NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-29-2004, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Default Turkey Red in MASTRO...

Posted By: Hal Lewis

http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=38413&CurrentRow=1

Can you guys please tell me which TWO cards are missing from this set?? Which players are on cards #19 and #20???

I am assuming that they are someone valuable?

Old 07-29-2004, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: FatBoy

19 Joss
20 Jordan

Keith

Old 07-29-2004, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Mastro "just so happens" to be missing the valuable GEHRIG ROOKIE card in this 1927 York Caramel auction:

http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=38321&CurrentRow=1

but they do NOT mention the card by name, only by "number".

Old 07-29-2004, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Are the JOSS and JORDAN cards hard to come by for that set and thereby valuable...

or would someone buying that set be able to find those two cards rather easily??

(I realize, of course, that this question may be obvious just based upon the fact that whoever collected 98 out of 100 was NOT able to find those two... but if they ARE rare, is there a particular reason??)

Old 07-29-2004, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: mzm55

Hal I dont know how difficult the Joss is to find but a simple ebay search and I found the Jordan for a little over a hundered dollars. Hope this helps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31719&item=5112140908&rd=1

Old 07-29-2004, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: FatBoy

Hal,

The Joss card seems to bring a little more then the rest of the average HOFs (probably just because of his short career), and the Jordan card is one of the horizontal ones, but as far as harder....no, not really.

I think the toughest one is that # 114 Rhoades card. I've been collecting this set for 15 years or so now and have only seen maybe 8-10 examples.

I will also add that #43-50 (these are the action shots) and the boxers are also toughies. Remember that the consumer was able to specify which card he/she wanted when mailing in their coupons making the obscure and less desirable players a little scarcer.

Keith

Old 07-29-2004, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Thanks!

(I wonder why someone would collect 98 of these and NOT have those two cards?) Weird.

Old 07-29-2004, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gary B.

If I had "only" 98 of the 100 cards in this set, I really wouldn't mind.

Old 07-29-2004, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

at least value=wise. Did others get that computer-generated announcement about consigning to Mastro's new
"Collector's Auction'? (I guess he thinks we're all heavy investors who never look at the cards we win). Anyway, if you have something to consign that you doubt would make the Big One (whoops, that's death, isn't it?), you should consider coinsigning to this one...found it a little insulting, and said so.

If it's not more than he can handle, it's a good excuse for not naming the card, only the number, of a missing Gehrig...

Old 07-29-2004, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

Mastro's auctions have been less "collector friendly" with each passing one. They seem to be catered more and more to dealers and those with bottomless pockets. The majority of collectors simply cant afford to go for 300 card lots of caramel cards or 120 card Old Judge lots, etc.

I dont blame them for selling in this fashion -- they are obviously doing quite well -- but there is a huge market for those of us where price is an issue.

Old 07-29-2004, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

...is (bleeped) if they do, and (bleeped) if they don't.

For some time now Mastro has been criticized by a number of collectors, including myself, for the larger size lots that are destined to the deep pockets or dealer's table. So now they are actully responding to our thoughts and they are still criticized.

I have yet to read in the literature from ANY auction house that their main goal is to serve collectors best interests. I don't understood why collectors feel that simply because dealers or auction houses are offering for sale what we treasure that they value the hobby as much as we do. Don't get me wrong, it would be great if they did but the truth is MOST are in it to make money and as long as they do it ethically I don't hold that aginst them. As much as I hate to admit it, from a pure business P.O.V. it is smarter to sell one lot for $3,000 than 10 lots for $300/each.

I'm actually looking forward to the smaller mastro auction offerings but that is just me.

As for the lot that doesn't mention by name that the Gehrig is missing I think it is a small oversight compared to some other questionable or hyped up decsriptions I've read over the years from the various auction houses.

Old 07-29-2004, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

There are a heck of a lot more avid collectors around who can't afford to drop four or five figures on a piece of cardboard for themselves because they are dropping six figures on a piece of sheepskin for their kids.

If Mastro aims to give the little guys a fighting chance, I, for one, applaud them.

Old 07-29-2004, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

but I just posted a day or two ago that my best estimate was that a lot of people wouldn't be able to afford what they wanted in the present auction (my catalogue just came...couple hours worth of entertainment), and I almost felt the e-mail about the "Colloector's Auction" was meant for me, personally. Now why the heck should that bother me? Don't try to understand women; it's hopeless; I ought to lnow--I AM one...

Old 07-31-2004, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Dawson

Louis Bollman has both #19 and #20 on ebay right now. They're PSA graded 5 and 4 respectively. Here are the links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31718&item=5112876770&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31718&item=5112876772&rd=1

Steve