NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Default Need advice for a GAI problem.

Posted By: Dave Haas

In the now locked GAI-CTD thread I mentioned I was waiting for the return of several cards I sent GAI on Oct 9. One of the 5 cards was a very nice '48/49 Leaf Babe Ruth. Several days after GAI received the cards a person named "Darren" called me and said he was handling my order and wanted to know if I was interested in selling the Ruth card. He said that one of their customers had a want list on file and one of the cards on it was a '48/'49 Ruth. After some negotiating we arrived at a price and he said he would encapsulate the card and upon receipt of a check from the Buyer, send my remaining cards and a GAI check for the amount to me. Well, I received the package today and my remaining 4 cards were there but no Ruth card and no check.
Since GAI's phone and website are down and with multiple rumors as to their future, how do you think I should handle this situation? Darren had given me his cell phone number and I have left a message, but since he hasn't responded to previous messages I am not holding my breath for his call. They might have "accidently" forgot to include the check or have I just been scammed. I do have copies of my original submission form and also of the Pregrade results that were on their website. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

Why would a grading site be brokering deals on cards? If I were you I would contact the CA Attorney Generals office.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Forget the AG's office. You need to file an embezzlement report with the local police department for the city where Global is located.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I was thinking the same thing. If I sent cards in to be graded and someone from the company called asking to buy them, I would ask for my cards back and never do business with them again.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Wow - just incredible. Where are the GAI homers that were defending them in the other thread? Come try and defend this...

Old 11-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Administrator

I should have been tipped off when I was told by Darren that GAI didn't want a cut of the deal. That I would get all of the sales price. But I was dealing with a nationally recognized grading company who I had dealt with before. Who would know?

Old 11-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Kaufman

I don't know of any grading services that keep "want lists". You need the services of WARSHAWLAW for this scam !!!

Old 11-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty

"Forget the AG's office. You need to file an embezzlement report with the local police department for the city where Global is located."

Which city are they now located in?

Old 11-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Dave- I'd suggest that you call Steve Rocchi or Mike Baker and ask them about this. You want to establish first that this "Darren" is actually a GAI employee and if he is, Steve and Mike need to know about this. I had a recent situation with GAI in which 9 of the 10 cards I paid to have graded at the National came back graded but one didn't. It was apparently lost and I received full reimbursement from GAI for it from Steve although the card is one which is rarely offered for sale on ebay or elsewhere. Call them first and give them your complaint. If you don't get any satisfaction there, call the California Attorney General's office, consumer fraud division and/or the District Attorney's office in the county in which GAI is located.
Bob

Old 11-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Bob - how do you propose he get a hold of them when no one is answering their phones?

Old 11-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Administrator

How do I reach Steve or Mike? Does anyone have their cell phone numbers?
About 2 weeks ago I had called to check on my order and the female who answered the phone put me on hold while checked with this Darren about my order so I assume he worked there.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Dave,

Find the address where you mailed the cards. Contact the police there. Try to find an officer who works internet or computer crimes. That is where to start, try and file a report soon, once you figure out who to file with.

That would be a good first step.

FW

Old 11-09-2007, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Even if "Darren" didn't work there, GAI is still responsible, since you certainly did not give them permission to give your card to a non-GAI employee.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Get Attorney Involved

Old 11-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

well over 200 posts on various theads regarding the GAI matter and not one word from them. Boys, I think the ship done sunk.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I'm finding the "moving" story a lot harder to swallow at this point...after 2-3 days of people panicking on the net about GAI's whereabouts you would think one of the principals of GAI would come on here and allay any fears people were having. There's also a reason why people don't answer their cell phones too.

This sucks for those who have outstanding transactions with GAI and if the moving story is true I would NEVER do business with them again.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I spoke with someone today who spoke with Mike Baker yesterday. GAI, I am told, is done...cooked. There is no other office and no move. I am told no one is answering their phones or cell phones. I have left 2 v-mails for Mike on his cell but don't expect a call back. I am no lawyer but I would guess that in the long run it will be decided what was owned by Global and what wasn't. I don't think creditors would be entitled to stuff GAI didn't own...again, I am no lawyer. This is truly sad.....I hope the good folks that were/are employed by GAI will do the right thing and come out with a personal statement and save some face and integrity over this whole matter....best regards

edited typo's

Old 11-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Wow, this is beginning to feel more and more like one of those car accidents where you feel terrible but can't look away. I've stuck with GAI through the loss of my e98 set by UPS on the way back after grading and the loss of my card at National this year, but this is just too much. The ramblings and ascerbic pen of the guy who attacked Jon Canfield is too much. If he is connected with GAI as a distribution head in the Midwest I'll really have to just finally cut ties and send everything in the future to SGC.
I will try to find Baker's cell phone number and email it to you, Dave H.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:36 AM
Administrator

I guess I should be happy that my other 4 cards were returned. Unfortunately all four of them didn't equal the value of the Ruth card.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Dave- I can honestly say the best thing I ever did was take $400 for my T207 Cycle Moriarty which GAI lost and not the $800 in slabbing services which they alternatively offered a few weeks ago Whew! I would have had a ton of cards collecting dust at their vault and would be worried sick.
tbob

Old 11-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

<<my T207 Cycle Moriarty which GAI lost>>

Hopefully you can buy your card back when it hits ebay and maybe for less than the cash you received.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: brian

I noticed others on the CU group who have high dollar card submissions in limbo also. Hope they didn't parachute out of the country with all the vintage gems in tow.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Brian- Yes that would be nice but I saw the only other Cycle back Moriarty which I have spotted in the last couple of years sell on ebay around 30-45 days ago for over $600 (as I recall) and it wasn't nearly as nice as mine so I doubt it
tbob

Old 11-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David B

Does this mean the prices of slabbed GAI cards will go down in value now that they are cooked?

Old 11-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

David

I think the prices of GAI slabbed cards had been going down in value...but yes at this point imo I would be breaking any out and sending them somewhere else.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Simeone

Well I guess it will remain to be seen how these TOP NOTCH gentleman handle the dirty laundry! Doesnt look good when you cant even get them on the phone!!! Looks like there is going to be major fall out. I guess SKYDASH can thank his lucky stars that his collection didnt go the route of GAI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

GAI cards were always selling for a little below market, as their grading was too loose. I imagine over time all their cards will be crossed over to PSA and SGC.

I guess those two companies will pick up GAI's market share. Good for them.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Krause

Old 11-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Bob,

You might not get the price you want, but I bet 2 bits you will see your card at auction in the next 12 months.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe S.

I have a 1956 GAI Robin Roberts graded 8 NM/MT that I'm afraid would cross-over as EXMT, at the best.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Hmmmm...how to put this. I just heard from a source that is closer than anyone, including the person I mentioned in my previous post, to this situation and here is the up to the minute low down. GAI is NOT over at this particular moment. I am not saying they will not go out of business but at this very moment (5 minutes ago) they aren't. There are things trying to be worked out but it is a very, very fluid situation and could change by the minute/hour. They were evicted as some monies that were supposed to come in, didn't, and rent couldn't be made. All of the submissions are in a secured storage, I am told. NO one at this moment can get to them. This could change very quickly depending on what happens in the next hours. I am told they are trying to work details out to be able to STAY in business AND secure a new lease. I know they are very saddened about their customers having to go through this and no one wanted this to happen, obviously. I was told that this board will be made aware of the situation as soon as something is firm. My guess is we will know more in the next 24-48 hours.....I am sorry I can't tell who my sources are on this but I promised.....

Old 11-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Why would they keep one card of mine and return the other four. Makes no sense.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John Basilone

Leon-

Did you ask your "source" why he or anyone that he is associated with has not bothered to post an official update on your message board?

Another question.....are the cards in Van Nuys?

Old 11-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

Which rent wasn't paid?

My guess is the August, September, October, and November.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Administrator

I did ask that question. The answer was that since no one actually knows what will develop they are not making an official statement yet. It's that fluid. If they get financing worked out they will stay in business....obviously if they don't then then won't. Personally, I would have handled it differently. Also, my source is not one of the principals in the company.....I think it would be their place to make a statement. If I were them I certainly would have already made one. I didn't ask where the cards are right now but, from our conversation, I would assume they are with other GAI possessions....in a storage close to their closed office...again, that is a guess. I was absolutely told that they are very concerned about the property that is not theirs....but in their possession.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

Let's see, they can't pay their rent, and who knows how much/long it's in arrears. Who's to say they could pay it next month?

They don't attend shows where they could earn at least exposure or market presence, possibly even revenue, and they don't tell anyone why they are not attending--shows they've regularly attended before.

They are "moving", yet can't so much as leave a recording on a voice mail or answering machine, nor park their website while this tumultuous undertaking runs its course. Like it's tough to get phone lines transferred and add a line or two of text on the webpage to notify customers of changes.

Customer service is non-existent, and customer orders are being lost or possibly stolen.

Yeah, I believe it's a fluid situation all right, and the fluid is swirling around the bowl.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Administrator

If they DO open back again for business they might try slabbing cards for $7 each and giving great customer service to rebuild their business image. If they don't offer reduced prices compared to SGC and PSA I think the damage will be irreparable, but that's just my opinion.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

"If they get financing worked out they will stay in business"

Not for nothing, but they're already out of business, whether they get financing or not.

Would anyone here submit anything to them after this?

-Al

Old 11-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

this time, I swear it's true

Old 11-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

I sincerely wish the best for Mike and Steve and Danny who are nice people.

But, sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make.

At one time, I was prepared if PSA went to half grades to flip my 25,000 graded card collection to GAI and have them grade 25,000 more raw. They would have done it in my card room.

Thank goodness PSA did not go to half grades.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingbaseballgolf33

What ever the case, this is kind of disturbing for the hobby to hear a story like this. If PSA or SGC ever offered to buy a high end card from me - I would question it right away

Jimmy

Old 11-09-2007, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Jimmy...would also explain why alot of their cards seem overgraded...if they have deals on the side for cards in submissions....who's to say they wouldn't slab something EX instead of VG-EX?

Old 11-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Even if they make it through this situation I can't figure out why anyone would submit cards to them in the future. Why would someone take a risk on a valuable card to save a few dollars on grading? It seems to me that this business is all based on credibility and, once lost, it cannot be replaced.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

Dave,

I looked at a GAI graded 1953 Topps Mantle at the Boston Show - the grade was a GAI 7. This is a very tough card and the card was still there at the end of the show. Never been an account holder with GAI, but I have dealers that work with me that used them before and I have seen some crazy grades

Jimmy

Old 11-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Exactly Jay...they're done now. Would anyone here send a card to GAI tomorrow if they said "Everything is A-Okay we're back up and running"?

Old 11-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

I would have to say that if they make it out of this still in business they have a tough road ahead of them. It is not impossible to stay in business after such a thing happens, but, like others have said, they will need to seriously change things around. A very strict marketing plan would be a great start. Tons of businesses have marketing plans, but few actually stick to them. Everyone here that is any type of business at all knows that customer service drives any business. With most businesses, people will put up with an average product for great customer service and a decent price. Cards on the other hand are a different bag altogether.

If they do get back in business then I suggest that they find themselves a marketing professional that knows what he/she is doing. Of course, other changes will need to happen as well.

They can come back, but damn it will be tough.

Dan: It can be done, but not in a day that is for sure.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Personally, I agree.......I am but the messenger......

Old 11-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Administrator

If they do manage to get out of this and stay in business...the best thing to do before a major marketing effort IMO is a name change...make it out to be a completely new business at this point.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Administrator

It doesn't make much sense to me...of course I know nothing about the business...but how much overhead can a grading company actually have? They don't have that much money tied up in equipment I wouldn't think...besides staff...what is there? How does one go bankrupt running a grading outfit??

Old 11-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

THey are done. I can't imagine that anyone who was considering financing them would do so now.
JimB