NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-06-2016, 10:09 PM

Default Seeking info on Vintage Spalding Tag

Can anyone tell me what the "S" and "F" means on this Spalding tag? I have seen similar tags like this, but never with letters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-07-06_230513.jpg (37.3 KB, 245 views)

Minneapolis Millers & St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats, Uniforms & Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...apolis+millers

Uniforms of the American Association of Baseball (1902-1962)

https://net54baseball.com/showthread...58#post2008658

Last edited by Tay1038; 07-06-2016 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:09 AM
Dave Grob

Default Spalding Tag

I have always associated that with Special Fabrics.
Dave Grob
Old 07-07-2016, 07:42 AM

Thank you, Dave

Old 07-07-2016, 08:07 AM
Dave Grob

Default Spalding Tag

Is the fabric on this jersey a more open weave, and possibly a lighter weight "Palm Beach" (Palm Beach was a product trademark name from Goldsmith).
Old 07-07-2016, 11:34 PM

It appears more open and lighter than what I would think something dating back this early. What date range would you rank this around? Is it professional? Any major league teams wear something like this fabric?

Old 07-07-2016, 11:39 PM

Close up on fabric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (84.2 KB, 140 views)

Old 07-08-2016, 06:27 AM
Dave Grob

Default Special Fabrics

Below is some information I included in a recently evaluated major league uniform that was tagged just like the one you depicted. This is a fascinating aspect (evolutions and changes in fabrics) of 20th century major league baseball uniforms and one I have spent a good deal of time on.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contemporary Accounts of Lighter/Cooler Fabrics and Other Uniform Innovations in Major League Baseball Uniforms During This Period

The Lethbridge Herald (March 12th, 1932) Article recounts that the Boston Red Sox began wearing numbers on the back of their uniforms in during the 1931 season. The article makes note of the fact that with the advent of numbers on uniforms, this created problems if a particular player’s jersey was not ready for game time. The detachable numbers made it possible to overcome this. As a side note, this article confirms that both the Braves and Red Sox were outfitted by Horace Partridge for the 1932 season.
NOTE: Provided to add context to the fact that there is a lot about uniforms and styles from this period that is not commonly known within the accepted body of knowledge relating to uniforms from this period. This too is a style of uniform that I have never seen or heard of being in any collection.

Hutchinson Kansas News (February 22nd, 1934): Article recounts how the Detroit Tigers will feature new lighter weight uniforms for the 1934 season. This was an idea brought about by manager Mickey Cochrane. The article goes on to say that “the uniforms will be much lighter in weight than the ones used in the past. Cochrane believes a light-weight uniform will help some of his charges maintain stamina during the hot summer months. He reduced the weight of the shirts five ounces and took two and one-half ounces from the weight of those pants”.
NOTE: To date, I have not seen these Detroit Tigers lightweight uniforms or know of any that have survived, but here we have an account for them that actually indicates that they were produced based on the fact that a statement is made for exactly how much lighter they are.

The Iola Daily Register (October 22nd, 1935): Brief mention at the end of an article titled “Hooks and Slides” mentions that “Taking their cue from those of the National, American' League umpires will wear lightweight uniforms next summer”.
NOTE: Another reference on period lighter fabrics at the major league level.

The Piqua Daily Gale (April 14th, 1936): Article titled Cincinnati Fans Will See Red When Reds Flash New Color Scheme. The article goes on to recount that “The Reds will be togged out In red pants during the nocturnal engagements, and on the bench will wear blue silk windbreakers with colors and cuffs striped red, white, and blue. The traditional red stockings are to be striped with white and blue. Daytime suits will be white Palm Beach affairs, designed to provide the players with cooler uniforms”.
NOTE: Continued mention of lighter fabrics and actual naming convention of “Palm Beach” being used.

The Sporting News (November 25th, 1937) “The Cincinnati Reds have used have used Palm Beach equipment the last two seasons. Last year, the Chicago Cubs wore uniforms made of this material, both at home and on the road. Two of the regular Cubs used their Palm Beach uniforms in the last series in Cincinnati late in September.” J.M. Crowley, P. Goldsmith & Sons.
NOTE: Another example of Palm Beach fabric uniforms. There is a 1937 Chicago Cubs Gabby Hartnett Goldsmith Palm Beach Home Jersey in the hobby (Mastro, 17 March 2001, obtained from Hartnett Family). Also may imply limited use and wear by less than a full team as may be the case here.

Lewiston Evening Journal (March 26th, 1938) The article states that “Those Dodgers are letting themselves in for it this year, Executive Leland Stanford MacPhail has ordained uniforms of crinkly Palm Beach material for extra hot days (St. Louis) and for the second games of double bills. The next step? Can they make shorts?”
NOTE: Another reference for “Palm Beach” uniforms that have yet to have surfaced in the hobby. Also interesting to note that the “hot location” is listed as being St. Louis. Stands to reason that if other clubs felt St. Louis was unseasonably warm in the summer, the Cardinals might have as well. This would be consistent with the c1935 St. Louis Cardinals home Palm Beach style uniform in my exemplar uniform library.

The Charleston Gazette (August 3rd, 1941) “The Zanesville Cubs, farm club for the Chicago National league club, has inherited a set of those palm beach uniforms now being worn by Jimmy Wilson's major leaguers. . . . They are sleeveless and said to be much cooler than the old flannels now worn by other clubs.”
NOTE: A related article, a contemporary newspaper account describe the Cub’s uniforms as a combination of “wool & rayon.” (Madison, WI Capital Times: July 29th, 1941).

The Bismarck Tribune (11 June 1941) Article titled “Cards Take Double Precautions For Mid-Summer Double Headers” makes note that an addition set of lightweight home and road uniforms so the players have something cooler to wear during the second game of a twin bill contest.

The Sporting News (June 26th, 1946) Article titled “Cards Sell Satin Suits”. Article conveys that “Red satin suits purchased by the Cardinals for night games on the road will be worn instead by the North Side Teen Town Team of the St. Louis Muny League. Manager Eddie Dyer felt the uniforms were too fancy for the present day successors of the old Gas House Gang. The uniforms were purchased from the Redbirds by Fred C. Steffens, a St. Louis Sportsman who donated them to the Teen Town players.”
NOTE: Example of Cardinal’s experimental/trial uniforms.

It is equally interesting to note the references for why a lighter fabric may have been preferred at this time as well in St. Louis. According to John Heidenry as he recalls the 1934 St. Louis Cardinals season in “The Gas House Gang”, the author noted that during the summer of 1934, the temperatures in St. Louis topped 100 degrees for thirty consecutive days. He also makes note of the fact that on 24 June of 1934, with the temperatures soaring to over a hundred degrees at game time, umpires Bill Klem, George Barr, and Bill Stewart removed their jackets and called the game in their shirt sleeves; a first in major league history. (For a detailed read, see pages 138-139, and 141-142).

Dave Grob
Old 07-08-2016, 01:01 PM

Dave,

Interesting these articles are from the 1930's. The Spadling tag if I am not mistaken is from the 1910's thru 1920?

Old 07-08-2016, 01:29 PM
Joe

Dave - very interesting information. Thanks.

Tay1038, can you share a full picture of the Jersey? Would be interested to see more of what it looks like.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:38 PM
Dave Grob

Default Spalding Tag and Special Fabrics

Taylor,

I am sorry this is not what you are looking for. This information was gathered over time as part my of looking at and researching irregular fabric uniforms from this period (1930s) of Spalding, Rawlings, and Goldsmith. The Spalding "irregular fabric" products I researched all shared the S F that your uniform has, hence my original response. I am sorry for the confusion in this area when I said "tagged just like yours", as I was only referring to the S F designation.

Since it appears I missed the intent and focus of your question, no I have not seen this tag on a Spalding product for a date range commensurate with the general dating of the tag.

For your deep dive into fabrics of the late 1910s and 1920s, I would recommend these references:
-The Sporting News
-Baseball Magazine
-The Sporting Life
-Any Spalding manufacturers information you might have access to.

v/r
Dave Grob
Old 07-08-2016, 01:46 PM

Dave, no worries at all. I enjoyed reading your post and I learned something new! Very much appreciated!

Old 07-08-2016, 02:28 PM
Jim Murphy

The SF notation on the tag on Spalding cloth item told you the item was made at their San Francisco factory

You may also find a B for Brooklyn and a C for Chicago on others but not all

Last edited by murphusa; 07-08-2016 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:16 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
The SF notation on the tag on Spalding cloth item told you the item was made at their San Francisco factory

You may also find a B for Brooklyn and a C for Chicago on others but not all
Huh, ....I've never know that. I've seen the B a lot, and I've also seen an S. How did you discover that Jim?
Old 07-08-2016, 03:18 PM
Dave Grob

Default Spalding Tagging

Jim,

Great post. I'm all ears (and I mean that). As I said in my response to your recent email, I have heard that about the SF tags before ....as well as B & C etc. I have never seen anything from the manufacturer or contemporary source to confirm this. I have also always felt, that if you want to be considered as a smart person in any particular area, you have to willing to admit you are not always the smartest person in the room (referring to myself here as not the smartest person in the room).

That being said, what I have always struggled with, from a practical standpoint, is then what does the "S" code mean, and in this same vein, might it then not have been more practical for Spalding to have produced the Dodgers uniforms in Brooklyn (B code vs S) or the Cubs in Chicago (C code vs S).

In addition to this, in looking at other manufacturer fabric sample catalogs (Rawlings, Wilson, Goldsmith), they tend to use a letter designation as it relates to a quality or type of fabric.

v/r
Dave Grob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slide1.jpg (73.6 KB, 79 views)
Old 07-08-2016, 03:53 PM
Jim Murphy

I have studied a lot of the early catalogs and their order forms which can give you a lot of information. I have also had a bunch of vintage boxed uniforms over the years and saw what was marked on them and also on the uniforms contained in them.

Spalding is really interesting in the Albert had an interest in a lot of other sports equipment manufactures. He was a major stock holder in Reach and at time during the years they made uniforms and other equipment for Spalding.

Like anything it is all part of over 50 years of collecting, buying and selling.

The 1915 number 3 Spalding catalog has a great write up on how to order their uniforms with every different material, sleeve length, and any other stuff you could get from the pro uniforms to baby sizes
Old 07-08-2016, 04:15 PM
Jim Murphy

Not to sterotype but due to the large Asian population in the early 1900's in SF maybe they employed them to do sewing etc. so they made their pro uniforms there. just a hunch

Last edited by murphusa; 07-08-2016 at 04:31 PM.