NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-18-2005, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Default How do I crack a card out of my BVG Beckett holder?

Posted By: DJ

Made a purchase on a Beckett BVG card and I want to crack it from the holder. It's not like cracking over a PSA and I'm struggling. Any suggestions? Thanks!

DJ

Old 08-18-2005, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

dremel rotary tool.

Old 08-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

I have done it by using a pliers to crack the seal in the label area, then working very slowly along the edges with a very thin blade screwdriver to separate the two pieces of the holder. Similar to a PSA holder, just takes longer and more careful work. If BVG is like BGS the card is somewhat protected in a heat sealed inner sleeve which helps.

Old 08-18-2005, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

For all holders I crack I take a wire cutter and crack an edge. I then take a sturdy flathead screwdriver and just pop the edges all of the way around it. Works like a charm.....good luck

Old 08-18-2005, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

and crack off pieces (not too close to the card. Start at the top where the label is, and when you have the label-part all off, ther two halves should come apart. If not, start carefully down the side, until they two parts do comer apart.

If it's just like a PSA, but with a really tight seal, just keep sawing between the two sides with a sharp knife--it just takes longer--until you're about 3/8th of an inch in (again, from the top, where the label is), and then try to turn the knife to 45 degrees, It should work. Start at the corners and work in (you may have to do both corners--or all four).

The tool mentioned above I don't have. I'm sure it works quite well.

Old 08-18-2005, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Thanks to the Board in assisting me. I got it out with your help without damage. I cracked the top with a hammer around the label and used a thin screwdriver to separate the plastic and safely (thankfully) removed the card without incident. Again, thanks!

DJ

Old 08-18-2005, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

for reference, there is an easier and faster way to crack a beckett case. It is a bit scary, but it works.

Take a flat head (standard) screwdriver, medium to large size, and position the blade so that it is vertical and pointing straight down at the case, center of the case left to right and right at the bottom edge of the label. (For those who can't picture it, imagine you are holding a stake over a vampires heart)

Then take a hammer and whack it. The case should split right in half (wear protective eyewear). The card sealed in the inner sleeve should be left exposed and unharmed.

Like I said, scary, but it works. Please don't experiment on cobbs and wagners.

By the way, can you share what card?

Old 08-18-2005, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

For a real challenge, try cracking out P-2 Sweet cap pins out of those little PSA holders. Arrrgghhhh!

Old 08-18-2005, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

At some point in the long, long past, I said here that the sleeves inside the PSA holders were NOT Mylar. Well, it's true, they are not Mylar in any protective sense, bump-wise. but they are very thin Mylar, called Mylite, which should keep the card safe from it's own plastic holder and anything that got inside of it, toning or yellowing wise...

I bought my Peck and Snyder already sealed in Mylar, as did Jay Miller who sold it to me...