NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-14-2020, 04:56 PM
Jim H

E7EBE207-98E1-4A34-A4C9-FF6FCDAAE532.jpg

Added another 1960’s Detroit Tigers pin for my collection.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:37 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtigers65 View Post
Attachment 389213

Added another 1960’s Detroit Tigers pin for my collection.
Jim ,
I believe that pin is for the Clemson Tigers Baseball team, not the Detroit Tigers... I have seen it before..

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 03-14-2020, 06:38 PM
Jim H

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
Jim ,
I believe that pin is for the Clemson Tigers Baseball team, not the Detroit Tigers... I have seen it before..
Ugh! Glad I only spent a couple of bucks on it.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:51 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtigers65 View Post
Ugh! Glad I only spent a couple of bucks on it.
Thats good!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Old 03-18-2020, 03:13 PM
Rob

Quote:
Rob,
I had to think long and hard about the question you are asking what is real and what is fake. Lets try and clear some points up all pins are REAL! Now the real question is are all pins ERA real! I have collected pins for over 45 years and have a collection very large so I have been able to see many styles,,, It takes years sometimes to gain the knowledge and sometimes even an expert gets burned . Your first point is the Brown pin real yes, is it Era Real ( in my opinion ) NO. To many red flags keep it from being good. Second " one of a kind pins" yes do exist and are era real. Lets take Pierce ( We all know your a Giants collector) As was just pointed out to you Andy (andypcl) Hi Andy now owns that Pierce pin I have he has one. So now there are 2. Is it real Absolutely! Era real Absolutely! (I post Pics) It is black backed and union stamped. ( hard to see) I will have to ask Andy if his is also. Now comes years of collecting knowledge Wes Westrum so far I think Im the only one who has one and that will and can change size 2 1/8 union stamp No. Is it era real Absolutely! Why, other known 2 1/8 pins made in the same style just like this one.. Another Don Muller 1 3/4 inch in size union stamp No. Era real Absolutely! Why, others made in a similar style and also the back of the pin in construction is very consistent with era pins. Now here is era correct and not era correct( Pics) Roger Maris Salute pin. Home run chase in 1961 Both pins are real But only one is era correct.. The pin known as the "Pink box" version is rare but is era correct. The #1 is in pink. The second one Is it real? Yes .. Is it era correct No. Made 20 + years later. There are differences no pink number in the box, Different photo of Maris on the front. all the rest is the same... Pin is 3 1/4 inch in both cases BUT other than the front its the back that is the give away.. Real looks like a bottom of a coffee can the other is usually bright and shiny ( unless its been aged by other means) If you ebay that pin the much later version can be found for upwards of 300+ dollars. Worth about 50... Now fakes real fakes! Here is a Mickey Mantle Theresa brewer pin. Made in the 50s.. I have never seen a real one without the union logo on the back. Size 1 3/4 inch. Is the pin real Absolutely, has the pin been faked absolutely . There are good fakes and bad fakes ( bad fakes all red letters on front) then there are good fakes.. BUT no union logo on back and the small piece of the bat doesnt go around the curl of the pin to the back! (Pics) . Styles also change as to pin back construction. Here are some phillies pins are they era correct Absolutely. Are the backs made differently Absolutely. Same fronts but different style pins used. 2 have straight pins or spring pins the other 2 have what is known as Bayonette style pins. Bottom line is you really have to have collected these pins for a long time to gain knowledge as to what is really out there. I could keep going but will stop here for now!
Hey Al -

In this case, all but the bottom left 3 are what I call "parking lot pins"...i.e. sold, without licensing outside of Candlestick Park. They are hard to find, but not exceptionally so. There is only one more player pin I know of, but there could be more. I was wondering, do you consider these "real"? They are definitely period correct (1990-93). Will they have value in 50 years as "real" pins?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-03-15 02.57.32.jpg (83.2 KB, 605 views)
Old 03-18-2020, 06:46 PM
Al

Rob,
First let me say Yes the pins are real. Like I stated before all pins are real. Now in this case are they period correct (I would say yes) But the value here would be (in my opinion) really to a specific collector. I myself try and stay away from all pins made after and around 1969 give or take a few years. Most pins but not all made after that date really have small value but have more of a collector value. The value really lies in your heart as a true collector. If you are collecting them as a purist and for the love of your team they are priceless, BUT if your collecting them as an investment for later years my thought would be they wont be worth much more that you paid for them now... Now as to your last question in 50 years we will both be dead! So we will have to let history play it self out!

Old 03-19-2020, 11:10 AM
Rob

I think your take is spot on, Al.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I myself try and stay away from all pins made after and around 1969 give or take a few years. Most pins but not all made after that date really have small value but have more of a collector value. The value really lies in your heart as a true collector. If you are collecting them as a purist and for the love of your team they are priceless, BUT if your collecting them as an investment for later years my thought would be they wont be worth much more that you paid for them now...
I wish you would've been able to tell that to the person who outbid me on all three of these in the past six months on eBay for a collective total of around $700 .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vintage-ron-santo-chicago-cubs-1969_1_8165c5b81c0bcd8d989c52120875033b.jpg (71.2 KB, 565 views)
File Type: jpg pin front banks.jpg (65.9 KB, 575 views)
File Type: jpg 71 Williams 3.5 glossy pin.jpg (67.5 KB, 569 views)
Old 03-19-2020, 06:32 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
I wish you would've been able to tell that to the person who outbid me on all three of these in the past six months on eBay for a collective total of around $700 .
Cliff,
Like I said MOST but not All pins ... These (2 sets) see to be the not all... And if it makes you feel better I dont collect either of these sets! So it wasnt me!

Old 05-24-2020, 01:10 PM
Rob

Wow! This thread was buried.

Over in the pennant thread, Greg figured out an easy way to show a whole collection...Google photos. Here's basically my whole SF Giants pin collection, save for a few 6 inchers. The good, the bad and the ugly. If you have any I'm missing and are willing to sell, let me know!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dyeDbkonCnkVv4y89

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 05-24-2020 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:16 PM
Jim H

[attach]401561[/attac

David SB sent me these Tigers over the weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B1A0A21A-D561-439D-B1FB-57ED54B3FE1E.jpg (19.8 KB, 544 views)
Old 05-28-2020, 11:37 AM

Default Denver Bears / Grizzlies

I just picked up two incredible pins relating to the Denver Bears / Grizzlies. The Denver Bears (aka Grizzlies, Mountaineers & Mountain Lions) was a minor league team that played from 1884 through 1954. The 1911 Grizzlies were the Western League Champions and are considered one of the top 100 minor league teams of all-time.
One of the pins I just got is related to that 1911 team. It has a team photo but more amazing is the ribbon attachment. The pin is shown in the Muchinsky book (without ribbon).
The other pin is a homecoming pin for the 1923 Denver Bears. It pictures many of their players in individual cameos.
Any thoughts on their value would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Lou
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1AAAABEARS11A.jpg (7.2 KB, 513 views)
File Type: jpg 1AAAABEARS11B.jpg (66.9 KB, 514 views)
File Type: jpg 1AAAABEARS23.jpg (9.1 KB, 517 views)
Old 05-28-2020, 12:06 PM

Hi Lou,
Great Pins! Not sure about value but I'm pretty sure the 1923 button is actually the Northern Colorado Bears Football team coached by George Cooper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg George_E._Cooper.jpg (9.4 KB, 508 views)
Old 05-28-2020, 02:43 PM
Marc

Rob- I enjoyed seeing all of those Giants pins. I think my favorite was the anti-Dodger Boo-ribe.

Attached is recent pickup for me, a Chester Charge button from earlier days of the Astros. Apparently the Astrodome scoreboard was a big deal back in the day and Chester was a graphic that would "run" across the board when good things happened.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chester charge pin.jpg (69.2 KB, 505 views)
Old 05-28-2020, 03:22 PM

Hi!

i think you're right about it being a football pin.

Thanks for the info.
Lou
Old 05-29-2020, 12:34 PM
Mike Kendall

I picked up the second pose of the large PM-10 for Hank Bauer. Still missing Richardson, Boyer and Slaughter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12B3749F-CCAB-43B8-9726-A1A87EF7D7BC.jpg (9.5 KB, 482 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 05-30-2020, 05:58 PM
Jim H

Thanks Cliff Bowman for sending me these Tiger pins!
F8A2FE57-966E-48E8-B4A5-8B6FFC70A12E.jpg
Old 05-30-2020, 07:09 PM
Rob

No one is sending meanthing!

Old 05-31-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
No one is sending meanthing!

If I had that Billy Pierce or Mike Krukow pin they would be on their way . The few Giants pins that I have are the easily found ones.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:05 PM
Rob

Quote:
If I had that Billy Pierce or Mike Krukow pin they would be on their way . The few Giants pins that I have are the easily found ones.
You’re THE MAN, Cliff!

I got so hard up, I actually sent a letter to Krukow about a month ago.

On a good note, I got something cheap on ebay today that I’ve been looking for for 20 years! (not a pin).
Old 05-31-2020, 04:09 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Well, don't lave us hanging.... post it already, Rob!
Old 05-31-2020, 04:33 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Well, don't lave us hanging.... post it already, Rob!
No one will care....but I will post upon receipt.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:06 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Jerry Grote Pin

Hi Guys:

I don't collect Mets pins but can anyone tell me what set this 3 1/2" pin came from?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1374.jpg (76.5 KB, 414 views)
Old 05-31-2020, 08:02 PM

If anyone has a nice copy of the 1986 Baseball Star button of Dave Kingman and is willing to part with it let me know.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Hi Guys:

I don't collect Mets pins but can anyone tell me what set this 3 1/2" pin came from?
These are from WorthPoint. I would have figured they were a 1969 issue but the odd inclusion of Marshall puts them at 1970 or less likely 1971. No idea who made them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 69 mets ageefdddddddddddd.jpg (85.7 KB, 413 views)
File Type: jpg 69 mets clendenon.jpg (86.7 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg 69 mets harrelson.jpg (18.8 KB, 408 views)
File Type: jpg 69 mets jones.jpg (87.3 KB, 404 views)
File Type: jpg 69 mets marshall.jpg (29.0 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg 69 mets seaver.jpg (22.9 KB, 410 views)
Old 06-01-2020, 04:21 AM

Quote:
These are from WorthPoint. I would have figured they were a 1969 issue but the odd inclusion of Marshall puts them at 1970 or less likely 1971. No idea who made them.
I can tell you that I'm near 100% sure that a Nolan Ryan does not exist to this set. I've never heard/seen one in 48 years of collecting Nolan.
But, that being said, if anyone has ever come across one, I would love to know if one is out there.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 06-01-2020 at 04:24 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:09 AM

I know that the late 70's-early 80's numbered Sports Photo Pins are not at all popular and have virtually no mention here, but I have some mysterious ones that I was wondering if anyone else has any or if they know something about them. On the main series the highest number that I am aware of is #400, but I have seven Cubs pins that are from late 1984-early 1985, the format is different, and the numbers jump to high 700's-low 800's. Other than one of the Sandberg's they are high quality made. I have only seen Cubs. Does anyone know anything about these or have one from a different team? There is also a Ron Cey and a Bob Dernier but I don't have those. A board member graciously sold me the Durham.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1143.jpg (47.9 KB, 355 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1144.JPG (54.4 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1145.JPG (50.2 KB, 353 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 cubs pins 2.jpg (64.9 KB, 355 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600cubs pins 1.jpg (75.2 KB, 352 views)
Old 06-09-2020, 08:19 AM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
I know that the late 70's-early 80's numbered Sports Photo Pins are not at all popular and have virtually no mention here, but I have some mysterious ones that I was wondering if anyone else has any or if they know something about them. On the main series the highest number that I am aware of is #400, but I have seven Cubs pins that are from late 1984-early 1985, the format is different, and the numbers jump to high 700's-low 800's. Other than one of the Sandberg's they are high quality made. I have only seen Cubs. Does anyone know anything about these or have one from a different team? There is also a Ron Cey and a Bob Dernier but I don't have those. A board member graciously sold me the Durham.
These are a little different but came out in 1978 from Sports Pin Assoc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2B0A7FD3-AF19-40E0-8959-4E672F12346D.jpg (19.4 KB, 353 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Old 06-09-2020, 03:31 PM
Rob

Quote:
Another mystery! I have never seen these with the white autographs.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:35 PM
Rob

Apparently, they made the "black box" pins for football, too. News to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (75.8 KB, 295 views)
Old 06-18-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Wow! This thread was buried.

Over in the pennant thread, Greg figured out an easy way to show a whole collection...Google photos. Here's basically my whole SF Giants pin collection, save for a few 6 inchers. The good, the bad and the ugly. If you have any I'm missing and are willing to sell, let me know!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dyeDbkonCnkVv4y89

This is a phenomenal collection!
Old 06-19-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Apparently, they made the "black box" pins for football, too. News to me.
When I searched for these on WorthPoint I ran across Plunkett several times, I think there was one of a soccer player but I can't remember his name.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 70 plunkett pin.jpg (65.7 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg 70 oj simpson pin.jpg (53.0 KB, 254 views)
Old 06-19-2020, 10:28 AM
Rob

Quote:
When I searched for these on WorthPoint I ran across Plunkett several times, I think there was one of a soccer player but I can't remember his name.
I don't think they made many of them.

That Pats jersey is great!
Old 06-23-2020, 07:56 AM
Aaron Ba.ne

#1 of 3x shadow boxes - took about 2-months to get the 'right' mix/fit.

Thought I would share!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_78969.jpg (88.1 KB, 209 views)

Last edited by ASpaceman; 06-23-2020 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:22 AM
Al

Very nice Aaron! Would love to see a bigger Pic!

Old 06-23-2020, 08:32 AM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASpaceman View Post

Thought I would share!
Great job! I’m with Al, my old eyes need a larger photo.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:22 AM
Aaron Ba.ne

My apologies; original post edited with better image
Old 06-23-2020, 09:38 AM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
My apologies; original post edited with better image
Much better. Thank you Aaron. Very nice array of pins including some very tough to find ones.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:42 AM
Al

Very nice Aaron ... some very nice pieces in there! Glad to see someone else that collects!

Old 06-23-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:

Thought I would share!
Holy smokes ! The second image is from WorthPoint just for clarity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 54 kiner.jpg (48.6 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg 54 kiner 2.jpg (48.8 KB, 208 views)
Old 06-23-2020, 10:18 AM

Great pins Aaron -- now let's see boxes 2 and 3!

Greg
Old 06-23-2020, 10:42 AM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
Great pins Aaron -- now let's see boxes 2 and 3!

Greg
+1

Old 06-23-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:

Thought I would share!
There is a Al Kaline 1968-69 Detroit Tigers Iron-On Transfer promo pin that matches my Ron Santo 1969 Chicago Cubs Iron-On Transfer promo pin in the upper left corner, I didn't know the Kaline existed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 68 kaline.jpg (22.8 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg 69 santo transfer pin.jpg (46.7 KB, 206 views)
Old 06-23-2020, 12:45 PM
Al

Quote:
There is a Al Kaline 1968-69 Detroit Tigers Iron-On Transfer promo pin that matches my Ron Santo 1969 Chicago Cubs Iron-On Transfer promo pin in the upper left corner, I didn't know the Kaline existed.
Funny Cliff I knew there was a Kaline transfer pin but never knew there was a Ron Santo transfer until you posted that pin awhile ago, I think in this thread somewhere. By the way the Kaline is listed in Pauls book....

Old 06-23-2020, 02:38 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:

Thought I would share!
Love it!
Old 06-23-2020, 02:39 PM
Aaron Ba.ne

Thanks for the compliments, Gents.

Give me a month or 2 on the other 2x - I've been staring at an office floor of pinbacks for the better part of quarantine

The hobby is about people.

I was lucky to have a couple of really kind & helpful collectors show me the ropes when I first started collecting pins 15-or-so years ago. I remember seeing Mike Hoevet's glass coffee table of pins/celluloids and thinking "THAT is what I want in my office". I was lucky enough to be able to tell him that prior to his passing (RIP). Collections inspire; thus - why I shared a meager photo of mine.

I've frequented this board (inc pre-net54) for close to 20-years. Thanks All for sharing your stuff. A lot of my drive to keep searching was fueled by many of the pieces/conversations/etc. you all have enriched me with.

Thanks + cheers!

PS. Al, that Haddix of yours would look awfully nice hidden amongst there, no? If you ever sell, FYI - I should've kept it

Last edited by ASpaceman; 06-23-2020 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:27 PM
Al

Quote:

Give me a month or 2 on the other 2x - I've been staring at an office floor of pinbacks for the better part of quarantine

I was lucky to have a couple of really kind & helpful collectors show me the ropes when I first started collecting pins 15-or-so years ago. I remember seeing Mike Hoevet's glass coffee table of pins/celluloids and thinking "THAT is what I want in my office". I was lucky enough to be able to tell him that prior to his passing (RIP). Collections inspire; thus - why I shared a meager photo of mine.

I've frequented this board (inc pre-net54) for close to 20-years. Thanks All for sharing your stuff. A lot of my drive to keep searching was fueled by many of the pieces/conversations/etc. you all have enriched me with.

Thanks + cheers!

PS. Al, that Haddix of yours would look awfully nice hidden amongst there, no? If you ever sell, FYI - I should've kept it
Wow Aaron I forgot all about that! That was a long time ago! By the way I still have it in the collection! If I remember I think it cost me a pretty penny! But hay its only money!

Old 06-23-2020, 09:40 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:

Thanks + cheers!

I miss Mike...

The Memorabilia forum has never been quite the same since he left us.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:24 AM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I miss Mike...

The Memorabilia forum has never been quite the same since he left us.
Mark I totally agree! Was a very good man...

Old 06-24-2020, 08:34 AM
Al

Mark just for you a little tribute to our friend Mike, and a little push for the pin section. Mike was a big Cubs fan and always loved this piece I have! Enjoy Mike!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frank chance 1.jpg (50.1 KB, 175 views)