NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 05-27-2021, 02:35 PM
Todd Schultz

Default Idiocy in Pittsburgh

The story talks about the dumbest play of the season. I nominate it for the dumbest play in MLB history, although I haven't thought about it for more than a few minutes. PLUS THERE WERE TWO OUTS!!!!

https://sports.yahoo.com/javy-baez-f...174849767.html
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 05-27-2021 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-27-2021, 03:51 PM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

Hilarious! I can't stop watching this video.
Will this play be known as "Craig's Boner" from now on?
Has a catcher ever had runners bearing down on him at the plate from both first and third base at the same time before?
The Pirates were lucky to hold Baez at second base. That throw at second got away and could have ended up in the outfield.
And then the next batter Ian Happ singled in Baez. You can not make this stuff up! A play like this is one big reason why baseball is so great.

Last edited by BengoughingForAwhile; 05-27-2021 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-27-2021, 04:37 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Funny thing is, if Baez had been thrown out at 1B, then under rule 5.08(a), the run would have been erased.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 05-27-2021, 05:06 PM
Todd Schultz

Exactly.
1). Turn and walk the ball to 1b. Inning over. OR
2 Charge the runner and tag him. There is no rundown play, as the batter has no safe base where he can return. Dumb because you have to tag before runner scores, but still should be OK as you have the whole play in front of you and can sprint at the batter. If he somehow evades you AND stays in the baseline, turn and soft toss to 1b. Inning over. OR
3) Have catcher make accurate throw to 1B and have infielder already there to accept throw. Inning over, no run scores despite the preceding foolishness.
BUT NO.
Team Buffoonery. At the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
Funny thing is, if Baez had been thrown out at 1B, then under rule 5.08(a), the run would have been erased.

Steve
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:21 PM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

The only possible explanation is that the Pirates first baseman Will Craig had no idea that there were 2 outs. Why run Baez all the way back to home and just when Baez has run out of room throw the ball to the catcher to try and tag a sliding Contreras?
Old 05-27-2021, 05:53 PM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

And what was the Pirates second baseman doing during this whole play? Just wandering around the infield? "Oops! I better hightail it over to first base now!"
Old 05-27-2021, 06:29 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengoughingForAwhile View Post
And what was the Pirates second baseman doing during this whole play? Just wandering around the infield? "Oops! I better hightail it over to first base now!"
He was probably in a daze wondering what the hell the 1st Baseman was doing.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:13 AM

I don't understand why Baez wasn't called out. He's clearly out of the baseline when the throw goes home. He's standing in front of the plate. You can only run to first between the foul line and the edge of the grass. As soon as he stepped over the foul line he should have been called out.

Look where he's standing.

Last edited by packs; 05-28-2021 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:39 AM
J Stone

If that were true, then wouldn't any player who hits a home run and takes a wide turn to first base via the grass be called out?

Been a long time but I believe "out of the baseline" applies when evading a tag ;TLDR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't understand why Baez wasn't called out. He's clearly out of the baseline when the throw goes home. He's standing in front of the plate. You can only run to first between the foul line and the edge of the grass. As soon as he stepped over the foul line he should have been called out.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:41 AM

He was caught in a run down at the time. Doesn't that meet your definition of evading a tag?
Old 05-28-2021, 10:09 AM
Todd Schultz

He's not out of the baseline. He runs practically right on the line for nearly the entire play. He is well within three feet of the line at any time, and in the moment captured by your screeenshot he is actually moving to avoid being hit by a throw--hardly interference of any kind.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:11 AM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post

Baez was no longer in a rundown when Craig threw the ball to the catcher to make the tag on Contreras. And as the "Associate Plate Umpire" he was getting in a better position to make his safe call!
And once the play at the plate ended, Baez got back on the line for his next rundown between the catcher and the late arriving second baseman.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:21 AM
Jeff H

This play was definitely a head scratcher! It sure was fun to watch though.