NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-10-2007, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Default Need advice for a GAI problem.

Posted By: Steve Murray

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170166483717

edited to fix thread from going too far right...

Old 11-10-2007, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

LOL - I just emailed Dave that exact listing 5 minutes ago!

Old 11-10-2007, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Also, that ebay seller is the same scam artist behind the Reprinted Ruths in the thread belwo this one...

Old 11-10-2007, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Larry

Steve-

That GAI holder you are refering to in the link is their silver older version...must have been graded well before the newer white ones came out...My last GAI submission was about 60 days ago and they all had the new flip so if this card was graded very recently, I would be very shocked that they would use the silver flip again. As far as the grade, the card does look accurately graded but a scan does not tell all.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Rund

Check out GAI website

Coming Soon!
This site is under construction

Old 11-10-2007, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

and their server and phones were inside -
I could see how such a poor transition (outage) like this could happen.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim

I'm so glad that I chose SGC as my grader of choice.

Now if we could just bring down PSA, world domination would be mine!

Old 11-10-2007, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Solomon Cramer

If GAI is going to continue, I believe, more than anything else, they need to come up with a mission statement.

What is the purpose for their existence? PSA was first to market, perhaps not with the best product or service, but they've established their credibility as clearly the #1 brand. SGC, while it took them a while, established themselves in the vintage niche. Beckett has gained in the mass market that has always been their forte, primarily with modern cards. Most of the minor companies made their market in "grade to order" demand.

I graded thousands of cards with GAI back in the day, and was hoping they would be a viable competitor to PSA. Unfortunately, the ROI was never there for modern cards. It doesn't seem they caught on with vintage, despite the qualified graders they employed. What are they looking to do? Be a better PSA? SGC? BGS? A better PSA/DNA or JSA?

Unfortunately, and personally I've always liked the guys at Global, I've just always felt that the craze was over, and they created the company in a mature marketplace with established competition.

10-12 years ago, no one graded anything besides major vintage star cards, and occasional modern cards that were subjected to counterfeiting (Jordan RC, etc.) The modern card craze generated an amazing new source of cards to be graded, primarily by PSA, and later by SGC, Beckett, and the minor companies. PSA created the registry, which popularized grading of commons, and created a market to grade 600 cards in a vintage set, instead of 5-10.

I'm a believer that in most businesses, you need to be either a premium provider, a Tiffanys/Saks 5th Ave store, or a value store of some sort, whether in a mid level like Macys or Sears, or at the bottom like Wal Mart or KMart. You can't be both. A Tiffany lamp isn't going to sell at Wal Mart, and you won't find 2 for $1 socks at Saks, or it wouldn't be Saks.

Assuming they can get the issues sorted out...what do they want to do?

Old 11-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Solomon,

I agree that Gai should clarify their market niche.

But there are bigger problems than that, they also failed to take care of the basics like getting a business license and paying their rent.

Peter C.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

For a while, they had Mike Gutierrez and were as credible as PSA/DNA and JSA
in the autograph market, and with decent volume. Until recently, most
autograph collectors considered GAI a strong brand name. In fact, for
a good while, many collectors considered a GAI LOA more reliable than a PSA
LOA.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Howard

The situation with the Ruth card strikes me as bizarre if it is a scam. If this "Darren" character intended to steal the card why would he implant needless suspicion by mentioning a buyer?

Old 11-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Not to beat a dead horse but this isn't even close...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-19-SWEET-CAPORAL-GAI-EX-5_W0QQitemZ130173065244QQihZ003QQcategoryZ44QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I understand the dating of cigarette packs is an inexact science but come on now - a cellophane wrapping and it is dated as 1909-1919?

Old 11-30-2007, 11:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: psa***

edited out due to anonymity....put your name by this kind of trash talk or don't post....nothing personal....(moderator)

ps...sorry Steve M, this kind of post has to have a name by it or it won't be allowed...(moderator)

Old 12-01-2007, 04:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

Thanks Leon.