NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 02-10-2021, 03:38 PM
Steve M.

Default Rarely seen monster hits auction...

Anyone else watching this card? Can't remember the last time I saw one at auction. This is probably going to break some records and set all time highs

Pop 24
Old 02-10-2021, 09:01 PM

That seems a little out of control for a 'junk era' card, even if it is a 10.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:00 PM
Steve M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MU Wally View Post
That seems a little out of control for a 'junk era' card, even if it is a 10.
Agreed. But I guess a few potential bidders don't see it that way. Crazy market we are in!
Old 02-11-2021, 03:07 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

There are lots of different opinions as to when the start of the junk wax era began. I personally would not consider 1980 topps a member of this phrase. I’m curious, however, as to the year you think the era began.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2021, 04:51 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

This is not a junk wax card by any means and yes a very hard card to find in PSA 10.
Junk wax began IMO in 1987.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:55 PM
Marc S.

Such a cool card.

I'm the lucky / proud owner of one of the few 1973 Topps Schmidt cards graded PSA 10. Had a few people calling me this past Summer trying to get me to consign to auction, since none had appeared in a few years. Lo and behold one recently sold by Heritage, and another one is currently on the block.

It is interesting how the supply/demand dynamics play out in bringing certain cards to market. Surely, for example, there has been a proliferation of Jordan PSA 10 rookies recently - given the huge surge in price
Old 02-11-2021, 09:02 PM

i think i saw it at 20,000 a few days ago. totally nuts. also i'm an idiot for passing up a rickey PSA 8 for $100 a few months ago. thought it was a little OC for my liking, and ended up with a 7. can't believe the 8s are going for 5 hundy now. craziness.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:07 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyhockey View Post
i think i saw it at 20,000 a few days ago. totally nuts. also i'm an idiot for passing up a rickey PSA 8 for $100 a few months ago. thought it was a little OC for my liking, and ended up with a 7. can't believe the 8s are going for 5 hundy now. craziness.
I wouldn't feel too bad, because this can be said about almost any card in this current Market. Granted I'm more of a collector than a seller, so my perspective is more of "thank God I got it when I did."

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:06 PM
je.sse @rnot

9s were 300 when 10s were 30k. 9s are what, 3 or 4k now. Wouldn't be surprised if this goes a lot higher.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reals View Post
There are lots of different opinions as to when the start of the junk wax era began. I personally would not consider 1980 topps a member of this phrase. I’m curious, however, as to the year you think the era began.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with you I am being harsh in applying the term to 1980, but I think that way from about 1978 until cards went all glossy (which is where my interest ends).

My feeling is that, from a collecting stand point (I'm not a seller), the difference between nearly 1 million (early 80's) and 3 million card print runs (late 80's) isn't as significant as the numerical difference indicates. If you believe the post on this site from JUrsaner on print runs (and if I'm reading it correctly) 800,000 of that card was produced. That's a significant supply. Of course, the 10 grade is the X factor here, but I'm guessing there is a significant supply of high grade protected but undergraded versions of this card out there still. Long term I think that will bear itself out in the price, just based on supply and demand.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyhockey View Post
Wow, 8's are going for that much?! I just checked my records and I bought mine for $57 delivered on Christmas day (Henderson's B-day) 2016.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:11 PM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

What about the ones in the complete sets?
Old 02-12-2021, 09:08 PM
Tim Odeen

Wasn't there a thread recently discussing a certain company trying to corner the market on Henderson RCs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 02-13-2021, 09:35 AM

Would it be that hard to artificially boost the price for the more common grades of this card? You have this 10, get a few 'identity protected' bidders to have this high profile Ebay bidding war that ends with a crazy high price. The 'winner' gets their money back (or some of it and they keep the card) thru a different non-Ebay transaction. Then the organizer of the frenzy begins selling their 'stash' of grade 7-9 Rickey's, or even ungraded ones, at a significantly higher price citing this 100K plus sale of the 10.

Sorry if I am a cynic. If I heard someone on this site admit to placing one of those bids above 50K maybe I wouldn't think that way.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:05 PM

If your looking for a deal, I just noticed another Rickey 10 (Dmitri Young collection no less) that's at 95K on a non-Ebay auction site.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:09 PM
Tom S

Quote:
I agree with you I am being harsh in applying the term to 1980, but I think that way from about 1978 until cards went all glossy (which is where my interest ends).

My feeling is that, from a collecting stand point (I'm not a seller), the difference between nearly 1 million (early 80's) and 3 million card print runs (late 80's) isn't as significant as the numerical difference indicates. If you believe the post on this site from JUrsaner on print runs (and if I'm reading it correctly) 800,000 of that card was produced. That's a significant supply. Of course, the 10 grade is the X factor here, but I'm guessing there is a significant supply of high grade protected but undergraded versions of this card out there still. Long term I think that will bear itself out in the price, just based on supply and demand.
Back in 1980 I bought hundreds of wax packs Cello packs and grocery packs and then purchased 3 vending boxes of cards. Still no complete set. But I ended up with 12 off centered Henderson rookie cards. Sold them at a Strongville auction back in 1992 for something like 35 dollars total.

There can be an argument for calling 1980 the start of the Junk Era. In the Complete Book of Baseball Cards (1976) by Steve Clark. It is Quoted that according to Topps company records in 1975 they sold 250,000,000 cards.

That figure probably includes other sports and non sports, But Baseball was their huge seller.

Fast forward to 1980 and Baseball card collecting started to explode with the yearly Beckett guide selling like hotcakes (I was elated the 1957 Koufax I bought for 2 bucks was now a whopping 20) and DEALERS sucking in collectors with this rookie card nonsense. I wouldn't be surprised if Topps printed a billion cards that year.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:16 AM
Steve M.

Ended last night over $180,00.... thoughts?
Old 02-16-2021, 04:50 AM

Insane. I watched the last 5 minutes as it jumped from 105K or something all the way to 180K. Just insane.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:11 PM
je.sse @rnot

The one at heritage will probably go for even more. Crazy times!
Old 02-16-2021, 07:05 PM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Quote:
Would it be that hard to artificially boost the price for the more common grades of this card? You have this 10, get a few 'identity protected' bidders to have this high profile Ebay bidding war that ends with a crazy high price. The 'winner' gets their money back (or some of it and they keep the card) thru a different non-Ebay transaction. Then the organizer of the frenzy begins selling their 'stash' of grade 7-9 Rickey's, or even ungraded ones, at a significantly higher price citing this 100K plus sale of the 10.

Sorry if I am a cynic. If I heard someone on this site admit to placing one of those bids above 50K maybe I wouldn't think that way.
I would wager this has been happening since last summer. A 10 sets a record breaking price. Domino effect results in people raising prices on lower grade cards, people have FOMO resulting in higher prices, which then bleeds into unopened and spurs increases in unopened product as people hope to get high grade cards. Happening right now with 1991 Upper Deck. Michael Jordan spiked in price and now unopened has gone up 2x-3x in two weeks. Complete market manipulation and frenzy.

Last edited by jimjim; 02-16-2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:26 AM
Steve M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyinthehall View Post
Insane. I watched the last 5 minutes as it jumped from 105K or something all the way to 180K. Just insane.
I projected $150k a few days ago. Was actually surprised it went that high. The market is on fire
Old 02-20-2021, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
I would wager this has been happening since last summer. A 10 sets a record breaking price. Domino effect results in people raising prices on lower grade cards, people have FOMO resulting in higher prices, which then bleeds into unopened and spurs increases in unopened product as people hope to get high grade cards. Happening right now with 1991 Upper Deck. Michael Jordan spiked in price and now unopened has gone up 2x-3x in two weeks. Complete market manipulation and frenzy.
Comforting that I'm not the only thinking that is a possibility. With prices that high the temptation for manipulation is intense. No stress when you're hunting thru $1 bins!