NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-17-2021, 08:58 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanip View Post
Very few can have a Van Gogh, so others look for alternatives like Banksy or Pollock. So you can be in a situation where you have a paradigm shift in how we view card prices, thanks to TINA asset price reflation. When Ruth’s get priced out, people will turn to Gehrig... or Mays/Aaron for Mantle. And trickle down.
Agree! I don't covet 52 Mantle. But there are opportunities for me outside of that card, Red Cobb, 33 Goudey Ruth. I've turned to photos, Wheaties premiums, and memorabilia. And I love what I purchase. I will never have the money for 52 Matle. But why does that matter when the are 1000s of options. It's cost-benefit analysis.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 01-17-2021, 09:05 PM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

It’s tuff knowing that some of the cards we sold recently are gone forever. I always thought I could buy them back if I wanted but the recent run up there’s no way. I sold my centered psa 3 52 mantle last year and it would cost 2-3x now to get it back.

Last edited by Popcorn; 01-17-2021 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:29 PM
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Mind boggling - over 1400 graded by PSA (9 cards that are graded 9 or higher). That doesn't include the SGC graded cards.

Over $5M for that card? Where does that put the PSA 8 Wagner?

I think I could have found a better way to waste that much money. Perhaps a few million bucks to Jeff Bezo's GoFundMe page when he was getting divorced...

Could you imagine if someone like Bezo's got a bug up his ass to collect nothing but the most popular highest graded stuff. He'd beat down every bidder and then the prices would look even more inflated than they are now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJNVKj13R-Q

Chew on this video and let it digest. Specifically, minutes 16:25 - 17:45. The entire video is informative but watch specifically the times above. And don't discount this guy - he owns and has owned some great cards in our hobby.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:46 PM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJinPA View Post

Chew on this video and let it digest. Specifically, minutes 16:25 - 17:45. The entire video is informative but watch specifically the times above. And don't discount this guy - he owns and has owned some great cards in our hobby.

I see it on Twitter and it amazing. Cards are literally positions now.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:50 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
It's not so much about boomers dying as it is where the taste of collectors is heading. The prior generation had a huge appreciation for certain players and certain sets. You cannot say that those interests will hold when the modern market is evolving so quickly and steers collectors away from those interests.

For example, and as a microcosm of changing hobby appetites, the complete set has taken a back seat to the insert.
This seems plausible to me. I'm 44, and our generation by and large had some connection to the previous one - the bands they listened to, the players they watched, etc. The Beatles and the Stones were still a part of our world, as were Mickey, Willie and Hank.

I don't get that sense from the next generation. It seems like the link to the past has been pretty much severed, and things from before their lifetimes hold very little interest or relevance. Of course this is a huge generalization, but I do think there's something to it. I would imagine the pace of technological change has a lot to do with it.

EDIT: I thought of another example - TV shows. When I was growing up, reruns of shows from the ‘50s and ‘60s were common on networks like Nickelodeon. I don’t think that happens much now, what with the massive amounts of new content available. I know Friends is still popular with young people, but I think that’s the standard nostalgia for things from their childhood, rather than something being relevant that came before their lifetimes.

Last edited by ASF123; 01-17-2021 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:17 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
This seems plausible to me. I'm 44, and our generation by and large had some connection to the previous one - the bands they listened to, the players they watched, etc. The Beatles and the Stones were still a part of our world, as were Mickey, Willie and Hank.

I don't get that sense from the next generation. It seems like the link to the past has been pretty much severed, and things from before their lifetimes hold very little interest or relevance. Of course this is a huge generalization, but I do think there's something to it. I would imagine the pace of technological change has a lot to do with it.

EDIT: I thought of another example - TV shows. When I was growing up, reruns of shows from the ‘50s and ‘60s were common on networks like Nickelodeon. I don’t think that happens much now, what with the massive amounts of new content available. I know Friends is still popular with young people, but I think that’s the standard nostalgia for things from their childhood, rather than something being relevant that came before their lifetimes.

I think that's a very accurate description. Most of the Millennial and Post Millennial generations are very much only concerned with the "Here and Now." It's certainly a cultural shift, I blame social media partially for it. The only History they seem concerned with are things that happened right around the time they were born, or "manufactured Nostalgia" as I like to call it. We see this with certain brands or clothing items taking off after appearing in a Television show. It's a generalization sure, but I'd say 9/10 teenagers I work with fit this mold.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:08 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJinPA View Post

I heard the word "manipulation" somewhere just past the 17:45 mark. Pretty crazy stuff. What the guy seems to be saying is that rich people are playing this game. What happens when these rich guys get bored and find out that not everybody is going to play this game. For now, it's pretty sad to see this occur because those people are screwing up a hobby for the average Joe hobbyist. Now if average Joe hobbyist bought a ton of stuff a few years back and sells it now, then average Joe can make a few bucks and hope for the bubble to burst so average Joe can buy it back on the cheap.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:42 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I've found it's easy for kids to say " that's before my time" to discredit something that should be known in popular culture. IE Mr Ed posted in a another thread. It was before I was born, but I know it's a talking horse

"The cards market, unlike the stock market can be manipulated. This is why money people are saying "Im getting into cards'"

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 01-18-2021 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:01 AM
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I heard the word "manipulation" somewhere just past the 17:45 mark. Pretty crazy stuff. What the guy seems to be saying is that rich people are playing this game. What happens when these rich guys get bored and find out that not everybody is going to play this game. For now, it's pretty sad to see this occur because those people are screwing up a hobby for the average Joe hobbyist. Now if average Joe hobbyist bought a ton of stuff a few years back and sells it now, then average Joe can make a few bucks and hope for the bubble to burst so average Joe can buy it back on the cheap.
What's most interesting to me is that, for example, the 1986 Fleer Jordan PSA10 is not rare (unless your definition of rare is 312). It
s surely an iconic card and that certainly has value, but there are 7,700+ PSA8's for goodness sake! Mantle? 3 PSA 10's, 6 9's and 35 8's.....

SO I agree with you on the 'manipulation' - I'd hate to be holding the bag is those Jordan's go up to 400K (...and I know I risk this not aging well)..... just making the comparison, anyway!
Old 01-18-2021, 10:22 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I just look at auction houses (goldin) and when I see 36 jordan RCs in ONE auction, I shake my head. I mean Ken should just go back on the home shopping network and peddle these "investments" to grandmas for their grandkids future

Look what the last peak in the 80s did for modern cards. Now the little 1/1 stamp has sucked in a new generation. Many, like myself "invested" in those peak years 87- 91 and saw our fiti6re 401k plan leave in a uhaul for a pittance. Quite a few of those young collectors never returned to the hobby, and I honestly hope the same doesnt happen this time.

Old 01-18-2021, 12:18 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I think another factor in pricing on elite cards is securitization taking out the risk inherent in holding a vastly appreciated card. Collectable offered an IPO of a 1986-87 Fleer basketball wax box, fully funding the offering in minutes at $139,650. Shares were priced at $25 each. The owner of the box retained $44,750 in equity (24%), putting the full value of the box that likely contains at least three Michael Jordan rookie cards at $183,750. New investors who are only in for the price of a bad dinner each can afford to wait and see what the future brings; a single guy holding a vastly appreciated card maybe cannot. Take the pressure off the original owner to sell the item and you reduce supply, hence increase demand on the remainder. Collectors who can afford an elite card then will either have to wait (which none of us are particularly good at; we are all Smeagol-Collectors: "we must have the precious") or chase what is left out there. Some will downgrade and pressure prices on lesser cards, which will ripple across and down the hobby until there is price pressure all across the board. I think this mentality has something to do with why lower grade examples of key cards are rising so fast. A sale like this Mantle sale generates a wave of FOMO across the board and across the chat boards.

In some ways the pressure towards treating cards as investments tracks where collecting life has gone in two respects:

1. Modern collectors are used to this aspect of new card issues. Topps already follows an IPO model for releasing new cards via its online platform and Topps Now programs. You buy a 'share' of the IPO by buying a card or a set without knowing what the total population of the card might be hence how rare it might be. For example (for those who don't know how this works), I signed up for the Topps Now 2020 Dodgers postseason team set: 10 cards plus a bonus card for each round of the playoffs the team made it through (since they won the WS I get 14 cards total; the 14th card shipped last week, finally). A total of 378 fans did so. The 'float' on the base team sets is 378, and there are randomly inserted signed short prints of varying degrees. So collectors of modern cards are already used to a model that mimics a stock IPO and that has price rises and falls much like an IPO.

2. The internet has changed collecting immeasurably for us old farts. I've often said and heard it said that we don't really collect cards, we collect scans of cards. My best cards are buried in a safe deposit box; all I have on hand are the scans. In fact, I haven't seen the actual cards since April because of COVID lockdowns. Is it that far removed from this model of collecting to sell the actual card and keep the scans?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-18-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I think that's a very accurate description. Most of the Millennial and Post Millennial generations are very much only concerned with the "Here and Now." It's certainly a cultural shift, I blame social media partially for it. The only History they seem concerned with are things that happened right around the time they were born, or "manufactured Nostalgia" as I like to call it. We see this with certain brands or clothing items taking off after appearing in a Television show. It's a generalization sure, but I'd say 9/10 teenagers I work with fit this mold.
No disrespect but this perspective is as old as it is stale. Literally every generation has said the same thing about the next, mostly because it appreciates things differently and that has always made an old person mad for whatever reason there is to be mad that young people's opinions are different.

My point was about hobby trends. There is no reason whatsoever for the 52 Mantle to be the card it is. Boomers have just decided it is so. But you can't depend on that notion continuing forever when you're talking about a crop of collectors who will have their own version of Mantle to collect (Mike Trout).

We're already seeing collecting trends change, probably forever. Whereas the Topps Rookie was an all important card in the past, now it is Bowman that is king. Again, simple example of a widening trend. Look at the big cards of guys who came into their own as my generation grew up:

Griffey - it's Upper Deck, not Topps
Jeter - it's SP, not Topps
Ichiro - it's SPX, not Topps
Pujols - it's Bowman, not Topps
Trout - it's Bowman, not Topps

Last edited by packs; 01-18-2021 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:05 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I think another factor in pricing on elite cards is securitization taking out the risk inherent in holding a vastly appreciated card. Collectable offered an IPO of a 1986-87 Fleer basketball wax box, fully funding the offering in minutes at $139,650. Shares were priced at $25 each. The owner of the box retained $44,750 in equity (24%), putting the full value of the box that likely contains at least three Michael Jordan rookie cards at $183,750. New investors who are only in for the price of a bad dinner each can afford to wait and see what the future brings; a single guy holding a vastly appreciated card maybe cannot. Take the pressure off the original owner to sell the item and you reduce supply, hence increase demand on the remainder. Collectors who can afford an elite card then will either have to wait (which none of us are particularly good at; we are all Smeagol-Collectors: "we must have the precious") or chase what is left out there. Some will downgrade and pressure prices on lesser cards, which will ripple across and down the hobby until there is price pressure all across the board. I think this mentality has something to do with why lower grade examples of key cards are rising so fast. A sale like this Mantle sale generates a wave of FOMO across the board and across the chat boards.

In some ways the pressure towards treating cards as investments tracks where collecting life has gone in two respects:

1. Modern collectors are used to this aspect of new card issues. Topps already follows an IPO model for releasing new cards via its online platform and Topps Now programs. You buy a 'share' of the IPO by buying a card or a set without knowing what the total population of the card might be hence how rare it might be. For example (for those who don't know how this works), I signed up for the Topps Now 2020 Dodgers postseason team set: 10 cards plus a bonus card for each round of the playoffs the team made it through (since they won the WS I get 14 cards total; the 14th card shipped last week, finally). A total of 378 fans did so. The 'float' on the base team sets is 378, and there are randomly inserted signed short prints of varying degrees. So collectors of modern cards are already used to a model that mimics a stock IPO and that has price rises and falls much like an IPO.

2. The internet has changed collecting immeasurably for us old farts. I've often said and heard it said that we don't really collect cards, we collect scans of cards. My best cards are buried in a safe deposit box; all I have on hand are the scans. In fact, I haven't seen the actual cards since April because of COVID lockdowns. Is it that far removed from this model of collecting to sell the actual card and keep the scans?

Point number 2, is just I've never thought of it like that until you said it. I haven't been able to transfer some of my cards over to a safety deposit box yet, but it's very true. Once they're in the box, I'll merely be looking at the scans rather than the actual cards itself. It's kinda sad in a way.

Donscards.

Last edited by Seven; 01-18-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:12 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
No disrespect but this perspective is as old as it is stale. Literally every generation has said the same thing about the next, mostly because it appreciates things differently and that has always made an old person mad for whatever reason there is to be mad that young people's opinions are different.

My point was about hobby trends. There is no reason whatsoever for the 52 Mantle to be the card it is. Boomers have just decided it is so. But you can't depend on that notion continuing forever when you're talking about a crop of collectors who will have their own version of Mantle to collect (Mike Trout).

We're already seeing collecting trends change, probably forever. Whereas the Topps Rookie was an all important card in the past, now it is Bowman that is king. Again, simple example of a widening trend.
Shakes cane...

Get off my Lawn!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 01-18-2021, 01:18 PM
James M.

Quote:

We're already seeing collecting trends change, probably forever. Whereas the Topps Rookie was an all important card in the past, now it is Bowman that is king. Again, simple example of a widening trend. Look at the big cards of guys who came into their own as my generation grew up:

I was just basing it off what I've been seeing with teenagers I've been working with. They seem to value a lot more of the "here and now" but I suppose you could be right. I didn't mean for it to sound like a "back in my day" sort of thing. And yes I noticed that with the Bowman Rookies of the modern cards as well.

Donscards.

Last edited by Seven; 01-18-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:56 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Yes on Grif. Yes on Jeter. Debatable on Ichiro. Debatable on Pujols. Debatable on Trout.

If we are talking about autograph variations, or insert variations, fine. But the standard base card for 90% of collectors is still king, in most cases being Topps or Topps update.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 01-18-2021, 02:47 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

I have three teenage sons and sadly only one is slightly interested in cards at the moment but all three almost exclusively listen to music from the 60’s-80’s and talk about history and the past with me constantly. Interestingly enough my 17 year old broached the subject of cards with me today because he heard about the sale of the 52 Mantle. He figured I had one. Hahaha. I said son if I had one we would be living a lot differently haha.

Quote:

Last edited by campyfan39; 01-18-2021 at 04:31 PM. Reason: spelling erro
Old 01-18-2021, 02:58 PM
J0hn H@rper

While I've always been all for disputing that "the new generation sucks worse than mine" fallacy, the virtual technology of the last 20 years is bound to cause differences though. Today's kids and teenagers won't be worse (or better) people than prior generations, but they aren't growing up with the same level of in-person contact as everyone else prior. That's bound to cause some major sociological changes going forward.

And as far as the complaints about high card values: sure you can see the "I can't buy what I want anymore" side, but still.....turning a sharp increase in your possessions' worth into such a negative is unreal. That takes the grass is always greener cliche to a level I've never seen.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:01 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by campyfan39 View Post
I have three teenage sons and sadly only one is slightly interested in cards at the moment but all three almost exclusively listen to music from the 60’s-80’s and talk about history and the last with me constantly. Interestingly enough my 17 year old broached the subject of cards with me today because he heard about the sale of the 52 Mantle. He figured I had one. Hahaha. I said son if I had one we would be living a lot differently hahha.
I think it's also dependant on how the kids are raised, and what they're taught to value. I'm learning a lot from this thread (and filing it away for future notice)

Donscards.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:08 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
While I've always been all for disputing that "the new generation sucks worse than mine" fallacy, the virtual technology of the last 20 years is bound to cause differences though. Today's kids and teenagers won't be worse (or better) people than prior generations, but they aren't growing up with the same level of in-person contact as everyone else prior. That's bound to cause some major sociological changes going forward.
Exactly. I'm not saying it's a good thing or a bad thing, just that I think it is a thing. The virtually endless supply of media and current popular culture content almost by definition leaves little room or need to turn to pop culture material from the past. As a general rule, that is - Campyfan seems to be doing well in bucking that dynamic with his kids.

Last edited by ASF123; 01-18-2021 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:16 PM
Matt

Quote:
I think it's also dependant on how the kids are raised, and what they're taught to value.
Well said. Interestingly, my ten year old son and I just minutes ago got off a long call with a seventy-nine year old gentleman who pulled our 1952 Topps Mantle from its pack, way back in the Summer of '52, using money earned from his paper route. He bought the pack at a tobacco shop in Illinois.

My son and I were hanging on every word the original owner said, learning exactly where our Mantle card came from and how things were then, what his life was like, how into baseball he was, etc.

How many times do we collectors look at a card in our hands and wonder to ourselves about its journey through time to us? My son and I discussed how rare and special it is to trace a card's lineage like that. The discussion even ranged to the advent of TPG grading, and how the owner and his own son drove the card up to PSA some years ago for grading (I can also add both its owners find the arbitrary grading rules irksome LOL!).

Tangentially, a work colleague sent me a holiday gift this year; it is a coffee table book about the baseball HOF. My son and I cracked it open, and who was staring at us on the first page picture? The Mick. Of course we then went through all the other greats.

When I was a kid, my parents didn't teach me about Ruth or DiMaggio or Mantle or any of the others, and yet I still came to revere their cards— my cousins got me into collecting, and from there I just found the old greats. So one doesn't even necessarily need a parent to find their way to the classics. And one doesn't need to have seen them play either; that is what makes them legendary figures— that they existed in an often romanticized past world. They take on a more majestic character and mystique that way, actually.

I think music is an interesting analogy— someone can get into any modern artist, and if they are intellectually curious they will eventually delve into that artist's influences, roots, and samples, and journey onward from there.

Last edited by MattyC; 01-18-2021 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:38 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

So true, Matt: once you get going you find the history and then you find the greats. I never saw Babe Ruth play, I never saw Jim Brown crush a defense, and I never saw Joe Louis box, but I regard them as highly as Hank Aaron, Joe Montana, Manny Pacquiao, or anyone else whose career I was able to follow first-hand.

Or not...
Old 01-18-2021, 04:11 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

HOLY COW that is incredible. Please post (maybe separate thread) of how you got it and some of what the man said to you and your son.

Andrew, thank you! I realize I am very, very blessed as all three of my boys are growing into wonderful young men so far (fingers and toes crossed it continues).

As for the 1952 Mick, my late father had a chance to buy one that was centered and crease free back in 1988. We were at the beach in NC and travelled almost an hour to a card shop in Wilmington (that's how card crazy we were). It was the first time we had ever seen a Mantle rookie and it was like we had seen one of the seven wonders of the world or something.

The dealer had it priced at 1K but offered it to my Dad for $900. He would even take a check! My Mom urged Dad to buy it saying "You will never have a chance again." He just couldn't do it. We had never even spent $100 on a single card before......if only. Dad was a postal worker and Mom a nurse (blue collar all the way and now my wife is a teacher and I am a preacher haha) so to Dad that was way too much to spend for a card. Dad passed too early (54 years old) and Mom and I still talk about that card. The mantle rookie is just magic. Always will be. I remember buying the topps book in the picture I included. I can't believe Dad pulled the trigger for the book (thanks Mom) but we had never even seen most of those high number 52's. Happy collecting guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Well said. Interestingly, my ten year old son and I just minutes ago got off a long call with a seventy-nine year old gentleman who pulled our 1952 Topps Mantle from its pack, way back in the Summer of '52, using money earned from his paper route. He bought the pack at a tobacco shop in Illinois.

My son and I were hanging on every word the original owner said, learning exactly where our Mantle card came from and how things were then, what his life was like, how into baseball he was, etc.

How many times do we collectors look at a card in our hands and wonder to ourselves about its journey through time to us? My son and I discussed how rare and special it is to trace a card's lineage like that. The discussion even ranged to the advent of TPG grading, and how the owner and his own son drove the card up to PSA some years ago for grading (I can also add both its owners find the arbitrary grading rules irksome LOL!).

Tangentially, a work colleague sent me a holiday gift this year; it is a coffee table book about the baseball HOF. My son and I cracked it open, and who was staring at us on the first page picture? The Mick. Of course we then went through all the other greats.

When I was a kid, my parents didn't teach me about Ruth or DiMaggio or Mantle or any of the others, and yet I still came to revere their cards— my cousins got me into collecting, and from there I just found the old greats. So one doesn't even necessarily need a parent to find their way to the classics. And one doesn't need to have seen them play either; that is what makes them legendary figures— that they existed in an often romanticized past world. They take on a more majestic character and mystique that way, actually.

I think music is an interesting analogy— someone can get into any modern artist, and if they are intellectually curious they will eventually delve into that artist's influences, roots, and samples, and journey onward from there.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:18 PM

Great story Matt re: talking to the owner of your 52 Mantle gem and tracing its lineage! Hope you and “the Don” are well.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:22 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Interestingly, my ten year old son and I just minutes ago got off a long call with a seventy-nine year old gentleman who pulled our 1952 Topps Mantle from its pack, way back in the Summer of '52, using money earned from his paper route. He bought the pack at a tobacco shop in Illinois.

What a great story, Matt! Out of curiosity, how were you able to get in touch with the original owner?

Quote:
When I was a kid, my parents didn't teach me about Ruth or DiMaggio or Mantle or any of the others, and yet I still came to revere their cards— my cousins got me into collecting, and from there I just found the old greats. So one doesn't even necessarily need a parent to find their way to the classics.
Likewise. A friend came over one day in 1986 and randomly brought a box of baseball cards, which I had never known existed. I asked my mom to buy me a few packs, and I was hooked. I remember having a hardcover book with a color photo and a page or two of info on all of the Hall of Famers, and I probably started liking older cards through that. A couple of older cousins had some early/mid '70s cards and would give me some every now and then. I learned about the players and the cards at the same time - I would look at my Becketts and know the key cards from each year, and learn about players that way.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:29 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Quote:
Agree 100%

Why don’t people talk about Jordan the same way they do the other greats that collectors “haven’t seen play?”

People who were born after he retired the 2nd time can drive/buy cigarettes etc so it’s not “recent” history to many people. I mean you’d have to be 30+ to have a chance at remembering Jordan during his best years and his market keeps going up and up.

Stale take is the nicest way to put it.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:06 PM
Ru.ss Khederi@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
In my opinion the 1952 Topps set is not beautiful and the Mantle is the ugliest card ever made. Who uses a yellow painted bat? The only reason the card has value is because Topps printed so few high numbers. Put it in a low series and it is no different than the 1953 Topps Mantle or any of his other Topps cards.
You're right Rats.....wish I had never bought my 52 PSA 7 and PSA 6 Mantle cards all those years ago. My1979 OPC Gretzky PSA 9 is ugly too with that ridiculous dot on his sweater. My 1966 Bobby Orr PSA 7 is a joke with his image in a TV set and my 1957 Bill Russell PSA 7 has a just a horrible image of him. I should have collected coins
Old 01-18-2021, 05:19 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by russkcpa View Post
You're right Rats.....wish I had never bought my 52 PSA 7 and PSA 6 Mantle cards all those years ago. My1979 OPC Gretzky PSA 9 is ugly too with that ridiculous dot on his sweater. My 1966 Bobby Orr PSA 7 is a joke with his image in a TV set and my 1957 Bill Russell PSA 7 has a just a horrible image of him. I should have collected coins
It's not too late. If you want I can take those lousy cards off your hands in return for my penny collection. Guaranteed to be worth every cent.

Or not...
Old 01-18-2021, 11:19 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
Originally Posted by campyfan39 View Post
I have three teenage sons and sadly only one is slightly interested in cards at the moment but all three almost exclusively listen to music from the 60’s-80’s and talk about history and the past with me constantly. Interestingly enough my 17 year old broached the subject of cards with me today because he heard about the sale of the 52 Mantle. He figured I had one. Hahaha. I said son if I had one we would be living a lot differently haha.
This.

I think alot of people posting in this thread don't actually have teenagers/millenials in the family.

My daughter is 18. As opposed to being disconnected from the past, the internet has made it possible for her to know more words to Fleetwood Mac songs than I do, and at least as good a hold on 80's rock/pop as I do which happened in my late teens.
She's also watched a tonne of old tv shows along the way, Full House etc. and wears high waisted bellbottom jeans by choice.

My son will be 17 in March, similarly knows way more music than you'd ever guess from Grunge to 80's metal and funk, and even threw on a Wham song the other day and jammed to it in the car. I almost cried laughing through my efforts to belt it out alongside him.
He loves animae and says he's learned a tonne about what's important from these Japanese storytells, as well as all kinds of other interesting stuff.

Sure kids today may socialize differently, or seemingly not value what we value, but that's largely because we are seldom let in to their world. They see us as old, just as I saw my Mum and Dad as old.

Neither of my kids like cards, but they like money and like the idea of owning something of worth down the track. I don't care at all as long as they love us and are good hearts.

Think waaaaay to many generalizations get made about todays youth because they communicate so differently and often remotely.

Oh, and I love the rise and rise of sports cards.
I bought some when everyone in the early 2000's was saying it was nuts to do so, that the opportunity of the 80's had gone and everything was overpriced.
Am totally happy for a 67' muscle car to be worth a million dollars, and a 52 Topps Mantle similarly to have desirability and high end worth.
Don't want to spend big money? There are plenty of 52' Topps cards you can buy cheap and even collect most of your team that way.
Not everyone gets to have a 52' Mantle because they've somehow earned the right though their collecting chops, ALL highly desired cards have carried a significant premium which is why even back in the day people wouldn't shell out what would now be considered peanuts for them.
The opportunity is always NOW.
Later is good for regrets.

Last edited by 68Hawk; 01-18-2021 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:43 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Hawk View Post
This.

I think alot of people posting in this thread don't actually have teenagers/millenials in the family.

My daughter is 18. As opposed to being disconnected from the past, the internet has made it possible for her to know more words to Fleetwood Mac songs than I do, and at least as good a hold on 80's rock/pop as I do which happened in my late teens.
She's also watched a tonne of old tv shows along the way, Full House etc. and wears high waisted bellbottom jeans by choice.

My son will be 17 in March, similarly knows way more music than you'd ever guess from Grunge to 80's metal and funk, and even threw on a Wham song the other day and jammed to it in the car. I almost cried laughing through my efforts to belt it out alongside him.
He loves animae and says he's learned a tonne about what's important from these Japanese storytells, as well as all kinds of other interesting stuff.

Sure kids today may socialize differently, or seemingly not value what we value, but that's largely because we are seldom let in to their world. They see us as old, just as I saw my Mum and Dad as old.

Neither of my kids like cards, but they like money and like the idea of owning something of worth down the track. I don't care at all as long as they love us and are good hearts.

Think waaaaay to many generalizations get made about todays youth because they communicate so differently and often remotely.

I bought some when everyone in the early 2000's was saying it was nuts to do so, that the opportunity of the 80's had gone and everything was overpriced.
Am totally happy for a 67' muscle car to be worth a million dollars, and a 52 Topps Mantle similarly to have desirability and high end worth.
Don't want to spend big money? There are plenty of 52' Topps cards you can buy cheap and even collect most of your team that way.
Not everyone gets to have a 52' Mantle because they've somehow earned the right though their collecting chops, ALL highly desired cards have carried a significant premium which is why even back in the day people wouldn't shell out what would now be considered peanuts for them.
With all due respect, the same can be said the other way around.
Those commenting on how wonderful and great the youth of today is usually comes from only those with kids.
Once you have children, your judgement of course becomes extremely partial and biased, and understandably so.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:22 AM
James M.

Quote:
This.

Again I think this is very fair point, I think all of our perspectives are different though, when I was making my comments on how I feel about today's teenagers, it was solely based off the groups of Teenagers I work with. Again I think it's all about how you raise them, and what you teach them. I didn't intend for it to be a blanket, be all end all statement. Sure there are kids that appreciate the older aspects of Americana. I'm on the younger side and my tastes certainly veer that way as well, again I strongly think it's about how you were raised and what exactly you were taught to value, and what you were exposed to as a Child.

EDIT:

I saw this article in the Journal. Slightly Relevant to our recent discussions!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-we-...DUVlmxKwXvj7Ek

Donscards.

Last edited by Seven; 01-19-2021 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Update
Old 01-19-2021, 07:17 AM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
With all due respect, the same can be said the other way around.
Those commenting on how wonderful and great the youth of today is usually comes from only those with kids.
Once you have children, your judgement of course becomes extremely partial and biased, and understandably so.
Uhm, yes, it really does help to formulate comment on children if you actually have them and have experience more significant than seeing them wander around a shopping mall.

They are definitely not all wonderful and great, however in particular the observation that they are disconnected or unknowing of recent history and the past is not particularly accurate in my experience.
My kids are not unicorns in their knowledge and tastes in music, in fact I would make the crazy generalization that no generation has ever had more eclectic and more rounded taste and knowledge of music genres.
That is largely based on hearing their jams coming from their rooms, ear pods, and pounding car chasis over the last 5-10 years.

I would also offer the following. While many kids today don't verbalize or make great conversationalists, that doesn't mean they aren't observing and contextualizing and sharing those thoughts amongst eachother.

Don't mistake a lack of interest in talking with their folks or to other random adults with lack of awareness.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:27 AM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
Again I think this is very fair point, I think all of our perspectives are different though, when I was making my comments on how I feel about today's teenagers, it was solely based off the groups of Teenagers I work with. Again I think it's all about how you raise them, and what you teach them. I didn't intend for it to be a blanket, be all end all statement. Sure there are kids that appreciate the older aspects of Americana. I'm on the younger side and my tastes certainly veer that way as well, again I strongly think it's about how you were raised and what exactly you were taught to value, and what you were exposed to as a Child.

EDIT:

I saw this article in the Journal. Slightly Relevant to our recent discussions!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-we-...DUVlmxKwXvj7Ek
I absolutely hear you, and understand that 'teenagers' aren't a monolith....but if you're 'working' with them you are having an entirely different experience than being able to eavesdrop on their lives when they aren't in a controlled setting, or perhaps having the time, patience and relationship to prise interesting tidbits when they least expect it or are resistant to it.

I can't say I have more than a perfunctory relationship to ANY of my kids friends, they mostly see me as just a resident head of salt and pepper hair they walk past on the way to my kids rooms or basement.
But on semi regular occasion I've been given glimpses into their thinking by listening casually from afar or getting some thoughts from my kids about what they talk about - and there's a whole different world going on when they are with their peers.

I think that's always important to remember when making characterizations about a generation as each generations seems want to do about the previous.

Last edited by 68Hawk; 01-19-2021 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:28 AM
James M.

Quote:
Uhm, yes, it really does help to formulate comment on children if you actually have them and have experience more significant than seeing them wander around a shopping mall.

They are definitely not all wonderful and great, however in particular the observation that they are disconnected or unknowing of recent history and the past is not particularly accurate in my experience.
My kids are not unicorns in their knowledge and tastes in music, in fact I would make the crazy generalization that no generation has ever had more eclectic and more rounded taste and knowledge of music genres.
That is largely based on hearing their jams coming from their rooms, ear pods, and pounding car chasis over the last 5-10 years.

I would also offer the following. While many kids today don't verbalize or make great conversationalists, that doesn't mean they aren't observing and contextualizing and sharing those thoughts amongst eachother.

Don't mistake a lack of interest in talking with their folks or to other random adults with lack of awareness.
Very well said, They often have many interesting an unique perspectives to offer on really everything. I will say this generation seems to certainly be the most politically active/informed that I've come across. Always fighting for a cause of some kind.

And yes a lot of times, they don't verbalize their interests unless they suddenly discover that you also have said interests. They are extremely aware and impressionable of everything going on around them!

Donscards.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:32 AM

Why is everyone talking about being a kid like you weren't one too. I highly doubt any of you (or at least for your sake I hope this is not true for you) emulated or felt encouraged to mirror your parents. Where did your fire go that you are now talking about how kids don't appreciate XYZ? I'll tell you where it went, you got old and became your parents, the single worst thing that the teenage mind can fathom. And now you're falling further down the rabbit hole as you get older until you wake up one day and realize you're wearing the same pajamas your dad did when he woke up at night to ask you to turn down the stereo.

Some of us were cool once, I'm sure. How many adults did you find yourself wanting to engage in great conversations with? The great conversations were reserved for your buddies. What an odd view of youth.

Last edited by packs; 01-19-2021 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:43 AM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

And because every post should include a pic....
When I bought my wife her engagement diamond back in 2001, she said I should have my own special engagement 'thing' as well.
Within a couple days I found this guy, sitting in a GAI 2.5 holder. They were super fresh to TPG at the time and I thought there was an excellent chance the card was fine and had just found it's way in to their holders to maximize grade.
Well, it was my kind of 'great looking for the grade' card and every cent we could afford (sort of afford ) at 4K. She didn't blink, kissed me, said happy engagement and told me to hit the bid button with 10 seconds left on the ebay sale.
Probably the only card I could never sell, even though I have promised myself that all my cards should get passed along to the kids where they can maximize the profit by benefiting from inheritance treatment of such valuables.
May it be worth $200,000 one day and buy them something wonderful that they can enjoy as much as I enjoy this piece of colorized cardboard.

Last edited by 68Hawk; 01-19-2021 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:18 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:

Yeah, formulating an opinion is great, but hearing the same old song and dance about how everyone finds their own children to be something so utterly special and worth mentioning to others ad nauseam is tiresome.

They're your kids, so surprise surprise, OF COURSE they're special little angels that are misunderstood and able to do anything and everything.

I don't share that bias. I actually judge others on what they say and do, something most parents cannot objectively do about their own children.

Sorry for being honest, but we obviously won't agree.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:36 AM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
Yeah, formulating an opinion is great, but hearing the same old song and dance about how everyone finds their own children to be something so utterly special and worth mentioning to others ad nauseam is tiresome.

They're your kids, so surprise surprise, OF COURSE they're special little angels that are misunderstood and able to do anything and everything.

I don't share that bias. I actually judge others on what they say and do, something most parents cannot objectively do about their own children.

Sorry for being honest, but we obviously won't agree.
I wonder if your parents ever found you special and worth mentioning grouchy pants?

Ad nauseam??? Not sure we hear too much about eachothers children on this site, I was using mine not to gloat but to give reference to ones I know, see, hear, watch in concert with others, and have done so for hundreds of thousands of hours up close over 18 years.

I know, terrible lack of perspective from your point of view.
Strange how parents with such experience must be terrible 'experts' at such opinions whereas gaining similar experience in other endeavors rates as expertise.

LOL, says this 52 year old man.

Last edited by 68Hawk; 01-19-2021 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:37 AM

It's also kind of strange that the measure of a well rounded person is interest in music and television shows from the 80s.

I mean, come on. Have you forgotten the best years of your life already? I highly doubt there are many boomers on the board who were sitting down with grand pappy to listen to some Cole Porter 78s on the old Vitrola. Or went with memaw to check out some silent films while everyone else was seeing Marlo Brando and John Wayne movies.

Wake up, guys. You're old and uncool. It happens. But there's no reason to disparage people who are young and cool just because you aren't. That's where you can break the cycle.

Last edited by packs; 01-19-2021 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:10 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
I wonder if your parents ever found you special and worth mentioning grouchy pants?

Ad nauseam??? Not sure we hear too much about eachothers children on this site, I was using mine not to gloat but to give reference to ones I know, see, hear, watch in concert with others, and have done so for hundreds of thousands of hours up close over 18 years.

I know, terrible lack of perspective from your point of view.
Strange how parents with such experience must be terrible 'experts' at such opinions whereas gaining similar experience in other endeavors rates as expertise.

LOL, says this 52 year old man.
Uhhh, yeah, people who are in a cult also have all the first-hand expertise in the world, but NO ONE would ever expect a fair and honest judgement of said cult from them

Thinking your objective about your own children instead of admitting and accepting your utter bias... now THAT is LOL!
Old 01-19-2021, 11:42 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Thinking your objective about your own children instead of admitting and accepting your utter bias... now THAT is LOL!
Just a quick note: LOL does not mean Lots Of Love, it means Laugh Out Loud.

Old 01-19-2021, 01:27 PM
J0hn H@rper

In other news, there is now just one '52 T Mantle graded above a 1 listed on ebay for less than 200,000 now. A PSA 3 for 85 k.

A brand new level of disappearing supply for it
Old 01-19-2021, 02:48 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
Uhhh, yeah, people who are in a cult also have all the first-hand expertise in the world, but NO ONE would ever expect a fair and honest judgement of said cult from them

You're a super weird dude.

Last edited by 68Hawk; 01-19-2021 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Summed up best by just leaving the one sentence
Old 01-19-2021, 02:53 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
In other news, there is now just one '52 T Mantle graded above a 1 listed on ebay for less than 200,000 now. A PSA 3 for 85 k.

A brand new level of disappearing supply for it
That's wild.
Is your impression those listings are just fanciful ebay sellers hoping to strike it lucky with an impatient less than well informed buyer, or are Auction results heading that way?
Any idea what recent sales of graded 2-4 have been achieving at trusted auction sites?
Old 01-19-2021, 03:23 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
That's wild.
Is your impression those listings are just fanciful ebay sellers hoping to strike it lucky with an impatient less than well informed buyer, or are Auction results heading that way?
Any idea what recent sales of graded 2-4 have been achieving at trusted auction sites?
In the last week, a PSA 4 and a PSA 6 OC sold for around 50 k, a centered PSA 2 for 40 k, and the redheaded stepchild of the listings (an SGC 3.5 that was a good bit OC L/R) for 35 k.

Looks like its market is in that temporary pause mode now, where the new listings are taking stabs at just how much they can get (in a spot with little to no competing supply)

At this point, it's anyone's guess if people actually will pay 85 k for a PSA 3, or offer 45 k for the PSA 1. May not take too long to find out.

Now a second one popped up, at the top of possible asking prices again. A PSA 3.5 that's not even centered that great. 100 k OBO
Old 01-19-2021, 06:56 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
In the last week, a PSA 4 and a PSA 6 OC sold for around 50 k, a centered PSA 2 for 40 k, and the redheaded stepchild of the listings (an SGC 3.5 that was a good bit OC L/R) for 35 k.

Looks like its market is in that temporary pause mode now, where the new listings are taking stabs at just how much they can get (in a spot with little to no competing supply)

At this point, it's anyone's guess if people actually will pay 85 k for a PSA 3, or offer 45 k for the PSA 1. May not take too long to find out.

Now a second one popped up, at the top of possible asking prices again. A PSA 3.5 that's not even centered that great. 100 k OBO
Thanks, certainly interesting to see that rising tide.
Funnily enough, I think we're just at the beginning of a serious rise in prices of highly collectable vintage cardboard.

In the 50's/60's/70's hardcore collectors outside of kids buying/flipping/spoke splicing were largely seen as oddballs.
In the 80's there was a swell in the collector brigade as the hobby became full fledged, but it was still very niche and fixed to real collectors and their kids.
The 90's brought some broader speculation, but that again mainly came from within the collector base.
A die off in the early 2000's, then somewhere around 2-3 years ago the concept of enjoyment of collecting - as in owning and holding something that has rising value as well as its emotional sporting connection - crept out of the standard hobby masses into mainstream. With some media splash the broader population became aware that this pocket portraiture stuff was legit and somewhat interesting and not simply 'weird' for poorly socialized 50 something child-men to lovingly handle.
With the enormous growth in modern collector numbers over the last 24 months, mainstream sports fans have been chasing the 'goats' of various sports from within their living memory, and subsequently given over to a tsunami of money into the rarest or important cards of particular players.

IMO, the hard financial numbers of modern sportscards have largely eclipsed vintage in many cases and those modern collectors have started history checking back earlier and earlier to find the greats of each sport back to the 60's.
But they will sate that itch too and inevitably become intrigued in 'investing' and owning much earlier vintage card of the sort discussed on this site.

Because of the far more limited sportscard stock that's survived of early baseball greats, we may see a doubling or tripling of prices for vintage in the next 2-3 years as the relative value is considered highly desirable in comparison to 40k to 1.8m cards of 'modern' players.

If you want in, as hard as it may seem to digest now at current prices, you will be kicking yourself in 5 years if you again put off collecting what is very difficult to afford now - when it becomes unquestionably unaffordable for most tomorrow.

Last edited by 68Hawk; 01-19-2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 01:34 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
If you want in, as hard as it may seem to digest now at current prices, you will be kicking yourself in 5 years if you again put off collecting what is very difficult to afford now - when it becomes unquestionably unaffordable for most tomorrow.
It could happen. While it seems like this current run has been going on for such a long time, it's only been a year. The junk wax boom lasted about 5.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:19 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Quote:

I wonder how valid those recent sales numbers are. I’m always skeptical of eBay sales immediately after something is pumped up.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:43 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Thanks, certainly interesting to see that rising tide.
Funnily enough, I think we're just at the beginning of a serious rise in prices of highly collectable vintage cardboard.

In the 50's/60's/70's hardcore collectors outside of kids buying/flipping/spoke splicing were largely seen as oddballs.
In the 80's there was a swell in the collector brigade as the hobby became full fledged, but it was still very niche and fixed to real collectors and their kids.
The 90's brought some broader speculation, but that again mainly came from within the collector base.
A die off in the early 2000's, then somewhere around 2-3 years ago the concept of enjoyment of collecting - as in owning and holding something that has rising value as well as its emotional sporting connection - crept out of the standard hobby masses into mainstream. With some media splash the broader population became aware that this pocket portraiture stuff was legit and somewhat interesting and not simply 'weird' for poorly socialized 50 something child-men to lovingly handle.
With the enormous growth in modern collector numbers over the last 24 months, mainstream sports fans have been chasing the 'goats' of various sports from within their living memory, and subsequently given over to a tsunami of money into the rarest or important cards of particular players.

IMO, the hard financial numbers of modern sportscards have largely eclipsed vintage in many cases and those modern collectors have started history checking back earlier and earlier to find the greats of each sport back to the 60's.
But they will sate that itch too and inevitably become intrigued in 'investing' and owning much earlier vintage card of the sort discussed on this site.

Because of the far more limited sportscard stock that's survived of early baseball greats, we may see a doubling or tripling of prices for vintage in the next 2-3 years as the relative value is considered highly desirable in comparison to 40k to 1.8m cards of 'modern' players.

I have to vehemently disagree with you: we collectors are still "largely seen as oddballs".

We're weird, we're here, get used to it.

But seriously, I hope you are right. My retirement window (proposed) is about 15 years, so if my collection doubles or triples in value in the interim, I might be able to exit the rat race a few years early.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-20-2021 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:35 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I have to vehemently disagree with you: we collectors are still "largely seen as oddballs".

We're weird, we're here, get used to it.

My re-entry into card collecting (past that of my youth assembling scanlens footy heroes in the 70's) truly began when I walked into a hobby store in hometown Melbourne Australia and saw some Coca Cola series 1 cards under glass.

You can't imagine how odd I seemed to my buddies back home as I showed them off in 9 pocket sheaths while they stared at me slack jawed with a beer in their hands.

yup, I really showed them.

Last edited by 68Hawk; 01-20-2021 at 04:36 PM.