NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Default home town collection

Posted By: val lewis

I have been collecting slim sallee cards because he is the only pro baseball player to come from my home town in ohio.It is a very small river town so the fact that any one played professional is amazing.I was wondering if any one else collected any one for a similar odd reasons.

Old 07-07-2005, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

to whom they threw the World Series of 1919. Among Cincinatti's pitchers was--Slim Salee! (I used to have a T3 of him, but I traded it--and I'm sorry).

Old 07-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Val

I am interested in Wally Schang, for reasons which were posted in 2004 (with which I don't again wish to bore the board, but here's the link http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=153652&messageid=1087942149 ).

I also have stumbled into collecting Slim Sallee cards, perhaps because I know a relative in Seattle, who, I believe, with a cousin in Ohio, is writing a biography of Slim. If you're interested in information, please drop me an email

Max

Old 07-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

The first player I ever collected was Will Clark. He and several other major leaguers went to my high school in New Orleans. This was still a few years before I started there, but it was also my father's alma mater. I suppose now that I'm just collecting vintage cards I'll try collecting the New Orleans Pelicans at some point (when I have more disposable income).

My grandfather, who used to bring me to card shows a couple of times a year, has an old Pelicans uniform (family heirloom), and I gave him the '33 Goudey Eddie Moore card as a gift recently, but I don't have any Pelicans stuff of my own just yet.

Old 07-07-2005, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Daniel Bretta

I don't collect players from my hometown, but I do collect anything related to the Lincoln Athletics/Chiefs team that existed in the Western/Three I leagues from 1947-1961. It is unbelievably hard to come by anything related to those teams. You would think there would be a lot of memorabilia surrounding Dick Stuart's 66 homerun season in 1956, but if it exists I can't find it, and I look and ask everyone. I even ran an ad in the newspaper for a while and never got one call.

On a side note, my former neighbor was Bob Cerv. Mostly famous for being Maris and Mantle's roommate in 1961, but he had a few really good years in the majors. I never got to meet him, but I have talked to his grandkids. I asked them what Bob thought about the movie 61* and they said he thought it was okay, but he didn't like that they portrayed him as sorta' dumb. He was a college graduate and actually did some teaching. The movie also shows Cerv on the Yankee's team on opening day when in fact he was with the Angels at the start of the 61 season.

Old 07-07-2005, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach

I try to collect Earl Moore who is from my home town of Pickerington Ohio. I've been looking at which ones I like best and waiting for them to pop...but i'm also on a limited budget and collect hofers so hofers come first.

Old 07-07-2005, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I bought some cards of Carlo Columbino who played about 4 years at AAA with the Astros without ever getting called to the majors(circa 1987-90).He lived within a mile of me in the same town.His card was worth as much as anyone else back then since they only came in complete sets and i live pretty far from Tuscon.I was the only kid to have his card for awhile.Other kids collected Al Leiter and Jeff Musselmann when they came up because they were from a couple towns over.

I have been looking for Point Pleasant t210 cards since thats the town name i grew up in altho its a west virginia team in the set and im from NJ.People around here dont know that tho

Old 07-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Moraine

I collect Feller cards/memorabilia. He is from Van Meter, Iowa. Which is located 18 miles west of my home city, and state capital of Iowa, Des Moines.

Best Regards,

Adam J. Moraine

Old 07-07-2005, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David McDonald

Glenn,
In case you hadn't heard of them, Ebbets Field Flannels sells cool repro caps, jackets and such for a variety of minor league teams (also have Cuban and Negro league things, too). I believe they have some NO Pelicans items. Worth checking out.

http://www.ebbets.com/

Old 07-07-2005, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mike plemmons

I guess I get off kinda easy on this particular topic. I've always been in love with Ty Cobb cards, as he played minor league ball here in my hometown of Augusta, Georgia before he went on to Detroit. Plus his actual birthplace of Narrows, Georgia (Royston) is only a short drive from here as well.

Old 07-07-2005, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Nathan

For vintage, I collect Dummy Hoy and Dummy Taylor. The reason for this is because they both were deaf ball players. I enjoy collecting deaf related items and I have put together a website at http://www.zonefish.com/deaf.php for those who might be curious what this would include.

Nathan

Old 07-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

Mike Marshall (the Dodger outfielder, not the pitcher) and ex Met shortstop Tim Bogar both went to my high school (Buffalo Grove High School in Illinois). There was a little display with their uniforms and a few pictures, but Marshall was such a notorious jerk that I don't think anyone there was particularly proud of him. The coaches told me that he used to throw helmets and bats on the rare occasion that he would strike out and was otherwise generally unpleasant and full of himself.

Old 07-07-2005, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

Thanks, David.

It's not really vintage, and I'm not sure it's of interest to anyone else here, but there's actually a set of cards of the players from my high school who went on to the majors. And it just so happens there's one currently on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=639&item=5215310748&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Putsy Caballero, by the way, is a family friend and a great guy.

Old 07-08-2005, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I became fascinated with a guy whose BA (.349) was so high but who seemed to be forgotten despite not playing in the 19th century. Autographed cards of Jewish ballplayers are another favorite. I also collect cards relating to baseball in prewar Los Angeles.

Old 07-08-2005, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

Is the only major leaguer from my home town. So I would always buy his cards cheaply in the early days of the hobby and eventually had Ernie Montella create a beautiful over-sized plaque featuring his cards for me.

BTW -- Ernie is now one of the driving forces of the Philadelphia A's Society. And to publicize Ernie -- if you have never seen his work, he does a great job. What he did for me with the Cunningham is he found an 8 by 10 signed photo and some other stuff and made an awesome plaque. If you ever want a great job done on mounting some of your cards, I'd heartily recommend Ernie.

And yes, that Cunningham plaque is beautiful.

Rich

Old 07-08-2005, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Wong

Graduates of Junipero Serra High School in San Mateo, CA:

Barry Bonds, Tom Brady, Richard Wong, Lynn Swann, Jim Fregosi, Gregg Jeffries

Yes, I know what you are thinking - Gregg Jeffries really doesn't belong.

Old 07-08-2005, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Rousseau

My family was friends with the family of Walt Dropo, so I used him as a good excuse to get decent examples of the 50s Bowman and 50s/60s Topps cards and his Red Man tobacco card.

Old 07-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Home state sports page follower. I live on the other side of the country from where I was born, but I always have an interest in athletes from my home state. I'm not much of a golf fan, but I will check the sports page stats page to see how the 'locals' are doing (men and women). In fact, I have much less interest in the athletes native to where I live now.