NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-20-2003, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Default Printing Errors

Posted By: Robert

Maybe you guys can take a look at these and tell me what you think. It's hard enough to find missing red ink on one card but two cards from the same seller is pretty hard to believe. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31719&item=2723048572&rd=1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31719&item=2717552245 The pictures are not very good but let me know what you guys believe them to be. Rob

Old 04-20-2003, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Default Printing Errors

Posted By: Sammy

I don't see anything wrong with those two so-called "Variations". They are NOT the geniune "No B" or "Missing Red" variations anyways. Those two specimens are just the light color variations and not truly complete missing red variations. However, complete missing red variations do exist, but definitely not those two offered/offering by that seller.

Old 04-20-2003, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Default Printing Errors

Posted By: fkw

my guess.... Alot of missing color T206 cards are handcut from scrap error sheets snagged up by dumpster diving kids, or brought home by printer employees. It would be easy to think many of the same type of print errors (missing color, offcenter back) show up within the same collection, especially if collections are older, as T206 print errors were not worth a whole lot until within the last few years. its just a thought Frank

Old 04-20-2003, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Default Printing Errors

Posted By: fkw

Ive owned a couple Speaker Boston with no red, both found on eBay with no mention of error. I dont think the missing red cards are all that rare in my opinion. Ive seen a couple "no red" Sweeneys show up on eBay as well where the seller didnt know what they had.

Frank

Old 04-21-2003, 02:07 AM
Administrator

Default Printing Errors

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Why does it seem that the red is missing only from Boston players and not other teams? Or is it just more obvious because of the red in the jersey?

Lee

Old 04-28-2003, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Default Printing Errors

Can you believe that card went for 1500.00? Rob

Old 04-28-2003, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Default Printing Errors

Posted By: runscott

I think that a lot of Boston player cards were printed on the same sheet because the colors used on the cards were the same. When the "red" started running out, whoever was watching didn't notice, and they made it to production. Since there are plenty of examples where the "B" is completely missing on other player cards, the run was obviously not caught and sheets were printed in various stages of "non-B-ness" - this probably took quite a while, which is why you see the various shades of "Boston" in Frank's Speaker cards.

Old 04-28-2003, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Default Printing Errors

Posted By: petecld

Scott,

I couldn't explain it any better then what you said. It was either a case of ink running out or it could have been machine pressure issue and it would stand to reason that this color fading would happen over a period of time and would affect the entire sheet. If there was a sheet with all Boston players then it shouldn't be a surprise to find this happening to any/all Boston players.

As collectors, we prize these little pieces of printed paper today but compared to other printed pieces of the era Baseball cards obviously weren't considered for high end printing. Production seemed to focus more on quantity over quality.

I only hope the person who pays big for a card like this fully understands what he/she is buying.

Old 04-28-2003, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Default Printing Errors

Posted By: jay behrens

Has anyone been tracking what backs/series these missing red ink cards have?

Jay

Old 04-28-2003, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Default Printing Errors

I think most are Piedmont 350. But I still don't understand why the first time this card was up it only reached just over 300.00 and when it was relisted it went within a day for the BIN price of 1500.00. Well I guess we have to see if the buyer pays for it or if it will be relisted again. Buyer onlt has one feedback. I think that is very high for that card? What do you guys think? Rob