NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Default Garage Sales , Estate Sales

Has anyone had any luck? If so, list your finds.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:31 AM
David Pierson
Banned

Default One Super Find!

In 1985, in a junk shop outside Detroit (They sold washers dryers stoves furniture etc) I asked if the old woman had any sportscards. Barely speaking english, she scratched her head and went into a little office to return with 2 shoeboxes covered with 1/2" of dust and tied with string. I peeked into a corner and saw a 52 bowman mays. Closed the lid and asked her how much for the boxes. She asked how much you pay? I said 10 bucks each. She replied "no no no" I want 20 each......i feigned reluctance and paid 40 bucks. I was shaking all the way home. When I got to examine my treasure there were near complete sets of 52 bowman some 53 topps 54 topps and then a few years were missing and the second box had minty 58 59 60 and 61 topps. there were 28 58 mantle all star cards (triple printed) The best card was a 1961 mantle all star that eventually graded psa 10 (at that time the only 1) I couldn't sleep for days and had to get up several times everynight to see if it really happened. All those doubles I used as tradeto complete my many sets in progress at the time. It was fortuitous because within a year it seemed there was a sportscard store on every corner. dave.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Dan Bretta

three years ago I bought a bat at an estate auction for $50...sold it for $9,000. By far my biggest score.

This is the last really cool item I got that fits my collection..

I have found tons of items at estate and garage sales over the years, but I am dedicated..I've gone weekly for the last 15 years
Old 09-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Bob Hamlin

Dan,

What bat was it ?
Old 09-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

My first lot I picked up, i am new to collecting, was from an estate sale, all new to the hobby. It had 100 t205/t206s, all polar bear backs in 4-6 grades. It included a Speaker, Bresnahan, 2 Johnsons, Young, Mathewson and an O'Hara STL version all for common raw pricing. I am sure there are lots of great finds still to be had.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsbats View Post
Dan,

What bat was it ?
Tris Speaker gamer.

edited to add: here's my original post about the bat..I didn't know it was a gamer when I bought it, but found out as the thread unfolded.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ht=speaker+bat

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 09-10-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Rawn Hill

I threw out some 50's and 60's cards today in a lawnsale, just to see if anyone looked...............none did.

Rawn
Old 09-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Marvin J.

Default Love these threads!

I like these threads - the garage sale/estate sale/weekend finds Although I haven't been lucky enough to find anything at a garage sale or estate sale, I did pick these two up at an antique shop (I had just been walking around with my girlfriend as she wanted to shop for....geesh, I can't even remember what she was looking for - when these two cards were sitting there. They weren't slabbed, but raw when I found them. I asked how much - $6 each)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg antique store find.JPG (66.3 KB, 776 views)
Old 09-10-2011, 05:16 PM
J.O.N

Default Flea Market Find

I posted these last month or so. Paid 15 bucks for the whole box. Had a bunch of 71 baseball cards. Hockey cards from the same time frame too. The real cool cards were the football cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3271.jpg (71.7 KB, 760 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3272.jpg (74.4 KB, 760 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3273.jpg (75.9 KB, 757 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3274.jpg (72.6 KB, 755 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3275.jpg (77.4 KB, 758 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3276.jpg (73.6 KB, 758 views)

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:56 PM

Not an estate/garage sale find, but I purchased this baseball on eBay. The auction had no photo and a BIN of $80. The description mentioned a 1930s baseball signed by GL Alexander. Guess who it turned out to be?

Not a bad deal. In total it cost me $230.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Mikeknapp

I bought all of these boxes in a comic store for a grand total of 140.00 this past May. I sold all seven boxes for 600.00 each. I don't collect basketball so I reinvested the money into my baseball collection. I don't think I have ever had such good fortune or fun. Ther money is gone now and I doubt I ever will stumble upon a similiar find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1976-77_Topps_.jpg (79.4 KB, 699 views)
Old 09-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Steve Birmingham

A few small things from yard sales, nothing much really impressive. 33 goudey for a dollar, but with scrapbook paper stuck to the back. A few other batches of cards but nothing special.

Flea market though. When we were moving after HS we set up at a yard sale ish flea market in the town skating rink. I had some bikes I'd grabbed to fix, but didn't want to sell. At least until I saw the fenway seat a few booths over. I came back to ask my parents for the money, and there were a few people looking at bikes. I dropped the prices, sold them all in about 2 minutes and went and got the seat. $20! The womans husband had worked on a park renovation in the early 70's and saved a seat from the trash.

My other best find was through my brother. He played softball with a couple kids he sort of knew. Came home and said they'd cracked a really old bat and he told them to keep it because I might want it. Swapped a newish bat, Hank Aaron store model that was a bit big for me at the time for the cracked one and a couple others he threw in. A batrite, a D+M, and the cracked one made by Bon-Topper bat co in Hartford with a Fred Parent sig stamped on the barrel. I'm pretty sure it's a gamer.

Steve B
Old 09-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Be.n C0z1n

Last summer I sold some cards at my father in laws yard sale at the shore. Advertised the cards in both local newspapers and online. Only got 2-3 people that even wanted to give the cards a look. Sold some nice stuff to. 59 bazooka's that I had doubles of, some old British boxing cards, Early Bowman baseball etc. Sold for about 1/2 of what they would go for on ebay, just wanted to keep it fun and make a couple hundred bucks. ( 55 bowman mays in vg sold for $20 dollars. 1959 mantle with 2 creases for $40, you get the idea ) Actually had a guy complain that I didn't have more Pre- war stuff.... I was just shocked by the lack of interest. People lined up around the block for the fishing stuff, but the cards just weren't a hit.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:30 PM

Forgive this long post, but I'm a hard-core estate/garage sale junkie on Long Island in New York. It's a real passion of mine, and this is an amazing area for sales. Lots of old houses, old neighborhoods, old money, so many of the estates have remarkable stuff. I go most weekends and use the hobby (obsession) to supplement my income.

Anyway, I haven't had tons of luck with baseball-related stuff. A few old bats worth $50 to $100, some high-grade 1951 Bowman commons, some old programs here and there. Best was probably the Jackie Robinson cut signature I got for less than $200 that I flipped (didn't really want to but needed the money at the time) for $500.

I've had tons of other finds, though. Bought a large box of 1960s/70s ballet publicity photos for $80 and sold them over a couple months on ebay for nearly 15 grand. Found a signed, limited-edition book by stock market lion Jesse Livermore for $1.50 and sold it through Heritage for nearly $8,000. Once even bought a seashell collection for $100 and sold them on ebay over a few weeks for nearly 5 grand. Fun stuff.

One of my coolest finds was sports-related but wasn't at an estate sale. It was at an antique shop in upstate New York. I was looking at a box of what appeared to be old track and field ephemera, including an old photo album, when the owner yelled over, "That's the 'Chariots of Fire' guy. That's his stuff." Turns out it was a small collection of items once owned by Harold Abrahams, the guy who won the 100-meter race. The album had photos of him as a teenager in prep school and from his pre-Olympic track days. There were two leather bags with his initials "HMA" on them. There were Christmas cards, track and field programs, a mimeographed letter from the assistant to Prince Phillip and some other items. Really neat stuff. I had to beg my wife to let me buy it (I said, "Trust me, I think it's worth it.") and I talked the guy down to about $650 from $850. Anyway, when I went to do research on the photos and such, I discovered that there was a book about Abrahams coming out a few months later. (If anyone's interested, it's called "Running With Fire." Very good read.) I ended up contacting the author and he used the items in his research and thanked me in the book's credits!

I contacted Bonham's in London and they were very interested in the collection and met with me at their Manhattan office. They plan on featuring it in their 2012 pre-Olympic auction and gave me a rough estimate of 7,000-10,000 pounds, which translates to more than 15 grand. It was very fortuitous to find this collection a year before the London Games. I'm hoping some rich British bidders will have Olympic fever and fight over the collection. Regardless, not a bad investment. Also pretty nice when you can say to your wife, "See? I actually know what I'm doing sometimes." Anyway, should be fun next summer. I'll report back when they put the stuff online. And of course when the auction is over.

Cheers!
Rob

Last edited by cubsguy1969; 09-10-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:39 PM

I have been to a thousand yard sales, estate sales, auctions ect. and have never found anything worth a hoot but threads like this is why I keep going and trying.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Jason Stricker

Default No such luck

I've gone to a number of estate sales in Virginia, but never come across cards older than mid-70s Topps beaters being sold for NM Becket prices (and I've seen people buy them!).

I recently saw a bunch of graded T206 and T205 at an antique store that were priced as if they had just been taken out of the tobacco packs. Even beater commons non-graded were $100.

The only success I've had at estate sales was with camera lenses, where I picked up $4000 worth of lenses for $900.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:56 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timber63401 View Post
I have been to a thousand yard sales, estate sales, auctions ect. and have never found anything worth a hoot but threads like this is why I keep going and trying.
Yeah, my thoughts too. I did find a nice Castaway fishing rod last week, brand new. Paid $5 for it and it's probably an $80 rod.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Scott H.

Default Very good luck

I have had very good luck finding Milwaukee Braves items at rummage sales. I teach, so summers off allows me to hit many sales on Thursday mornings. I'm not sure how people handle rummages in other places, but around Milwaukee, the vast majority start on a Thursday.

Here are some of my best finds:

I picked up these 2 nodders for 50 bucks total, from the same sale, last summer.
nodders.jpg

This pennant was from a rummage in 2009. I have not seen another like it since
Braves pennant.jpg

Finally, this drum came from a sale 3 homes down from mine! Don't know much about it, and it looks like some kid got his money's worth beating the tar out of it, but I think it is a very cool piece and for 20 bucks, I had to have it.
drum.jpg
Old 09-10-2011, 09:39 PM
M!ke S@il£r

My biggest find was about 25 years ago. A huge box of vintage hockey for $5.00 including a Gretzky rookie. Unfortunately, hockey was pretty worthless at the time and I traded all of it for newer baseball. I basically contributed to somebody else's "find".

This summer, I came across a garage sale with some binders. One binder had mainly common 1968's. The others had mainly newer stuff. However, halfway into the newer stuff binder, there were some 1952's, and other 1950's stuff. I bought them blindly, and upon further inspection, there was a 1962 Mantle in one of the binders, a card even I missed the first time. Nothing like other finds, but it certainly made my weekend.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:32 PM
C0le Hibb@rd

I've never been to a garage sale, but this thread definitely makes me want to start

Successful BST deals with: Smanzari, Edwolf1963, Sean1125, scmavl, Runscott, jthorst75, EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
Old 09-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Mike

I went to yard sales today. I found a set of Jarts in the original box for $2. I think I overpaid by $1. I also think these things are now illegal to sell because of potential injury. This was a typical day in my yard sale career. I am excited to see the posts of the people who do find good stuff, but at the same time envious. I enjoy this thread...it gives me hope. Oops, I think I just put a Jart thru my wife's foot.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:49 AM

I had a coworker in the early late 80,s and early 90,s who had a hobby of collecting antique toys. She hit every garage sale she could find on Long Island and was a great negotiater. I gave her a price guide for baseball cards and betwen the cards she picked up plus other memorabilia I did very well for about 7 years. I once picked up 80 T-206s including 2 Cobbs,2 Youngs in excellent condition for $120.CN
Old 09-11-2011, 05:49 AM
Scott

Best deal for me was at a paper collectible show, so its not really in the category, but a non sports show. Woman had a box of newer yearbooks/programs, and nestled in there was an L1 Leather of Magee. I played ignorant and she went "I Have to get 25for it, its baseball and kinda old" . Um, wish I still had that one.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:51 AM

Default no such luck

every garage sales tells me the same...... but i love these stories...
Steve B ...WOW....and the rest...
Old 09-11-2011, 06:48 AM
Patrick N.

Default Leach

I picked up Hindu Leach T206 at a very small show for $6 in trade, didn't know it at the time, wasn't sure how tough Hindus were (had just joined this site a couple weeks earlier)...Unfortunately with eBay and the internet I think it is more and more difficult to make these finds as information is at the fingertips of most people...

Last edited by mintacular; 09-11-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

I love reading these! Only wish they would happen to me!
Old 09-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Dan Bretta

A month or so back I found a Nolan Ryan rookie at a tag sale (an estate sale with fixed prices). I posted a pic of it in the modern section.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...light=tag+sale
Old 09-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Bill Hedin

Default Mom and Sister scored today!

I was delighted to see this thread because my Mom and Sister just called me and are bringing me 2 shoe boxes full of early 1970's BB, FB and Basktball cards that they purchased at a Yard Sale after Church today.
Mom and Jane have been around cards basically for 40 years and both worked for me at my shows and shops so they know their cards! They say i'll be very, very happy with these! The price was $50 for everything. Everything is over 2000 cards and some misc. memorabilia.
I'll post some of the contents later!
It's awesome having my women ( Mom, Sister, Wife, Kids) hunting cards for me! They usually do well!

Regards,

Bill Hedin
Old 09-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Sounds good! Congrats
Old 09-11-2011, 12:09 PM

I used to go to the Sussex County N.J. flea market as a young teenager. In 1981, while scouring the various booths for possible 'Graig Nettles' Fleer error cards that someone unsuspecting soul might have for sale, this guy asked me if I was interested in baseball cards. Well, as luck would have it I was. He then proceeded to show me stacks of 1952 to perhaps 1970 Topps cards. He offered me the fabled 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle for $300 (at the time it may well have been 3 Million because there was no way my father was going to spend $300 on a baseball card). My collecting buddy and I did pick up a bunch of 1960s 'star' cards for maybe $20 total. When I resumed my interest in collecting a few years ago, a 1964 Yaz and 1965 Yaz I purchased from this guy came back PSA 8. Wish I had the 1952 Topps, though.

Charles
Old 09-11-2011, 04:45 PM
David Herrell

My best sports pickup was from an auction. The daughter of the former owner/president of the Detroit Red Wings auctioned off some of her mother's trophies including a super-cool game puck that had the name of the entire team inscribed in a silver band around the edge. I bought all three trophies and sold them through Classic Auctions in Canada in their last auction.

Other stuff I've picked up included a booklet of 1930's Boy Scout badges that were some type ("Wide Crimped") that were only made for a short time and sold those on eBay for $3k. Recently I picked up a White House index card signed by Teddy Roosevelt for $25 (sold for $750 on eBay). I also got a surveyor's GPS system for $50 that sold for $1300 on eBay.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Bruce Esser

Dan, great pickup on your Capital Beach picture. I was always under the impression that the baseball diamond was kindof makeshift as I have newspaper articles which state that chairs were moved from Antelope park to Capital Beach for Sunday games. Sunday games were still banned in Lincoln so they moved the chairs to the beach for Sunday games.

The spelling is also interesting. I have a couple of early postcards which call it Capitol Beach, but this is clearly using Capital instead of Capitol.

http://www.nebaseballhistory.com/
Old 09-11-2011, 09:06 PM

Many years ago, I ran an ad in a small neighborhood paper. An older gentleman called and said he had a wooden cheese box, nailed shut, that he thought contained baseball cards. I dropped everything and met him. He opened the box, literally clawing out the nails with a hammer, to reveal about 150 cards stacked side by side so you couldn't readily identify them. But one card was flat across the top. It was a '33 Goudey Ruth - in fair condition. The rest were 1940 Play Balls, all in excellent shape. Cost me $120. Was lucky enough to find another '33 Goudey Ruth at a sidewalk sale back in the 80's. It was fair, with some glue residue on the back, but who cares? It was still a Babe Ruth card. Set me back a whopping $5.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:42 AM

Not a find for me, but someone else... not...

A friend of mine tells me his mother in law is sellling a card collection she's had for years at a yard sale, I stop by, lots of beater mid to late 70's and later, about 500 cards.

"$200 for the lot since you are Kevin's friend, there are lots of rookies in here" she says.

I look through all the cards, best cards are mis cut Hostess cards and a bunch of 87 Topps beater Bonds rookies with dinged corners.

I decline respectfully.

Later I find out someone paid her $200 for the lot......

I can't give away my junk like that at yard sales.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:17 AM
Matt

Default what a deal...thanks Mom

My Mother, of all people, found a stack of old cards wrapped with a fragile rubber band at an old guy's estate sale a couple years ago. She 'took a chance' on the cards for $1. Upon showing me her purchase the next day, I was shocked and began drooling. Unfortunately they weren't baseball, but instead T80 Tolstoi Military series tobacco cards (there's an image of one in the upper right hand corner of Net54 advertising the non-sport forum).....there was 90 of them and they are beautiful!! They have the same gold boarders as T205's and luckily there were enough of them to complete the 50 card set which I have on PSA's set registry....the only one. Most of the cards graded were in the 5-7 range with a couple 8's. My Mother made a deal with me up front that any proceeds down the road would have to be split with her......and I'm ok with that, but for now I'm just enjoying the cards..........Matt
Old 09-12-2011, 07:15 AM
Sean Brennan

id like to take this opportunity to thank Steve for the awesome deal he gave me on the Beantown find. im sure Im not the only one
Old 09-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Todd C

found this at and Antique Mall

$3.00
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1888scrappslatham.jpg (21.1 KB, 360 views)
Old 09-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Todd C

Last edited by deadballera; 09-12-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachyonbb View Post
Dan, great pickup on your Capital Beach picture. I was always under the impression that the baseball diamond was kindof makeshift as I have newspaper articles which state that chairs were moved from Antelope park to Capital Beach for Sunday games. Sunday games were still banned in Lincoln so they moved the chairs to the beach for Sunday games.

The spelling is also interesting. I have a couple of early postcards which call it Capitol Beach, but this is clearly using Capital instead of Capitol.
Bruce, I'm not convinced that picture is at Capitol Beach..I think it may be Antelope Park, but they just used it on their advertising because the team would play Sunday ball out there.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadballera View Post
found this at and Antique Mall

$3.00

My antique malls are all picked out.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Randy Trierweiler

In 1976 I bought a complete set of 1952 Royal Premiums (to a Royal Star) from an antique shop in St. Charles, MO for $2. I sold it 2 weeks later to John Mehlin who ran the Kansas City card shows in the mid 1970s for $25. Its worth around $500 today.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:17 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

I guess I had a little find about a year ago. In an antique/flea market I found a Mickey Mantle Motel ashtray from Mantle's Holiday Inn in Joplin Missouri. The lady was asking $18 she accepted $15. Put it on ebay and it brought $150.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:50 PM

I made a cool find at an estate sale on Friday. Bought a large folder full of original Jack Dempsey photos (mostly wire photos) that date back to the 1920s. There's one of him with Babe Ruth. The guy running the sale knew they had some value so I had to pay $400. But there are about 80 photos, so I think I got a good deal at 5 bucks a photo. Probably be listing them on ebay in the coming weeks if there are any boxing collectors out there.

Rob
Old 09-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Curt

I got this about 10 years ago at a now defunct card shop in Seattle for $2! 1958 Bell Brand Pee Wee Reese.

At another shop, around the same time, I bought a complete 1961 Golden Press Booklet with cards in perfect shape for around $35.

Oddly enough one of my best "flip" deals was this: I bought a box of 3" USFL pins from the retail shop closeout in front of Pacific Trading Cards in Lynnwood, WA. I got the box for $5 and there were probably 75-100 pins, maybe 10 different, lots of duplicates. I proceeded to sell a ton of those on ebay for anywhere from $5 - $30 each! I must have sold $300-500 worth before the auctions started getting minimal to no bids. I still have a few dozen of them buried somewhere that remained after I stopped selling them off.