NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-07-2015, 09:28 PM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Location: Denmark (don't worry, I have a USA mailing address!)
Default Harry Hooper autographs

Dear all,

I am home visiting family in Idaho, and have had some fun going through my old baseball card etc. collection from my childhood (deciding what few things to keep and what to give to my nephew who is interested). Among the "keepers", I was very happy to find these old Harry Hooper post card and ball autographs, given to me by one of my Dad's friends about 25 years ago (unfortunately, neither of us could remember which friend). They didn't mean much to me at the time, as I was way more interested in collecting stuff from the stars of the day, but now that I am into pre-war I am really happy to have "found" them again!

I am not an autograph guy, so I would be interested to hear any opinions on their authenticity (I presume they are authentic, given that they are personalized to "Doug Baldwin" but would still be very curious to hear from the experts here).

Also, I am curious if anybody can tell me anything regarding the date / background of the blue and red threaded ball. The autograph is dated June 16, 1952, so if authentic it would obviously pre-date that, but I have no idea by how far (not a ball guy either, I primarily just collect cards). On the back side of the ball it reads "Official American League Ball, PAT'D AUG -81-09" and "Warrantee, The Cork Center, 3 IN. 5 OZ." (see pic) if that is any help.

Any info would be truly appreciated. Thanks,

David
T206 back run: 21/38

Last edited by BicycleSpokes; 07-07-2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:21 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

There are several on the board who can help date the ball. It is pre 1930 for sure.

As to the autograph, if it is the only autograph on the ball it has considerable value. The personalization hurts it a bit, but it is nice and strong on a vintage ball that is in nice shape. You will be getting serious interest in that bad boy.

Congratulations on the "re-find".

Tom C
Old 07-08-2015, 08:07 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

Agree with Tom. That's a beauty!!
Old 07-08-2015, 08:09 AM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Default Harry Hooper autographs

Tom C, bender07, and several others who have chimed in with PMs - Thank you so much for your help on figuring many things out. With your help, Here is what I have found so far:

1. The signatures are seemingly authentic (Hooper is the only one on the ball)

2. The ball I believe dates to between 1913-1917 (O in Official more centered above the i, rather than the c), which is really cool since it dates to his playing days, even though it was not signed until 1952:

http://keymancollectibles.com/balls/...seball1917.htm

3. It is personalized to Doug Baldwin, who it turns out was an old baseball writer. There is a reference to a newspaper article apparently involving Hooper from 1937 by him at:

http://takemeouttocapitola.weebly.com/learn-more.html

Baldwin, Doug "Doug-Outs with Doug Baldwin", Santa Cruz Sentinel, Feb. 5 1937

So their relationship dates back at least that far. The post card, which could not have been signed prior to his HOF induction in 1971 i.e. long after the ball in 1952, is personalized "to my old friend Doug Baldwin", which seems consistent with all this.

Really cool, and seemingly much more unique than I had ever thought!

I am not looking to sell right now, but thanks to those of you who have expressed interest. I will keep you in mind if I ever change my mind. For now I am simply thrilled to learn more about this item and to add it into my pre war collection.

Any tips on how to find a copy of the newspaper article? I would be very interested in tracking that down now...

Cheers,
David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by BicycleSpokes; 07-08-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:57 PM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Just a quick follow up - if anyone is interested I was able to obtain the article, and posted a transcription on the main forum a few days ago.

Thanks again for all your help, David