NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-22-2013, 01:04 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornell View Post
Anyone who loves graded cards as much as this guy can't be all bad.

Surprised they are not in a PSA holder
Old 10-22-2013, 01:35 AM
Aa.ron Pa.tton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
No joke, Bill. That is the look of pure euphoria! That's the little kid inside coming out!

Dan, you obviously know what you're doing. Though I've only seen the tip of the ice berg as far as your collection is concerned, why not put it all on Ebay, especially if you have a lot of rare pieces? If the pieces don't sell, everybody gets to see them. If somebody is willing to meet your asking price, then you've made a nice profit, and enjoyed the piece as part of your collection prior to the sale. You get money to roll over into other rare items, and another collector has acquired an incredible piece to showcase in their own collection. Sounds like a win for both parties involved.

And if you were buying to resell for a higher prices, why would anybody take issue with that? I wouldn't. If I saw a piece that I felt were strongly undervalued, I wouldn't have any issue with purchasing, and selling it at market value. The seller got their asking price, and any research I have done, or knowledge I have acquired in identifying a piece that is undervalued will ultimately benefit me.

Good luck in your business endeavors, and I hope to see more of your collection in the future.

Bill

Bill G. You missed the joke. Bill C. was busting Dan's chops.

You'd know that if you observed Board dynamics a little more, and posted a little less.

This is going to come off mean-spirited (so, I apologize in advance), but your need to post a soliloquy in every single thread, IMHO, is diluting the quality of the Board.

I love our monthly pick-up thread, but its been damn near unreadable of late because your desire to wax poetically about every single card contained within suffocates the hell out of it. I get it, you love ballcards -- I do too. We all do.

Have some awareness about yourself. Rather than blankly asking what a Strip card is -- use the 'search' function to locate some incredibly detailed threads that speak to them and their origin. Attempt to educate yourself first, and then ask others to fill in the blanks for you. The way your posts read -- it's as if 54 is your personal muse. It's over the top, Man.

You seem like a decent guy, & I'm glad you're passionate about our hobby -- but pumping the breaks (re: Board contributions) doesn't mean you are any less enthusiastic about it.

I mean, 16 White Borders shouldn't equate to 1k posts/year right?

All. Apologies for hijacking the thread, and to those I am inevitably going to offend.

Bill G. All the best in your attempt to 'tame the Monster'.

I concur... Dan, you look great with your Alphas.

Carry on.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:37 AM
Bill Gregory

Point taken.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:55 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Business model

I should try Dan's business model. When I buy something for $400 I usually end up selling it for $250.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:38 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
I should try Dan's business model. When I buy something for $400 I usually end up selling it for $250.

Rick
I should follow you on eBay....
Old 10-22-2013, 07:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbvLajoie1910 View Post
Bill G. You missed the joke. Bill C. was busting Dan's chops.

You'd know that if you observed Board dynamics a little more, and posted a little less.

This is going to come off mean-spirited (so, I apologize in advance), but your need to post a soliloquy in every single thread, IMHO, is diluting the quality of the Board.

I love our monthly pick-up thread, but its been damn near unreadable of late because your desire to wax poetically about every single card contained within suffocates the hell out of it. I get it, you love ballcards -- I do too. We all do.

Have some awareness about yourself. Rather than blankly asking what a Strip card is -- use the 'search' function to locate some incredibly detailed threads that speak to them and their origin. Attempt to educate yourself first, and then ask others to fill in the blanks for you. The way your posts read -- it's as if 54 is your personal muse. It's over the top, Man.

You seem like a decent guy, & I'm glad you're passionate about our hobby -- but pumping the breaks (re: Board contributions) doesn't mean you are any less enthusiastic about it.

I mean, 16 White Borders shouldn't equate to 1k posts/year right?

All. Apologies for hijacking the thread, and to those I am inevitably going to offend.

Bill G. All the best in your attempt to 'tame the Monster'.

I concur... Dan, you look great with your Alphas.

Carry on.
Too bad it's been unreadable for you but if we only read what you posted there wouldn't be a board. Bill is one of my favorite posters and I hope he continues just as he is.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:01 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Bill is one of my favorite posters and I hope he continues just as he is.
+1

I really enjoy your enthusiastic posts Bill.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:41 AM
Banned

Your post was appreciated, Aaron.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Your post was appreciated, Aaron.
Yours isn't ....F-Off.....
Old 10-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
+1

Agreed. Glad you are on the board and posting Bill. Wish you were more active on the post-war side though

Last edited by Bestdj777; 10-22-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
So is that a new rule, too? Don't disagree with the moderator?

You seemingly found Aaron's post inappropriate; I didn't.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Peter Spaeth

I thought Aaron made his point well and respectfully. It doesn't seem Bill was offended. If that means I have to f-off too, so be it I guess.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Eric Shaeffer

FWIW, I really enjoy f'ing-off, its one of my specialties.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:07 AM

I see nothing wrong with the frequency and content of Bill's posts.

I'd rather have a board full of collectors with 1000 posts showing interest, enthusiasm, and passion for the hobby, compared to a forum where everyone feels they have to temper their commentary so they only have 100 posts in the past 4 years.

It's called a discussion board for a reason. Yes, you can have members that go over the top, as a certain member from Canada here did recently, but I don't see such an issue with the type of posts Bill contributes.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Rich Klein

Default And of course

Peter Chao, who was also very enthusiastic. Hey, we need more lively blood and I hope Bill is able to come to the next Dallas Card Show (he does live around here IIRC)

Rich
Old 10-22-2013, 01:05 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
LOL, Leon, Rob hasn't defrauded anyone on Net 54...let's leave the anger for the the guys who rob us!
Old 10-22-2013, 11:25 PM
Bill Gregory

It's never been my intention to negatively impact anybody's enjoyment of the forum with my posting. I've made a conscientious effort to post less, but I realize, too, that I'm never going to be able to please everybody. I try to respond to multiple people within one post, or where warranted, I just message people directly. But I honestly don't see a problem with my posting. On average, I post 5 times a day, and sometimes, I may have a stretch where I'm posting a few times more than that. I honor the forum rules, and I treat the people I interact with respectfully. So, am I going to post less? No.

As for the pick up threads, I feel that it's nice to acknowledge somebody's post when they add a new card (or cards) to their collection. What can I say, I'm happy for them. Most of these cards that are being shared represent the first time I've seen them. Or, they're cards I want to add to my own collection in the not too distant future, and so I can identify with their excitement. I'll ease up on the complimenting everybody in the pickup thread, but at the same time, remember that nobody's forcing you to read what I say. If you see my name, and you don't like my posting, you can just scroll right by. Or, you can ignore me altogether, too. The vbulletin software offers you that option.

Believe it or not, I do a lot more reading than I do posting. I go back to the old forum and read. Or, I pull up topics here from a year or two ago, and read those. I buy books having to do with the hobby, and read the books people send me. Most of the time, I can find the answers to my questions without posting. But every once in a while, I'm going to ask a simple question. I don't need to be told "well, you can look up what a strip card is". No kidding? Sometimes I just want to interact with a person instead of wading through walls of text, and if I get an answer along with a few examples, where's the harm in that? Maybe that takes an existing discussion in a different direction. I try to enjoy myself, and help other people on the forum to have fun.

And lastly, I'm going to miss an inside joke that predates my membership here from time to time. So please don't tell me to observe more, and talk less. I'm not an idiot. There have been nearly 900,000 posts on this forum, and countless more on the old forum. I could read for a month solid, and still not be privy to what happened.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 10-22-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:46 PM
Bryan M1ll3r

Quote:
It's never been my intention to negatively impact anybody's enjoyment of the forum with my posting. I've made a conscientious effort to post less, but I realize, too, that I'm never going to be able to please everybody. I try to respond to multiple people within one post, or where warranted, I just message people directly. But I honestly don't see a problem with my posting. On average, I post 5 times a day, and sometimes, I may have a stretch where I'm posting a few times more than that. I honor the forum rules, and I treat the people I interact with respect. So, am I going to post less? No.

As for the pick up threads, I feel that it's nice to acknowledge somebody's post when they add a new card (or cards) to their collection. What can I say, I'm happy for them. Most of these cards that are being shared represent the first time I've seen them. Or, they're cards I want to add to my own collection in the not too distant future, and so I can identify with their excitement. I'll ease up on the complimenting everybody in the pickup thread, but at the same time, remember that nobody's forcing you to read what I say. If you see my name, and you don't like my posting, you can just scroll right by. Or, you can ignore me altogether, too. The vbulletin software offers you that option.

Believe it or not, I do a lot more reading than I do posting. I go back to the old forum and read. Or, I pull up topics here from a year or two ago, and read those. I buy books having to do with the hobby, and read the books people send me. Most of the time, I can find the answers to my questions without posting. But every once in a while, I'm going to ask a simple question. I don't need to be told "well, you can look up what a strip card is". No kidding? Sometimes I just want to interact with a person instead of wading through walls of text, and if I get an answer along with a few examples, where's the harm in that? Maybe that takes an existing discussion in a different direction. I try to enjoy myself, and help other people on the forum to have fun.

And lastly, I'm going to miss an inside joke that predates my membership here from time to time. So please don't tell me to observe more, and talk less. I'm not an idiot. There have been nearly 900,000 posts on this forum, and countless more on the old forum. I could read for a month solid, and still not be privy to what happened.
A well thought out counter Bill. Sometimes your passionate comments about a specific card/post make me go back and look at something that I glossed over on the first pass. Keep up the good work.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:19 AM
David McDonald

Bill: Don't let the bastards get you down. Just keep on doing what you're doing. You're not quarrelsome, you haven't cheated anyone, you haven't insulted anybody's mother, you don't bet on chicken fights. You're a polite guy. You ask good questions and have started many interesting threads. That's more than I can say about a lot of folks here. Your enthusiasm for the hobby is refreshing (although be forewarned that you may someday become jaded with all the scumbaggery and general two-bit horsesh*t).

Don't like Bill's posts? Simple. Don't read 'em. Better yet, put Bill on your "ignore list" (it's right there in the User CP to the left). I'm sure Bill won't mind.

Last edited by Kawika; 10-23-2013 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 10-23-2013, 07:15 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Too bad it's been unreadable for you but if we only read what you posted there wouldn't be a board. Bill is one of my favorite posters and I hope he continues just as he is.
+1. I too enjoy Bill's posts. We need more articulate, passionate collectors not fewer.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-23-2013, 07:37 AM
Scott

Default Gumby

things will change soon when you get back to working?

I know you are healing ..when do you think you will get back trading stocks?

you are the best "Wax Poetic(er)" on the board!
Old 10-23-2013, 09:05 AM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

I think Leon & Dan must have switched accounts (ala Freaky Friday).

Bill, you have started some of the most interesting threads recently. Keep up the good work.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
+1. I too enjoy Bill's posts. We need more articulate, passionate collectors not fewer.
Also, some people are fast typists (or clear thinkers) - my guess is that Bill probably can think out and type 2-3 times as much information as most of the posters on this board.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:55 AM
T!M R10rd@n

PUBLIC SERVICE ANOUNCMENT

If you find that a user's posts detract from your experience here, you can avail youself of benefits of the "Ignore List."

1. Select "User CP" found on the left side in the blue menu bar towards the top of every page

2. In the User CP, select "Edit Ignore List" found on the left side under "Settings and Options"

3. Add the desired, or rather undesired member, I suppose, to the Ignore list and click on "Okay"

4. Continue to enjoy the forum without ever seeing another one of their posts again!
Old 10-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Daryl

I can't see why anyone would ever want to completely ignore all posts from a board member. I've definitely cringed at some of the posts from infamous former members, but never to the point of wanting to completely remove them from existence.

Keeping to the original topic, Dan's cool.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
++1 Keep em coming Bill!

Ricky Y
Old 10-23-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
That is Dans nicest and sweetest post ever!

+1

As several people have mentioned above, someone must've hacked into Dan's Net54 account and is posting for him. (Hi Dan).

Last edited by MVSNYC; 10-23-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigecollectibles View Post
His Ebay listing states, Delivery: Estimated on or before Thu. Oct. 24 to 33351

So unless he is picking up the items from REA tomorrow how could I expect delivery (by First Class Mail) by the stated time if I did a BIN today?
Hi Robert, when you buy from me you can expect delivery when I state it. Please see my feedback.

I just sold an item today from the REA auction and guess what......

It ships tomorrow promptly!!!

Who's your daddy????????????????????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ebay 073.jpg (75.0 KB, 211 views)
Old 10-23-2013, 06:07 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Folks, don't question Dan (hey buddy), his integrity has never been an issue. If says he will deliver, HE WILL, plain and simple!!
Old 10-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
PUBLIC SERVICE ANOUNCMENT

If you find that a user's posts detract from your experience here, you can avail youself of benefits of the "Ignore List."

1. Select "User CP" found on the left side in the blue menu bar towards the top of every page

2. In the User CP, select "Edit Ignore List" found on the left side under "Settings and Options"

3. Add the desired, or rather undesired member, I suppose, to the Ignore list and click on "Okay"

4. Continue to enjoy the forum without ever seeing another one of their posts again!
nice! i will be using that. thank you.

kevin
Old 10-23-2013, 07:24 PM
Robert Williams

What item did you sell today Dan?? Would love to see your profit margins!
Old 10-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Dave Fa*st

Looks like he sold the E125.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:16 PM
Eric Perry

Bill,

You have been a class guy to me. As told to you privately, I believe you are an asset to this board. Keep doing what you do...and let the negativity roll off your back like water off a duck's tail feathers.

Best Regards,

Eric

Quote:
It's never been my intention to negatively impact anybody's enjoyment of the forum with my posting. I've made a conscientious effort to post less, but I realize, too, that I'm never going to be able to please everybody. I try to respond to multiple people within one post, or where warranted, I just message people directly. But I honestly don't see a problem with my posting. On average, I post 5 times a day, and sometimes, I may have a stretch where I'm posting a few times more than that. I honor the forum rules, and I treat the people I interact with respectfully. So, am I going to post less? No.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 10-23-2013, 08:56 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
+1

+1 Bill is a nice guy and I enjoy his posts....

I always laugh a bit when a member gives "board advice" when the person giving the advice is generally someone I don't recall or remember.

Bill have fun post away!

Cheers,

John