NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-04-2021, 04:09 PM
Justin

No idea. Maybe the drugs were good in '75? It probably comes down to one dude working in production not paying attention. Reminds me of when I was in college I took a night job working in an auto parts production plant. The guy giving me the orientation tour pointed out a machine while walking passed it and said a kid working that machine a couple years before caused a major Ford recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyinthehall View Post
This is insanely amazing! Was there something particularly haywire on the Topps presses in 1975? 1978 is my pet year and I will occasionally look for some miscuts but I've never found more than a small handful.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 09-04-2021, 05:39 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmo View Post
No idea. Maybe the drugs were good in '75? It probably comes down to one dude working in production not paying attention. Reminds me of when I was in college I took a night job working in an auto parts production plant. The guy giving me the orientation tour pointed out a machine while walking passed it and said a kid working that machine a couple years before caused a major Ford recall.
That plant didn't build the Pinto, did it?
Old 09-11-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob28 View Post
I started a '71 OPC set (I like the backs), I've fizzled out on it and have no desire to pick it back up.
I've been trying to find the 1971 OPC high-numbers of the Yankees for a reasonable price for years in vain. The pre-1977 OPC are very tough in my opinion, especially in higher grade.
Old 09-11-2021, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhardy View Post
For me, I guess the thing that fits the original topic is....I am actually considering spending several hundred dollars on a 1956 Topps.....wait for it...wrapper! I have completed my Topps set run project from 1953 to present. I have a pack for each set down to my birth year of 1975. I have settled for a wrapper from each year to finish the rest. I still need 1953 and 1956. I think it is a neat addition to each set....but....really? It's a wrapper for crying out loud!

Having said all of that, this topic makes me think of my reasoning for participating in this hobby in the first place. I have often thought....why in the world do I collect cardboard pictures of baseball players? I have come to one conclusion. I love baseball....and I love history. I was not good enough to play professionally. To me, this is my personal attachment to the history of baseball. It is my personal historical archive. That is the way I look at it. As far as the financial aspect goes....generally speaking, these little artifacts hold their value. To me, I can be another form of money. If I needed the money, I could just turn around and sell them. Hopefully that doesn't ever happen.

So, with all of that in mind....why would anyone EVER spend ANY amount of money on a 1988 Topps set? Because if you want the complete run of sets, you have to have it. I am just OCD enough for it to drive me crazy if I had a hole like that in my run. As I have said before....I'm just glad they didn't make a Topps set in 1952!
I totally get the wrappers- it captures the excitement of seeing these on the shelf in the drug store. And these days actually unopened it prohibitively expensive so wrappers make a lot of sense.

Before the hobby got big (think 1981) collecting wrappers was pretty popular, at least more popular than now. Check this out, there was a guy who had a magazine just focused on wrappers. Amazingly he still publishes it!
http://www.thewrappermagazine.com/
Old 09-11-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
i am wasting album space on multiple Laughlin, TCMA, SSPC, Jim Rowe and Broder collections...because I enjoy them.
"Wasting?" Nah, seems like a great use of albums and sheets. That stuff has a lot of hobby history. The best part is that you can't just go on ebay and build a collection when you want. It takes persistence and a lot of hobby knowledge.

I've got a lot of TCMA in my Yankees collection. Just picked up some TCMA "The War Years" Yankees (1977). Guys that had their time in the sun while filling in for superstars at war. TCMA is a big part of the early history of this hobby, very much ahead of their time. First to create cards of vintage players, first to create minor league cards on any kind of scale.

Jim Rowe kept the George Brace postcards alive for decades. People forget all these little niches in the hobby in the 1970's and 1980's.
Old 09-11-2021, 02:03 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmo View Post
The drugs WERE good in 75... At least so I have read about it.

And that set rocks for me quite nicely.
Old 09-11-2021, 02:09 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

I love the SSPC set regardless of where it sits in the history banks. I have both the regular set and the error set. Now whether it is a reprint or not is debatable but I don't care. I have both and I like them. It was only later in years after I bought both them that I found out that the jack wagon Olbermann wrote the backs. Regardless, I like the fronts of pretty much all of them.

As for TCMA, they have certainly earned their space on many of collectors shelves. I can get cards of older players at much more affordable prices and enjoy them just the same.

Especially when it comes to finding old Senators/Nationals cards cheap.

Enjoy!

Last edited by butchie_t; 09-11-2021 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-11-2021, 02:35 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
It was only later in years after I bought both them that I found out that the jack wagon Olbermann wrote the backs.
I'd just like to note, that jackwagon has done more for the hobby while he slept, that you could ever hope to do in your lifetime. Political bias aside!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 09-12-2021, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunderby View Post
"Wasting?" Nah, seems like a great use of albums and sheets. That stuff has a lot of hobby history. The best part is that you can't just go on ebay and build a collection when you want. It takes persistence and a lot of hobby knowledge.

I've got a lot of TCMA in my Yankees collection. Just picked up some TCMA "The War Years" Yankees (1977). Guys that had their time in the sun while filling in for superstars at war. TCMA is a big part of the early history of this hobby, very much ahead of their time. First to create cards of vintage players, first to create minor league cards on any kind of scale.

Jim Rowe kept the George Brace postcards alive for decades. People forget all these little niches in the hobby in the 1970's and 1980's.
New here. What is TCMA?

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2021, 09:30 AM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I'd just like to note, that jackwagon has done more for the hobby while he slept, that you could ever hope to do in your lifetime. Political bias aside!
I always read his articles on variations, proofs and odd ball sets, and have lost out to him on several hobby rarities, but had no idea he did some of that while asleep. Even more impressive ��

TCMA

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A2KL...2LrAm079XM8NM-

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A2KL...3c8PMmmA4QE2s-

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 09-12-2021 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbjerry View Post
New here. What is TCMA?

Here's a good place to start.
https://sportscollectorsdigest.com/c...ein-tcma-cards
Old 09-12-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I always read his articles on variations, proofs and odd ball sets, and have lost out to him on several hobby rarities, but had no idea he did some of that while asleep. Even more impressive ��

TCMA

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A2KL...2LrAm079XM8NM-

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A2KL...3c8PMmmA4QE2s-
He started in media as a teenager writing for hobby papers. In fact he was in high school when he wrote the backs for SSPC. He also took many of the pictures for 1981 Donruss so you can blame that on him.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunderby View Post
Thank you

Old 09-12-2021, 11:56 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Nonetheless. Still don’t care for him.

Butch Turner

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:30 PM

1971 Greatest Moments 'proof' or error- saw this on ebay...not mine as i have 0 1971 GM...but....perhaps someone here is interested...

It is over priced but you will likely not see another...ever..?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2021, 12:47 PM
J0hn Collin$

I see I've already commented on this post. Yep, '67 continues to drive me crazy. I'm embarrassed to say how much I just paid for a Don Demeter high number SP. Yeah, who?
Old 11-30-2021, 08:31 AM
Bob F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I'm embarrassed to say how much I just paid for a Don Demeter high number SP.
Was it $40? A bargain if it made you happy.

Edited to add:

I sold my PSA 9 of Don on 2/15/2009 (I had a PSA 8 as well), and I did pretty well......as long as you don't look at the most recent sale. Sigh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Demeter.jpg (50.2 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by bobsbbcards; 11-30-2021 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:33 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsbbcards View Post
Was it $40? A bargain if it made you happy.
More than that! #facepalm
Old 11-30-2021, 08:36 AM
Al Richter

A non drinking, non smoking, non cursing pastor of a church in his post baseball life. He has to be an enhancement to any set in which he appears at any cost
Old 11-30-2021, 08:40 AM
John

I had a non drinking, non smoking, non cussing preacher who wanted me to take him on as a client...I refused when he wanted me to cheat for him on his tax return.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2021, 08:40 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
A non drinking, non smoking, non cursing pastor of a church in his post baseball life. He has to be an enhancement to any set in which he appears at any cost
I did not know that! Thanks.