NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-27-2021, 04:11 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
What John said. VG-EX can have a crease, but anymore two decades into the 21st century, it probably needs to be more of a wrinkle. But I would agree that "EX" or PSA 5 is where you should draw the line to have no creases / wrinkles whatsoever. I have seen exceptions to this rule even from PSA, but it's pretty rare.
How odd that apparently VG-EX can be so bad as to have a crease, and then I see PSA 4s that look like they’re EX-NM.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:19 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default Greg Morris Cards - Grading

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
How odd that apparently VG-EX can be so bad as to have a crease, and then I see PSA 4s that look like they’re EX-NM.

Not odd at all. This is why professional grading in many cases is more or less a scam. All grading is related to eye appeal, and therefore subjective. You can have a 4 with a difficult to spot wrinkle, and sharp corners that is more aesthetically appealing than a 6 with noticeable corner touches or centering problems. Happens all the time. The subjectivity and “difficult to pin down” nature of grading as a discipline is at least partially why it’s so profitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 10-27-2021 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:11 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Not odd at all. This is why professional grading in many cases is more or less a scam. All grading is related to eye appeal, and therefore subjective. You can have a 4 with a difficult to spot wrinkle, and sharp corners that is more aesthetically appealing than a 6 with noticeable corner touches or centering problems. Happens all the time. The subjectivity and “difficult to pin down” nature of grading as a discipline is at least partially why it’s so profitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh, I know - I was being facetious. Completely agree with you that grading is a lot of BS.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:40 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I've bought from Greg in the past, and have been pleased with my orders. Nothing else to add about him that hasn't already been said.

No comment on Dean's pricing, but I couldn't make heads or tails of this listing, for a 1971 Topps Boston Red Sox team set (emphasis added):

Quote:
This almost complete set contains 28 cards out of the possible 28 cards. This is not a complete set.
"The following cards have been omitted, in order to keep the cost of the set reasonable, and can be purchased separately."#692 AL Rookies - Pitchers - Wayne Twitchell / Rogelio Moret / Hal Haydel and #65 AL HR Leaders - Frank Howard / Harmon Killebrew / Carl Yastrzemski This set does not include the following cards:
The cards ranked by Value:

1971 Topps #176 - Doug Griffin / Bob Montgomery Red Sox Rookies: PSA 8 - NM/MT
1971 Topps #577 Jim Lonborg : PSA 6 - EX/MT
1971 Topps #530 Carl Yastrzemski : 6 - EX/MT
1971 Topps #386 Red Sox Team: 8 - NM/MT
1971 Topps #305 Reggie Smith : 7 - NM
1971 Topps #61 - Alex Johnson / Tony Oliva / Carl Yastrzemski AL Batting Leaders : 6 - EX/MT
1971 Topps #498 John Kennedy : 7 - NM
1971 Topps #512 - Mike Garman / Dick Mills Red Sox Rookies: 8 - NM/MT
1971 Topps #63 - Tony Conigliaro / Frank Howard / Boog Powell AL RBI Leaders : 6 - EX/MT
1971 Topps #89 Ken Brett : 7 - NM
1971 Topps #446 Bobby Bolin : 7 - NM
1971 Topps #114 Billy Conigliaro : 6 - EX/MT
So is it a complete set or not? If not, and the list of cards are the ones excluded, that's almost half the set, including all the stars and rookies.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:44 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
I've bought from Greg in the past, and have been pleased with my orders. Nothing else to add about him that hasn't already been said.

No comment on Dean's pricing, but I couldn't make heads or tails of this listing, for a 1971 Topps Boston Red Sox team set (emphasis added):

So is it a complete set or not? If not, and the list of cards are the ones excluded, that's almost half the set, including all the stars and rookies.
Well yeah, he has to leave those cards out so he can keep the price at only $400!
Old 10-28-2021, 04:36 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
Oh, I know - I was being facetious. Completely agree with you that grading is a lot of BS.
Sorry. I can be tone deaf even to the sarcasm anymore, because so many people it seems still don't understand grading, or just want to pretend it's something it's not. As a collector I still love a properly graded card in a nice slab, but since the pandemic - the hoops and expense around getting your own raw cards graded combined with the borderline fraud that has always existed just became too much for me. Right now I'm trying to enjoy my remaining raw cards for what they are - with the notion that eye appeal and a technical grade don't necessarily have to coexist within a slab...

Last edited by jchcollins; 10-28-2021 at 07:10 AM.