NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-30-2007, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Default Is this Frosting?... Has this sgc holder been opened?

Posted By: kirk

Maybe I'm paranoid from all I've been reading lately about doctored cards and people opening slabs..
I just bought this on ebay (it came today), and I nboticed some things that concerned me. This is a high end card in my fledgeling collection, so the thought of it being switched for a fake or something scares me. I've never owned a card in an SGC holder until now, and I've never seen these traits in the PSA or beckett holders I've bought on ebay. Your trained eyes are much appreciated..... Does it look like this has been opened?

Also, these little "frosting" looking spots arent nearly as noticable in person... but the flash really makes them pop out.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

wow looks like you put alot of effort into the scans...sorry to tell you that's how most SGC holders look and it's fine.

maybe you can redirect that energy into solving why the bees population is taking a nosedive?

Old 11-30-2007, 09:24 PM
Administrator

lol, not scans, just digital cam pics... But don't be sorry to tell me.. You made me very happy!

It's not distracting from the card really at all, I was just inspecting the holder super-close because Its the 1st scg card I've ever bought, and someone on here said they were the easiest to open and I thought, hmmmm. I should ask someone who knows, so here I am... Yes indeed I put a lil time into doing it, but it was worth my peace of mind because I've been wanting this card for a while, and finally I got a good one at a good price... Thanks for your feedback!
I do also like the sgc holder, I'll be sending some cards to them in the future!

Old 11-30-2007, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

No, the holder has not been tampered with and the card is the same one that was first graded and placed in the holder by SGC. Of that I am certain.

I was the original seller and submitter of the card and the pressure marks on the edges are the same as when I owned it. They are typical of many SGC graded cards that have been sonically sealed. The "notches" you see on the top and bottom edges are simply from the attachment points on the plastic mold that was cast. Most, if not all SGC holders have this.

If an SGC holder has been compromised, you'll immediately know it from the rather extreme splintering and fractured appearance along the edges.

BTW, great pick-up!

Old 11-30-2007, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat (ret.)

One of my favorite flathead screwdriver threads:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/message/1136272829/Cracking+a+BGS+-+BVG+case

Old 12-01-2007, 03:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

They are typical of many SGC graded cards that have been sonically sealed.

Sonically sealed? I didn't know that. You mean, like, they put a pair of 14-inch cones blasting "You Are The Wind Beneath My Wings" next to the holder and Yogi tries to shut the holder as tight as possible?

Old 12-01-2007, 05:55 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the replies. So MW, was it you who sold me the card, or did you sell it to the seller? How do you know it was yours. I love this card so much. Certain designs catch my eye and the 54 topps is at the top of my list.. I was happy to get it for what I consider a great price.

Is there a way to look up a specific card on sgc like you can on psa's site? I searched high & low & if there is a way, it's eluded me thus far...

Thanks again.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

No Paul, it's an imperceptable (whew) sound... Like that silent ndog whistle.

Wonder if there's a yogiism for this thread.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

kirk - MW knows the card because of the serial number at the top of the slab. SGC's serial number is "your invoice number"-"card number on that invoice" which is the stated reason that SGC doesn't have the ability to check cert #s online since it would allow someone to see the sellers entire invoice just by editing the last number. Personally, I think they should offer the online checking. If you do need to verify an SGC cert, email Michael Goldberg at SGC.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:11 AM
Administrator

^I see. thanks. Yeah it's nice to be able to look up a card on psa, but out of curiosity, for what reason would someone want to look up a card other than to double check that theyre not buying a fake.... And if the holders are impossible to open and re-seal without the slab looking abundantly obvious it's been tampered with, that shouldnt be an issue right? What other uses are there for a 'look up' feature? thx:)

Old 12-01-2007, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

kirk - again, I think SGC should have it, but I think SGC feels it's a privacy thing - a seller may not want a buyer seeing his entire invoice for any number of reasons - he doesn't want the seller to know how much $$ in cards he received, he doesn't want the seller to see he tried submitting several cards that were trimmed, etc.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Larry

<maybe you can redirect that energy into solving why the bees population is taking a <nosedive?

That's easy. The extinction of bees began when cellphones went to extremely high frequencies (2 GHZ & above). The time correlation between the events is too coincidental.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

So MW, was it you who sold me the card, or did you sell it to the seller? How do you know it was yours.

I sold it to someone who sold it to someone else, who sold it to you, I believe, although I am not completely certain. That's just a best guess based on eBay IDs. As mentioned above, the serial number identifies the card.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Kirk:
I would replace "abundantly obvious" in your post with "easily discernable".

Old 12-01-2007, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Larry

<I sold it to someone who sold it to someone else, who sold it to you

who sold it to you before you sold it to someone who sold it to someone else, who sold it to Kirk?

Old 12-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Red

Kevin Bacon