NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-10-2014, 08:29 PM
Luke Lyon

Default Show 3 of your favorite pre-war cards - A little different this time

I love seeing everyone's favorite cards, and I haven't started one of these in awhile, so here goes:

Here are the rules:

1st card: Your absolute favorite card (or if you have a bunch of favorites just pick one of them)

2nd card: A card that has sentimental value to you

3rd card: Your favorite card with a value of less than $50

The Cobby is my favorite. My mom gave me Snodgrass and a Speaker t206 when I was like 12. She passed away a little over 10 years ago, and they remind me of her when I thumb through my collection. I love over-sized and mis-cut t206s and this Lake is my favorite in my small oddball collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg august pics 693.jpg (73.8 KB, 589 views)
File Type: jpg 20140910_191514.jpg (73.4 KB, 591 views)
File Type: jpg 20140910_191504.jpg (71.3 KB, 589 views)
Old 09-11-2014, 01:39 PM

Alright Luke, no one else is playing along so I will. Never really thought about my favorite cards much - there are so many.

1st card: Your absolute favorite card

1923 M114 Sporting News Premiums New York Yankees - as a die hard Gehrig Fan, this is the earliest card/premium that shows Gehrig, two years before the W590 and 1925 Exhibit. Not a card per se, but I think premiums count. This would probably be the last item to leave my collection even though it probably isn't worth that much:

When my brother-in-law was courting my sister, he let me go through and inventory all his cards (which was fun to me as a high schooler). Afterwards, he gave me a few cards to keep for doing it, including this 1968 Topps Superstars. He died tragically about ten years ago, and I had BVG slab three of his cards up with special pedigree labels - this one for myself, and two others for his daughters who were 8 and 6 when he died:

Totally cheating on this one, as the value is probably like $800, but I technically paid $50 for it (long story I won't get into). This is a hand drawn sketch card of Wolverine by an uber-talented artist named "Nar!". The intricate detail is incredible, and it will always be in my collection, even if I liquidated everything else. He even painted the back of the card in white-out! Sorry, not sports and not pre-war, but certainly one of my most favorite cards ever.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I will play too. Looking down my list I have a ton of favorites, so here is one I have always liked a lot, hence the reason I kept it as my last 19th Century card..

I don't know if any have real sentimental value but this E90-2 was the first card of over 700 I acquired from the Trucker Boy find. No one bid on this for 1.5k on ebay....then the seller put it up again and we made a deal for it at 1k. The rest is history...

and I don't know what this Paramount Clothes Premium would be worth, but not much, and I like it as it's not often seen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phunc1930clothes.jpg (74.2 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by Leon; 09-13-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:57 PM
Luke Lyon

Haha, thanks guys. Really cool cards. I'd say about half the topics I start go immediately to the thread graveyard, so this one is doing better than some
Old 09-11-2014, 08:38 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default the graveyard

Haha Luke,
Don't be so tough on yourself!
Your topics are cool, including this one. The thread graveyard happens a lot here, unless you want to criticize an eBay posting or crooked AH

I don't have easy access to my scans anymore or I would definitely post my 3 faves. In fact, maybe I will do that on the weekend when I will dig this thread out of page 3

J/k everyone...

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:53 PM
Ben North

I have not been collecting pre-war for very long so 1 card fits all 3.
It is by far my favorite pre-war card.
It was my first T210 Fort Worth player. Go FtW!
It is worth way less than $50
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wst210 001.jpg (77.9 KB, 410 views)
Old 09-11-2014, 09:31 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLyon View Post
I'd say about half the topics I start go immediately to the thread graveyard
Haha, I feel the same way... or worse, when I simply post in a thread and it dies. I literally had that happen when I posted in a thread and it somehow ended up in the "testing forum".
http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdi...=21&order=desc

No idea what that was all about, but I digress.

This one's tough because I don't have scans of most of my lower value cards and/or sentimental ones given me by my parents, etc. Here are a couple though...

2) sentimental--- this Babe was my first major/large purchase, coming from Simsclassicsports in 2000. I've been "all in" ever since. No coincidence- it came during my first solid paying summer internship, and I was living at home!
33 ruth149.jpg

3) under $50--- this Snider (photo'd with Willie and the Mick) is a favorite, also for sentimental reasons. My dad gave it to me while I was in HS. His favorite player growing up had been Snider (named his dog Duke) and my favorite vintage set at that point was '56 Topps (mainly cuz a kid in my middle school had traded a bunch of them for candy bars, Garbage Pail Kids, etc).
iPhone pictures backed up July 26 864.jpg

1) I'll come back to this one
Old 09-12-2014, 12:55 AM
Louie Michaud

Love the idea of this thread. Ok here's mine

1) Everything about the t206 Keeler captures what enthralls me when I think of the 'old days' of baseball. That bat with the thick handle, his glove in the back pocket, his weathered, stone-cold face, the fact that he chokes up...and the colors and the background and everything...just wow! I bought this one ungraded from Shoebox Cards a few years ago, and was thrilled that it got that half grade boost when I got it back from PSA.

2) This is the card that started it all for me. I was about 11, and was at a card show in San Leandro, CA (...a show that still happens bi-annually)...and with a $20 bill that I had saved up for a month I walked up to this really old guy who was sitting there with plastic folder after plastic folder of these beat up cards I hadn't ever seen before. I think I asked them why they were so small, and he told me they were from 1909, and my mind was blown and hasn't recovered since.

...continued below...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (66.6 KB, 353 views)

Last edited by Louieman; 09-12-2014 at 01:12 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:57 AM
Louie Michaud

...continued from above...

3) I think this Ott wouldn't be under $50 if it wasn't so beat up, but that's what I love about it. This thing has a life of its own. Rips, tape, creases...someone even drew a bat in pencil over the bat already there...I just like the fact it's gone through over 80 years of abuse and still looks great (at least to me!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (68.3 KB, 357 views)
Old 09-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Paul

Wife gave me this on our wedding day right after we got married, and while she was still in her wedding dress, and me in my tux...

Poor man's signed T206 card...

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 09-12-2014, 06:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Did you give her a George McBride?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Sean Brennan

here are mine:
my most valuable
1933 goudey ruth.jpg
sentimental: it was thew first deceased signed 1933 goudey I ever bought (when I was 13)
1933 goudey whitehill signed.jpg
my all-time favorite card (bought for $50 4 years ago)
t202 tinker evers chance.jpg
Old 09-12-2014, 08:11 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Did you give her a George McBride?
Ha!! Shoulda!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 09-13-2014, 12:27 AM
George E.

These two cards are what got me into pre-ward cards. So I suppose that qualifies them for this spot.

photo R313AMedwick_zpsd87bf407.jpg

photo Cobb1913.jpg

This was the prize of my collection when I was a kid. I sold mine, probably at its peak, back in '94, the only card from that era of collecting I made money on but I was sad to see it go. I picked up a new one when I got back into collecting a few years ago.

photo scan0009.jpg

I have owned this card twice, and will probably own it again someday... for a short while. When I bought it the value was way less than $50. But It has grown in value since then and is nearly priceless now.

photo IMG_1244.jpg

Old 09-13-2014, 10:45 AM
Bill Gregory

I love this thread idea, Luke!

Ok, here we go...

#1. My favorite card is my T206 Walter Johnson portrait. It's a card I even wanted when I was a kid. I bought an SGC 30 last year, and then upgraded it to a PSA 4 a few months back. It's from my favorite set, it's my favorite pre-war era player, and I think it's one of the most beautiful baseball cards ever made. I could see myself even upgrading to a PSA 5 someday, though doing so would take some serious cash. Still, I love this card, and look at it at least once a day, I think, if not more.

#2. My most sentimental pre-war card would also be my first.

Last June, I received a message from Pete Sycks. He told me that he saw a comment I'd made about looking for my first pre-war card. Out of the goodness of his heart, he offered to send me a T202 card for free. I gave him my address, and got really excited to get it in the mail. Unfortunately for me, I was quite a while before I could see it. The next day, I fell and broke my left leg above the knee, and was brought to the hospital by ambulance, and scheduled for surgery the next day. Three and a half weeks later, when I finally got home from the hospital, the card from Pete was waiting for me. It brought the first smile to my face in a long time, and I've developed a sentimental attachment to it. It was a reminder that even though a person might hit a bump in the road, there are always good things on the horizon.

#3. My favorite card under $50.

My first Goudey baseball card was this Earle Combs I got from Ryan, who has become one of my favorite sellers on the board. I was so happy to have my first member of the New York Yankees' famous Murderers' Row. I absolutely love the Goudey cards, especially the 1933 and 1934 sets. So, I will be working on these just a little more.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:01 AM

Default Incredible T206 Walter

Bill,

That Johnson portrait is incredible! What a great card!

Thanks for sharing!

Ryan
Old 09-13-2014, 12:03 PM
Brad Pencil

Default Here are my 3

My three favorite.

The Ruth/Ruppert is my favorite period, just a cool piece.

My sentimental is the Ruth signed postcard as it shows he's later in life but still willing to sign for fans no matter what and just shows how he appreciated what the game and the fans gave him.

The last isn't under $50 I know but I don't have any cards under $50 to be honest and just enjoy the card and the pose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruth_Ruppert.jpg (77.4 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg Ruth_Postcard.jpg (75.5 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg W517_Ruth.jpg (75.6 KB, 152 views)

Last edited by pencil1974; 09-13-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:04 PM
Val Kehl

(1) Absolute favorite pre-War card - I was going to pick one of my WaJo cards, but I can't decide on one. So, also being partial to cards of Virginia League players because I have lived my entire life in the Old Dominion, I chose the first E222 I ever acquired.

(2) Pre-War card with sentimental value - This is my first ever WaJo card, and, as best as I can remember, my first ever pre-War card. Bill Huggins traded it to me roughly 25 years ago, before he got into doing auctions.

(3) Favorite pre-War card valued less than $50 - No particular card comes to mind, so I chose a 1939 Paramount Clothes premium that is a companion to the one Leon showed earlier in this thread. The "S" on Vernon's jersey signifies the Springfield (Mass.) Nationals of the Eastern League, which was a Class A affiliate of the Washington Senators. Mickey Vernon (one of my childhood favorites with the Senators) batted .343 for Springfield that year, which resulted in a permanent ticket to the majors and a nice major league career.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E222 Hooker - front.jpg (77.9 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg E222 Hooker - back.jpg (79.9 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg T207Recruit-WaJo-front.jpg (51.3 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg T207Recruit-WaJo-back.jpg (52.1 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg 1939 Paramount Clothes - Vernon.jpg (72.3 KB, 126 views)
Old 09-15-2014, 02:22 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisguy View Post
Bill,

That Johnson portrait is incredible! What a great card!

Thanks for sharing!

Ryan
Why thank you, Ryan.

When I first decided to collect pre-war and vintage cards, I decided that I would own that card, no matter what.

Here is the first one I owned, next to my current one.

I have loved both equally. If I do decide to do one more upgrade, that would be a pretty major acquisition. It will be a while, though, as I have many cards I want to add to my collection.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.