NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-29-2007, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Default Interesting story regarding the T-206 Wagner

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Last night I was reading a little of Lew's Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards and read an interesting story I had never heard before... Thought others on the board may find it interesting and maybe some of the hobby veterans can fill in some more details as the story in Lew's book was short.

It seems as though in the 1970's, a Piedmont backed T-206 surfaced that depicted Wagner in a batting pose. I guess it caused quite a stir and was thought to be a variation of the infamous Wagner until it was discovered that the card was actually an E95 front with a Piedmont back attached (and hence doctored). Does anyone remember this happening or able to provide more details?

Old 11-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

<sarcasm> Certainly no one doctored cards back in the 70s!! </sarcasm>

Old 11-29-2007, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Absolutely have read that story before with all of the details. I think, but am not sure, that Lew wrote about that in his old periodical/newsletter, The Old Judge......was interesting reading....btw, if anyone ever wants to read some good stuff on the hobby and cards, that series by Lipset, "The Old Judge" is really good..Not sure where they can be found anymore though.....regards

edited typo's

Old 11-29-2007, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Dawson

I remember reading about that in SCD and/or the old Baseball Hobby News back at the time (it was around 1978-79 I think). I don't remember the parties involved, but if I'm remembering correctly, it did take a little while before it was determined to have been a rebacked forgery...apparently, it was a very good alteration for the day. It seemed the hobby was all atwitter over it at first!

Steve

Old 11-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

I have read this story and apparently this was a convincing reback. In order to put it to the test, the owner agreed to soak the card in water. When he did this the E95 front and the Piedmont back came right apart.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

i think the scam got attention then because the t206 wagner and t206's in general were very popular and e cards were not popular at all. i think it may have even been in the early 80's (83?)

Old 11-29-2007, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

It was like a blow by blow until it was put in the water. IIRC, Dick Reuss was one of the people who owned the Wagner and because of his fame in the hobby at the time, it was a huge story.

Regards
Rich

Old 11-29-2007, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Corey R. Shanus

What I remember is being at a card show in NYC in the early to mid 70's and hearing about a T206 Wagner batting pose (that purportedly was at the show). I remember going around the room trying to find it (which I didn't) and in the process asking anybody I came into contact with what they knew about the card. Bottom line -- the clear consensus at the show was that the card was a fraud (i.e., rebacked) and not to worry about not getting a chance to see it.