NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-25-2004, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Default Chadwick's 1868 "Game of Base Ball" book

Posted By: HalleyGator

I recently purchased 2 separate original editions of this book ... and have been told that only 12 or so original editions still exist.

I am trying to verify this fact (and maybe buy another orignal edition if someone has one for sale) so please chime in if you know of someone who owns a first edition of this book (regardless of whether they would sell it or not) so that I can get a count. THANKS!!

SO FAR ... I know that:

I have 2 first editions ... the Baseball HOF has 2 first editions ... and the NYPL has 1 first edition.

Anyone know of any others residing out there in private collections?

Old 05-25-2004, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

I heard that the New York Public Library just came across over three dozen first editions in their basement recently and they're going to sell them on ebay next month.

Old 05-25-2004, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Hal--There are roughly 12 of these. I have access to one in better condition than the two recently sold in Mastro's and Lifson's auctions that is a higher quality edition---cloth cover/better shape. That copy will set you back $15K if you have an interest in cornering the market. The other two copies are ca ca do do compared to this copy.

Old 05-25-2004, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry

I love vintage baseball books, but I have never owned that one.

Looking through my auction catalogs and notes from the last several years, I came across six copies alone. I believe that they are all different. Those, along with the five that you noted and the one that Jay has makes 12 right there.

I am sure that there are several more in private sports collections and others in the hands of book collectors and who know about other libraries or museums.

I would guess that there are minimally 25+ in existence.

Old 05-25-2004, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry sloate

This book was only issued in a first edition, there were no subsequent editions. There were two distinct printings; one with board covers with a fancy paper design affixed to it; and a deluxe edition with a cloth cover that had the title gold-stamped. Two recently appeared in auction- Mastro and Robert Edwards- and both were the lesser quality paper variety. I have personally handled about five copies of both style, including at one time both the copies that were auctioned, and it is fair to say that there are about a dozen out there total, but it's just a guess. My own personal copy is the deluxe edition. The paper covers tend to wear more quickly and don't have really great eye appeal. Among baseball book collectors it is considered one of the two or three most important baseball books, and are highly treasured.

Old 05-25-2004, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry sloate

Of the comment that "six copies have come up for auction in recent years": I follow rare baseball books closely and the book recently sold in Robert Edward Auctions has reappeared three or four times. I used to own that copy at one time.

Old 05-25-2004, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy Leiderman

Well Hal, at least you paid less for the one on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4131809591&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I was following it too, but guess I'll settle for the reprint edition (If I ever find one for sale)

Old 05-25-2004, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve k

If anyone could post a website where the contents of this book can be read, it would be very much appreciated.

Old 05-25-2004, 06:00 PM
Administrator

There was a reprint done in 1983 I think ... so you could get a copy of that fairly inexpensively and see exactly what the original contained because the content is identical.

Jay: You know that I never say never ... so send me some information and a scan! Which edition (of the two Barry described) is it?

Jaime: The EBay copy looks a lot nicer than the one from Robert Edwards auction ...

and Barry is correct in that the one I purchased from REA has appeared a few times in the past years ...

so there have not actually been six different versions of the book sold recently.

Old 05-26-2004, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Hal--The one I was referring to was the delux edition. I will send a scan in a few days.

Old 05-26-2004, 07:24 AM
Administrator

I have lost your e-mail address, so give it to me again. Thanks

(Or anyone who has Jay's e-mail can e-mail it to me please)

hal.lewis@att.net

Old 05-26-2004, 07:35 AM
Administrator

curl777@aol.com

Old 05-26-2004, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry

Here is what I could find. I could have sworn that I had seen a copy in one of my Leland’s catalogs, but I could not locate it. Also, I know that I have seen a copy in and old bookseller's catalog which I no longer have.

My quick list appears to include six different copies, with one being offered on three separate occasions. Add to that the three in libraries that you mentioned, the one that Jay has, plus the one that Barry has, and the count is up to 11.

As I mentioned before, I am sure that there is an equal amount that have not been offered through our hobby auctions and are in private collections or other libraries. 20 examples would seem like a good guess to me, but I would definitely defer to someone like Barry, who is obviously very familiar with historical books.

It is certainly one of the most important of all baseball books. I have a Camden copy and enjoy reading it.

Ebay: May, 2004
Cardboard covers, light splitting inside.
$6,708

Robert Edward: May, 2004
Appears to be the same copy as sold by Mastronet in July, 2000
$10,350

Mastronet: December, 2003
Cardboard covers, general overall wear

Mastronet: December, 2002
Appears to be the same copy as sold by Mastronet in July, 2000
$6,568

Mastronet: August 2002
Cardboard covers, splitting inside, cover wear.
$7,589

Sotheby’s: September, 1999
Neither picture nor description of type, well worn covers.
$8,625

Mastronet: July, 2000
Cardboard covers, cover tears, slight separation
$14,088

Mastronet: March, 1998
Cloth covers, light splitting inside.
I can not locate that prices realized

Old 05-26-2004, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Great research Harry!