NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Default OT: Payment options

I have a large amount of prewar HOFer I am looking to sell all of it on Net54but do not have a Paypal nor do I intend on getting one. For small purchases a personal check or Money order usually suffices but would they be just as good in a larger transaction? What, if any, options would be good for something like this?

Please any input before I list all of this stuff would be appreciated.

Drew
Old 06-30-2013, 12:41 PM
Tony Quinn

Default Opinion

IMO you are committing business suicide by not accepting Paypal. I know there are some fees involved but it's not bad if you work them into your prices. Some buyers will refuse to deal with you if you don't accept it. I buy and sell and Paypal is a necessity. It offers both buyer (especially) and seller protection.
Plus, a lot of buyers want their items fast and payment by snail mail will not afford them that luxury.
Just my .02, take it or leave it.
Good Luck!
Old 06-30-2013, 01:48 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I find it absurd that you dont/wont accept paypal. You will lose money and customers.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:25 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

I don't want to go into detail but I used to have a paypal. I am not a dealer by any means but am looking to move a good part of my collection. I do have a paypal account I could use connected with my wife but the reason I won't use it in this case is I want to surprise her with a "2nd honeymoon" trip next year . Obviously it wouldn't be much of a surprise if she saw a stream of funds going into the account.
I am looking for a different option in this case to sell my HOF pre war collection. That's it. It isn't the fees or anything connected to paypal specifically. Just trying to do something nice for my loving wife without her knowing.
I hope this clear up the issue a bit.
Drew
Old 06-30-2013, 02:32 PM

People transacted thru the mail for years without paypal, you will be fine, just post your cards and state your payment terms.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:45 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I understand why you don't want to use paypal, but you will leave money on the table if you don't. Dave
Old 06-30-2013, 03:05 PM
Banned

Drew,

I have done just fine without using PayPal. I do use it now because of convenience but never felt like I left money on the table when I didn't offer it as an option.

As Scott said, for many years countless transactions were done via the mail with checks or money orders.

Bottom line: If you're selling good stuff at fair prices, you'll do fine.

(All of the above is in regard to selling on Net54. eBay is a place where I would say PayPal is a must.)

Best of luck.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:40 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Thanks for the input so far. Someone mentioned using a trusted friends paypal account. I have a friend who offered this but am wondering if it would look shady to buyers? I would be upfront of course as to why but don't want to risk ruining a reputation on the boards.
Any other input (or interest)?
Keep the comments coming.
Drew
Old 06-30-2013, 04:51 PM
MikeHealer

If someone wants what you're selling, you'll do fine without PayPal.

Absurd and suicide seem a little strong. Auction houses do ok with no PayPal and they tack on about 20%.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:19 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
I don't want to go into detail but I used to have a paypal. I am not a dealer by any means but am looking to move a good part of my collection. I do have a paypal account I could use connected with my wife but the reason I won't use it in this case is I want to surprise her with a "2nd honeymoon" trip next year . Obviously it wouldn't be much of a surprise if she saw a stream of funds going into the account.
I am looking for a different option in this case to sell my HOF pre war collection. That's it. It isn't the fees or anything connected to paypal specifically. Just trying to do something nice for my loving wife without her knowing.
I hope this clear up the issue a bit.
Drew
Don't you think she might be suspicious if everyone paid by check as there is still a paper trail. Are you going to open up a separate account to hide it from her? I know my wife would notice.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:43 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

There wouldn't be as much of a paper trail. All my transactions go to and from my work address. I would use a separate account for deposits she would not be privy to.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: OT: Payment options

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
People transacted thru the mail for years without paypal, you will be fine, just post your cards and state your payment terms.
+1 I don't accept PayPal either. A couple colleagues had bad experiences with them. I may have missed a sale or two, but at least I haven't been burned by unscrupulous buyers manipulating the system.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Jay Shelton

I think check or money order, especially on the Net54 B/S/T is perfectly fine. The ONLY reason I have a Paypal account is that eBay forced me to set up one since I sell (very infrequently in the last 3 years or so) a few items on eBay from time-to-time.

I have had several transactions here on the board (all great); some have requested paypal, and others have requested check, money order, etc., and I have no problem fulfilling the payment requirements if it is a card I want at a good deal.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
That's right and the mail was delivered by the Pony Express for years. We improved on that. Want to go back to the "good" old days? Didn't think so.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:07 AM

Actually I am perfectly fine with the old way, I have done several deals in the last 60 days by mail and check, even one "on approval".

But then I don't "text" either, maybe I am just old or old fashioned.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiedoggy View Post
That's right and the mail was delivered by the Pony Express for years. We improved on that. Want to go back to the "good" old days? Didn't think so.
If we're going to use analogies that don't apply, I'll toss this one out: I like the convenience of using a microwave oven to heat a lukewarm cup of coffee in less than a minute. That being said, if all I have available is a stove or hot plate, I'll use them rather than drink cold coffee.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:33 AM
qu@n nguy3n

if you're rob d, or ed hans, or scott b., you'll do fine with paper payment. if you're someone new to the board i would be more hesitant to send a big check (meaning i won't).
Old 07-01-2013, 11:47 AM

Q,

That may be true, he can always start out with lesser value items and establish himself. Or for all we know he may already have some hobby references.