NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Default Favorite E-Bay purchases for August...

Posted By: Aaron M.

Alas, E-Bay isn't just about the scams (just mostly). Anyone make any great buys on the site last month? Great seller? Great bargain? An undiscovered gem? A last-second snipe that left the underbidders in tears?

My favorite for last month was an inexpensive, fairly common Harry Pulliam tobacco label that I'd regretfully passed on at the National (too many dealer tables, too little time). A couple weeks later, one popped up on E-Bay in one of Scott Gaynor's auctions: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5116162207

In the past few months I've won four or five different auctions of his and always the same--he ships immediately upon receipt of funds (not once has he waited for one of my checks to clear), the items are always packed extremely carefully (to the point of overkill!), and the items always arrive exactly as described (if not better than).

No different this time around with the label arriving less than a week after I'd mailed off my personal check from California. Deserved props to SCGaynor.

Anyone else?

Old 09-07-2004, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: The Other One (Julie)

I know you're sick of looking at the two N162s...I think they were both in August.

But i don't LIKE ebay (81 feedback in 3 years), and it was just a coincidence that i happened to use it to buy David's book. From Brian Hodes, I'm getting a PSA 4 N28 Caruthers, and from Brian McQueen, an e107 Thomas. Got some fairly neat stuff at Tri Star, too.

Old 09-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Here is my bargains of the month:

The backs are reversed, oops. I paid a total of $65 for the 2 cards.

I also own one of the Pullinam labels, beautiful!!! It actually has ties to me staarting to collect vintage baseball cards.

Old 09-07-2004, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Im not sure if it was a good deal or not, but my favorite card purchased in august was a T206 Speaker (I think it is a great looking SGC 40):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5112180390&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

Old 09-07-2004, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

Lee, are you serious - both of those cards for $65? Now that's a deal!!!

I picked up a few N172s but the one I thought was pretty cool for the price was a Jim O'Rourke for $133.50, I figured it would go for more for sure but then again I'm one of those strange people that think the card hobby revolves around the N172 issue.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5114073875&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

You can see the card in the item description and compare it to the scan below. I figure it wasn't too bad a price for a HOF N172 (even though some bug chewed it for a few meals).

There were also two Radbourn N172s that sold within a day of each other. That was pretty strange to see two Radbourns in two days, let alone two Radbourns in the same month.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5113037373&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

The card presents much better than the picture in the item description above. There was even a piece of paper, to the left of his head, that came off with a little bit of rubbing. Those were probably the most fun ebay purchases for August. Although the Radbourn probably wasn't a great deal I still think the card is much better than what was presented in the item description.

Old 09-07-2004, 11:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

Maybe not as great a deal as Lee's purchases, but the last one of these I had in comparable condition, I sold for $500 over 4 years ago! At least, since it is a "keeper", I won't have much $ tied up in it (and, it is Cobb's "Rookie" from 1907).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5121214474

Old 09-08-2004, 12:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Scott, good thing I was spending all my money on the Thorpe card, otherwise I would have gone after that Cobb. Great picture.

Jay

I saw wierd stuff in that place last night. Wierd, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff. And I want in.

Old 09-08-2004, 12:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

I had a very productive August adding 12 Obaks to the three sets I'm building (1909, '10, and '11). My highlight came at the end of the month when I snagged this decent 1909 Browning.

Old 09-08-2004, 06:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

After holding out for some time to acquire one for under $1,000, Greg at BOTN sold me this beauty in a GAI 5 holder for under $950 on ebay. I immediately had it crossed over into an SGC 60 holder. The best part is my wife picked up the tab for the card because it was our anniversary on August 16.

http://www.sgccardregistry.com/images.asp?cardid=28550&usetid=1015

Old 09-08-2004, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I could list all of my Summer ebay wins in one paragraph. The best deals were a Blum's Baseball Bulletin Supplement of Jim McAvoy (uncataloged I think) and an early Baseball Magazine Premium of Honus Wagner.

Old 09-08-2004, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Kasel

It's the Dougherty on the right. Condition ended up being even better than advertised.

Will SGC grade a card that is oversized?

Bill

Old 09-08-2004, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Yes they will grade oversized cards........

Old 09-08-2004, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron M.

T206: I thought I was the only one who ran that scam! My wife knows there's no way she's ever gonna find something that I like (I'm so particular and what we collect is generally so obscure and difficult to find it's pointless to even give her a wish list), so I reason with her, why not just let me pick out what I want and give her the pleasure of paying for it (although we have joint-checking, so I guess we're both paying for it, but I don't care as long as I get to spend more on memorabilia free of guilt).

Last year it was a collection of 1909 Cubs passes for my birthday. This year, I'm debating whether she got me a 1938 Brooklyn Dodgers Ebbetts Field "Night Game" ticket stub or if she really went all out and got me a 1948 Bowman basketball wax wrapper. Decisions, decisions.

BTW, always make sure to let her know how much you appreciate it. Months from now you should still be telling her how that card she got you was the best anniversary present you ever got. Otherwise, she may feel hoodwinked and next year you'll get a tie.

Lee: The scan just doesn't do the Pulliam label justice. In person it has such rich color and texture, it almost appears 3-dimensional. A great item for a small price.

Old 09-08-2004, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Hey Scott, you cheated, your purchase was in September, the thread says August.

Great Pickup though. Have you received it yet? I see it is a zero feedback guy.

Aaron, I also own a flawless Pulliam and it came looking better then expected. I have it framed in my livingroom.

Old 09-08-2004, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

You did get the best deals on the Matty's however! Just sent the $ out today. It was from a Zero feedback eBay (probably one of the reasons I was able to get it so cheap). However, the artbaron recently sold some nice cards under his old eBay handle and had 100% feedback from them, so I am hoping everything works out. To be honest, my max bid was MUCH HIGHER than the minimum I won it for! eBay is funny: sometimes you get good deals, sometimes you don't.

Old 09-10-2004, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

It's SO clean, back too--that tiny spot left color isn't on the card.

Old 09-24-2004, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BOTN

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30&item=5915561516

Was waiting for results from grading. 26 of the cards are 10's and 22 9's. The keys are 10's.

Old 09-24-2004, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

("this appears to be an earlier version of the game we know"--taking from seller's description)

Old 09-24-2004, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

I've bought a few raw T201's. They usually work out if you don't pay so much for them. I did pretty good with this one. SGC 60

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31719&item=5115521904

Old 09-24-2004, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

That was a great deal on the T201 Bergen/Wheat. I'd have been a little disappointed if I were the seller. I'd have been happy as heck if I were the buyer!

Old 09-25-2004, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BOTN

Julie,

This is the version from 1904 and the cards did not look any different. The seller wrote "This appears to be an earlier version of the same game name we have offered before." He must have previously sold the National League version from 1906. Would have been great to get my hands on that one too.

Greg