NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 07-27-2021, 03:54 AM
Peter Nordquist

Default Candy Cane “repacks”

Ebay seller wynnian (he may be on this forum) seems to have quite a collection of these candy cane packs from the 50’s for sale. He gives some good information on them, but I was just wondering what the good folks on Net54 would have to say? They don’t seem to be selling even though there are some stellar cards on the front or back (I.e. 1952 Topps Mays on front or Robinson on back). I realize he is asking a premium for those two but in some cases the prices seem quite fair.
So I am just looking for more info, discussion, stories from someone opening these (testimonies or disappointments), etc.
Thank you for your time fellas.
Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2021, 12:03 PM
David M.

These have been discussed many times and they are thought to be created much later after the year of the card's issue date. I would just advise not to pay more than the cards you can see and figure everything else is commons. If you want to open the pack anyway, then you'll get the fun of opening it and you might get a surprise (but I doubt it).

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 07-27-2021 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:34 PM
Peter Nordquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
These have been discussed many times and they are thought to be created much later after the year of the card's issue date. I would just advise not to pay more than the cards you can see and figure everything else is commons. If you want to open the pack anyway, then you'll get the fun of opening it and you might get a surprise (but I doubt it).

Ok. Any link to previous discussions on this topic would be appreciated? Thanks for responding.

Old 07-28-2021, 09:03 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Completely repacks from the late 70s at the earliest and yesterday at the latest (and most likely). These have been taking advantage of people for decades.

just looking at them you can tell that they are 3s and 4s at best, look at how fake the 52 pack is...the aging on the visible cards is not even close and they are as different as night and day. It's the collation exactly the same as pulling two rando cards from a dollar box and dropping them in.

Anyone telling you they know the "signs" that these are legit are selling you a flood damaged Ford Pinto...run for the hills.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 07-28-2021 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:02 AM
Al Richter

Prior threads. Hope I do not get in trouble like in the last one

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...mas+rack+packs

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...mas+rack+packs

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 07-28-2021 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:05 AM
Peter Nordquist

This is incredibly helpful to this new guy on the block. Very appreciated gentleman- thank you!

Old 07-30-2021, 10:27 AM
Peter Nordquist

I see now as well that I am “that guy” who asked the same question and 2 years ago Matt was “that guy” and so on… what I get is that these are novelty items and repacks. What I don’t understand is if the guy on ebay is selling one with a ‘52 Mays on top and a ‘52 Robinson on the back of another is there a problem with buying them for that card only?
Obviously I am not paying $20k for one but say he goes down to a psa 4 comp price for the Mays (very very doubtful nigh impossible but for the sake of the rehashed convo), is that a bad buy in any way? The card is real and it looks nice enough to grade so that would be a good purchase no? After this question I’m done on the topic- sometimes I just need it spelled out. Thanks fellas.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:31 AM
Peter Nordquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Completely repacks from the late 70s at the earliest and yesterday at the latest (and most likely). These have been taking advantage of people for decades.

just looking at them you can tell that they are 3s and 4s at best, look at how fake the 52 pack is...the aging on the visible cards is not even close and they are as different as night and day. It's the collation exactly the same as pulling two rando cards from a dollar box and dropping them in.

Anyone telling you they know the "signs" that these are legit are selling you a flood damaged Ford Pinto...run for the hills.

So you are saying the cards are fakes themselves even or just that the repacks are garbage?

Old 07-30-2021, 11:00 AM
David M.

I don't think anyone has suggested they aren't real Topps cards from the year issued. But if you buy a pack, just don't expect much more than you can see from the outside. All the other cards will be commons. You can look up pack breaks on YouTube of people that have taken a chance and purchased these Xmas packs.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:23 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjere View Post
So you are saying the cards are fakes themselves even or just that the repacks are garbage?
Real cards, but couldn't be packaged originally. If you want to buy the Mays pack knowing that you're getting a real Mays, go ahead. Just don't think that Topps created that pack in 1952 or anytime, since they were done by someone liquidating cards in a basement.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:45 AM
Al Richter

These things are still being churned out today. But the mystery and interesting thing to me is where and when did they first originate and were they ever really sold at retail and if so when and where. Did some 3d party at some time get a consignment of returned or store room cards from Topps that they packed in Christmas stockings and sold at some retail store(s), and if so in what year(s) and what stores ?

The fact Murphy and Mathews who seemed to be the first to surface them could not or would not provide specific info about from whom and how they were obtained makes the whole retail story suspect. But there have been people in some threads over time who claim to remember buying them in some retail store many years ago. However nothing concrete has surfaced that I have seen

I especially like the online tutorials that offer advice on how to know if you have an "original" Christmas pack or a latter production piece by analyzing the staples and placement of the candy canes

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 08-01-2021 at 10:46 AM.