NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 11-04-2021, 04:52 AM
H Murphy

Going pretty far back, what was the title of the tune that went, "hello Madda hello Fadda here I am at Camp Granada"
Old 11-04-2021, 05:48 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Luckily the commercial for hair coloring was only on for maybe two weeks. Unfortunately it was every third commercial. I find the woman who sings it very attractive so I didn't change the channel.
Well, then I don't blame you.
These days, mostly, I listen to Hair Nation, Classic Rewind and Classic vinyl, but I do switch around occasionally to other stations when I can't find anything good on those ones. What I've found with Sirius, and it happens quite often is, when they play good songs, all the stations above are playing them at the same time, and the same goes when they aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUM301 View Post
Going pretty far back, what was the title of the tune that went, "hello Madda hello Fadda here I am at Camp Granada"
"Camp Granada"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzErh_s62Wk
Old 11-04-2021, 07:05 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

How about the 3 most morose, depressing pop songs of all time?

Alone Again Naturally (Gilbert O'Sullivan)

Vincent (Don McLean)

and probably the most depressing of all

All By Myself (Eric Carmen)

Last edited by Snapolit1; 11-04-2021 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:32 AM

How about a nice little song about cannibalism? Timothy by the Buoys:

https://youtu.be/AXn0uIF60iU
Old 11-04-2021, 09:51 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUM301 View Post
That is the title. Hello Muddah Hello Faddah by Allan Sherman

I have that and many others in my iPad now. The Best of Allan Sherman.

Boooooyeah!

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.

Last edited by butchie_t; 11-04-2021 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:23 AM
Peter Spaeth

Billy Don't Be a Hero.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:17 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
No redeeming qualities at all: Jessie's Girl by Rick Springfield.

Lady in Red -- Chris de Burgh.

The use of "Jessie's Girl" in "Boogie Nights", is one of the great movie scenes of all time.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

Vincent (Don McLean)

Alone Again is on a great soundtrack (Life on Mars) but damn if that isnt the biggest downer of a song.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:21 PM

Even though my wife would probably call out about 20% of the songs I like, even I admit to:

Blinded by the Light - Manfred Mann’s Earth Band version, and
Burning Bridges- Mike Curb Congregation (and the theme from Kelly’s Heroes).
Old 11-04-2021, 12:27 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonhamlin View Post
Even though my wife would probably call out about 20% of the songs I like, even I admit to:

Blinded by the Light - Manfred Mann’s Earth Band version, and
That is the best version. Springsteens version, I cannot even listen to, he sounds drunk.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:28 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Billy Don't Be a Hero.
That one is now spinning around in my head... thanks.

Old 11-04-2021, 12:44 PM
Todd Schultz

Indiana Wants Me. Although I liked it as an 11 year-old.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 11-04-2021 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:54 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtiques View Post
How about a nice little song about cannibalism? Timothy by the Buoys:

https://youtu.be/AXn0uIF60iU
Odd you mention that song-- I just listened to it last night for the first time in years. Between that and DOA by Bloodrock about a year or so later, it's no wonder so many of my generation was/is twisted (or so I have been told by those older and wiser who came before me).
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 11-04-2021, 02:00 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
A song I like but it's also kind of "Bubblegum" music. From the summer of '74, "Life is a rock (but the radio rolled me)" by Reunion.

https://youtu.be/16kh-AP4OCU

Another nomination for a bad song, "They're coming to take me away ha-haaa" by Napoleon XIV.

https://youtu.be/3Fn36l_z3WY
I like that last one.

But... if we're going to add novelty songs this list will get way longer in a hurry.
Old 11-04-2021, 02:05 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
That is the best version. Springsteens version, I cannot even listen to, he sounds drunk.

<trigger warning for Springsteen fans>

He always does.

I'd have added a couple of his, but I think it was bad songs that we like...

Plus, he's supposedly partly responsible for Bon Jovi ....

And my friends made me go to the movie no nukes because "the boss" was in it.
Old 11-04-2021, 03:17 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

Vincent (Don McLean)

I can't hear All By Myself without thinking of Bob and Tom back in the day, whenever they'd even be close to a topic of self-servicing, they'd play that line. Immature, but so am I!
Old 11-04-2021, 03:18 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Anyone else man enough (or nerd enough) to admit they like Orinoco Flow by Enya?
Old 11-04-2021, 05:05 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
That is the title. Hello Muddah Hello Faddah by Allan Sherman

I have that and many others in my iPad now. The Best of Allan Sherman.

Boooooyeah!
Maybe a little known fun fact. The group Lynyrd Skynyrd got the basis for their name from that Allie Sherman song.
Old 11-04-2021, 05:33 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Maybe a little known fun fact. The group Lynyrd Skynyrd got the basis for their name from that Allie Sherman song.
That's not the story I heard. This is what the band said:

The basketball coach at their high school, Forby Leonard Skinner, had more of an impact than he could have imagined. Skinner was a gym coach who at some point in the 1960s disciplined two members for letting their hair grow long. The young musicians eventually dropped out of school, but remembered all the hassles. In 1970, the band, which at the time called themselves “One Percent,” had a gig at a local club where they called out to the crowd, "Hey, we're Leonard Skinner and we're gonna play for y'all tonight". Since most of the crowd had run into Coach Skinner at one point or another the name was an instant hit and stuck. To make themselves more original, the spelling was later changed to “Lynyrd Skynyrd.”
Old 11-04-2021, 07:11 PM
Murr the Blurr

I submit two hideous releases from 1976: Charlene's "I've Never Been to Me" and the equally putrid "Torn Between Two Lovers" by Mary MacGregor (written by Peter Yarrow of Peter, Paul and Mary fame).
Old 11-04-2021, 08:21 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post

The basketball coach at their high school, Forby Leonard Skinner, had more of an impact than he could have imagined. Skinner was a gym coach who at some point in the 1960s disciplined two members for letting their hair grow long. The young musicians eventually dropped out of school, but remembered all the hassles. In 1970, the band, which at the time called themselves “One Percent,” had a gig at a local club where they called out to the crowd, "Hey, we're Leonard Skinner and we're gonna play for y'all tonight". Since most of the crowd had run into Coach Skinner at one point or another the name was an instant hit and stuck. To make themselves more original, the spelling was later changed to “Lynyrd Skynyrd.”
I heard and watched the same vid, Dave.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quWzKAoT50E
Old 11-04-2021, 10:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I know people love Free Bird, but I always though it was awful and a rip off sort of of Stairway.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:14 PM
Bob C.

Quote:

I've seen that video also, but there's currently a documentary about the band on Netflix, and they do mention the high school teacher, Leonard Skinner. But in the documentary it also shows Bob Burns, the band's drummer, going into further detail about how the reference and name supposedly came from him and originally started from the Allie Sherman song 'Hello Muddah, Hello Fadddah'. They actually play a little soundbite from the song in the documentary and, lo and behold, the lyrics actually mention the name Leonard Skinner as one of the other campers at Camp Granada, who gets ptomaine poisoning. It was apparently a sheer coincidence that they also ended up with a high school teacher named Leonard Skinner, but Burns seems to clearly indicate the initial, earlier influence came from the song. You can check out the song's lyrics, and the documentary, to see I'm not making this up.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:20 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I heard and watched the same vid, Dave.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quWzKAoT50E
Yes, but see what I said in post #73, and check out the documentary on Netflix if you can. I would tend to believe the documentary is factual since it includes interviews and stories from actual band members.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I've seen that video also, but there's currently a documentary about the band on Netflix, and they do mention the high school teacher, Leonard Skinner. But in the documentary it also shows Bob Burns, the band's drummer, going into further detail about how the reference and name supposedly came from him and originally started from the Allie Sherman song 'Hello Muddah, Hello Fadddah'. They actually play a little soundbite from the song in the documentary and, lo and behold, the lyrics actually mention the name Leonard Skinner as one of the other campers at Camp Granada, who gets ptomaine poisoning. It was apparently a sheer coincidence that they also ended up with a high school teacher named Leonard Skinner, but Burns seems to clearly indicate the initial, earlier influence came from the song. You can check out the song's lyrics, and the documentary, to see I'm not making this up.
Insane coincidence, that's amazing. I recall my favorite lyric from that song

You remember Jeffrey Hardy
They're about to organize a searching party
LOL

Old 11-04-2021, 10:34 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
I know people love Free Bird, but I always though it was awful and a rip off sort of of Stairway.
Have always heard the allegations, but actually like 'Freebird'.

Now if you want to talk ripoff, lets look at Bowie's 'Under Pressure' and Vanilla Ice's 'Ice, Ice, Baby'. I read somewhere that they got away with that by adding an extra note or beat to the baseline, or something like that.

And if you want to talk about bad songs you can't get out of your head, anyone remember the Banana Splits theme song!?!?!?
Old 11-04-2021, 10:43 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Insane coincidence, that's amazing. I recall my favorite lyric from that song

You remember Jeffrey Hardy
They're about to organize a searching party
LOL
You're right, it is an absolutely insane coincidence. And if you have access to Netflix, I highly recommend checking the documentary out where Burns talks about where the name came from, it's hilarious.

(Good lord, are we old, or what?)

Last edited by BobC; 11-04-2021 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:46 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Have always heard the allegations, but actually like 'Freebird'.

Now if you want to talk ripoff, lets look at Bowie's 'Under Pressure' and Vanilla Ice's 'Ice, Ice, Baby'. I read somewhere that they got away with that by adding an extra note or beat to the baseline, or something like that.

And if you want to talk about bad songs you can't get out of your head, anyone remember the Banana Splits theme song!?!?!?
Hahaha, you bet I remember the banana split theme song, I watched it religiously in my impetus youth…

Old 11-05-2021, 07:57 AM
H Murphy

"Yes I Like Pina Coladas, Getting caught in the Rain".......

Last edited by TUM301; 11-05-2021 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:49 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Yes, but see what I said in post #73, and check out the documentary on Netflix if you can. I would tend to believe the documentary is factual since it includes interviews and stories from actual band members.
Interesting. I have never heard that before until now. I hope to check out the Documentary sometime.
Thanks

Speaking of songs you can't get out of your head, how about songs with the same title.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrffDM3hHk8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c18441Eh_WE

Got to admit, this thread brought back memories and made me look into some of these songs yesterday that I had never heard of before.

Last edited by irv; 11-05-2021 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-05-2021, 10:03 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Lynyrd Skynyrd is likely my favorite band, or next to Led Zeppelin, and although I love Free Bird, I rarely have the patience anymore to listen to it in its entirety.

My wife and I seen them a few years ago. (Obviously, not the original band) They put on a really good concert, and of course played Free Bird to cap the night off. Listening to it live and knowing it was the last song of the night, (their encore) however, made me wished the song never ended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20180811_21_49_43_Pro.jpg (71.0 KB, 222 views)

Last edited by irv; 11-05-2021 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-05-2021, 11:49 AM
David M.

1975 interview with Lynyrd Skynyrd (the original band members). One minute into the interview they are asked about the band's name. Check it out on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep15rFi6rMQ

I tend to believe this story since it was repeated so many times over the years.
Old 11-05-2021, 02:37 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

So the OP called it "awful songs you can't get enough of". But really they are mostly great songs that you don't want to admit you like. A lot of these I have on my iPhone But in keeping with what everyone is posting I will submit Anne Murray's Snowbird. I also am a closet ABBA fan.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 11-05-2021, 06:07 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:

Another nomination for a bad song, "They're coming to take me away ha-haaa" by Napoleon XIV.

https://youtu.be/3Fn36l_z3WY
I had the 45 as a kid, I remember the flip side was the same song but played backwards.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:58 PM

I guess off-topic because the following are excellent songs IMO. I would distinguish rock and roll from ballads. Free Bird in my mind is a classic rock song but I'm partial to Southern rock. The other song I would cite among rock classics is Can't You See by the Marshall Tucker Band. I saw the original band in Maryland in the 70s -- excellent.

My favorite ballad would be Adele's Someone Like You. For me, it replaced Will You Love Me Tomorrow by the Shirelles which I bought as a 45 in 1960 when a ten-year old.

All above available on YouTube.
Old 11-05-2021, 07:54 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
1975 interview with Lynyrd Skynyrd (the original band members). One minute into the interview they are asked about the band's name. Check it out on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep15rFi6rMQ

I tend to believe this story since it was repeated so many times over the years.
Well, check out the Netflix documentary also if you can. It mentions both the name from the Allie Sherman song, and the high school teacher, being sources for the name.
Old 11-06-2021, 06:10 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark evans View Post
I guess off-topic because the following are excellent songs IMO. I would distinguish rock and roll from ballads. Free Bird in my mind is a classic rock song but I'm partial to Southern rock. The other song I would cite among rock classics is Can't You See by the Marshall Tucker Band. I saw the original band in Maryland in the 70s -- excellent.

My favorite ballad would be Adele's Someone Like You. For me, it replaced Will You Love Me Tomorrow by the Shirelles which I bought as a 45 in 1960 when a ten-year old.

All above available on YouTube.
I love Southern Rock as well. Years ago some friends of mine got to see Lynryd Skynryd, 38 Special, Molly Hatchet, The Outlaws and I believe another band or 2 at a concert in Gainesville Florida. When they told me this, I thought what a concert to be at! When my wife and I went to see Lynryd Skynryd, 38 Special opened up but our train was delayed so we missed every bit of them but the last song . Thankfully, however, we got see an excellent show put on by ZZ Top but since I had never seen 38 Special before live, I was disappointed. Would have loved to see the Marshall Tucker Band!

Quote:
Well, check out the Netflix documentary also if you can. It mentions both the name from the Allie Sherman song, and the high school teacher, being sources for the name.
Bob, if you don't mind, what is the name of the documentary? I have seen a couple but I do know Artimus was coming out with one a year or more ago that I never seen so I am curious if the one you speak of is his?
Old 11-06-2021, 01:02 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Bob, if you don't mind, what is the name of the documentary? I have seen a couple but I do know Artimus was coming out with one a year or more ago that I never seen so I am curious if the one you speak of is his?
It is titled 'If I Leave Here Tomorrow - A Film About Lynyrd Skynyrd'. Shows it having a 2018 release date, so I don't believe it is the same one you are looking for, though it does include clips and interviews with Artimus Pyle. It is fairly comprehensive, starting all the way back when they were just kids growing up in Jacksonville, playing sandlot baseball and hanging out. It goes through the history of the band, and all the personnel issues and changes, from their high school days and playing as The One Percent, through the fatal crash in 1977. There's also a slight follow-up on the group's continuance after the crash, but the gist is all the details of the group through the crash. A lot of greats clips and voice recordings of most all the groups members, including a lot of Ronnie Van Zant, and wonderful archival footage from interviws and performances. There's also a lot of scenes throughout the film with then present day clips of Gary Rossington talking about the band's history and the numerous members, along with him making present day visits to old sites and locations in the group's history, including a visit to Ronnie's grave. One thing that surprised me was how so few members of the band that survived the crash, or weren't even involved in it, are still with us today.

From reading this thread, it got me reinterested, and I ended up watching the entire film again last night. Well done film/documentary and worth the time to watch, even if you're not an over-the-top Skynyrd fan. And of course, as you would expect, they end the film with the band live on stage doing their long, extended climax ending to 'Freebird'.

Last edited by BobC; 11-06-2021 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-06-2021, 01:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

The lyrics always sounded to me like one big long clichι lol.

Old 11-06-2021, 03:47 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
The lyrics always sounded to me like one big long clichι lol.
They say in the film/documentary I referenced that they wrote their songs for simple, blue collar people. Peter, you're too intellectual and sophisticated to get it.
Old 11-06-2021, 04:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
They say in the film/documentary I referenced that they wrote their songs for simple, blue collar people. Peter, you're too intellectual and sophisticated to get it.
Simple Man, perhaps ironically, had much better lyrics.

Old 11-06-2021, 05:43 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Simple Man, perhaps ironically, had much better lyrics.
LOL

Well played sir, well played!
Old 11-07-2021, 06:15 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
It is titled 'If I Leave Here Tomorrow - A Film About Lynyrd Skynyrd'. Shows it having a 2018 release date, so I don't believe it is the same one you are looking for, though it does include clips and interviews with Artimus Pyle. It is fairly comprehensive, starting all the way back when they were just kids growing up in Jacksonville, playing sandlot baseball and hanging out. It goes through the history of the band, and all the personnel issues and changes, from their high school days and playing as The One Percent, through the fatal crash in 1977. There's also a slight follow-up on the group's continuance after the crash, but the gist is all the details of the group through the crash. A lot of greats clips and voice recordings of most all the groups members, including a lot of Ronnie Van Zant, and wonderful archival footage from interviws and performances. There's also a lot of scenes throughout the film with then present day clips of Gary Rossington talking about the band's history and the numerous members, along with him making present day visits to old sites and locations in the group's history, including a visit to Ronnie's grave. One thing that surprised me was how so few members of the band that survived the crash, or weren't even involved in it, are still with us today.

From reading this thread, it got me reinterested, and I ended up watching the entire film again last night. Well done film/documentary and worth the time to watch, even if you're not an over-the-top Skynyrd fan. And of course, as you would expect, they end the film with the band live on stage doing their long, extended climax ending to 'Freebird'.
I seen that one a couple years ago but I honestly forget the reference to that song that may have helped them choose their name.

I also don't know if Artimus Pyle's doc was ever released? IIRC, Ronnie's wife, who is in charge of, (or was) of Lynrynd Skynyrd enterprises was trying to stop it from being released.
I also remember, I believe in the doc you mentioned, that a lot of bandmates don't like Artimus any more.
I believe it had to do with his story about allegedly running for help after the plane crash and the rest of the bandmates saying that is bullshit, he was just looking out for himself, or something along those lines?
Old 11-07-2021, 09:11 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
I seen that one a couple years ago but I honestly forget the reference to that song that may have helped them choose their name.

I also don't know if Artimus Pyle's doc was ever released? IIRC, Ronnie's wife, who is in charge of, (or was) of Lynrynd Skynyrd enterprises was trying to stop it from being released.
I also remember, I believe in the doc you mentioned, that a lot of bandmates don't like Artimus any more.
I believe it had to do with his story about allegedly running for help after the plane crash and the rest of the bandmates saying that is bullshit, he was just looking out for himself, or something along those lines?
One of the beauties of Netflx is that you can go in and out of anything and fast forward/backward to any spot in the show. You can go into the film/documentary and find where Bill Burns is starting to talk about the Camp Granada song aroung the 9:20 mark in the film. They much later on near the end of the film go into the events and details of the crash, with Rossington doing most of the talking. Around the 1:28:50 mark of the film Pyle starts talking about waking up and seeing his friends bleeding and dying, so barefoot and with chest injuries he takes off into the woods looking for a farm house or someone to get help for everyone. And that was all that was said about it in this film. There was no mention of other band members hating him after that for having taken off from the crash site. At least not in this documentary film by Showtime.

Last edited by BobC; 11-10-2021 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:56 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
One of the beauties of Netflx is that you can go in and out of anything and fast forward/backward to any spot in the show. You can go into the film/documentary and find where Bill Burns is starting to talk about the Camp Granada song aroung the 9:20 mark in the film. They much later on near the end of the film go into the events and details of the crash, with Rossington doing most of the talking. Around the 1:28:50 mark of the film Pyle starts talking about waking up and seeing his friends bleeding and dying, so barefoot and with chest injuries he takes off into the woods looking for a farm house or someone to get help for everyone. And that was all that was said about it in this film. There was no mention of other band members hating him after that for having taken off from the crash site. At least not in this documentary film by Showtime.
It must have been in another doc or one of the numerous interviews with the bandmates.
Here is a clip of Artimus talking about Judy and her attempts at stopping the film and how he was basically shunned from the band.
I recall watching something with Gary Rossington and another band member specifically talking about Artimus and how they don't like him nor do they believe his story about seeking help after the plane crash.
Not sure I'll be able to find anymore, however?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xKtZN5Kog0

In this clip, Gary talks about it near the very end. Sounds like he forgives him now and just wants to move on but he does mention the riff, or whatever it was after the 10 minute mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBHjU1gMxrA

"Why Artimus Plye isn't part of Lynyrd Skynyrd's farwell tour"
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/arti...nterview-2020/

Last edited by irv; 11-08-2021 at 05:15 AM.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:42 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
It must have been in another doc or one of the numerous interviews with the bandmates.
Here is a clip of Artimus talking about Judy and her attempts at stopping the film and how he was basically shunned from the band.
I recall watching something with Gary Rossington and another band member specifically talking about Artimus and how they don't like him nor do they believe his story about seeking help after the plane crash.
Not sure I'll be able to find anymore, however?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xKtZN5Kog0

In this clip, Gary talks about it near the very end. Sounds like he forgives him now and just wants to move on but he does mention the riff, or whatever it was after the 10 minute mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBHjU1gMxrA

"Why Artimus Plye isn't part of Lynyrd Skynyrd's farwell tour"
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/arti...nterview-2020/
Funny, but everything I was seeing in your clips sounded more like it had to do with Judy Van Zant taking control of everything, and her and the management company taking and not sharing any money with band members like Artimus. Kind of hard to believe Pyle and Rossington are about the only two pre-crash band members still around. The one clip you attached talked about two members of the band's road crew even following Pyle as he left the crash site to go looking for help. And how when Pyle finally came upon a nearby farmer, the guy actually shot him. So that doesn't sound like the rest of the band was necessarily pissed at him for going to get help. More like because of his vocal comments against Judy for controlling things and taking his and other band member's money, and then for all the lawsuits and legal actions she brought against him when he went to do his own movie and book. Lot of different moving parts to this puzzle it sounds like.
Old 11-09-2021, 07:23 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Funny, but everything I was seeing in your clips sounded more like it had to do with Judy Van Zant taking control of everything, and her and the management company taking and not sharing any money with band members like Artimus. Kind of hard to believe Pyle and Rossington are about the only two pre-crash band members still around. The one clip you attached talked about two members of the band's road crew even following Pyle as he left the crash site to go looking for help. And how when Pyle finally came upon a nearby farmer, the guy actually shot him. So that doesn't sound like the rest of the band was necessarily pissed at him for going to get help. More like because of his vocal comments against Judy for controlling things and taking his and other band member's money, and then for all the lawsuits and legal actions she brought against him when he went to do his own movie and book. Lot of different moving parts to this puzzle it sounds like.
Well, read into what you will, but I know in the vid I seen, Gary and another bandmate totally disagree with Artimus's story.
In this vid, not the one I am referring to, Gary also talks of it at the 11:00 minute mark onward but yet near the end of this video, the farmer says he ran into Artimus so it makes Gary's story seem fabricated/untrue and was said, as Artimus stated, just to hurt him.
You'll also hear in the vid where the farmer denies shooting at Artimus but I know Artimus has stuck with that story over the years so who do you believe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFIkQjDtwOw

Lots of ugly going on, or was, with this band, but that seems to be the norm with a lot of big bands that have been together for a lot of years.

Lies, he said, she said, innuendo's, conjecture, and all sorts of different takes on the stories so it's highly unlikely you me or anyone else will ever be able to figure things out.

It's sad it came to this, but like I said above, not entirely out of the norm for these big bands.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:59 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Well, I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison
And I went to pick her up in the rain
But before I could get to the station in my pickup truck
She got runned over by a damned old train

from the perfect Country and Western Song

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-09-2021, 09:45 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Well, I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison
And I went to pick her up in the rain
But before I could get to the station in my pickup truck
She got runned over by a damned old train

from the perfect Country and Western Song
Great line but not as great IMO as
I shot a man in Reno
Just to watch him die

Old 11-10-2021, 02:06 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Well, read into what you will, but I know in the vid I seen, Gary and another bandmate totally disagree with Artimus's story.
In this vid, not the one I am referring to, Gary also talks of it at the 11:00 minute mark onward but yet near the end of this video, the farmer says he ran into Artimus so it makes Gary's story seem fabricated/untrue and was said, as Artimus stated, just to hurt him.
You'll also hear in the vid where the farmer denies shooting at Artimus but I know Artimus has stuck with that story over the years so who do you believe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFIkQjDtwOw

Lots of ugly going on, or was, with this band, but that seems to be the norm with a lot of big bands that have been together for a lot of years.

Lies, he said, she said, innuendo's, conjecture, and all sorts of different takes on the stories so it's highly unlikely you me or anyone else will ever be able to figure things out.

It's sad it came to this, but like I said above, not entirely out of the norm for these big bands.

Strange story for sure. The actual truth is probably somewhere in the middle. And as Artimus alludes to, I wouldn't be surprised if money has a prominent role somewhere in all this.