NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-19-2021, 06:09 PM
Scott Russell

Default Returned cards from trimming scandal showing up on Ebay

That's right folks you can buy these altered, outed cards at an even HIGHER price than you would've paid for them at this time last year and they're still altered and still in PSA numeric holders. I know, I know you can't wait to get your hands on these.

Maybe this is why they should've gone back to PSA and not the seller!

Blowout link with the cert #'s

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1290614

Ebay items with the same cert #'s

https://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Nap-La...AOSwo79f%7E6dL

https://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Walter...AOSwr2Bf%7E6aO

Sharing someone else's discovery, can't take credit for spotting this.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 01-19-2021 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:20 PM
pete ullman

unreal
Old 01-19-2021, 07:41 PM
Andrew Mc.Gann

It really was all just a big smokescreen. I wonder if the FBI agents who were supposedly at the Natty a couple years ago were paid actors.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:41 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
That's right folks you can buy these altered, outed cards at an even HIGHER price than you would've paid for them at this time last year and they're still altered and still in PSA numeric holders. I know, I know you can't wait to get your hands on these.

Maybe this is why they should've gone back to PSA and not the seller!

Blowout link with the cert #'s

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1290614

Ebay items with the same cert #'s

https://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Nap-La...AOSwo79f%7E6dL

https://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Walter...AOSwr2Bf%7E6aO

Sharing someone else's discovery, can't take credit for spotting this.
Yes, sending these cards back to the seller was the worst option.

Sending them back to PSA would only be option #2, because they’d find a way to stand behind the grade, thus limiting their liability (altered or not).

Best option would have been to send them to the FBI as evidence of fraud.

These slime balls always have a way of wiggling off the hook. People need to start boycotting these sellers.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:43 PM
Scott Russell

I guess when we're told the seller is cooperating with the FBI I foolishly figure that the fraudulent cards aren't just being resold on the QT.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 01-19-2021, 07:45 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrotn77 View Post
It really was all just a big smokescreen. I wonder if the FBI agents who were supposedly at the Natty a couple years ago were paid actors.
Covid hit at the perfect time for card doctors, TPAs and corrupt dealers. It likely put the FBI investigation on a back burner, while enabling the acceleration of prices for this trash.

Last edited by perezfan; 01-19-2021 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:37 PM
Al Stein

So does Probstein know?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2021, 09:52 PM
Br1an N0Iff

Unfortunately I don’t think he really cares.....Why should he? Not like a lot has been done in the hobby to stop this. Card after card being doctored and what happens? There’s an even bigger wait to get a card graded.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:03 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

The most valuable card to me is one that shows very clearly there is no possible signs of trimming. Signs of edge wear on a 100+ year old card with wide borders carries a premium over skinny perfect borders.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 01-20-2021, 06:17 AM
James M.

Terrible. I know how well documented this stuff has been on blowout, but I just don't understand how ebay, just doesn't care.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:25 AM
And.rew Fin.kel.man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
The most valuable card to me is one that shows very clearly there is no possible signs of trimming. Signs of edge wear on a 100+ year old card with wide borders carries a premium over skinny perfect borders.
I agree 100%...
Old 01-20-2021, 07:34 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Part of the problem...

Is that while it may be crystal clear to us and folks at blowout, I presume from a legal standpoint at best these cards are "alleged to have been altered", but not found so in a legal sense.

While I am no fan of nor choose to do business with Probstein or PWCC for reasons clearly called out in multiple threads here, there are clearly many who choose to ignore the facts and poor service in pursuit of stuff.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I kind of took that to heart...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t206master2c.jpg (78.0 KB, 1347 views)
Old 01-20-2021, 09:59 AM
Andrew Mc.Gann

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Covid hit at the perfect time for card doctors, TPAs and corrupt dealers. It likely put the FBI investigation on a back burner, while enabling the acceleration of prices for this trash.
I understand while some might think along these lines, but the FBI wasn't tasked with trying to cure or treat Covid. If there ever was an investigation, it could have continued. I never saw any change in the way the alleged offenders operated, so I have a hard time believing there was ever any heat on them at all.
Old 01-20-2021, 11:03 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I kind of took that to heart...
Now that's how they should look, nice cards Leon.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 01-20-2021, 12:04 PM
And.rew Fin.kel.man

Quote:
I understand while some might think along these lines, but the FBI wasn't tasked with trying to cure or treat Covid. If there ever was an investigation, it could have continued. I never saw any change in the way the alleged offenders operated, so I have a hard time believing there was ever any heat on them at all.
Federal grand juries have essentially been shut down for 8+ months. I'm quite sure that the very limited time/space the feds have to put in witnesses isn't being used for a baseball card/fraud investigation. If they plan to indict anyone they will probably need to have numerous witnesses testify in GJ... I am hopeful that is the case.

Last edited by Andrew1975; 01-20-2021 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 12:17 PM
D@ve R1cks

Joke's on all of you that are willing to pay 10x the price for the same card, just because it comes in a "PSA 8" holder instead of "PSA 2".

Suckers
Old 01-20-2021, 01:12 PM

Scott, you are saying the Lajoie and wajo have been called out as altered and then link the massive blowout thread. Which posts in that zillion-post thread contains the analysis of Lajoie and Wajo?
Old 01-20-2021, 01:18 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Terrible. I know how well documented this stuff has been on blowout, but I just don't understand how ebay, just doesn't care.
Because they get paid...
Old 01-20-2021, 01:32 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
I have spoken to enough people in the industry who were directly questioned by the FBI to know this is not the case.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:27 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Scott, you are saying the Lajoie and wajo have been called out as altered and then link the massive blowout thread. Which posts in that zillion-post thread contains the analysis of Lajoie and Wajo?
Sorry I couldn't pin point them, but those cert #s are in the BO thread yes.

Old 01-20-2021, 11:41 PM
Br1an N0Iff

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I have spoken to enough people in the industry who were directly questioned by the FBI to know this is not the case.
Then they’re doing a knock down job on curtailing the doctoring. It’s arguably worse now then it was a year ago. How much more evidence or dollar amount loss do they need?
Old 01-21-2021, 11:25 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintboy View Post
Then they’re doing a knock down job on curtailing the doctoring. It’s arguably worse now then it was a year ago. How much more evidence or dollar amount loss do they need?
Yes, it's a huge disappointment, given the glaring and obvious evidence. The shady side of the hobby is making money hand over fist with no apparent repercussions. I don't know the extent that Covid interfered with the FBI investigation, but have to believe it was a "Godsend" to those who were most under the microscope.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:53 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

PWCC's lawyer responded back to this thread on a different message board; figured it was worth posting here.

Quote:
Calvindog
Altered Cards Going Back to Their Owners?
There's a thread on Net 54 claiming that cards which were outed as altered on Blowout were returned to the owners, only to be resold on eBay.

Such a claim suggests that every outed card was immediately seized by either the FBI or the auctioneer who sold the altered card -- and then somehow returned them to their owners, only to be resold at a later time, still in the holders. Of course, this is false. I'll explain this s l o w l y so that everyone understands what occurred:

After the cards were outed, at least in the case of PWCC, attempts to contact the purchaser of the altered cards were made. In many instances contact was made and the owner of the card was given the option to receive a refund in exchange for the return of the card to PWCC. When the refund was requested, the card was returned to PWCC and sent to the FBI where it remains, never to be resold again.

In many instances, owners of outed cards refused the refund as they wanted to keep the cards despite allegations of alteration. It happened a LOT of times. Either the owner didn't believe their card was altered or didn't care. At that point, the FBI did not break down any doors to seize said cards. Sorry. The outed card, therefore, potentially could be resold despite the best efforts of PWCC.

In many instances, contact was made, but the owners no longer owned the outed card. In some instances the new owners could be found and contacted and again offers were made for partial or full refunds in exchange for the return of the card. Sometimes the cards were returned (and sent to the FBI) and in other instances they were not. Again, the FBI did not break down any doors to seize said cards. The outed cards, again, could potentially surface for sale later down the line.

In many other instances, no contact was made at all despite the best efforts of telephone calls, emails, etc. These cards potentially could end up being resold.

So, again, to clear up what was falsely claimed on Net 54: no outed cards were sent back to the owners by the FBI or PWCC. Any cards which resulted in refunds were sent from the owners to PWCC to the FBI. No cards were sent to PSA. If anyone has any questions on this subject, it might make some sense to think before posting or -- gasp -- contact me first with a question. I know, I know, asking questions takes some effort and effort is hard, but at least misinformation will not be spread publicly.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by Leon; 01-22-2021 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:32 PM
Scott Russell

That is not even remotely what is being suggested. I am stating, not suggesting, that cards that have been returned to the seller are now popping up for sale again. I personally know the previous owner of the Johnson card that was bought and returned. I have never mentioned any company or individual names in this thread other than PSA.

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 01-22-2021 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:37 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Well, I'm not sure if he still has a Net54 account, but you could message him. I know there are plenty of cards still circulating, and even FOR SALE IN THE VAULT. So saying that PWCC is not doing it, is kind of BS in the first place. But I figured I'd put his post out there, and then shoot it down.

Why is PWCC still selling any cards submitted by Moser? Surely they have a list of his cert numbers and can check any submission against them?
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...90614&page=281

I thought Brent was going to create a website with all questionable cards... you know, to help the honest customers of theirs... like they enjoy doing. Maybe it's coming Monday.

Last edited by swarmee; 01-22-2021 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

To judge Brent's current hobby purity I would need to see a list of his current and recent consignors. I doubt anyone is going to give me such a list.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-22-2021 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:33 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Well, I'm not sure if he still has a Net54 account, but you could message him. I know there are plenty of cards still circulating, and even FOR SALE IN THE VAULT. So saying that PWCC is not doing it, is kind of BS in the first place. But I figured I'd put his post out there, and then shoot it down.

Why is PWCC still selling any cards submitted by Moser? Surely they have a list of his cert numbers and can check any submission against them?
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...90614&page=281

I thought Brent was going to create a website with all questionable cards... you know, to help the honest customers of theirs... like they enjoy doing. Maybe it's coming Monday.
The previous owner of the Johnson has messaged him.

Old 01-22-2021, 05:23 PM
Albert Bee

Default altered

Just awful
Old 01-28-2021, 06:59 PM
Brian May
Bri.an M@y

Q: Doesn't this Speaker look short / trimmed?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T20...59.m1431.l2649
Old 01-28-2021, 07:01 PM
Brian May
Bri.an M@y

Q: This Red Cobb may have been the same "trimmed 5" from a few months ago - or, are my eyes playing tricks on me?

-Brian May

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T20...wAAOSw97BgBgYU
Old 01-28-2021, 07:12 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum97 View Post
Q: Doesn't this Speaker look short / trimmed?
Bottom edge has a weird cut, slopes inward so quite possibly. Back paper loss today would get a 1.5 at most. Way overgraded. Card probably graded over 20 years ago based on the cert number.

Add: As to the Cobb, it's been in that holder for like 15 years, based on cert numbers. The Altered 5 was a Carolina Brights back and had much better centering.

Last edited by swarmee; 01-28-2021 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:33 PM
Brian May
Bri.an M@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Bottom edge has a weird cut, slopes inward so quite possibly. Back paper loss today would get a 1.5 at most. Way overgraded. Card probably graded over 20 years ago based on the cert number.

Add: As to the Cobb, it's been in that holder for like 15 years, based on cert numbers. The Altered 5 was a Carolina Brights back and had much better centering.
Thank you for clarifying.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:25 PM
A.J. Johnson

I think much more blame needs to be put on the TPG's who have graded altered/trimmed cards. Too bad the TPG's don't take the high road and actively buy back these outed cards as part of their guarantee. We all understand the grading process isn't perfect and humans make mistakes, so why not just admit to the mistakes and make the marketplace more secure by taking these out of circulation?
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 01-29-2021, 05:47 AM
Joe

Nothing ever happens. Big investigation. Everyone waiting with bated breath for the indictments, arrests and jail time. Everyone be patient they say. The law works slowly. Yeah bunch of BS.
So the results are the doctors laugh and continue to create more trimmed cards. Remember the big T206 auto scandal? Yeah all those forgers are in jail. Yeah right. Time passed. What is it 2-4 years now? Just buy a laser and auto pen and you’re in business. Like I said BS and only ones care are the saps that got took or stuck with the cards.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dueces View Post
Nothing ever happens. Big investigation. Everyone waiting with bated breath for the indictments, arrests and jail time. Everyone be patient they say. The law works slowly. Yeah bunch of BS.
So the results are the doctors laugh and continue to create more trimmed cards. Remember the big T206 auto scandal? Yeah all those forgers are in jail. Yeah right. Time passed. What is it 2-4 years now? Just buy a laser and auto pen and you’re in business. Like I said BS and only ones care are the saps that got took or stuck with the cards.
Ask Mastro, Doug and Theo how their long investigation turned out. It took years but they didn't end up with happy faces. I doubt some of these trimmers and fraudsters end up with happy faces either. The FBI doesn't send 6 or more agents to the National to check out the cards and crappy venue food. (except the food at the Net54 Dinner....believe 3 agents made it there)_

Old 01-29-2021, 11:19 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum97 View Post
Q: This Red Cobb may have been the same "trimmed 5" from a few months ago - or, are my eyes playing tricks on me?

-Brian May

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T20...wAAOSw97BgBgYU
Short yes, trimmed no.

How it got a 4 with that paper loss is another thing entirely.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:38 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Short yes, trimmed no.

How it got a 4 with that paper loss is another thing entirely.
Could just be really old grading standards, but it could also be that the card was soaked improperly, got slabbed, then degraded over time.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:10 AM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
I think much more blame needs to be put on the TPG's who have graded altered/trimmed cards. Too bad the TPG's don't take the high road and actively buy back these outed cards as part of their guarantee. We all understand the grading process isn't perfect and humans make mistakes, so why not just admit to the mistakes and make the marketplace more secure by taking these out of circulation?
Not trying to be a cyber stalker, but interesting take given the Jackie posted by Leon.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:43 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlesinj View Post
Not trying to be a cyber stalker, but interesting take given the Jackie posted by Leon.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:14 AM
Tony Conte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
To judge Brent's current hobby purity I would need to see a list of his current and recent consignors. I doubt anyone is going to give me such a list.

You have to ask him nicely. He can deal with the card doctors and bad consignors
but you'll need to extend him some courtesy.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:35 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by aconte View Post
You have to ask him nicely. He can deal with the card doctors and bad consignors
Maybe I can get my old deal back where he would tell me whether a card was safe or not.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:25 AM
Duncan

Quote:
I totally agree. I've been buying more and more raw cards that clearly have not been trimmed and enjoying them just as much. Even modern sized cards in a recessed screw down, like the 1962's I've been working on, look as good to me as any slabbed card.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:59 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by aconte View Post

Yep, don't think for one second you can go over there, flash a badge, and make him nervous.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk