NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-06-2023, 06:12 AM

Default Greg Morris Cards - A tiny, insignificant and petty rant

I love buying from GMC - one of the best dealers in raw vintage out there, if not THE best - extremely fair grading - seems to favor the collector, actually.

I have put together a 68 and 67 set in part thanks to GMC and am working on a 66.

I will keep going with GMC forever - absolutely love them!

BUT - good Lord, sometimes I think they're still using the pony express to get cards east through the Rockies, over the plains and across the Mississippi to the eastern seaboard!

I know they must do a huge business and shipping must be chaotic at times, but man!

But, never mind that - I will continue to do business with them until the end of my collecting days!
Old 04-06-2023, 07:53 AM
Tim Odeen

I hear ya. I just bought something online last week through a different vendor that qualified for two day shipping since I spent more than $100. Two day shipping should have been Saturday (April 1) or Monday. But here we are at Thursday of the following week. Tracking doesn't even show its in my hometown.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 04-06-2023 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-06-2023, 08:01 AM
Steve Birmingham

I doubt either business controls the post office.
Old 04-06-2023, 08:50 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I doubt either business controls the post office.
I don't need my item quickly, I bought planning ahead. Vendor sent it FedEx; I do very little business with them. But I've generally had good results with USPS. If it's at day 5-6 in shipping, it's because the vendor didn't send it 2 day. I'm in Spokane which is the regional hub for all USPS shipping in Eastern WA. If they shipped two day with USPS, it would have flown into Spokane and I would have had it in 2-3 days.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 04-06-2023, 08:52 AM
Larry More.y

I order frequently from GM... I also appreciate the quality of the cards. IMO, the delays in shipping appear to be the USPS on the surface. However, the use of a scan form (see below) can cause a buyer to presume that the USPS has taken possession of the mailing. But, this may not be the case.

Below is one example of a recent order of mine. I paid on Tues Feb 14, a label was created on Wed Feb 15. On Feb 15, my order appeared on their daily scan form and was scanned that day. Not until the Tues Feb 21 does the USPS show they actually accepted the package.

As I ship using the USPS scan form also, I realize that if my pickup is late in the day, the note "shipment received acceptance pending" will show for the date the form was scanned, but the mailings will not show as an origin acceptance until the following day.

When a label is created through ebay's 'buy labels in bulk" option, once created it will appear on that day's scan form. When I ship, my carrier scans my scan form barcode and takes my bin of mailings. He would have no idea if any of the mailings in the bin are actually the mailings that are on the scan form or not.

When the message "shipment received acceptance pending" appears with tracking, this satisfies ebay's shipping turnaround expectation.

So in my example, the USPS physically took possession of the mailing on either Mon Feb 20 or Tues Feb 21, not Wed Mar 15 as that was only the day that the mailing appears on the scan form. Once the mailing shows as "origin acceptance", it arrives within expected delivery time windows. The delay in shipment movement from Feb 15 through Feb 20/21 is not caused by the USPS.

Personally, I dont care how long it takes to ship (within reason), I appreciate the quality....I will gladly wait a few extra days for them to ship in exchange for their quality.
Attached Images
File Type: png 3.3.png (25.7 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg SCAN-FORM-IMAGE.jpg (88.6 KB, 376 views)
Old 04-06-2023, 12:05 PM

Can you imagine 400,000.00 orders shipped everyday…..I can wait the 5 to 6 days for things to actually ship. Not against you but it seems everybody is in the “I want my stuff now mode”……the poor USPS worker must hate his job seeing the mountain of cards everyday……

Last edited by Elberson; 04-06-2023 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-06-2023, 12:24 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberson View Post
Can you imagine 400,000.00 orders shipped everyday…..I can wait the 5 to 6 days for things to actually ship. Not against you but it seems everybody is in the “I want my stuff now mode”……the poor USPS worker must hate his job seeing the mountain of cards everyday……
This. I also imagine, if they don't have a special dedicated vehicle just to pick up GM's cards, I imagine there is a truck, daily, maybe 2, that delivers padded envelopes and other wares as well.

I've purchased numerous cards from GM and I wait approximately a month before I receive them. It is just something I have gotten used to, and with the border crossing/international shipping, I completely understand it.

It is certainly hard at times, not going to lie, awaiting a special card to arrive, but it is what it is.
Old 04-06-2023, 12:48 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

I'm a fan of GM myself...I have bought a lot of cards of them through my journey of where I am today. A lot. Mostly under graded as well...their VG/EX would pass as most's EX (same with that mantlerulz guy as well...) . Always happy with their cards.

It does take a while to ship and I live in the West coast like them. From my point of view, the fact they allow combined shipping for 7 days is HUGE. Once I win something I then hunt their auctions for the 7 days to see how many I can add...something brilliant they leverage of course. So given they are so patient with us as buyers, I really don't care how long it takes them, I can be patient in return. I am still surprised with their volume they never have messed up any of my orders, never.

Thumbs up from me...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 04-06-2023, 02:26 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberson View Post
Seriously, how does that even work? Does the USPS have to hire several extra people just for GM's volume?

I have bought more from GM than any other source a wide volume, but yeah, it can be slow going sometimes.
Old 04-06-2023, 02:46 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
I order frequently from GM... I also appreciate the quality of the cards. IMO, the delays in shipping appear to be the USPS on the surface. However, the use of a scan form (see below) can cause a buyer to presume that the USPS has taken possession of the mailing. But, this may not be the case.

Below is one example of a recent order of mine. I paid on Tues Feb 14, a label was created on Wed Feb 15. On Feb 15, my order appeared on their daily scan form and was scanned that day. Not until the Tues Feb 21 does the USPS show they actually accepted the package.

As I ship using the USPS scan form also, I realize that if my pickup is late in the day, the note "shipment received acceptance pending" will show for the date the form was scanned, but the mailings will not show as an origin acceptance until the following day.

When a label is created through ebay's 'buy labels in bulk" option, once created it will appear on that day's scan form. When I ship, my carrier scans my scan form barcode and takes my bin of mailings. He would have no idea if any of the mailings in the bin are actually the mailings that are on the scan form or not.

When the message "shipment received acceptance pending" appears with tracking, this satisfies ebay's shipping turnaround expectation.

So in my example, the USPS physically took possession of the mailing on either Mon Feb 20 or Tues Feb 21, not Wed Mar 15 as that was only the day that the mailing appears on the scan form. Once the mailing shows as "origin acceptance", it arrives within expected delivery time windows. The delay in shipment movement from Feb 15 through Feb 20/21 is not caused by the USPS.

Personally, I dont care how long it takes to ship (within reason), I appreciate the quality....I will gladly wait a few extra days for them to ship in exchange for their quality.
this was a nice summary. Obviously the H in S&H has to be considered.

I order from the Reds a couple times every year. And their handling of my package makes me think that they send packages to ship every 3 days. So taking that into consideration, that can effect your shipping time significantly, especially if you order on a Friday or Saturday. It might not even get to a carrier until 5 days later.

Old 04-06-2023, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post

This is interesting information.

For comparison, when I order from Burbank it isn't unusual to receive cards in 5 or 6 days, COMC (when they actually ship) is just as quick.

Like I said - I will order from GMC until the end of my collecting days. It was just something I noticed about their shipping.
Old 04-06-2023, 04:06 PM
Bob C.

Not wanting to disparage what any of have said about GM's supposed slow shipping sometimes, but did/have any of you ever bothered to read and pay attention to the topic of combined shipping in the FAQ section of all GM's listings on Ebay? It pretty clearly states that they offer combined flat S&H rates to the U.S. and Canada for all cards won WITHIN A SEVEN (7) DAY PERIOD. And since they seem to list tons of cards on Ebay pretty much every day, to be able to offer such a service to ALL their customers, and because they likely have many people winning multiple cards from them over multiple days quite a bit, they pretty much have to automatically wait a week or so after you've initially won something from them to see if you end up winning any more of their cards. That way they can combine and ship your winnings so as to SAVE YOU MONEY on combined S&H charges.

But not a one of you people posting seems to have recognized (or comprehended) this actually very good thing they do to help and potentially benefit their customers. Good lord, you have a seller that pretty much does a great job in everyone's opinion, yet they still get criticized for doing something for their overall customer's benefit. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't it seems. Wow, just wow!
Old 04-06-2023, 04:15 PM

I started this thread with a silly complaint/observation, not meaning to disparage GMC in any way.

I'm starting to regret doing so.
Old 04-06-2023, 04:32 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyinthehall View Post
I started this thread with a silly complaint/observation, not meaning to disparage GMC in any way.

HA.

It's a feature, not a bug.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 04-06-2023, 04:35 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Not wanting to disparage what any of have said about GM's supposed slow shipping sometimes, but did/have any of you ever bothered to read and pay attention to the topic of combined shipping in the FAQ section of all GM's listings on Ebay? It pretty clearly states that they offer combined flat S&H rates to the U.S. and Canada for all cards won WITHIN A SEVEN (7) DAY PERIOD. And since they seem to list tons of cards on Ebay pretty much every day, to be able to offer such a service to ALL their customers, and because they likely have many people winning multiple cards from them over multiple days quite a bit, they pretty much have to automatically wait a week or so after you've initially won something from them to see if you end up winning any more of their cards. That way they can combine and ship your winnings so as to SAVE YOU MONEY on combined S&H charges.

But not a one of you people posting seems to have recognized (or comprehended) this actually very good thing they do to help and potentially benefit their customers. Good lord, you have a seller that pretty much does a great job in everyone's opinion, yet they still get criticized for doing something for their overall customer's benefit. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't it seems. Wow, just wow!
+1. I always assumed when I won cards in their auctions that they were waiting to see whether I was going to win more in the coming days so that it would be a combined order with reduced shipping. Also, I recently forgot to pay for a single card won-- I thought all of my bids had been topped but apparently one held up, for something like $15. I spotted it about almost a week later and kind of wondered why I hadn't got the ebay email "pay for your auction notices" that seem to get spit out at you if you're more than a day or so late, but then it dawned on me that GM waits to see whether you're going to add to your order. To me it's refreshing, not annoying, the way they handle this part of their business.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 04-06-2023, 05:24 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:

They only wait a week if you don't send payment before then. Once I pay for any card or cards I've won from them, that starts their shipping process since they only offer the combined shipping before any payment is sent. I usually get a notification that my order has shipped within a day or two after sending payment.

I am used to it taking several days from when I get a notification that my cards have shipped until they actually show as received by the USPS, but the explanation about the scan form and the large volume of packages they send out at once makes the delay understandable. It has to take a while to process everything that they deliver to the USPS.
Old 04-06-2023, 05:27 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:

Geez Bob...I mentioned exactly what you said a few posts earlier and was praising them. Maybe read some of the posts first.

Old 04-06-2023, 05:30 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:

Its funny...all I am ready is positive notes on GM? Actually illustrating your point? Yes, shipping takes a little while, but totally worth it due to their quality and customer service...I haven't really seen anything disparaging unless I missed something. I love GM and routinely check their auctions...

Old 04-06-2023, 05:40 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
They only wait a week if you don't send payment before then. Once I pay for any card or cards I've won from them, that starts their shipping process since they only offer the combined shipping before any payment is sent. I usually get a notification that my order has shipped within a day or two after sending payment.

I am used to it taking several days from when I get a notification that my cards have shipped until they actually show as received by the USPS, but the explanation about the scan form and the large volume of packages they send out at once makes the delay understandable. It has to take a while to process everything that they deliver to the USPS.
+1
Old 04-06-2023, 06:21 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

Don't let Bob's asinine and long winded posts discourage you from ever posting anything.
It's clear to see in his haste to opine his opinion on most anything, he clearly doesn't read other people's replies first.
Old 04-06-2023, 07:09 PM
Bob C.

Quote:

That makes sense, but for as much business as they do, I'll bet they still wait a bit in case someone pays, and then right after doing so, suddenly sees more cards of GM's to bid on and win. I would imagine if GM instantly shipped right after payment, they'd have more than just a few customers suddenly contacting them about additional cards they won, and how they now want to combine shipping of everything so as to only pay S&H once.

But if they sent the initial purchase out right away, now they either have to eat the additional S&H costs themselves, or risk upsetting a customer. Ship too fast, someone ends up unhappy paying additional S&H costs and charges. So, slow the shipping down to appease those customers, and now you get others complaining about them being too slow. Like I said before, damned if they do, and damned if they don't.
Old 04-06-2023, 07:15 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
That makes sense, but for as much business as they do, I'll bet they still wait a bit in case someone pays, and then right after doing so, suddenly sees more cards of GM's to bid on and win. I would imagine if GM instantly shipped right after payment, they'd have more than just a few customers suddenly contacting them about additional cards they won, and how they now want to combine shipping of everything so as to only pay S&H once.

But if they sent the initial purchase out right away, now they either have to eat the additional S&H costs themselves, or risk upsetting a customer. Ship too fast, someone ends up unhappy paying additional S&H costs and charges. So, slow the shipping down to appease those customers, and now you get others complaining about them being too slow. Like I said before, damned if they do, and damned if they don't.
Below is what is on their listing. Once you pay, that's it for any more combined shipping. I'm sure they get asked but with the volume they do, I doubt they make exceptions.

Once you checkout and pay, your order is processed for shipment and we cannot combine any additional items you may win later. If you win our auctions over multiple nights within a 7-day period, wait until you are completely done shopping to pay and qualify for $4.95/$15 combined S&H.
Old 04-06-2023, 07:51 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
Geez Bob...I mentioned exactly what you said a few posts earlier and was praising them. Maybe read some of the posts first.
Wasn't pointing at you at all. Just started glancing through early comments and saw how everyone was saying great things about GM, but still must have had some issues with their perceived slow shipping, or why else were they bringing it up and commenting on it? And my apologies for not referencing/acknowledging your initial post. I had actually started my initial response much earlier, before your initial post, but then had to break away and take care of something else. So no, I must have missed your initial post when I got back on and saw the swing of possible cause now going to the USPS in the last few posts that were then in the thread. And the way those last few posts read, it sure didn't seem like you or anyone else had mentioned GM's 7 day combined shipping period during my absence. So obviously, it appears I wasn't the only one who missed (or misunderstood) your first post.

And since others didn't apparently "get it" from your post, maybe it was a good thing I did post as if you hadn't posted what you did after all. Because now they definitely get the point about the 7 day combined shipping period, and how it can most definitely affect how quickly GM gets items to their customers.
Old 04-06-2023, 08:04 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Below is what is on their listing. Once you pay, that's it for any more combined shipping. I'm sure they get asked but with the volume they do, I doubt they make exceptions.

Once you checkout and pay, your order is processed for shipment and we cannot combine any additional items you may win later. If you win our auctions over multiple nights within a 7-day period, wait until you are completely done shopping to pay and qualify for $4.95/$15 combined S&H.
Oh I know, and saw that as well Jay. But you know they're still going to get people calling and asking. In the end, it is probably a combination of factors, including the 7 day combined shipping period, their shipping volume, and a sprinkle of the USPS as well. But in the end, GM has a great reputation and customer base.
Old 04-07-2023, 06:34 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:

Bob, the fact that they combine shipping over 7 days IS a good thing. I've actually unknowingly gone as long as 9 or 10 days and they were fine with it.

But here is where you are off, if I read your comment correctly. None of the mailing issues begin until the order is paid and complete. As soon as you've paid, they begin the shipping process. So they aren't holding orders to see if you buy more. That works itself out as once you win cards, you leave them in your cart without paying, overnight they update an invoice combining previous days, and so on. Once you are done, you pay the updated invoice and shipping begins, which is where this discussion topic begins. What you are referencing happens before that point.
Old 04-07-2023, 06:41 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:

That's exactly what they do. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a huge cost to them, especially if you keep buying.

i paid for cards won over several days. Later that night, decided to bid on and won 2 more cards. I should have waited to pay but didn't think I'd win them. I emailed them asking if they could combine and add those 2 cards to the same package since it had not reached the post office yet. Their response was they could not add them to the package as it was already done and sealed, but would send them separately and happily adjust the postage. The 2nd order did not have any shipping charges. I even replied telling them I didn't expect them to do that and they said not to worry about it.

So they don't hold them for more purchases once paid.
Old 04-07-2023, 06:52 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

I too share your frustrations on time. I have been under the understanding that once packages are dropped off, they still have to be scanned individually as they are processed to leave that facility. From what I've gathered, the Post Office is overwhelmed. My belief is that a GM representative drops off packages daily and the PO gets to them as quickly as they can, which isn't quick, unfortunately. I'm sure the sheer volume is nuts. But there are other sellers who do heavy volume that don't have this problem.

One of the things that led me to believe this is what's going on, aside from my wife formerly working for USPS... I had a package sit for 8 days waiting on the Acceptance Pending scan. I got typical BS about the Post Office being slow from GM so I opened a case with USPS. I got a call from USPS, explained further the package had never made it out of LA, and magically within an hour, the package was scanned and on it's way to the LA processing center. That couldn't happen if GM still had the cards.

I'll also add, I am a big fan. I do think their "grading" has slipped some recently. But overall, it's still a positive. One thing I don't like to do, but have on a couple of occasions is return a card. Again, one of the benefits of using them is they have a no questions asked return policy and will even send you a return label. I have bought a ton of cards from them within the last year, and will keep doing so. But the shipping and sometimes off grading has slowed me down some. Ok, just a little. ha ha
Old 04-07-2023, 08:17 PM

I have never bought from GMC. I do watch plenty of their listings but their cards go for a premium and that's not how I buy cards.

I did make a purchase from gmcards2 earlier this year and it shipped the next day. I'm not sure if cards are handled differently between GMC and GMC2.
Old 04-07-2023, 09:00 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenx34 View Post
I too share your frustrations on time. I have been under the understanding that once packages are dropped off, they still have to be scanned individually as they are processed to leave that facility. From what I've gathered, the Post Office is overwhelmed. My belief is that a GM representative drops off packages daily and the PO gets to them as quickly as they can, which isn't quick, unfortunately. I'm sure the sheer volume is nuts. But there are other sellers who do heavy volume that don't have this problem.

One of the things that led me to believe this is what's going on, aside from my wife formerly working for USPS... I had a package sit for 8 days waiting on the Acceptance Pending scan. I got typical BS about the Post Office being slow from GM so I opened a case with USPS. I got a call from USPS, explained further the package had never made it out of LA, and magically within an hour, the package was scanned and on it's way to the LA processing center. That couldn't happen if GM still had the cards.

I'll also add, I am a big fan. I do think their "grading" has slipped some recently. But overall, it's still a positive. One thing I don't like to do, but have on a couple of occasions is return a card. Again, one of the benefits of using them is they have a no questions asked return policy and will even send you a return label. I have bought a ton of cards from them within the last year, and will keep doing so. But the shipping and sometimes off grading has slowed me down some. Ok, just a little. ha ha
The situation you describe in this post may be a one-off. Some of my shipments include lots which are shipped in multiple boxes. Ironically the first label prints the day following the payment, the next label originates the day before the USPS takes possession. Subsequently, both packages leave LA at the same time...this only means that GM has a lot of orders and is doing their best to ship as quick as possible.

In my previous example I showed the tracking info from a package they sent me. This order/payment warranted two boxes on the shipment. The first label creates on Wed Feb 15, the second label (see tracking info below) is created on Sat Feb 18. Both are received by the USPS at the same time. This scenario has occurred dozens of times over the past few years.

At least with my shipments, the USPS is NOT the cause of the added 3-4 days in delivery times.

Again, so BobC does not accuse me of being upset with this delay, I AM NOT UPSET BY THIS DELAY!

3.3.png
Attached Images
File Type: png 3.3b.png (18.4 KB, 221 views)
Old 04-07-2023, 09:52 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

You may very well be right. I will say this. It irritated me a bit when I sent a message and their response was to simply blame the post office. If in fact they are the culprit, it irritates me a bit more that they would blatantly lie about it.

That said, I am about to go to bed and I will not lose any sleep over it.
Old 04-08-2023, 07:24 AM
Tom S

Quote:
Bob, the fact that they combine shipping over 7 days IS a good thing. I've actually unknowingly gone as long as 9 or 10 days and they were fine with it.

But here is where you are off, if I read your comment correctly. None of the mailing issues begin until the order is paid and complete. As soon as you've paid, they begin the shipping process. So they aren't holding orders to see if you buy more. That works itself out as once you win cards, you leave them in your cart without paying, overnight they update an invoice combining previous days, and so on. Once you are done, you pay the updated invoice and shipping begins, which is where this discussion topic begins. What you are referencing happens before that point.
Right on. I have won literally thousands of auctions from GMC over the past 10 years. I receive an invoice from them every night so I have the option to pay whenever I want during the 7 day period. It's nice to know they are not strict with the 7 day period.

I live in Western New York and have nearly always received my order within 7 days of paying.

If I have a criticism of GMC it is their auctions seem to be slightly disorganized (ex mixing 1972 Football and Baseball singles together) could be a little annoying working from a checklist. I attribute this to many collectors liquidating their collections. At any given time they have approx 27000 auctions going. Pre pandemic it was close to 20000.
Old 04-08-2023, 04:25 PM

I have purchased plenty of cards from Greg Morris. He does seem to list the grades conservatively. I agree that the shipping time, I'm in Tennessee, is really really slow. It does seem odd that it usually takes 4-6 days for a purchase to start moving through the USPS system. That said, I factor that into the cards I but from GM.
Old 04-08-2023, 05:21 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I like the combined shipping. Grading is usually reasonable unless it's an altered card they don't want to acknowledge. I've bought 10 times or so when a card has slipped through the cracks or the handful of times they've had something I really needed.

On the downside, they won't put any description of a card even if they really should (like that T205 Hoblitzell), take forever after payment to actually ship, and their cards regularly sell for far far more than I can get the same card for from a random guy on eBay. I usually just buy from nonprofessional sellers when the card is an easily found card, because I will pay ~40-80% of the price that it would cost to get it from sellers like Morris. I just don't see any benefit to myself in paying more.
Old 04-08-2023, 05:43 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I like the combined shipping. Grading is usually reasonable unless it's an altered card they don't want to acknowledge. I've bought 10 times or so when a card has slipped through the cracks or the handful of times they've had something I really needed.

On the downside, they won't put any description of a card even if they really should (like that T205 Hoblitzell), take forever after payment to actually ship, and their cards regularly sell for far far more than I can get the same card for from a random guy on eBay. I usually just buy from nonprofessional sellers when the card is an easily found card, because I will pay ~40-80% of the price that it would cost to get it from sellers like Morris. I just don't see any benefit to myself in paying more.
I get what you're saying, but buying from random sellers on Ebay is a little like playing Russian Roulette, especially with condition.

I recently have bought lots from 4 or 5 different sellers (new to me) and the results have been quite mixed. A High Grade NMMT - MINT 1975 lot was terrible. It was EX-EXMT at best with all kinds of damaged corners, among other things. Another group of 1975s, described as NMMT, Clean and Sharp as well as being assured they were centered and high quality cards. They were anything but. I kept 3 out of 41 cards and returned the rest. Very disappointed. A couple of groups of 1980s and a larger lot of 1980 Topps checked out pretty well. Lastly, a big bulk lot of 1970s was so far from the description it was ridiculous.

Despite Greg Morris imperfections, the good outweighs the bad and that's why so many buy from him and he gets the prices he does.
Old 04-08-2023, 06:22 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I get what you're saying, but buying from random sellers on Ebay is a little like playing Russian Roulette, especially with condition.

I recently have bought lots from 4 or 5 different sellers (new to me) and the results have been quite mixed. A High Grade NMMT - MINT 1975 lot was terrible. It was EX-EXMT at best with all kinds of damaged corners, among other things. Another group of 1975s, described as NMMT, Clean and Sharp as well as being assured they were centered and high quality cards. They were anything but. I kept 3 out of 41 cards and returned the rest. Very disappointed. A couple of groups of 1980s and a larger lot of 1980 Topps checked out pretty well. Lastly, a big bulk lot of 1970s was so far from the description it was ridiculous.

Despite Greg Morris imperfections, the good outweighs the bad and that's why so many buy from him and he gets the prices he does.
I have no issue finding other sellers with decent scans to evaluate condition just as I do with a Morris listing. Morris doesn't sell many large lots, when he does you get a picture of 9 of the cards and little to no description at all. He won't even list what card #'s you are getting. He primarily sells commonly found single cards with many copies up on eBay at any given time. I can frequently find BIN's on cards in the same grade or even higher sitting there for less than Morris manages to sell the same card for.

I find a decent scan and my eyeballs do a much better job than trusting any seller. Morris misgrades or overlooks plenty of alterations, though I usually find his scale reasonable. Here's a recent example (https://www.ebay.com/itm/38547926068...Bk9SR4D5p7XsYQ), a Ted Williams listed as "EX-EXMT (stain)" which seems.... one hell of a stretch. Over 50% of the card is a large coffee stain. EX-EXMT? I doubt if I won it and subbed to SGC I would get even half of that grade. If I described it as EX-EXMT (Stain) and sold it to someone here there is no way they would be happy. He got $610.75 for it. 1 day before a PSA 4 was bought for $600.

Many like his business (see the Tip Top Spahn trimming thread for the proof) and will clearly him much more money for the same grade than they will pay someone else. I just don't see the reason to do that. There are tons of non-professional sellers who post good scans, it will cost less, they will ship it to me faster (I will often receive the card from them before Morris even actually ships). He's clearly doing something right (good for him!), but I just don't see what the benefit to me as a buyer is to use his operation instead of others at this point.
Old 04-08-2023, 10:34 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
He primarily sells commonly found single cards with many copies up on eBay at any given time. I can frequently find BIN's on cards in the same grade or even higher sitting there for less than Morris manages to sell the same card for.
100% agree...if you solely buy at GM and don't know what the cards should max out at, you can easily overspend...which I am sure is wonderful for those who consign with him. When I am looking at multiple bids of a certain year I'm attacking (lately it's been the quest to continually upgrade my sets), I will go in and put my max bid early...and then let the chips fall where they may. I may bid on 30 cards...and maybe only win 2 to 4 cards...sometimes more, sometimes I win none...but when I do win it's a deal. You just can't get caught up watching those auctions end and bid on pride or the competition of it all, which I know what the seller/consigner is hoping for. I just check at the end and see the damage, ignoring all the "you've been outbid" notices...haha.

I can tell you that I do often get some killer deals this way, and it's fun to see what I end up with.

Old 04-09-2023, 05:51 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

Quote:
I have no issue finding other sellers with decent scans to evaluate condition just as I do with a Morris listing. Morris doesn't sell many large lots, when he does you get a picture of 9 of the cards and little to no description at all. He won't even list what card #'s you are getting. He primarily sells commonly found single cards with many copies up on eBay at any given time. I can frequently find BIN's on cards in the same grade or even higher sitting there for less than Morris manages to sell the same card for.

I find a decent scan and my eyeballs do a much better job than trusting any seller. Morris misgrades or overlooks plenty of alterations, though I usually find his scale reasonable. Here's a recent example
Like Jenx34, I also played that game, numerous times, and eventually just stuck with GM because of that.
There are many factors. Choices being number one and the fact they are all in the same place. Shipping was no# 2, until their shipping fees, like numerous others, went up.

Maybe other cards outside of 52's are a different story, (I never bought lots) but for variety, shipping costs, selection, etc. I really enjoy the one stop hassle free, never having an issue, shopping.
Old 04-09-2023, 07:42 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
That's exactly what they do. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a huge cost to them, especially if you keep buying.

i paid for cards won over several days. Later that night, decided to bid on and won 2 more cards. I should have waited to pay but didn't think I'd win them. I emailed them asking if they could combine and add those 2 cards to the same package since it had not reached the post office yet. Their response was they could not add them to the package as it was already done and sealed, but would send them separately and happily adjust the postage. The 2nd order did not have any shipping charges. I even replied telling them I didn't expect them to do that and they said not to worry about it.

So they don't hold them for more purchases once paid.
Chris,

I understand that for an individual order/situation it is not necessarily a huge thing or cost to them, but have you been listening to everyone talking about how big and huge their sales volume is? Those instances you refer to, where they may end up eating the S&H costs, are much more likely to be at least a feeewwww more than you or anyone else may realize. I don't know that for a fact, nor can I in any way prove that beyond a doubt. I am just using decades of business experience, and my observations and knowing how many humans like to think and operate. My guess is that the bottom line cost(s) to GM for such S&H cost adjustments is a lot more, in both time and actual money, than you may suspect. As a possible comparison (and note, I am saying possible, not absolutely factual) look at Ebay and their Ebay Authentication Program for cards. How many people have already asked and wondered when they're going to start charging for it. But for many, the initial reasoning and supposition as to why Ebay put this into place to begin with is that Ebay may have gotten tired of eating the costs involved when there ended up being issues, and they couldn't effectively lay total blame on the buyer or seller, and/or tried to not alienate and piss off said buyer or seller. So to Ebay, this Authentication Program may actually be quite cheaper for them, even though there are still many people complaining and moaning about the Authentication Program.

Does anyone really think that GM cards so strictly and perpetually follows every single one of their written rules and such, that they would maybe never tell their employees something like hold off on shipping things a few days after they're paid so we don't end up getting so many more requests from customers after the fact wanting combined shipping discounts and refunds? You do live in the same world as I, don't you? Assuming so, you know the world is filled with people who'll try to get a discount or break from a seller like GM cards every day of the week, and twice on Sundays, simply because they can?

If I were GM, I can very easily see telling my employees to slow down on the shipping a few days so as to not end up eating more S&H costs to satisfy those that either didn't understand or even/ever bother looking at my rules on combined shipping, or that knew about the rules but didn't care and still wanted the discount anyway. And then when someone did call in now with a complaint and/or question about why the slow shipping, I'd tell the employees to just tell them to blame it on the post office. Lord knows everyone is well aware of all the recent issues that the postal service has been having, and would most likely just accept that explanation and quit bothering GM about it going forward. Also, even if they didn't like slightly slower shipping, as many posting in this thread have so clearly stated, GM mostly does a great and accurate job of selling, and offers so many items that people want. And even if it takes a couple extra days in the mail to get their cards, they aren't likely going to ever stop buying from GM anytime soon.

So, as I stated before, GM Cards appears to be damned if it does, and damned if it doesn't. So as any good and smart businessman/woman would do, GM may choose to let the people/group that would end up being the least costly or damaging to the company's bottom line, which in this case I think would be the people complaining about the shipping times, continue to be damned!!!!! And like I said earlier, I have no clue if that is truly the case behind GM's supposed slow shipping issues, but it is logical and makes some sense as a possible reason as to why things may not always get delivered as fast as some may want.

And in your specific case Chris, maybe the shipping crew was a little ahead of the game, and so as to not just be sitting around doing nothing, got some orders (including one of yours) out a little earlier than usual. You obviously were aware of and knew the written rule for GM Cards and their combined shipping discounts, yet you chose to purposely ignore their very clear written rules and ask for something you knew you didn't deserve anyway, RIGHT? So why shouldn't GM cards deserve the same ability to veer a little bit from their own written rules at times, without getting grief from others? And I'm not in any way saying you are giving GM Cards grief, but others are. I'm just trying to explain how they may not always be following their own written rules to a T, all the time, and I would also say in their case, justifiably so.

And one last point/comment directed at those that seem to have issues or concerns with GM Cards shipping times. Okay, it takes an extra week or so from when you thought you'd get your card(s) from them.......SO WHAT! Did you get the cards you wanted? Did you only pay a price you were happy with and/or willing to pay? Were the cards in the relative shape/condition you wanted and/or expected? Those are really the only true pertinent and relative questions one should be asking. Now if it was taking weeks or even months before getting those same cards, alright, then I could see some concerns and issues making sense because now you are worried about something having happened to your cards in transit. But what exactly different would you have done or would have happened or occurred in your life had you gotten your cards say 5-6-7 days earlier, or even later? And if the answer is well, nothing, then guess what all the complaints and moaning are about........................the same, NOTHING!