NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 07-14-2020, 11:30 AM

Default Found 9 1990 Topps Blackless Error Cards-Advise Needed

So I was cleaning out a closet to make room for some new cards and ran across an old shoe box with a bunch of “junk wax” inside. I found a card that look to have the same misprint as the Frank Thomas NNOF. The rest were put in the recycle bin. After looking it up and discovered there is interest in these cards. I decided to fetch them out of the trashcan and see what the value is. I listed one on eBay and the offers started flowing in. I (Edit: The big offer ghosted). I don’t know if this is a scammer or a legit offer. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to find any prior sale info on any of them. Another buyer told me they were worth $750 each. I don’t know who to believe. A local guy told me to get them graded and send them off to a high end card auction house as all my cards are super rare. Any info or advise would be greatly appreciated. I pulled these from rack packs I bought as a teenager in Yokota, Japan.

BTW I found 2 Morris cards and one is for sale on eBay to finance the grading should I go that route. The pic was taken before finding 4 additional cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1990 Topps.jpg (45.3 KB, 349 views)

Last edited by HalfNipponese; 07-14-2020 at 11:59 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:48 AM

Here's a pick of the 8 different cards. I found 2 Morris cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1990 Topps 8.jpg (49.1 KB, 347 views)
Old 07-14-2020, 12:54 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNipponese View Post
So I was cleaning out a closet to make room for some new cards and ran across an old shoe box with a bunch of “junk wax” inside. I found a card that look to have the same misprint as the Frank Thomas NNOF. The rest were put in the recycle bin. After looking it up and discovered there is interest in these cards. I decided to fetch them out of the trashcan and see what the value is. I listed one on eBay and the offers started flowing in. I don’t know how serious one dealer is but I was offered $5000 each for the Fisk and Tapani. I was also offered $4000 for the Morris. I don’t know if this is a scammer or a legit offer. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to find any prior sale info on any of them. Another buyer told me they were worth $750 each. I don’t know who to believe. A local guy told me to get them graded and send them off to a high end card auction house as all my cards are super rare. Any info or advise would be greatly appreciated. I pulled these from rack packs I bought as a teenager in Yokota, Japan.

BTW I found 2 Morris cards and one is for sale on eBay to finance the grading should I go that route. The pick was taken before finding 4 additional cards.
Believe the guy who sends you a cashier's check for $4,000.

Why would you possible need to "finance the grading"?

We're sending trash to the opinion sellers now?
Old 07-14-2020, 01:39 PM

Grading will cost $75 per card due to the value of them. I'm just getting back into the hobby so I'm not sure it's worth it. Apparently these cards are from the same sheet as the NNOF Thomas and are extremely rare. I just found the thread on this site so I'll do some more reading up.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:43 PM

Great find!

Your Morris auction will give you an idea. It only takes 2 buyers with the $$.

I’ve probably purchased more of these cards in the past 2 years than anyone. Prices were 800 ish raw. Up to 1200 PSA 8. EBay says more, it doesn’t reflect the correct “make offer” price.

I’m excited to see the auction.

I’m still a buyer for your Hart and Fisk

Brian
Old 07-14-2020, 06:51 PM

Well I struck gold again. I found the McGriff in a box of my old sleeved cards.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:09 PM

Does anybody have a list of the black less cards?
Old 07-14-2020, 07:19 PM
Al Richter

See the Thomas thread adjacent to this one and the CU thread embedded therein. Everything you could want or ever need to know about these cards
Old 07-14-2020, 07:20 PM

Here is a photo of the whole sheet with the cards surrounding the NNOF Thomas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 609CABC8-8A74-4A23-BEB6-3C331B3C0B3F.jpg (20.2 KB, 323 views)
Old 07-14-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
See the Thomas thread adjacent to this one and the CU thread embedded therein. Everything you could want or ever need to know about these cards
Thanks
Old 07-14-2020, 07:30 PM

Here is the McGriff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46D300C9-A9C8-4F33-AAC7-6CFE0C62421A.jpg (14.6 KB, 325 views)
Old 07-14-2020, 07:49 PM

Did you pull a NNOF Thomas? If these came from rack packs can you imagine a nnof on top rack pack??
Old 07-14-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltlbvr View Post
Did you pull a NNOF Thomas? If these came from rack packs can you imagine a nnof on top rack pack??
I didn't but my best friend did on the same day in the same batch. At the time we didn't know anything about cards and were just chasing the Frank Thomas. We we were both pissed because we thought they were just printing errors. Unfortunately, I don't even know if he kept it. He didn't keep the others and just threw them away. I didn't realize I kept mine until Sunday and I'm pretty sure it was an accident. The cards were in a random box so my Mom must have set them aside for me. My whole life I would tell the story of my friend pulling a Thomas before it was worth anything. THANKS MOM!!!!!!

The weird thing is that they were all together. Every 3rd or 4th card was an error card. Some were back to back. All my cards came out of 3 or maybe 4 rack packs. My friend experienced the same. All the error cards were together and the experience made us switch to Donruss.

If anyone is doing research, I think we bought them in the first half of 1990. I know it was before the baseball season was over because we were planning on going to the MLB vs Japanese All Stars game.

Last edited by HalfNipponese; 07-14-2020 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:49 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

To get a more accurate example of sold prices, use 130point.com to see what "BIN/BO" really sold for. Even straight BINs can sell for cheaper if the buyer messages the seller, then the seller sends a counteroffer from their messaging system. Artificially inflates the "sold for" price, but there are a few sites that can defeat that disguise.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
To get a more accurate example of sold prices, use 130point.com to see what "BIN/BO" really sold for. Even straight BINs can sell for cheaper if the buyer messages the seller, then the seller sends a counteroffer from their messaging system. Artificially inflates the "sold for" price, but there are a few sites that can defeat that disguise.
Thanks!

The site said both the Jackson and Franco sold for the fixed prices of $4700 each. Both sold in the last few months.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:49 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

I would still be wary in trusting them. Cards are frequently bid up to a crazy sales price and then the transaction is not actually followed through. Just to set a price for the next few to march towards.
Good luck on yours.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
I would still be wary in trusting them. Cards are frequently bid up to a crazy sales price and then the transaction is not actually followed through. Just to set a price for the next few to march towards.
Good luck on yours.
Thank you for the info. Most people have been great. I was very naive a couple days ago but have since learned that valuable items attract bad actors. At the time of the discovery I assumed dealers were the way to go for info. Now I know forums are the best bet for honest information.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:26 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Sell to the guy posting with 4 total posts on n54 the ones he wants.

I cant imagine these cards warrant anywhere near those prices. 52 topps errors dont even bring that money. Auction the rest at 99 cents as anybody searching for them will not miss them in a true auction, and its found money.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 07-15-2020, 03:51 PM
Al Richter

I have no idea what such cards would sell for in an honest auction. The Thomas goes for big money ( the only one I have), but that CU thread had a cult following with many wanting to have the "set", and many of those collectors might not give squat for the 52 variant/ error cards you and I get excited about , Ted. Something for everyone in this hobby
Old 07-15-2020, 03:56 PM
Al Richter

Mr Thomas

Old 07-15-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Sell to the guy posting with 4 total posts on n54 the ones he wants.

I cant imagine these cards warrant anywhere near those prices. 52 topps errors dont even bring that money. Auction the rest at 99 cents as anybody searching for them will not miss them in a true auction, and its found money.
I posted 1 of the doubles of Morris I have just to see what the market is like. It bid up to a couple hundred the first day or so. I also have fielded private offers via messages. I forgot how great the collecting community is. It's exciting to be back in it with something so unusual.

Also, I found several more sheet F errors that aren't reported by PSA or Beckett. They have all the major ones but it looks like there are a few more. I'm going to be posting pictures on the other forum for the researchers.

Last edited by HalfNipponese; 07-15-2020 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:36 PM

Here are some updated photos for those with less keen eyes like myself. Comparing them to the regular card hopefully shows why these are so unusual. These are the most obvious errors of the cards I have. Notice the black and white backgrounds behind the players.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fisk.jpg (12.8 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg Franco.jpg (14.3 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg Mcgriff.jpg (13.6 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg Russell.jpg (13.6 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg Map.jpg (77.2 KB, 198 views)

Last edited by HalfNipponese; 07-17-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:01 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Just to close the loop on this, the buyer of the two supposedly $4,700 each cards on eBay actually only paid $2000 for the pair.

Quote:
Ltlbvr Posts: 32 ✭✭June 28, 2020 7:38PM
Thanks West22. I’d love if a Fisk or Hart came up for auction .

I’m the buyer on the recent eBay sales. I’ve paid between 800 - 1200. I understand most would say that’s way too much. But, the bottom line is these cards are rare.

I’m excited to have collected what I’ve got - but would love to find Fisk and Hart.

We all collect because it’s fun. And, this thread early is incredible.
https://forums.collectors.com/discus...mment_12646248

I reported the error to the Auction Priced Realized site, so that should get deleted from their sales page.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:57 PM
Al Richter

Thanks John
Old 08-22-2020, 08:02 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

And after reading back through the thread, the buyer was the poster with 4 posts who Ted made jokes about, I guess.