NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-25-2013, 05:01 AM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
Can't wait to get this in mail. Sadly tho, due to my serious financial trouble, am trying to sell my Red Sox/jimmy fund Lic plate to help pay for it. Still, this is a nice item IMO, plus its BROOKLYN and a solid player or I wouldn't have bit.
Nice pickup Scott!!
Old 06-25-2013, 08:58 AM
Belltown Vintage

Scott, I thoroughly enjoyed your story about the 'almost perfect' game. Thanks for sharing this - almost makes up for the gut-wrenching feel after the event itself!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Scott, I thoroughly enjoyed your story about the 'almost perfect' game. Thanks for sharing this - almost makes up for the gut-wrenching feel after the event itself!
Thanks Scott! Almost...
Old 06-27-2013, 07:27 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

A couple of Pickups this month -#171 and #172

Old 06-27-2013, 10:41 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdmb View Post

After just looking at an '05 Yankees ball, these are very refreshing.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:46 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Just picked up from Mr. Stinson....1940's Bill McGowan signed baseball....ball also signed by Nick Polly. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372387580.943874.jpg
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 06-28-2013, 08:07 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Nice McGowan ball, one thing about McGowan that I could never figure out is why he had 2 totally different types of signatures. I recently bought a McGowan letter with a signature similar to your ball, but got concerned as Ron K.'s book makes no mention/illustration of that signature. I feel better after seeing your purchase.

Perhaps Jim can enlighten us with Bill's signature variations.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:14 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

It looks as if he had a "professional" signature and a "ball park" or "fan" signature. The signature on this ball is what I have mostly seen on formal letters and other items that may have been signed for someone of importance. Hopefully, Jim can give more background.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 06-28-2013, 08:21 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Tazdmb,

Love the Lieb/Gehringer/Heilmann signed book. I always try to squirrel them away when the price is right.

Quote:

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 06-28-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Thanks,

How many of these do you have? I am trying to find out more information about the signing, apparently it was at The Boston Store? (Per AH) but that is all the information I have. Any light you could shed would be appreciated.

Go State! (My alma mater)
Old 06-28-2013, 09:53 AM
Wayne Walker

Quote:

I was very close to bidding on this book. I'm glad I didn't seeing that it added to your impressive HOF collection. Good work!

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 06-28-2013, 11:31 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
I was very close to bidding on this book. I'm glad I didn't seeing that it added to your impressive HOF collection. Good work!
Thank you for not adding ANOTHER Heilmann to your collection, I can't imagine getting up to 232 and still being married

IMHO you have one of, if not the nicest, collections on the board that I have seen.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:33 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

This is not something I received this month, but seeing the phantom Perez Steele cards on this thread reminded me of a phantom Marvin Miller HOF postcard I have in my collection. I came across this mock up of Miller's HOF plaque many years ago, and since I knew he wasn't going to be inducted before his death, I thought it would be cool to get him to sign it. I resized the photo and gave it a yellow background to match the modern day HOF plaque postcards, and mailed it off to him in NYC. I have 2 or 3 in my collection signed at different times, can't remember the exact number. The first time I sent to him, the Mitchell Report had just been released. In my letter, I mentioned how I was disappointed that so many of today's big stars were named in the report. Boy was that the wrong thing to say! I received a note back from him written on three index cards ripping me a new one in a nice way. I'll post the note for you guys to see, if I can find it.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:48 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

My newest pickup in a trade from Gnaz.(Thanks Greg)
I always wanted one of these, but they always seemed to come up when I didn't have the money. Worked out a great trade for it.

Here is what it looked like when I got it.
Ty Cobb check

I don't care for the PS cards framed, so I removed the check and printed a print of one of my favorite Kreindler's to go with it. Here is what it looks like after I reframed it.

I think a bit more fitting for the "King of Swing"

Best,
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 06-29-2013, 12:34 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Fittingly, I just received this in the mail today from a fellow collector in a trade. It really caps off a great month of June for me, I was able to fill some significant holes in my projects namely my 1927 Pirates, I found my Joe Dawson. Today, I was able to scratch one off my list of Yankees Captains with this Everett Scott:

Last edited by mschwade; 06-29-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:55 PM
Richard Simon

Natalie Wood and Robert Wagner autographs on a souvenir menu/postcard.
Signed on the night of their engagement party.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wood1.jpg (72.7 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg wood2.jpg (77.8 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg wood3.jpg (74.4 KB, 171 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 06-29-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:26 PM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Not vintage, but I got my Carlos Zambrano no-hitter ticket...
Mogadishu would have been a more neutral site than Milwaukee.

But then again, I'm a little biased.

Nice pickup.

Looking for anything Bagwell or Biggio. Also interested in Don Wilson, JR Richard, Jimmy Wynn, Glenn Davis, Mike Scott, Ken Caminiti, Cool Papa, Paige, and DiMaggio. Framed auto's are a plus. Also, any Type 1's of Josh Gibson.

"I had to fight all my life to survive. They were all against me, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."- Ty Cobb
Old 06-29-2013, 06:12 PM

Default JimStinson

Nice Stuff All !
Had a pleasant surprise when I just bought a "Watermans" Autograph album today and find 2nd down from the right with the words "novelist" under his name my Favorite writer ERNEST HEMINGWAY !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg watermans.jpg (74.5 KB, 165 views)
Old 06-29-2013, 11:55 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
Nice Stuff All !
Had a pleasant surprise when I just bought a "Watermans" Autograph album today and find 2nd down from the right with the words "novelist" under his name my Favorite writer ERNEST HEMINGWAY !
And that Upton Sinclair is no slouch signature either!
Old 06-30-2013, 09:11 AM

Picked up this Curt Flood signed rookie. Thanks a lot Mike!

Old 07-01-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
Nice Stuff All !
Wow! What a nice pickup Jim.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:20 AM
Vincent Hecksel

tazdmb,

I should have four or five copies, plus two others with with only Lieb's signature, and two more with just Lieb & Gehringer's signatures (not sure why Heilmann is lacking from those copies).

One of the copies signed by all three came with an original newspaper advertisement announcing the appearance of Lieb, Gehringer, and Heilmann at a Detroit-area Hudson's Department store. The seller of this particular signed book copy was under the impression that was where thee signatures were obtained. But he was not the original owner of the book, so it might have been conjecture based on the inclusion of the newpaper ad among it's pages when he obtained it. I will try to locate that book copy and the advertisement. Not sure when it might be at the moment.

EDITED: I just realized that I do not have the advertisement. I believe the seller told me about the ad but he retained the original (why ?). I should have asked him to mailed me a photocopy of the advertisement but it failed to cross my mind at the time. In hindsight, I wish I had.

Quote:
Thanks,

How many of these do you have? I am trying to find out more information about the signing, apparently it was at The Boston Store? (Per AH) but that is all the information I have. Any light you could shed would be appreciated.

Go State! (My alma mater)

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 07-02-2013 at 08:49 AM.