NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-21-2021, 09:09 AM
Ke.vin G.ray

Default T206 Distribution- Dumb Rookie Question

OK, So I'm acknowledging this is a dumb rookie question, and it may have been answered in detail elsewhere. If so, simply point me in a direction and I will go read. But here is my question:
How truly "national" was T206 distribution? Was it solely an east coast thing? Just east and west coasts? Could you get it them in cigarette packs in Chicago, for example? Cleveland? Cincinnati? St. Louis? I'm in Tulsa, and we only got statehood in 1907, and the "big" cities of Oklahoma City and Tulsa were pretty tiny when T206s were distributed. So I'm not betting that they showed up here. But what about other mid-sized cities that were not coastal? And what about the west coast? Were these appearing in Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc.?
Thanks!
kevin
Old 06-21-2021, 10:02 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Since they were embedded in cigarette packs, they were pretty much available everywhere cigarettes were sold. Now some brands may have only been available regionally based on taste or distribution, but I would figure every region got the Piedmonts or Sweet Caporals.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:21 AM

Before someone else chimes in with a more complete T206 history, I'll point out that it's more than just that set.

There was some some degree of regional nature to the brands, for example, Drum being mostly around the St. Louis area. Piedmont, Sweet Caporal, and Polar Bear were the most widespread, if I'm remembering correctly, although still east of the Rockies.

Old Mill was more in the South, and so that's why SL cards are found in that brand, as well as having their own separate set with only SL players, the T210s. The T211 Red Suns use the T210 photos from the last series and were distributed mostly in Louisiana. There are other Louisiana brands that are pretty rare (and I'd love it if somebody could connect them to ATC for me since I'm struggling to find the connections myself.)

With the T212 Obaks covering the PCL and NWL, the American Tobacco company got fairly close to national coverage.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:32 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Don't forget in those days the West Coast stopped in St. Louis.
Old 06-22-2021, 09:53 AM
Ke.vin G.ray

Thanks for the replies! That helps a little. Sounds like it was certainly possible for cigarette purchasers to find cards wherever those brands were sold, but for the most part it was east of the Mississippi.
kevin
Old 06-22-2021, 10:03 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Don't forget in those days the West Coast stopped in St. Louis.
We had our own thing with N321's, Monos, and Obaks.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-22-2021, 11:50 PM
Bob
Bob Comm.entucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsaboy View Post
OK, So I'm acknowledging this is a dumb rookie question, and it may have been answered in detail elsewhere. If so, simply point me in a direction and I will go read. But here is my question:
How truly "national" was T206 distribution? Was it solely an east coast thing? Just east and west coasts? Could you get it them in cigarette packs in Chicago, for example? Cleveland? Cincinnati? St. Louis? I'm in Tulsa, and we only got statehood in 1907, and the "big" cities of Oklahoma City and Tulsa were pretty tiny when T206s were distributed. So I'm not betting that they showed up here. But what about other mid-sized cities that were not coastal? And what about the west coast? Were these appearing in Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc.?
Thanks!
kevin
It's actually a very good question Kevin. I hope you're collecting T206 & have fun putting the set together. This is a great forum to be part of with many knowledgeable people to answer any of your questions. Welcome aboard!
Old 06-23-2021, 09:21 AM
Trey
Tr.ey Bu0y

If trade was occurring where people smoked cigarettes, T206 cards were probably found. Around 1910 the use of trains would have still been the primary means of delivery. Much like people, goods would have been concentrated around railroad lines. With a quick search there are mentions of Sweet Caporal cigarettes in Oklahoma City in 1909. Many other examples can probably be found. Below is a 1910 advertisement from El Paso, which is the furthest west you can go in Texas. Also below, is a neat image related to trains and the trading of goods from an Oklahoma newspaper in 1909.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ok.jpg (69.6 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by oldeboo; 06-23-2021 at 09:42 AM.