NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-24-2013, 03:10 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Default Solutions

feel free to add you own.

1st Problem: dishonest people + ebay (and or most commonly used auction house format) = dishonest activities taking advantage of an easily manipulated format.

Answer: there will always be dishonest people, an inalterable factor, so the solution is to change the format.
Bids should be silent/hidden, no current bid level shown throughout the period of auction, and at the end the high bid displayed and winner notified. That way, a shill can't run up the number because they don't know what it is, and every buyer will bid what they truly feel they can afford and that the item is worth. You can still make multiple bids as an individual, but no-one bar yourself and the auction house/ ebay will know. If you don't honor your winning bid, both companies should/would have to bar you from bidding in their auctions. A verified credit card (or paypal acct) must be registered to participate, and any bids lasting into the last 24 hours would be considered final and irrevocable, so if remaining the high bidder your acct would be debited for the winning bid/item.
Could shills still participate, encouraged by the seller, to cover his investment or attempt to push up the price? Sure.....sort of. But they would have far less efficacy, and really only work in the way a reserve currently does in the present system. For shilling to have it's ultimate result, the potential honest bidders need to see the price being pushed, ever so slightly out of their original intention and reach, and in a moment of rush/panic/need, they continue to bid past their preferred pricing. The silent/hidden auction system would kill this.

2nd Problem: "the greater issue is, how do we stop AH's from jacking up their scans?"

Answer: Every year a poll is held on a respected web site as to which is the best scanner/most popular with collectors.....
For the following year, all major auction houses agree to use the nominated highest vote getting scanner, set on default settings, for all scans used for auctions. Ebay sellers, especially high consignment sellers, would be highly likely to follow and use the same scanner to extoll their virtuous intentions , or at least feel compelled to list what scanner has been used and whether any color/contrast/clarity adjustments have been used that would not reflect the image of the card if held in hand.

I haven't suggested my solutions with any belief that they would be taken up, but simply as a way to have a go at the problems.

Daniel

Last edited by 68Hawk; 10-24-2013 at 03:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-25-2013, 01:02 AM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Well written and really well thought out solution.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:51 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I definitely like the reasoning and logic behind your suggestions, but I think the problem with your first scenario is human nature. If you're talking about very scare or pricey cards, then it's more viable, but with more 'regular' cards that are relatively low priced, it would really screw things up in regards to the hammer price.

For instance, say there's a well centered 1969 Topps Ernie Banks in nice shape on ebay. People like me (who may not need it to complete a set or anything) who happen to run across the auction would perhaps only bid on it if the current bid is low. The thinking there is, "Wow, that's pretty cheap and it's really tough to find one centered like that. Maybe I can get it for a song." So the result would be me throwing in a bid and raising the price of said card, even if just slightly. Having a few people like that cross the auction's path would continue to raise the card's price. I don't think there's a stronger motivator in 'regular' card auctions than a low price.

Now say the auction format was the type you suggested where no current bid is shown. There is nothing to hook casual bidders like me in, because my motivation was almost entirely dependent on seeing a low price and that's not the case here (I have no facts to back it up, but I imagine the majority of people looking at ebay auctions fall into this category). So I would simply pass the auction by. The end result would be fewer bidders and most likely a lower hammer price.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.