NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-28-2007, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Default Turkish Trophies "Shipping" Box for T3's?

Posted By: Jon Canfield

I'm hoping someone from the forum can refresh my memory. A few years back (maybe 2005ish), the box pictured below was auctioned off by a major auction house (maybe Mastro or REA). My notes state that this was a shipping box for the T3's. Can anyone confirm this is the case or does anyone know which auction it was in? Thanks!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Old 11-28-2007, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

Was always under the impression that the T3/T9's
were shipped in thin manila envelopes. I've seen
these envelopes on occasion. Never heard of a box
being used to ship them.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Jay - I agree but unfortunately, the few notes I took on the piece when it came to auction was "T3 shipping box". Jerry Spillman and I were discussing it and it doesn't seem right so i was hoping someone would remember the auction or still have a link, etc.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

Jon If anyone should know the real deal it is Craig Diamond.
Will await his response...jay

Old 11-28-2007, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Peich

Hi Jon,

The Turkey Red box scan that you posted is the same box sitting on a shelf in my study. I bought it from a Lew Lipset auction in, I think, 2005. It came with two T3s. Like you, at first I thought it may have been used to send cards, but then I discovered that the cards were mailed in envelopes--given the number of Ex/Mt copies of T3s that still exist, the post office was more careful handling the mail in 1910-1911!
The box measures 9 X 7 X 21/2 inches, and my hunch is that it was used for shipping/displaying packs of Turkey Red cigarettes in the same way that contemporary cigarette manufacturers put packs of smokes in cartons of ten. Beyond this, I am not certain what other function the box could have had.
An interesting question, and I hope this helps shed some light.
Cheers, Mike

Old 11-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Mike,

Thanks for clearing it up. Yes - 2005 seems right for the auction! Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the box advertised as a shipping box?

Any chance you have better pics of it?

Old 11-28-2007, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Craig D

Hi,

I think Mike has it right. T3s were shipped in envelopes, directly to collectors from the location noted on the back of the cards.

I have an example of an original envelope on my website. I also have a big Turkey Red display box there - presumably used on the store counter to hold packs for sale. My assumption would be that the Turkish Trophies box that Jon has was used in the same way, kind of like a carton.

www.t3turkeyred.com

Best,
Craig

Old 11-28-2007, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: 1880nonsports

unlikely one would have been included in a carton (this ain't no Boston Garter). The carton was for the retailer and would have at the very least promotional material associated with it if a T3 was included. Cartons have been around since at least the 1870's. I have a few but their large size and lack of graphics hurts their display value a little bit. Also the carton doesn't look quite right for 1914 but I can;'t yet put my finger on it. Your pic. is quite bad "-) . As a quick aside there was quite a nice Cycle" carton recently sold on eBay. Not cheap but only second I've seen. Shameless plug - I'm interested in an envelope for the T3's. Please help....

Old 11-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry Spillman

The original subject of this thread was a TT shipping box for T3's. I think all of the premiums were shipped in manila envelopes but I was not sure about the Turkey Red and Turkish Trophies connection.

Coupons for the T3 were inserted in Turkey Red, Fez & Old Mill cigarettes packs.

Coupons for the S81 & L1 were inserted in Helmar & Turkish Trophies cigarettes packs.

However the same picture of a player appears on the T3, S81 and L1. So I assume all these cigarette brands were part of the S. Anargyros Company family. ?

I display only the Helmar graphics on my website:

http://home.tampabay.rr.com/jspillman/aaaweb.htm

Old 11-29-2007, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: 1880nonsports

you wuz busy up north......