NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-10-2015, 10:26 AM
Just/in C.ornett

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
If it's a real buyer. Hey real possible buyer I have some high grade nicely centered cards that I can sell you at only 125% of recent market prices.
Here I am, the "real possible buyer".... If you actually have some "high grade, nicely centered cards", feel free to contact me with scans and prices and I will evaluate the opportunity. If not, please refrain from attempting to act like blowhard on some online forum.

I won these auctions because I wanted them more than anyone else. I don't shill, I buy cards at prices that I feel are appropriate, whether you do or not. I have collected for years and purchased cards from multiple sources including ebay, Memory Lane, Heritage, Greg Bussineau. I have bid at Mile High and SCP as well.

If any of you have a problem with the way I bid or who I choose to bid with, too bad. I deal with people I trust and Brent/PWCC Auctions is one of them.

My email is jcornett@liquidity-partners.com.

** BTW, the reason my account has bid retractions was over a heavy disagreement with a seller I was bidding with. My confidence in their service was affected so I canceled my bids with them to protect myself. The seller later apologized, and I later won all the cards that I bid on in which the bids were retracted.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickitup View Post
Here I am, the "real possible buyer".... If you actually have some "high grade, nicely centered cards", feel free to contact me with scans and prices and I will evaluate the opportunity. If not, please refrain from attempting to act like blowhard on some online forum.

I won these auctions because I wanted them more than anyone else. I don't shill, I buy cards at prices that I feel are appropriate, whether you do or not. I have collected for years and purchased cards from multiple sources including ebay, Memory Lane, Heritage, Greg Bussineau. I have bid at Mile High and SCP as well.

If any of you have a problem with the way I bid or who I choose to bid with, too bad. I deal with people I trust and Brent/PWCC Auctions is one of them.

** BTW, the reason my account has bid retractions was over a heavy disagreement with a seller I was bidding with. My confidence in their service was affected so I canceled my bids with them to protect myself. The seller later apologized, and I later won all the cards that I bid on in which the bids were retracted.
Nice response and thanks for the quick phone call just now. As I said, and you are very cool with, your name needs to be out here in this kind of post....per the rules. So it is Jus.tin C0rn.ett....thanks man!!
Old 11-10-2015, 10:43 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
I deal with people I trust and Brent/PWCC Auctions is one of them.
I like this statement and all, but PWCC doesn't own any of the cards they sell. They are merely a broker. Subject to whatever whims the consignor has on his items. But hey, as long as you are happy.....
Old 11-10-2015, 02:28 PM
Just/in C.ornett

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I like this statement and all, but PWCC doesn't own any of the cards they sell. They are merely a broker. Subject to whatever whims the consignor has on his items. But hey, as long as you are happy.....
Just like any other auction house where a consignor might call a friend and have his friend bid on an item for him? It is risky to do that, but perfectly legal. As long as the person who wins the item pays for the item in full including auction house fees, it is legal. Risky, but legal.

Why do you believe that it matters or not to buyers if PWCC sells their own private items or if they represent the owners of the cards and charge a fee for their service? Just because PWCC has chosen broker sports cards on ebay and you has a loyal group of buyers does not make them less legitimate. I can assure you Memory Lane, Heritage, SCP and other auction houses have loyal followings as well.

Personally, I use PWCC almost exclusively to purchase items on ebay because I buy all sorts of cards from all sorts of sports and am a busy person. I do not want to spend hours upon hours searching ebay listings looking for items that might or might not be a fit for my collection. I find it very easy to type in PWCC into ebay search and sort what I might be interested in that day. Its very simple and easy for a collector like me to find items this way as compared to searching online forums or contacting friends, past acquaintances or other auction houses who might or might not have what I am looking for at the time.

Any speculation as to what my motives are or why I use certain sellers more than others is pure conjecture and quite frankly a waste of everyone's time. If I am willing to pay more than you, I will win, period. If am am not the highest bidder, I won't win. It is real simple. Some of the folks here that are alleging shilling and bid retractions have not a clue what the 'real story' is are likely just pissed because they don't have a green cobb now and want one at a below market price. But of course, that speculation is conjecture on my part and really doesn't hold any weight.

So yes "as long as I am happy" I will use whoever I want to buy or sell items for me. It saddens me to think that Brent or my reputation is at question here when in reality, it could not be farther from the truth. Collecting cardboard is supposed to be fun...

I do not see any further need to justify my actions here on this board, but some of the folks just need to grow up and worry about their own issues. Stop trying to create conspiracy theories to explain random market fluctuations and record prices. The real reason prices are going up is there are buyers that are willing to pay more for cards than have been paid in the past. When the buyers are outnumbered by the sellers, prices will go down. Its called a 'market' and it is quite simple.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:53 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
So yes "as long as I am happy" I will use whoever I want to buy or sell items for me. It saddens me to think that Brent or my reputation is at question here when in reality, it could not be farther from the truth. Collecting cardboard is supposed to be fun...
Questioning you was never my intent, and I am sorry that you took it that way. Was merely speculating along with others on the various pricing jumps of cards. You explained it beautifully, however, whenever someone sees a card that "normally" sells for $2,000 all of the sudden sell for $6,000+, it naturally raises eyebrows. That is all - don't take it to heart. In fact, in would be unnatural to NOT question a card that has a set price range all of the sudden go for triple above that figure.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 11-10-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:17 PM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Questioning you was never my intent, and I am sorry that you took it that way. Was merely speculating along with others on the various pricing jumps of cards. You explained it beautifully, however, whenever someone sees a card that "normally" sells for $2,000 all of the sudden sell for $6,000+, it naturally raises eyebrows. That is all - don't take it to heart. In fact, in would be unnatural to NOT question a card that has a set price range all of the sudden go for triple above that figure.
Jeeze Rob everyone's on a witch hunt today. You seem to be the prime suspect. Not sure why................(Serious).
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 11-10-2015, 03:24 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshchisox08 View Post
Jeeze Rob everyone's on a witch hunt today. You seem to be the prime suspect. Not sure why................(Serious).
Comes with the territory. I guess people don't like to be questioned/confronted?? I have no clue...
Old 11-10-2015, 02:59 PM
Steven Finley

I read all of that above me, checked the bid history on the Baker, saw where you got taken behind the woodshed, and put my head in hand.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:52 PM
Archive

Quote:
Just like any other auction house where a consignor might call a friend and have his friend bid on an item for him? It is risky to do that, but perfectly legal. As long as the person who wins the item pays for the item in full including auction house fees, it is legal. Risky, but legal.

Why do you believe that it matters or not to buyers if PWCC sells their own private items or if they represent the owners of the cards and charge a fee for their service? Just because PWCC has chosen broker sports cards on ebay and you has a loyal group of buyers does not make them less legitimate. I can assure you Memory Lane, Heritage, SCP and other auction houses have loyal followings as well.

Personally, I use PWCC almost exclusively to purchase items on ebay because I buy all sorts of cards from all sorts of sports and am a busy person. I do not want to spend hours upon hours searching ebay listings looking for items that might or might not be a fit for my collection. I find it very easy to type in PWCC into ebay search and sort what I might be interested in that day. Its very simple and easy for a collector like me to find items this way as compared to searching online forums or contacting friends, past acquaintances or other auction houses who might or might not have what I am looking for at the time.

Any speculation as to what my motives are or why I use certain sellers more than others is pure conjecture and quite frankly a waste of everyone's time. If I am willing to pay more than you, I will win, period. If am am not the highest bidder, I won't win. It is real simple. Some of the folks here that are alleging shilling and bid retractions have not a clue what the 'real story' is are likely just pissed because they don't have a green cobb now and want one at a below market price. But of course, that speculation is conjecture on my part and really doesn't hold any weight.

I do not see any further need to justify my actions here on this board, but some of the folks just need to grow up and worry about their own issues. Stop trying to create conspiracy theories to explain random market fluctuations and record prices. The real reason prices are going up is there are buyers that are willing to pay more for cards than have been paid in the past. When the buyers are outnumbered by the sellers, prices will go down. Its called a 'market' and it is quite simple.
Forgive me for being dumb, but when did it become "perfectly legal" as you put it, to have a friend bid on an item up for auction?

Jantz

Last edited by Jantz; 11-10-2015 at 09:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-10-2015, 10:06 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantz View Post
Forgive me for being dumb, but when did it become "perfectly legal" as you put it, to have a friend bid on an item up for auction?

Jantz
8 total posts and seems to have an agenda.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:24 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:

Must be nice. You wouldn't happen to be Alex Rodriguez with all that spare loot would you?
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 11-10-2015, 10:42 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Here I am, the "real possible buyer".... If you actually have some "high grade, nicely centered cards", feel free to contact me with scans and prices and I will evaluate the opportunity.
Justin, are you the one who bid up that T206 Home Run Baker card to $6k?

Because if so,you may be getting some of those opportunities that you mentioned.

And also, welcome to the board.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:45 AM
Just/in C.ornett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post

Because if so,you may be getting some of those opportunities that you mentioned.

yep, that was unfortunate. you live and learn i guess
Old 11-10-2015, 10:46 AM
Just/in C.ornett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post

but i will also say that i wasnt the only one that wanted the card... i was just willing to pay a little more than the under bidder
Old 11-10-2015, 05:51 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:

Hello Justin. Well, nobody's called you out yet so I'll be the first. 18 bid retractions in 6 months? So your saying all with one seller? and none with PWCC?

An issue that has been raised in this thread is bidding at the top end of an auction to find the underbidders max bid; then retracting to expose the underbidder as the winner. -***o ebay username has been exposed as someone doing this multiple times, but NOT on PWCC auctions (just to be clear). I'm assuming this is not the type of retraction you have?

I also do a majority of my bidding with PWCC, and Brent is aware of my disgust with retractors. I'm confident he has a sound policy to address these issues with e-bay's support.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:09 PM
Just/in C.ornett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmode View Post
Hello Justin. Well, nobody's called you out yet so I'll be the first. 18 bid retractions in 6 months? So your saying all with one seller? and none with PWCC?

An issue that has been raised in this thread is bidding at the top end of an auction to find the underbidders max bid; then retracting to expose the underbidder as the winner. -***o ebay username has been exposed as someone doing this multiple times, but NOT on PWCC auctions (just to be clear). I'm assuming this is not the type of retraction you have?

I also do a majority of my bidding with PWCC, and Brent is aware of my disgust with retractors. I'm confident he has a sound policy to address these issues with e-bay's support.
I had one retraction with the PSA 8 53 mantle at Pwcc a few months ago where I made a mistake and retracted the bid. I then came in and rebid correctly like an appropriate person should do.

The other retractions were with two sellers specifically, one had 15 and one had 2. The one where I retracted 15 bids I ended up winning all the auctions on some 86 fleer psa10s. The user for the other two retractions were because I bid on the items and didn't pay attention to who the seller was. The seller had screwed me over on a deal and I refuse to do business with him.

I can definitely see the benefit in retractions to discover max bids, but it does not at all preclude you from losing to someone using a snipping service.

There are actually some honest people out there that retract for reasons other than intentional manipulation. Whether it be inexperience or ignorance, it needs to be policed and watched, but if you guys don't want someone to see your max bid, don't put one in. Wait till the end and use your snipping services. Don't try to blame retractors, look in the mirror and blame yourself.

Have a great evening.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:42 PM
Just/in C.ornett

Lastly, if the prices I paid were so crazy high for everything, why haven't multiple high quality home run baker t206 cards showed up on eBay ? Why haven't any more high quality PSA green Cobb's surfaced yet as available? Why haven't all those folks with the top notch PSA 8 mantles put them up for auction if these prices really are crazy??

I can tell you why... Because people don't want to sell. Until they do, prices will keep going up... It amazes me that people don't understand that, but that's fine by me because I get to enjoy these cards and make money at the same time while some folks that like to complain and conspire on message boards will be left with nothing but their incorrect assumptions about guys like me.

Welcome to America !
Old 11-11-2015, 09:19 PM
Larry

Quote:
Lastly, if the prices I paid were so crazy high for everything, why haven't multiple high quality home run baker t206 cards showed up on eBay ? Why haven't any more high quality PSA green Cobb's surfaced yet as available? Why haven't all those folks with the top notch PSA 8 mantles put them up for auction if these prices really are crazy??

I can tell you why... Because people don't want to sell. Until they do, prices will keep going up... It amazes me that people don't understand that, but that's fine by me because I get to enjoy these cards and make money at the same time while some folks that like to complain and conspire on message boards will be left with nothing but their incorrect assumptions about guys like me.

Welcome to America !
+1. Q. David Bowers used to say in his excellent coin books that "the collector is king," but I'm not sure if he realized the actual nuts and bolts of the "why." The collector is indeed king when it comes to very scarce or rare desirable items, because while value = demand over supply mathematically, the "supply" factor that is relevant is not the number of examples in existence, but instead those that are available. If we start, for example, with 1,000 people going after 50 rare, desirable cards, then the ratio of demand to supply is 20 to one, equating to a certain value. Then let's say that a couple of years down the road, 40 of those collectors attain their cards, tucking them away into their own private collections where they will remain for decades (in the coin hobby, they refer to this as being "in strong hands"). That leaves 960 collectors seeking just the 10 examples that are still available, leaving the demand to supply ratio at 96 to one. Nine more are sold,and held by collectors who are not buying to flip the card, but because they like it and want to keep it, leaving merely one example still available for sale. Our ratio of demand to supply has now risen to 951 to one--anyone think that the price has remained within a country mile of what it was when our ratio was 20 to one?

In reality, the situation is a bit more dynamic--as a substantial portion of the available supply is absorbed by true collectors, and prices begin to dramatically rise, the situation attracts additional attention and demand, causing the demand end of the equation to rise even further. Supply too rises, however, as the rising prices leverage some of those previously sold out of what were intended to be permanent collections--the price has simply gotten too high for some to resist the impulse to cash in. The internet, as well as the number of quality auctions, has accelerated the pace at which the above phenomenon has occurred for the simple reason that you used to either have to attend many, many quality shows or get lucky with an SCD ad in the '90's to find that rare, desirable "unicorn" of a card you'd been seeking for many years. Now, with communications enhanced between buyers and sellers, even the rarest will come to your attention far, far sooner.

Econ 101 in a dynamic nutshell!

Hope you all find your unicorns--I'm putting mine together before too many "big boys" come looking for them!

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 11-11-2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:12 AM

Default What have we learned

If everything is legit, this was a great milestone for our hobby. This price appreciation is what we all hope for. And a lesson learned as well - acquire good stuff, the best we can afford. I can't wait for someone to put up a 5.0 T206 green Cobb (well centered) with asking price in the $7-10k neighborhood and see if someone bites. Then we will know more. And will this sale bring up prices on slightly lesser demand cards as well?
Old 11-12-2015, 10:31 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
If everything is legit, this was a great milestone for our hobby. This price appreciation is what we all hope for. And a lesson learned as well - acquire good stuff, the best we can afford. I can't wait for someone to put up a 5.0 T206 green Cobb (well centered) with asking price in the $7-10k neighborhood and see if someone bites. Then we will know more. And will this sale bring up prices on slightly lesser demand cards as well?
BINs are not the same as auction.....would be interesting to see what happens in an auction.. psa 4 is for sale here on net54
Old 11-12-2015, 02:53 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

"I have friends, not hobby friends but friends in general, who could (probably justifiably) be accused of lots of things.."

Forgive me Kenny, but this is the best line in this entire thread. Feels like a statement Steve Martin would of made in "The Jerk".
Old 08-10-2016, 09:07 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

I started this thread last year when I thought there was going to be an uptick on Green Cobbs and i had sold a few of them. Then came the PWCC aucttion last year.

The Green Cobb that blew the roof and opened the green cobb craze that was subject to this thread that sold for 15k with pwcc, is now at 15k with HA BEFORE buyers premium.

Guess PWCC is not crazy with prices afterall. There was lots of talk about shilling with PWCC on this card. One more bid and the consignor starts to make serious dough assuming the card didnt change hands since pwcc last year...

http://www.pwccauctions.com/item.php?item_no=1180713

http://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/19...umbnail-071515

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-10-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:43 PM
Jeff

Or blame ebay for creating (and continuing to refine) a playground for the ill-intentioned.
Please note: this is a general observation.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 11-10-2015 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:56 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Or blame ebay for creating (and continuing to refine) a playground for the ill-intentioned.
Please note: this is a general observation.
I have two very thoughtful comments for you. First, eBay (actually, a segment of its horde of MBA know-it-alls) could not and still cannot understand the difference between commodities and collectables, so they push(ed) sellers to use the fixed price format and destroyed auctions. It was one of those "business decisions" that was really smart, unless you actually could care about the difference. Idiots.

However, eBay isn't to blame for the scumbagginess of buyers and sellers who use it to try to exploit others. It's *only* a platform; who the hell wants to police the nonsense that goes on there?

Bill
Old 11-10-2015, 07:05 PM
Jeff

Very thoughtful Bill.

As was ebay's obfuscation of bidder id's and the like.

It's a virtual harmonic convergence.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 11-10-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:06 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Very thoughtful Bill.

As was ebay's obfuscation of bidder id's and the like.
Don't forget...the ability for sellers to leave negative feedback. In my opinion, if you don't pay for a card, and a seller has to perform a NPB claim against you, that should warrant an AUTOMATIC negative.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:44 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

"sniping" services with one p. Snipping is not a service I'm interested in.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:51 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
"sniping" services with one p. Snipping is not a service I'm interested in.
I am a snipped Jewish person who uses a sniping service.

As for the bid retractions, I find them to be a huge problem, generally speaking. I doubt very many of the large bid retractors will come on and explain themselves the way Justin (hi Justin) has. And I almost guarantee their stories won't hold water the way his did.