NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-29-2013, 03:15 PM

Default Johnny Mize Red Man ad

I purchased a Johnny Mize Red Man ad. It's in printed in a paper like stock. It measured 11" W x 15.5" H. The color and condition are like new, only with slight discoloration. How do I tell the difference between a re-print and genuine Red Man ad? I know most of the re-prints are on card boards. Attached are front and back pictures. It is in a plastic cover. Thank you in advance.
Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131029_165527[1].jpg (76.1 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg 20131029_165537[1].jpg (70.5 KB, 250 views)
Old 10-29-2013, 03:31 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I think yours is real. The real ones are on paper, like poster paper, and all the reprints I've seen are on cardboard. Also, the real ones have crisp graphics and bright colors like yours, while the reprints are faded out. The reprinters probably made the reprints from online pictures, rather than scanning an in hand original-- thus the lesser quality graphics.

Last edited by drcy; 10-29-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:09 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I purchased this a couple weeks ago and it has a few things going for it right size not on cardboard etc. but when I handled the paper it did not feel right not like posters from the early 50's that I have handled. This came from a printer not a repro hack but tough to get the paper right and this paper did not feel right. I went to Mall near me that had a repro and it looked exactly like this one from the back I have an Auto Red Man Johnny Mize card I wanted to display with this and wanted badly for it to be real . JMHO Jonathan
Old 10-29-2013, 04:12 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by mravk View Post
I purchased a Johnny Mize Red Man ad. It's in printed in a paper like stock. It measured 11" W x 15.5" H. The color and condition are like new, only with slight discoloration. How do I tell the difference between a re-print and genuine Red Man ad? I know most of the re-prints are on card boards. Attached are front and back pictures. It is in a plastic cover. Thank you in advance.
Eric
Eric, at 12:24pm today, you stated you received it and, I quote,
"Received it today. It took me 10 min to unpack it. What a beautiful piece!" And then you post it on here asking how to tell the difference between a reprint and a real one??????

Shouldn't you have done the research on the front side instead of asking on the back side?

Just curious

Greg
Old 10-29-2013, 04:19 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Greg I am going to take the hit for that. As I said I bought and returned this last week and let Eric know when I saw his post. What I should have done is when I returned it is posted on this site my reasons. My apologies and as I said just my opinion but the opinions of other members has helped me in the past and I feel I owe it to the board to speak up when I have one that can help someone else. Jonathan
Old 10-29-2013, 05:41 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Default Mize Red Man ad

This is real. Bottom line. It's funny how this was for sale for a long time on the BST. I almost bought it myself. Not sure why all the discussion about being a repro. It's a nice piece especially for the money.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Scott

Its pretty poor to buy something, say its great,then ask for opinions. Plus, Tony is above board all the way. I would have bought it if I could have afforded it.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:15 PM
Tony Quinn

Default My side...

I feel it's time to chime in. I don't know Jonathan other than he bought this item from me. He expressed some concerns about it's authenticity and I refunded his money. I did not offer this information publicly as in this case he is dead wrong. My father has been the sole owner of this piece for MANY years (way before repros were being done). I intimated this info to him but still insisted it was not real. Again, I don't know Jonathan, but I do know my father. He has been a collector/dealer for over 50 years and trust him implicitly. If he says it's real, it's real, 100% no doubt about it. I have NEVER had even 1 of his items returned or even questioned.. Jonathan even told me when he asked to return it that he had nothing in his possession to compare it to. He wanted me to have it authenticated. Now at a $75 purchase price, who would do that? I can't even imagine the cost incurred to have that done. I guarantee any item for life.
I hope that clears up any questions, if not, contact me directly.
Thanks for listening,
Tony
Old 10-29-2013, 06:18 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
I feel it's time to chime in. I don't know Jonathan other than he bought this item from me. He expressed some concerns about it's authenticity and I refunded his money. I did not offer this information publicly as in this case he is dead wrong. My father has been the sole owner of this piece for MANY years (way before repros were being done). I intimated this info to him but still insisted it was not real. Again, I don't know Jonathan, but I do know my father. He has been a collector/dealer for over 50 years and trust him implicitly. If he says it's real, it's real, 100% no doubt about it. I have NEVER had even 1 of his items returned or even questioned.. Jonathan even told me when he asked to return it that he had nothing in his possession to compare it to. He wanted me to have it authenticated. Now at a $75 purchase price, who would do that? I can't even imagine the cost incurred to have that done. I guarantee any item for life.
I hope that clears up any questions, if not, contact me directly.
Thanks for listening,
Tony
Agreed, Tony. I have had several transactions with you and EVERY one of them have been above board and smooooooooth!!!
Old 10-29-2013, 09:39 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I don't know Tony personlly, but I am familiar with his father. Being his father holds the # 1 priority booth (I believe) for the National Sports Collectors Convention, I think he might know a thing or two about vintage sports memorabilia and have some authentic pieces. I am just venturing a guess.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:55 PM
Louis
Louis Wi.ese

I've always found Tony to be fair and honest. Sounds to me like the buyer talked himself out of a desired piece at a great price.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:02 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Tony, please let me know if this guy returns this piece. I will buy it from you. Thanks, Jason
Old 10-29-2013, 10:13 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Well I clearly do not understand why anyone would think it is "Pretty Poor" to ask a question about a piece of baseball memorabilia on Net 54. It seems NET54 is a great place to ask such a question. Eric's question was clear: What should he look for to tell if a 1954 Johnny Mize Redman poster is real or a reproduction?
1950's advertising posters are not the focus of my collecting but I have handled a few in fact large format Baseball memorabilia from the 1890's to the present covers my walls. I worked for a couple of years for Denny Eckes who was a chemical engineer and hobby pioneer who began my schooling in printing techniques. I would not have purchased the poster if it did not look good in scan and more importantly if Tony did not have such a good reputation selling. But when I handled the poster the Paper was not the consistency I would expect from a window poster of that age. That comprised with the large amount of Mize fakes that have and continue to come to market made me question this poster. REALLY nothing personal look on ebay there are plenty of Mize fakes some even come with good stories but good stories don't make them real. I ask Eric's question again how can he or anyone tell if this is real or a reproduction? a couple of folks have weighed in on the fact that it is real how did you come to that determination? How sure are you 80%, 90% more? Before I handled the poster I thought it was real. Please educate me and the rest of us as to how we can tell without handling the poster to authenticate it 100%.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:29 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Well I clearly do not understand why anyone would think it is "Pretty Poor" to ask a question about a piece of baseball memorabilia on Net 54. It seems NET54 is a great place to ask such a question. Eric's question was clear: What should he look for to tell if a 1954 Johnny Mize Redman poster is real or a reproduction?
1950's advertising posters are not the focus of my collecting but I have handled a few in fact large format Baseball memorabilia from the 1890's to the present covers my walls. I worked for a couple of years for Denny Eckes who was a chemical engineer and hobby pioneer who began my schooling in printing techniques. I would not have purchased the poster if it did not look good in scan and more importantly if Tony did not have such a good reputation selling. But when I handled the poster the Paper was not the consistency I would expect from a window poster of that age. That comprised with the large amount of Mize fakes that have and continue to come to market made me question this poster. REALLY nothing personal look on ebay there are plenty of Mize fakes some even come with good stories but good stories don't make them real. I ask Eric's question again how can he or anyone tell if this is real or a reproduction? a couple of folks have weighed in on the fact that it is real how did you come to that determination? How sure are you 80%, 90% more? Before I handled the poster I thought it was real. Please educate me and the rest of us as to how we can tell without handling the poster to authenticate it 100%.
Check post #2
Old 10-30-2013, 05:23 AM
$teve O.

I have done MANY deals with Tony in the past,and hope to do more in the future.He contacted me with questions about an item he wanted to sell,making sure he the correct info before he listed it for sale.I don't think he would sell anything without doing his homework.He's a great person to deal with!!

Last edited by 39special; 10-30-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:23 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39special View Post
I have done MANY deals with Tony in the past,and hope to do more in the future.He contacted me with questions about an item he wanted to sell,making sure he the correct info before he listed it for sale.I don't think he would sell anything without doing his homework.He's a great person to deal with!!
+1. Tony has been up front and great to deal with for me.

As to the OP's question I don't think it is wrong for him to post. He didn't bash the seller or the deal itself. He seemed, in my opinion, to only be trying to educate himself on how to authenticate this item. For the most part this is why most of us come to NET54. To learn and to educate ourselves.
Drew
Old 10-30-2013, 06:50 AM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post

As to the OP's question I don't think it is wrong for him to post. He didn't bash the seller or the deal itself. He seemed, in my opinion, to only be trying to educate himself on how to authenticate this item. For the most part this is why most of us come to NET54. To learn and to educate ourselves.
Drew
I agree.I don't think the OP is bashing at all.I just don't want people thinking Tony isn't doing research and selling without knowing what he has.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:55 AM
Chris

Quote:

Drew
+1. Nothing wrong with the question. These pieces are widely faked, so I can see the concern in light of other board members' competing opinions. But, it doesn't look like there is anything wrong with the item. With the glowing reviews Tony has been getting, I'd put the thing in a frame, hang it on the wall, and not give its authenticity a second thought. Or, sell it to me for a substantial discount
Old 10-30-2013, 07:49 AM
Jonathan Sterling

If post number 2 is explains how to identify a real from a fake then please go and search Ebay "Johnny Mize Redman" and marvel at the crisp graphics, The the recent sale there for $31 from the seller who very carefully dose not say that it is from 1954 has a stunning image. No one including me is questioning anyone's reputation. What I am questioning is a blind faith in any one opinion esp. when that opinion has a vested interest in weather the item is real. When I suggested that Tony have the item looked at by a Third party that dose not just mean a TPG. a respected colleague at a show is a third party opinion. Yes some Mize fakes were on cardboard, others were the wrong size by 1/2 inch, The Good ones are right size on paper from a printer who knows what he is doing. My 52 year old eyes are not what they once were but my fingers still work pretty well not perfect never were. And I admit I have never run them across a real 1954 Redman Poster. But I have a 1952 and the feel was very different. If Tony's Dad had brought it along to his No1 Priority booth at the National anyone here think it would have sold for $65? No it would have sold for either $300 or $3.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:31 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I agreed with the seller as to authenticity, but also think it was fine for the original poster to post about the poster. As was said, inquiring about items is what this board is about. There were no accusations or even mention of the seller in the post.

Jonathan's comments and questioning are fine too.

My general rule of collecting is 'You don't have to buy anything.' Even if it is authentic, it you're uncomfortable with an item or have questions about its authenticity, it's fine, and often even prudent, to take a pass on buying it.

Last edited by drcy; 10-30-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:32 PM
Ben H*ds@n

Quote:

Drew
I agree with this post. I have completed several purchases from Tony and each purchase has been very professional. Tony is a great seller whom I would not hesitate to buy from again.