NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-20-2003, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Default Even old dogs get fooled from time to time

Posted By: TBob

I bought an absolutely gorgeous Sporting Life card (M116) from Kit Young. There was a scan of the front and it looked like a PSA8 or 9 material. Fantastic. No back scan but the ad said "back is fine." I BINed it. Got it today. Small back damage. ARRRRGGGGHHHHHH! Sent an email, no response. Surprise, surprise. I know I always include a back scan with my cards I am selling. It's a pain in the patootie but it prevents any problems. If there is a problem with the back, I DEFINITELY include it. The dilemma is do I keep a beautiful M116 with a little back damage that I got at a nice price or ship it back with the hassle. I hate these frigging dilemmas.
Any way, thanks for letting me rant. I guess I am going to have to start asking the seller every time the annoying "does the back have any problems?" question. Even we old dogs who thought we had seen it all, get fooled from time to time...

Old 02-20-2003, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I called KitYoung cards once to ask about a 'vg' t206 Cobb advertised in their catalog. The person who answered pulled the card and seemed annoyed when I continued to ask detailed questions - I was patronized a bit and told that the card was a solid 'vg'. Well, I bought the card, and it quite obviously WAS NOT 'vg'. SGC verified this for me . Now I always subtract a grade from whatever their catalog says.

It's funny how most of us are very clear about what the various grades mean, but we also know that when dealing with some of the older dealers we have to subtract a grade. It's really a shame that they can't use the same grading scale that we use, but it's probably more profitable for them to tack on a grade and get that incorrect grade's associated price, knowing that very few people will return a card advertised as 'exmt' that turns out to be 'ex', especially when it's part of a big lot, than to simply advertise the card with the correct grade in the first place.

I buy from auction houses all the time, but I have very seldom received a multi-item lot of cards or publications whose grade was accurate. This doesn't mean I haven't been happy with my purchases - I've almost always been - it just means that I down-grade before bidding, knowing how they grade.

Old 02-20-2003, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I've had a similar dilemma. I recently ordered two autographed cards from a listing in their catalogue. I usually file their stuff with the other junk mail, but I was headed towards the "office" when the mail came in, so I took the catalogue with me (what better place to read a piece of $*%>?). I saw two items I'd long wanted (1953 Bowman Al Rosen autographed; Buddy Myer autographed Diamond Stars card). I called, reserved and purchased. The Myer card is autographed in pencil. Nothing in the listing mentioned it, nor did the person on the phone, and I stupidly did not think to ask if the autographs were ink. So, do I send back an autograph that I have wanted to get for a long time (Myer is dead and then some, and is very tough to find, especially on a card) and that was at a very nice price, or do I keep it and grit my teeth like you are doing right now?

Ol' Buddy looks nice in his new screw-down and I'm one position closer to my All-Jewish-All-Time Team autographs collection.

Beware any dealer named after a cowboy. . .

Old 02-20-2003, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

I sniped for cheap thank you very much...and the card you mention! How could you not know it was not worth his grading when it was buried in a bunch of listed graded ones by him??? Come on Gramps,you know better than that.Hey,did you win MO's last 'ex-mt" Obak last night? I ended up with 17 of them!!!

Old 02-20-2003, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

BUT--he will always let you return stuff you aren't satisfied with.

Old 02-20-2003, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I believe they over-grade knowing that buyers won't usually fool with returning things.

Old 02-21-2003, 08:20 PM
Administrator

The hassle of returning a $39 NM Bailey M116 with a speck of unexpected back damage isn't worth it. I'll keep it and have learned a lesson.

Old 02-21-2003, 08:23 PM
Administrator

The way you have been followoing me around ebay and bidding on things I bid on (Obaks, M116s, etc.) I am going to have to start bidding on stuff like Ginzu Knives and Popelco (sp?) Pocket Fishermen just to see if you stay consistent!

Old 02-22-2003, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B C Daniels

and Kali Escrima sticks! Did you receive the red back obak yet? want to know if it has glue or rips from album removal as mine did???