NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-07-2013, 08:13 PM
Bill Boyd

Default sandlot team help. 1948

Out of our families collection, was found this 1948 original press photo of an unuasual play between, what I believe to be, two Sandlot teams.
The press stamp was very faded but through a magnifying glass I could barely make out the year of 1948.
The team at bat is called Wenham's and the team in the field is called the Bartunek's, or at least that's what the back of the photo says.
In searching the internet, I found that a Frederick Wenham owned a trucking Company, and sponsored many ages of baseball teams, and all appeared to be called the Wenham Truckers. And that he also sponsor a minor league team.
The other team is a little more of a mystery. I found that there used to be a team called the Cleveland Bartunek's Clothes (sponsor name). I found two histories of two players who played on the Truckers, and it stated the team was a Class A division team, that's all I know exect they were out of the Cleveland area. Found nothing further on the Bartuneks
Looking at the photograph, under the name Bartuneks, it does not appear to be clothes???
I can find no league or standings involving either team. The stadium in the photograph appears to be a nice stadium and they may have been Class A teams.
Does anyone have any knowledge of these two teams or where else I may check.
I will post the wire photo, but I appologize for the crappy scan, as I was in a rush, I scanned the photo on Automatic and it came out sideways, and again rushing, I rotated it and saved but lost a little of the words on the back. I do not have the photo in front of me now to rescan.Attachment 94992

Attachment 94993
The runner was named Ruppe, the first baseman who made the play was named Ben Visal, and the top just stated unusual play.

Last edited by billyb; 01-17-2016 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Dan Brown

Found this from the National Amateur Baseball Federation website. In 1948, in the Major division(any age) New York City Equitable Life beat Cleveland Bartunek Clothes 4-2 in the World Series Tournament Championship.
Here's the link look under Major division:http://www.nabf.com/aboutus/history.htm

Last edited by deebro041; 04-07-2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: correction
Old 04-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Bill Boyd

Dan,
Thanks for the help, I did see that site, but NABF is a tournament where one team from each league competes for a National Tournament. I am trying to find the league that they were in and the other teams within that league.
Looking at their uniforms up close, I did not think that the wording under bartunek's was clothes, but after another good look, it is possible.
Thought it was a good heads up play by that first baseman, thought I would share the play also.

Last edited by billyb; 04-08-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:18 PM
pariah1107

Hello Bill,

Seems as though Bartunek Clothes, as well as Wenham Truckers, were part of the CBF (the Cleveland Baseball Federation) which in 1947 had over 800 teams! Wow! Founded in 1920, William T. Duggan served as president of the league from 1923 until 1960. This website gives a decent over-view of sandlot baseball history in Cleveland:

http://ech.case.edu/cgi/article.pl?id=SB1

Bartunek's Clothes must have been pretty good, as they "advanced" to play in the 1945, 1947 & 1948 National Amateur Baseball Federation tournament. Runner-up in 1947 & champs in 1948. In '45 George Uhle Jr., son of Indians pitcher George Uhle, pitched for Bartunek Clothes, he had a brief minor league career. Found a lot of info on Bartunek Clothes soccer also, good luck.

Last edited by pariah1107; 04-08-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey Bill,

For what it's worth, I'm pretty darn sure that the ballpark is Cleveland Municipal. League Park had been abandoned by late '46, and either way, they had different looking grandstands.

Graig
Old 04-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Bill Boyd

Thanks guys, That's what I was looking for. Over 800 teams, that is a lot.
I did find an article about a player who pitched for the Truckers, stated he pitched many games agains the Taramonte Black labels, must have been another team.
I was seeking as much information as I could get on this photo. It belongs to my cousin and probably will be going up for sale in the near future. I will let everyone know on the BST, in about a month or so. Its part of an inheritance collection.
Its a great photo, with a great play.

Last edited by billyb; 04-08-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Bill Boyd

Graig,
I believe you are right. According to Ty's article above, Cleveland Federation League used to have their annual fundraiser at Cleveland Municiple Park. Good eye.
Also stated Ruth and Speaker and others used to act as managers at the all star games played there.

Last edited by billyb; 04-08-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Bill Boyd

[QUOTE=pariah1107;1114487]Hello Bill,

Seems as though Bartunek Clothes, as well as Wenham Truckers, were part of the CBF (the Cleveland Baseball Federation) which in 1947 had over 800 teams! Wow! Founded in 1920, William T. Duggan served as president of the league from 1923 until 1960. This website gives a decent over-view of sandlot baseball history in Cleveland:

http://ech.case.edu/cgi/article.pl?id=SB1

Bartunek's Clothes must have been pretty good, as they "advanced" to play in the 1945, 1947 & 1948 National Amateur Baseball Federation tournament. Runner-up in 1947 & champs in 1948. In '45 George Uhle Jr., son of Indians pitcher George Uhle, pitched for Bartunek Clothes, he had a brief minor league career. Found a lot of info on Bartunek Clothes soccer also, good luck.[/QUOTE

TY,
That was a good read, thank you.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:17 AM
pariah1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
Graig,
I believe you are right. According to Ty's article above, Cleveland Federation League used to have their annual fundraiser at Cleveland Municiple Park. Good eye.
Also stated Ruth and Speaker and others used to act as managers at the all star games played there.
You're welcome Bill. Great photo! I love sandlot/semi-pro baseball!

Just to clarify, that was not an article I wrote. For proper credit: The article was written by James Toman (2001) for the Encyclopedia of Cleveland History.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:17 AM
pariah1107

delete. repeat.

Last edited by pariah1107; 04-09-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:12 AM
Bill Boyd

To all,
At the beginning of this thread, a couple of years ago, I posted a 1948 photo of a sandlot game between the Winham Truckers and the Bartunek Clothes. The picture was a rare play at the plate. I have since deleted this photo from my archives and also from my computer. The photo belonged to a relative and has since been sold.
Yesterday, I received an email from a member, who asked for a copy of this photo. It seems one of the players involved in the photo, is still alive and related to this member requesting a copy of the photo. Or if anyone may have purchased this photo in the Ruth 100 year anniversary auction in 2014, the photo would have been in one of the lots. Please reply.

Bill

Leon,
Even though I deleted this photo from my archives, is there any way of recovering it from your end?

Bill

Last edited by billyb; 07-09-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:07 PM

This it?

Found here

Last edited by Dewey; 07-09-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:04 PM
Bill Boyd

Dewey,
That is it. Do you have the original, or is this a copy also.

Bill
Old 07-09-2016, 03:27 PM

Sorry, no original. Just found this online. Maybe it can be copied or at least spark someone's memory.

Last edited by Dewey; 07-09-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:00 PM

Default Wenham truckers

That is the picture and that is my Uncle who is the runner I would love to buy that picture if I could. My Uncle would love to have it.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:31 PM
Bill Boyd

Tom,
Dewey found the image online, probably an old post of mine, but maybe you can search and locate it also and see if this photo went up for sale the past two year.
As I mentioned, sent that copy to Goldin and maybe they still have the photos in their archives and can contact the purchaser to see if he still owns that photo.
If I had that photo, I would sell it to you in a heartbeat.
At least you can copy the image and the back. I do believe there was further writing on the back, as I believe the name of "Al" was used, and possibly his last name as well.
Try posting at other sport sites as well, maybe you can reach the owner that way. The auction was July 12, 2014, Ruth 100 year anniversary. I already sent you what lot numbers it may have been in during the auction.

Good luck

Bill

Bill
Old 07-09-2016, 05:46 PM

Good luck, Tom! Very cool that that is your uncle.

The link under my first post will take you to slightly higher quality pics. FYI. At least according to my aging eyes.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:50 PM
Bill Boyd

Tom,
The post Dewey found that photo was an ebay forum and it was me who made that post. I had forgotten I posted that photo on ebay. I am glad it still existed so you can at least get a copy.

Bill
Old 07-10-2016, 07:33 AM
Bill Boyd

Dewey,
I got a PM from Tom, and he stated that his Uncle's daughter, his cousin, who has known of the photo and has been searching for it for years. It may be the only known photo taken of him playing ball.
I informed him that the photographer worked for the Cleveland Press and the red editor markings on the back means the photo was probably used in one the paper's publications. At the Western Reserve Historical Society, in Cleveland, they only have to search through 1948, and should be able to easily find the newspaper article to go along with the photo.
Thanks were sent along in Tom's PM to me, but much goes to you as well. I know they appreciated your effort.

Bill
Old 07-10-2016, 10:13 AM

My pleasure. Please post if they track it down.