NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-19-2020, 08:02 AM
J@RR0D

Default When did the BST here turn into a card show dealer’s table?

This used to be a great place to make deals and make friends. Now it’s full of (mostly) newer people selling things at top dollar and beyond. There is one guy selling a graded 50s RC for 44% above the average Oct-present sold price on eBay (and hundreds more than the card has ever sold for in that grade that I can find). And it wasn’t a perfectly centered example or anything, just a nice card. I made him an offer for above the average, but got no reply.

There are some longtime members that post at higher prices, and I get it. Building in wiggle room, a booming market, etc. But most of these guys are friendly, flexible, like to trade, and contribute in other areas. But it seems there are fewer all the time.

I’ll go yell at some clouds now.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:01 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Hi Jarrod, I always make sure to shake my fist!

People's purchases are now based soley on the greater fool theory. I'm a victim of it myself. A certain mid grade card sold for 1600 in 2011, now has sold for16,000. I dont care how nice it is for the grade, I'm not "buying" it.

I hope it continues until my collection is gone at some point, but I can only see it ending in the same type of greed we saw in the 80s. New blood gets flushed out, and may or may not return decades later.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 12-19-2020, 09:13 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post
This used to be a great place to make deals and make friends. Now it’s full of (mostly) newer people selling things at top dollar and beyond. There is one guy selling a graded 50s RC for 44% above the average Oct-present sold price on eBay (and hundreds more than the card has ever sold for in that grade that I can find). And it wasn’t a perfectly centered example or anything, just a nice card. I made him an offer for above the average, but got no reply.

There are some longtime members that post at higher prices, and I get it. Building in wiggle room, a booming market, etc. But most of these guys are friendly, flexible, like to trade, and contribute in other areas. But it seems there are fewer all the time.

I can't really comment, considering I am newer, with the way prices are continuing to climb across the internet, it's making things very difficult. I have a fixed budget, that I can collect on at the moment, and barring me coming into money I didn't know about, I'm done for the year.

I'm really hoping when this COVID craze is over, that some prices start to lower. In my limited time here, I've met some very nice people who have been more than willing to be flexible on prices. But everything seems to be rising.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 12-19-2020, 10:00 AM
Bill par.sons

My reply deals with exponential rise in 50 and 60's superstar rc's. Examples include Alcindor, Butkus, Namath, Orr, Dryden on the non baseball side. The only explanation I can think off here is the investment side of the market.
I don't see as much of a rise on the non rookie cards of these players.
I personally have been looking to buy the Alcindor and it's way over what I could have bought it for 6 months ago. Like Triple. I can't go there so , in the end the average guy is out of the market for these.
Old 12-19-2020, 10:18 AM
Tom S

For collectors that feel they are being priced out of the market, don't be discouraged. This is the perfect time to rediscover what you have in your collection. Stop buying and enjoy what you have. Sanity will return.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:01 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

There's also a lot of listings that just get ignored due to price, that's the best cure on this forum. How many "bumps" have you seen on an overpriced card.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 12-19-2020, 12:42 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Patience, Grasshopper. There is a mainstream postwar card for every budget.

You just have to keep looking.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-19-2020, 02:28 PM
J0hn H@rper

I've only been here a year, but it's always seemed like the BST is clearly a seller's market, even before covid.

People in the forum usually price things around 100% of recent ebay sales (or slightly higher if there's wiggle room), and they often get it. So the sellers often save about 15% in fees (while the buyers just save sales tax.) Plus the lack of purchase protection here.

That's not a complaint. Just the reality of what I've seen. If I decide to sell more, it'd be a good thing
Old 12-19-2020, 03:10 PM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

Deals still pop up in the BST, but there seems to be more competition. Prices have been regularly setting records as of late, so the high prices are not a surprise. This place is not immune to the current market state
Old 12-19-2020, 03:20 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Now it’s full of (mostly) newer people selling things at top dollar and beyond.
Yup. That says a lot. It seems every time I look at the B/S/T, there are newbies posting things at silly prices. My guess is they searched the internet (because of the amount of press revolving around vintage card sales) for "Where to sell my baseball cards?" and eventually made their way here. I'm a free-market kinda guy, so I accept it, but it is annoying.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-19-2020, 05:21 PM
Tim Odeen

I wanted to chime in about making friends on this site, like the OP briefly stated.

There are individuals I have bought from before on BST that I enjoyed doing business with, or follow individuals and their postings and know their interests are similar to mine. Sometimes when I'm looking for something, I reach out to them without even knowing what they have, nothing posted on BST, or if they are even selling. I simply say, I'm considering buying XYZ, what do you have that is comparable? I bought three items this year doing that.

I never collected pennants. After watching the pennant thread for two years, I reached out to a common poster and he said it was perfect timing, he was just about to send a package to auction. I ended up with my first two Reds pennants.

The community at Net54 is a great group of collectors. And if a person is patient, participates in threads, and tries to make friends here, great items will come their way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 12-19-2020, 05:22 PM
J@RR0D

That’s exactly it, Darren.

And I wasn’t just saying “man, card prices are high”, I’m saying I used to enjoy making deals here. I’ve been given many good deals, and try to pay that forward. I’ve got one card posted here for about 20% under what it sells for on eBay, because these are my “friends” or at least people I’ve learned so much from over the years. I guess the guard is changing.
Old 12-19-2020, 06:15 PM

I’ve only been here for 5 years or so but I will say recently I am seeing a lot of people posting cards for so much more than eBay like the OP said I don’t even bother.

The times where I have bought are usually folks that have fair pricing and TBH just want to chat and have a good conversation. It’s sort of people that seem to enjoy the hobby and have fun while taking the time to chat.

I know everyone wants to make a buck but I really enjoy just collecting and having fun.

So to the Op I get what you are saying and I think it’s a more than fair topic.

Last edited by gustomania; 12-19-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:27 PM
Phil

I was going to post, but changed my mind. Happy collecting to all, even if prices are going through the roof.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:37 AM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I wanted to chime in about making friends on this site, like the OP briefly stated.

There are individuals I have bought from before on BST that I enjoyed doing business with, or follow individuals and their postings and know their interests are similar to mine. Sometimes when I'm looking for something, I reach out to them without even knowing what they have, nothing posted on BST, or if they are even selling. I simply say, I'm considering buying XYZ, what do you have that is comparable? I bought three items this year doing that.

I never collected pennants. After watching the pennant thread for two years, I reached out to a common poster and he said it was perfect timing, he was just about to send a package to auction. I ended up with my first two Reds pennants.

The community at Net54 is a great group of collectors. And if a person is patient, participates in threads, and tries to make friends here, great items will come their way.

I hope that most members feel the same.

I joined earlier this year and took a while to get the feel of things before bidding on a couple of live auctions. That went well and I bought few other things from members. Each time, I've been very happy with the results.

Like you, I bought my first pennants via Net54.

In the last month or so, I've put a few items for sale in BST. (Hopefully, I've been fair in my prices.) My rule of thumb is the eBay price ess the fees I'd save + a bit more discount because I'm more confident about the calibre of buyer on Net54. Its a little trickier for me because I need to account for shipping from the UK.

Ultimately, if no-one buys items that are over-priced, prices will come down or those sellers will move on.

My biggest challenge when buying on Net54 is that good items go fast.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:43 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Ive made a few friends here and deal exclusively with them on the BST. Decent price but the customer service is amazing and they always let me know what they have that I might be interested in. I tend to skip past the newbies posting in here. The way I treat it is that the BST is for long time contributors here to load off stuff to other good members.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:52 PM
Albert Bee

Default prices

Yea - some prices in the BST are way out of whack

I know its prob wrong..would start a huge insult posting war...and prob against Net54 rules..but

, it would be nice to be able to " constructively "comment -
for ex - Wow, that price seems high for a 69 T Kaline, I didnt think they are selling for that...or How did you arrive at that price for that Griffey card...it seems a bit too much

but, it prob would lead to no good
Old 12-26-2020, 05:33 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:

I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said, but do want to thank you for a good chuckle this morning. "I'll go yell at some clouds now" haven't heard that one, and will use it someday if you don't mind

Happy Holidays everyone!
Old 12-26-2020, 08:02 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post
Yea - some prices in the BST are way out of whack

I know its prob wrong..would start a huge insult posting war...and prob against Net54 rules..but

, it would be nice to be able to " constructively "comment -
for ex - Wow, that price seems high for a 69 T Kaline, I didnt think they are selling for that...or How did you arrive at that price for that Griffey card...it seems a bit too much

but, it prob would lead to no good
Yeah, that wouldn't be a good plan.
People can ask what they want to of course. I don't see any major clogging up of sections. There are still a week or more of new threads on each front page of the sections. If the prices are too high the card/item won't sell. I have probably bought and sold more than 100 things there this year. But I have missed out on some good stuff going quickly too,. I save BP AND tax over there....so around 30% under and AH....

Please PM me with any issues over there. And always, always make sure you are comfortable with your trading partner. If not, PM me and I can call them and chat for a minute to try to alleviate concerns. There have been a few brand new member scammers over there this year. Be careful.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:00 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Don't forget to make offers too. Not every price is fixed; unless someone says the price is firm, worst case is the seller says no. Just use a little common sense and courtesy. No one is going to sell their 1952 Topps Mantle for $19.95, and no one wants to be 'educated' on the value of their cards. The nice thing about BST in the 'family' is that we all (ideally) know and respect one another as collectors so we can skip the nonsensical posturing and not engage in abusive tactics like lowballing offers. I saw a card I wanted yesterday, thought the price was a little aggressive, offered what I thought was reasonable, and got the item. No muss, no fuss.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-26-2020 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:53 AM
Phil

Not on this site but on other collector-oriented boards I've had interested parties inform me that they couldn't pay my asking price because as they needed my items to add to their inventory. I guess I can understand that, but I've always considered collector-oriented groups to be that, collectors exchanging items to help one another with their collections.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:00 AM
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
Ive made a few friends here and deal exclusively with them on the BST. Decent price but the customer service is amazing and they always let me know what they have that I might be interested in. I tend to skip past the newbies posting in here. The way I treat it is that the BST is for long time contributors here to load off stuff to other good members.
Collector-oriented boards are a fantastic way to help find items for our respective collections. However, at what point does a "newby" gain acceptance to where they are party to dealing with other members of this board?
Old 12-27-2020, 11:03 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tere1071 View Post
Collector-oriented boards are a fantastic way to help find items for our respective collections. However, at what point does a "newby" gain acceptance to where they are party to dealing with other members of this board?
Lots of non BST convos to participate and contribute in on this board so members get to know you.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:12 AM
James M.

Quote:
Lots of non BST convos to participate and contribute in on this board so members get to know you.
I would tend to agree. Even if it's just asking a simple question or sharing your opinion on a sports topic. As someone on the newer side, I never am made to feel discouraged by asking questions. A lot to learn here on these boards.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:40 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tere1071 View Post
Think of it like ebay. The more you post on various non-BST threads, the more people get to know you. And if you buy on the BST, you can add successful transactions to your signature line so that other board members can see you have positive reviews. It doesn't take that long to move from newby to respected if you participate in this thread like a collector rather than a flipper/get rich quick dealer.

There have been a couple newbys who burned bridges on the BST in the last 6 months with their first postings. It muddies the waters for other new board members trying to sell.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 12-27-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
Think of it like ebay. The more you post on various non-BST threads, the more people get to know you. And if you buy on the BST, you can add successful transactions to your signature line so that other board members can see you have positive reviews. It doesn't take that long to move from newby to respected if you participate in this thread like a collector rather than a flipper/get rich quick dealer.

There have been a couple newbys who burned bridges on the BST in the last 6 months with their first postings. It muddies the waters for other new board members trying to sell.

i sorta checked out of the thread this one newbie made, but wonder what happened to the guy with the mantle and jackie robinson who inherited his collection and was trying to sell stuff for 12 million % above market value.

Last edited by hockeyhockey; 12-27-2020 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:11 AM
Rich Klein

In simplest terms:

A seller has the right to ask whatever he/she wants for a card or memorabilia item.

A buyer has the right to purchase or pass on any item based on their perception of what they want to pay.

It's not our job to tell someone else how they should price their merchandise.

For further discussion on this subject go to the twitter and see my discussions on twitter on this very issue.

Rich
Old 12-28-2020, 10:17 AM
J0hn Collin$

Not so much here recently, but selling elsewhere on places like in FB forums - I've learned you can do it either with the arguments and hassle, or if you don't want to deal with that - follow a simple rule. If your item is priced fairly, it will either sell for that price or close to what you are looking for. If not, be prepared for the sound of crickets. In some places, I brace myself for a slew of lowball offers, and when they come in - I politely decline. If I then sell the card an hour later for my asking price or 90% thereof, I know I was right and they were wrong. But I've also had the opposite happen when I hear the crickets. Sometimes when this happens, with a little research - I can see where I was the one who was wrong.

Last edited by jchcollins; 12-28-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:24 AM
J@RR0D

Quote:
This 100%... as long as it's not all in the autograph forum asking "Is this Mantle good?"
Old 12-29-2020, 08:22 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
In simplest terms:

A seller has the right to ask whatever he/she wants for a card or memorabilia item.

A buyer has the right to purchase or pass on any item based on their perception of what they want to pay.

It's not our job to tell someone else how they should price their merchandise.

For further discussion on this subject go to the twitter and see my discussions on twitter on this very issue.

Rich
"the twitter"; hee hee, you sound like my dad, Rich.

Or not...
Old 12-29-2020, 01:02 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
"the twitter"; hee hee, you sound like my dad, Rich.
That age thing is why my name on "The Twitter" is known as "Uncle Rich Klein" --

When Facebook began back in the day -- Mark Zuckenberg called it and it was known as "The Facebook" so let's make it "The Twitter" and "The Linked-In" to go with that old school name.

Last edited by Rich Klein; 12-29-2020 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
There's also a lot of listings that just get ignored due to price, that's the best cure on this forum. How many "bumps" have you seen on an overpriced card.
I posted a card for sale in B/S/T and a very kind soul paid me more than I was asking for it
Old 12-29-2020, 11:28 PM
J@RR0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Cards View Post
I posted a card for sale in B/S/T and a very kind soul paid me more than I was asking for it
Was it that 57 Mantle? That was a great card and a good, honest buyer. That’s the Net54 I like.
Old 12-30-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Was it that 57 Mantle? That was a great card and a good, honest buyer. That’s the Net54 I like.
Yep. I priced it too low and lots of interest and he was kind enough to bail me out a bit.

But you've brought up a good point. I'm on this forum to have fun.

For many others though, it's a business. And I get that too, everyone has to hustle in this world.