NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-17-2019, 07:00 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Before I make my comments on this subject, here is where I'm coming from. Displayed here are my first two BB cards (I am not sure
which one of these was my very 1st). The 1947 picture from my Yankee Stadium Team Photo pack or the 1947 BOND BREAD BB card.
Why Johnny Lindell ? Well, as an 8-year old, I was really impressed with Johnny's performance in the 1947 World Series (Yankees vs
Dodgers). I listened to the entire 7-game Series on my Radio.
Lindell's 1947 World Series stats (6 games)....AB = 18, BAvg = .500, SLG = .778, Hits = 9, RBI = 7, BB = 5, K = 2.
Plus 4 diving catches in LF which ultimately saved each of the games those particular days.

OK, this is the 73rd year (excluding 4 years in the Air Force and first 7 years of marriage) since I started collecting anything related to
BB. And, I will continue collecting BB cards (and Sports related memorabilia) until it's time to pass my stuff onto my Grandson.

Upon reading the posts in this thread, all I can say is that I feel sorry for many of you who are allowing some "bad guys" in this hobby
destroy your passion for collecting Sportscards. I can understand that some of you have invested a lot into graded cards and you have
become very "pi$$ed". Eventually, this "storm" will have passed, and here's hoping you return to this great hobby.

I am probably the oldest "dude" on this forum; however, spending many hours going thru my BB card collection.....researching certain
aspects of these cards (or sets)…..wheeling-and-dealing with some of you guys....and first and foremost of all, establishing friendships
which last a lifetime...have kept me young at heart.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Well said Ted!
Old 07-18-2019, 10:29 AM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Well said Ted!
Ted hits it on the head.

Also, it's good to note that while the doctors and scam artists are out there, the modern age of the hobby includes tools to catch and identify them (not to mention the dedicated people out there willing to spend the time to do so).
Old 07-18-2019, 10:42 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
Ted hits it on the head.

Also, it's good to note that while the doctors and scam artists are out there, the modern age of the hobby includes tools to catch and identify them (not to mention the dedicated people out there willing to spend the time to do so).
seriously? you mean like PSA?
Old 07-18-2019, 12:01 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
seriously? you mean like PSA?
I was referring more to Worthpoint, etc. that helps with the before and after photos. The better tools are the online records of previous sales and accompanying photos, not to mention bidding history and other ways to ferret out shilling (if we expand to other scandals).
But yes, PSA and TPGs are also tools that can be used. I don't believe, nor ever have believed, that any TPG is infallible, but I also don't believe they are co-conspirators with the other parties involved in the doctoring scandals (jury remains out on Beckett with that former employee getting black labels). They offer an opinion that should be taken with a grain of salt, and I'm not going to cast out every slabbed card because a number of them got through the grading process after being altered.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:24 PM
Paul Lehr

After 30+ years of card collecting and owning thousands of PSA cards over the years, I can now hold all my graded cards in two hands.
Thankfully I became disenchanted with card collecting long before the latest fiasco.
I'm still an avid collector, but I've definitely moved on from cards, and truthfully, I don't miss it.