NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-28-2021, 10:01 AM
GaryPassamonte

Default 19th century cards

I just did a quick glance at the May pick up thread and found only two 19th century cards in 147 posts. With all the fervor in almost all other card sectors, why has the 19th century been left behind? Are 19th century collectors a dying breed or have younger collectors not "advanced" to the roots of baseball and the cards of the era yet?
Old 05-28-2021, 10:23 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

I think your second point is definitely true; it seems to me that many collectors are simply holding their 19th century stuff. Seems harder to find 19th century cards FS everywhere, not just on here.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:26 AM
J.O.N

I’m holding onto my few. Here’s a card because all threads need one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:59 AM
Rob

Here's a recent addition, Shorty Fuller OJ with Buck Barker style notations on back. Also shown, Fuller's Pelicans cabinet...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Soubyshortyfuller161.jpg (52.8 KB, 728 views)
File Type: jpg n172fuller.jpg (72.2 KB, 726 views)
File Type: jpg n172fullerb.jpg (41.6 KB, 718 views)
Old 05-28-2021, 11:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

There seems to be a lack of interest from what I have seen. I like them a lot but admittedly they aren't my focus. Maybe a lot of collectors just have a few and aren't focused on them?

Picked this one up in the last few months.

Old 05-28-2021, 11:52 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

If anybody knows where I can find them I'd love some more of these in this condition.
-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N321 Hess.jpg (74.8 KB, 706 views)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 05-28-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Here's a recent addition, Shorty Fuller OJ with Buck Barker style notations on back. Also shown, Fuller's Pelicans cabinet...
That Old Judge indeed has Buck Barker's handwriting on back. Also, I can't quite make it out because it looks like it was partially erased, but on the bottom it should also indicate the last name of whom Buck received this card from in 1958.

Brian
Old 05-28-2021, 01:00 PM
Joe M.

Can’t find any Detroit that I need. Of course what I need are tough finds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5A77500A-A8B4-4830-8607-287606ED8F92.jpg (15.5 KB, 678 views)

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 05-28-2021, 01:21 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Interesting. This is a recent pickup of mine. Could this be Barker's handwriting as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
That Old Judge indeed has Buck Barker's handwriting on back. Also, I can't quite make it out because it looks like it was partially erased, but on the bottom it should also indicate the last name of whom Buck received this card from in 1958.

Brian
Old 05-28-2021, 01:29 PM
�tis J�hns�n

Here's a Tim Keefe I picked up on Facebook.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210528-142701.jpg (8.9 KB, 667 views)
Old 05-28-2021, 02:16 PM
C.hris Bl.and

IMO most of the "new" money coming in to the hobby is spent on mainstream cards of the bigger stars or more widely known sets like T206

No one wants to spend 1k for a nice OJ of Tommy McCarthy

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 05-28-2021, 03:30 PM
GaryPassamonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
IMO most of the "new" money coming in to the hobby is spent on mainstream cards of the bigger stars or more widely known sets like T206

No one wants to spend 1k for a nice OJ of Tommy McCarthy
But someone did for a Yum Yum Ewing, Chris. Great card!
Old 05-28-2021, 03:37 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
If anybody knows where I can find them I'd love some more of these in this condition.
-
Phil, those are beautiful. Color always brings the point home.
Old 05-28-2021, 03:38 PM
Phil Garry

As previously mentioned, the investors are after the GOATS, very difficult to compare the modern game to the 1880’s-1890’s, where the likes of Cap Anson would be recognized as the greatest of that era. I bet you that 95%+ of investors have never heard of Cap Anson without google searching him.

The best way to gauge true collector interest is that almost every BST ad on Net54 in the 19th century section is BUYING this HOF’er or that HOF’er, rarely, if ever, SELLING a HOF’er. Look it up.
Old 05-28-2021, 03:52 PM
Mike

Default Re: 19th Century cards

*deleted/mistake/duplicate*

Last edited by Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey; 05-28-2021 at 04:02 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 05-28-2021, 03:54 PM
Mike

Default Re: 19th Century cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
As previously mentioned, the investors are after the GOATS, very difficult to compare the modern game to the 1880’s-1890’s, where the likes of Cap Anson would be recognized as the greatest of that era. I bet you that 95%+ of investors have never heard of Cap Anson without google searching him..
Sweet!!! I'm in the 5%

And I was told the Simpsons would "rot my brain"....HA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test.jpg (20.0 KB, 615 views)

Last edited by Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey; 05-28-2021 at 04:01 PM. Reason: sorry trying to figure out how to enter in an image....
Old 05-28-2021, 04:11 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
Try saying “Yum Yum Ewing” ten times fast.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:16 PM
C.hris Bl.and

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
Ha thanks Gary!

Andrew - Yum Yum Ewing doesn't flow right off the tongue. I wonder who decided to name a tobacco brand "Yum Yum"

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 05-28-2021, 09:17 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
Ha thanks Gary!

Andrew - Yum Yum Ewing doesn't flow right off the tongue. I wonder who decided to name a tobacco brand "Yum Yum"
I'm sure it was named after the character in The Mikado, which was massively popular in the late 1880s. There were tons of Mikado-themed trade cards issued at the time, including many picturing Yum Yum.

Old 05-28-2021, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Interesting. This is a recent pickup of mine. Could this be Barker's handwriting as well?

Image is kinda small, but it does look like it is possibly Buck's handwriting. Post a bigger image and I should be able to more positively identify.

Brian
Old 05-28-2021, 09:45 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Thanks Brian, here is a larger image of the back.

Quote:
Image is kinda small, but it does look like it is possibly Buck's handwriting. Post a bigger image and I should be able to more positively identify.

Brian

Last edited by BobbyStrawberry; 05-28-2021 at 09:46 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 05-29-2021, 01:18 AM

That appears to be Buck's handwriting...always fun to see it on cards other than Zeenuts.

Brian
Old 05-29-2021, 04:15 AM

The noise level for new stuff is incredibly high. I see 19th century baseball as a much smaller voice - but a voice that has a whole lot more meaningful things to say.

For years, I was caught up in new stuff, but once I discovered 19th century baseball, I couldn't get enough. I think it is all a matter of educating newer collectors about 19th century baseball.

I love being able to talk to others about this time period, and have perked up more ears than I can count. It is one of the greatest "untapped" time periods in the history of our sport - for the 2021 collector, that is.
Old 05-29-2021, 11:23 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Good to know! I appreciate the input, Brian
Quote:
That appears to be Buck's handwriting...always fun to see it on cards other than Zeenuts.

Brian
Old 05-29-2021, 12:11 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

1) Lack of recognizable names today restricts the 19th market to people who are interested in that period, eliminating the #investor crowd. There is also not an iconic card to drive interest to the rest of the set. most hobbyists know T206 Wagner, 1952 Topps Mantle's, 33 Lajoie's, even things like T206 Cobb's. There are some great and very expensive 19th century cards, but there's not really an iconic card to the rest of the hobby that draws more eyes to it.

2) It's a struggle for set collectors. Sets are for the most part extremely rare and difficult, most of them practically impossible for even the wealthier. The easier ones are usually not really baseball sets like N28/N29. Those of us primarily interested in set collecting thus tend to stick with other things. I'm sure someone has an example of a set for which this is not true, but it is mostly true.

3) Maybe it's just me, but a mangled T206 is still a nice looking image. Fading has ruined the appearance of a large number of the surviving 19th century cards that are mostly photographic. Later photographic cards mostly do not have this problem.

4) Tied to 3 somewhat, the grading companies appear to ignore or mostly ignore fading and stock damage (frequently slabbing excellent old Judge's which are obviously heavily faded and damaged) further discourages the #invest, and also some mid-grade collectors. The registry is also less of a factor, a little bit of cards being "too rare" going on here.

5) It is difficult to dip one's toes into the 19th century water. Collectors tend to start at the low-end of the scale, picking up a common T206 or something as a first of an era. This is still a pretty cheap "that's cool" whim buy, you can get a T205 or T206 for less than $20, a Goudey for less than $10 to get a card from an era collectors today didn't witness and have memories of. 19th century baseball, there isn't such a common low-price buy-in to serve as a starting point and have that "that's cool" turn into "wow, I want to get more of these!". Most people don't start with the marque cards outside of the #invest crowd, which other factors discourage.

I like 19th century baseball, I love seeing the cards posted here, but I don't have many myself primarily for reason 3, I love set-building and sets are generally either too rare or too expensive for me to justify doing. Just some thoughts.

Last edited by G1911; 05-29-2021 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-29-2021, 12:56 PM
GaryPassamonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
1) Lack of recognizable names today restricts the 19th market to people who are interested in that period, eliminating the #investor crowd. There is also not an iconic card to drive interest to the rest of the set. most hobbyists know T206 Wagner, 1952 Topps Mantle's, 33 Lajoie's, even things like T206 Cobb's. There are some great and very expensive 19th century cards, but there's not really an iconic card to the rest of the hobby that draws more eyes to it.

2) It's a struggle for set collectors. Sets are for the most part extremely rare and difficult, most of them practically impossible for even the wealthier. The easier ones are usually not really baseball sets like N28/N29. Those of us primarily interested in set collecting thus tend to stick with other things. I'm sure someone has an example of a set for which this is not true, but it is mostly true.

3) Maybe it's just me, but a mangled T206 is still a nice looking image. Fading has ruined the appearance of a large number of the surviving 19th century cards that are mostly photographic. Later photographic cards mostly do not have this problem.

4) Tied to 3 somewhat, the grading companies appear to ignore or mostly ignore fading and stock damage (frequently slabbing excellent old Judge's which are obviously heavily faded and damaged) further discourages the #invest, and also some mid-grade collectors. The registry is also less of a factor, a little bit of cards being "too rare" going on here.

5) It is difficult to dip one's toes into the 19th century water. Collectors tend to start at the low-end of the scale, picking up a common T206 or something as a first of an era. This is still a pretty cheap "that's cool" whim buy, you can get a T205 or T206 for less than $20, a Goudey for less than $10 to get a card from an era collectors today didn't witness and have memories of. 19th century baseball, there isn't such a common low-price buy-in to serve as a starting point and have that "that's cool" turn into "wow, I want to get more of these!". Most people don't start with the marque cards outside of the #invest crowd, which other factors discourage.

I like 19th century baseball, I love seeing the cards posted here, but I don't have many myself primarily for reason 3, I love set-building and sets are generally either too rare or too expensive for me to justify doing. Just some thoughts.

Excellent analysis.
Old 05-29-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
As previously mentioned, the investors are after the GOATS, very difficult to compare the modern game to the 1880’s-1890’s, where the likes of Cap Anson would be recognized as the greatest of that era. I bet you that 95%+ of investors have never heard of Cap Anson without google searching him.

The best way to gauge true collector interest is that almost every BST ad on Net54 in the 19th century section is BUYING this HOF’er or that HOF’er, rarely, if ever, SELLING a HOF’er. Look it up.
It is not PC to buy Anson cards. The new money wouldn't be interested.
Old 05-30-2021, 03:03 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Agree. It’s tough to spend a lot of money on cards of the guy most responsible for the institution of the color barrier in baseball. What if some day his plaque is removed from Cooperstown?
Old 05-30-2021, 03:22 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Excellent analysis, Greg.

I've purchased a few N cards over the last year or so, but at least for me, they are purely opportunistic purchases. Except for a few 'mainstream' issues these are cards that just don't show up often. That may be part of the answer as to why we don't see much 'action' on them. I have a want list of 19th century cards that I do not expect to satisfy except by happenstance, as was the case with the most recent one I picked up.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-31-2021, 12:21 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
There seems to be a lack of interest from what I have seen. I like them a lot but admittedly they aren't my focus. Maybe a lot of collectors just have a few and aren't focused on them?

Picked this one up in the last few months.

Leon, the Brooklyn Minis are by far my favorite Old Judge cards. Nice pick up

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 05-31-2021, 11:55 AM
rgpete

Because of Samuel Barkley he was one of the players who changed the name of the Pittsburgh Alleghenies to the Pirates
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old Judge 001.jpg (76.1 KB, 398 views)
File Type: jpg Old Judge 002.jpg (77.3 KB, 395 views)
Old 05-31-2021, 09:18 PM
Craig L.

My recent OJ pick up. Not a lot of Des Moines cards to be found lately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210511_021416076.jpg (72.5 KB, 355 views)
Pre-1957 Des Moines baseball memorbilia
**Ok, I buy DM stuff after '57**

Working on the following sets:
-T201 Master Set
-B18s set minus Reds. *18 to go*
-T202 End panel set
-'35 Goudey
-T206 361 commons/common back
Old 05-31-2021, 10:42 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Beautiful image Craig!
Old 06-01-2021, 08:42 PM
Craig L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Beautiful image Craig!
Thanks Jay. Probably one of the nicest in my collection.
Pre-1957 Des Moines baseball memorbilia
**Ok, I buy DM stuff after '57**

Working on the following sets:
-T201 Master Set
-B18s set minus Reds. *18 to go*
-T202 End panel set
-'35 Goudey
-T206 361 commons/common back
Old 06-01-2021, 11:08 PM
John Wondowski

Love 'em - but only own one. And, it's because he's a Penn Stater! Got this from a fellow board member.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img758.jpg (78.2 KB, 270 views)
Old 06-02-2021, 03:51 AM

Default Hope for 19th crntityy

Hi Gary and others

There is a small but growing new gem of 19 century collectors. I am a boomer but two younger friends and I have started a private Facebook group called Old Judge Collectors or OJC. We have 73 members so far, our aim is to share knowledge, show off new cards, rap about 19th c baseball snd occasionally help each other get new cards.

I still use net54 for buy sell etc but our site is fun and I think it will stoke next gen on 19 C cards. If you look at history of sales (vcp) it has always been a niche market, but I feel there is hope snd interest in keeping it alive.

Anyone interested can friend me on Facebook or net messenger.
Old 06-02-2021, 06:49 AM
GaryPassamonte

Which Ken Rhodes are you on facebook?
Old 06-02-2021, 12:16 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Leon, I wonder what your FBH Kelly would go for in today's market? I suppose you have thought about it, too.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:30 PM
GaryPassamonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Leon, I wonder what your FBH Kelly would go for in today's market? I suppose you have thought about it, too.

My all-time favorite baseball card. This is not mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kellyfbh.jpg (15.6 KB, 197 views)

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 06-02-2021 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:38 PM

Hi Gary

I am Princeton grad referenced in my bio and my pic is of me with my then 18 year old son at a sports bar near Penn St (he went there)

Best

Ken Rhodes
Old 06-02-2021, 04:39 PM

I've missed out on a few Whitney with Dog cards on eBay this year. That card is always a fight.
Old 06-03-2021, 03:15 PM
Mac Wubben

Just starting to get my feet wet on the 19th century side. Fun & new area for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Anson%20front.jpg (63.0 KB, 99 views)
Old 06-03-2021, 03:18 PM
GaryPassamonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcmac View Post
Just starting to get my feet wet on the 19th century side. Fun & new area for me.
That's a pretty good opener!
Old 06-03-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
just starting to get my feet wet on the 19th century side. Fun & new area for me.
want
Old 06-03-2021, 03:54 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
I would say that's more like jumping into the deep end head first...