NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-02-2013, 10:29 AM

Default I Found Some Cards.....

I once had a situation where my wife's aunt found a large number of cards in an apartment that she was renting out. The renter had split and left them after he failed to pay the rent. So, knowing that I was a big collector, she asked that I take a look at them the next time that I was over at her house.

Well, unfortunately, it was a huge carton filled with 80's and 90's cards . Have any of you non-dealers had a similar situation where you struck gold? I hope that one day I will be as lucky.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Frank Hay-zer

Well, I personally didn't strike gold because I never saw a penny from it but during my college years, an ex-girlfriends' mother was cleaning her mothers' house and found some old baseball pins. She showed the collection to me and I identified them as 1898 cameo pins-there was an Anson in them too! The family was able to pay off some bills after i directed them to a consignment auction. It was something i'll never forget!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmh71 View Post
I once had a situation where my wife's aunt found a large number of cards in an apartment that she was renting out. The renter had split and left them after he failed to pay the rent. So, knowing that I was a big collector, she asked that I take a look at them the next time that I was over at her house.

Well, unfortunately, it was a huge carton filled with 80's and 90's cards . Have any of you non-dealers had a similar situation where you struck gold? I hope that one day I will be as lucky.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:18 PM

I know where a famous British photographer working in New York City skipped the country a few years ago and left loads of his original photos and negatives in his apartment. The landlord auctioned them off and I won a bunch. Some were valuable. Some time later, the photographer, now in Tahiti, learned I had a bunch of his photos and emailed me. He didn't ask for the photos back, but did ask if I could send scans of them, which I did.

I didn't get the photos for free, but that's the left-behind story.

Last edited by drc; 03-02-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Cleaning out the house here. Just this AM, gave a couple of kids four binders of 80-90s stuff. They were happy to get Magic, Bird, Jordan, Gretzky Bourque, Wakefield, Griffey etc. They struck gold
Old 03-02-2013, 01:37 PM

Default Good work Steve

Nice to hear your kind act Steve!

All the Best,

Ryan Heffner
Old 03-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Jason Stricker

Default Tobacco cards

My wife occassionaly works at her family's coffee shop, where one day an old man was talking to her about his coin collection (of all things) while she was making his drink. She replied that I collect old tobacco cards and he said, "oh, I have boxes of those at home. I'll have to bring them in so he can have them. I haven't touched them for decades." Of course with my luck, she didn't get his name or contact information and he's never returned.

They're probably old fish or bird cards, but I like to dream it's a cigar box full of Wagners, Cobbs, Mathewsons and the remaining Hindu southern leaguers I need.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

About 1971 or 72 I was walking to the grocery store. I took a shortcut through an alley and happened to glance in an incinerator. There sitting on top was a box of baseball cards. It turned out to be 1963 Topps. There were 4 or 5 unopened packs, which I immediately opened. Wish I could say there was a Mantle. Not a real star in the batch, but I didn't start collecting until 1964 and I was tickled to get a few mint '63s! Wish I had kept the box and not even opened them.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Shawn M

I remember when my parents had bought there new house when I was about 11 or 12 and rummaging through(then) unfinished basement and finding a home made map in between a crack in the wall. It described a spot in the back yard(measured in yards from the back door of the house) to an area by a big apple tree. Something was marked by an X. So after school one day I decided to dig up all around that area and finally discovered a tin container containing all but 80's, early 90's baseball cards. Ha, I'll never forget the 1990 topps Ken Griffey Jr. All Star Rookie card that was inside, I struck gold!
Later got yelled at for digging up the back yard