NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for BSelling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 07-06-2020, 07:58 AM
bobbyw8469's Avatar
bobbyw8469 bobbyw8469 is offline
Robert Williams
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJDave View Post
I will gladly detail some of the screw ups if I do not hear back from Aaron in the next 24 hours or so. Again, not my intent to air dirty laundry nor cause him or his company to lose customers, but man up and fix your blunders. 600 lots in this last auction were from me......tons more never made it in.

Aaron - don't know why you are choosing to avoid me.....actually I do, because this mess up will cost you tens of thousands in commission on this last auction.

You have my number.....you've texted me plenty
You have my email......you've emailed me plenty

Just out of curiosity, what made you choose to consign with a brand new company as opposed to one of the more established companies?? Did they give you "an offer you couldn't refuse"??
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 07-06-2020, 08:51 AM
CJDave CJDave is offline
Dave
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 390
Default Crazy Unc

I went with a few auction houses...........I gave a large consignment to REA, another large one to LOTG, and a third to Crazy Uncles. I wanted to test the waters with all three.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 07-06-2020, 08:59 AM
bobbyw8469's Avatar
bobbyw8469 bobbyw8469 is offline
Robert Williams
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJDave View Post
I went with a few auction houses...........I gave a large consignment to REA, another large one to LOTG, and a third to Crazy Uncles. I wanted to test the waters with all three.
And the results of the three?? Just curious.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 07-06-2020, 09:11 AM
hcv123 hcv123 is offline
Howard Chasser
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 1,985
Default Kind of amazed

Perhaps someone could post a link to the thread related to Crazy Uncles first auction. It was discussed pretty heavily on these boards. HUGE problems - poor communication, no communication, no timely pictures, RIDICULOUSLY poor customer service - maybe I'm in the minority here, but "stuff does not trump all". Based on the original thread I made the decision not to do business with this company - while sad, it is not surprising AT ALL based on comments in the original thread that people are having issues. CAVEAT EMPTOR.
That all said - to CJDave and everyone else having problems this time around - I wish you timely and accurate resolution. I appreciate the sharing of all factual experiences and offer the same when I have them as the sharing in this community truly helps make more educated decisions.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 07-06-2020, 09:40 AM
CJDave CJDave is offline
Dave
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 390
Default 1914 Cracker Jacks

Hi Robert,

The auctions on REA and LOTG did OK but not as well as past auctions.....through no fault of the two auction houses. Just the timing with the pandemic and people out of work caused it to have less traffic than normal. Again the auction houses did a great job under the circumstances going on in the world.

As to Crazy Uncles, not so good the first time around but I believe in giving second chances......so I did.......I am no longer a believer in second chances !!!
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 07-06-2020, 12:15 PM
wilkiebaby11 wilkiebaby11 is offline
$téve VV1lk
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 1,547
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Recently, well 3 years now I think. Prisco made off with at least 60k via live auctioneers platform, 4k from me

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I remember that auction. About 5 successive auctions. I paid for the first auction and got a bogus tracking number that was never scanned in, hadnt paid for my winning in the second, but in the third auction they were auctioning off a 1939 Ted Williams Rookie that just so happened to be sitting in my PC. It was then I knew I had to call and I dont know why, but they refunded me, immediately, my payment from auction 1 and then barred me from bidding in any others. Prisco said he didnt have the cards in hand, that they were from a consignor who was sending him pics. I contacted LiveAuctioneers with all the evidence that he was runnning a scam, they DGAF.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 07-06-2020, 12:17 PM
wilkiebaby11 wilkiebaby11 is offline
$téve VV1lk
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 1,547
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
I can't speak to invoices, but I was pleased with my consignment prices.
Since you are here and people were questioning it, why'd your T204 Johnson SGC 2 disappear right after the auction closed?
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 07-06-2020, 12:17 PM
Republicaninmass Republicaninmass is offline
T3d $h3rm@n
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkiebaby11 View Post
I remember that auction. About 5 successive auctions. I paid for the first auction and got a bogus tracking number that was never scanned in, hadnt paid for my winning in the second, but in the third auction they were auctioning off a 1939 Ted Williams Rookie that just so happened to be sitting in my PC. It was then I knew I had to call and I dont know why, but they refunded me, immediately, my payment from auction 1 and then barred me from bidding in any others. Prisco said he didnt have the cards in hand, that they were from a consignor who was sending him pics. I contacted LiveAuctioneers with all the evidence that he was runnning a scam, they DGAF.
Yep, I win the green cobb psa 4. Never got a dime back

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
__________________
"Trolling Ebay right now" ©

NEED THE FOLLOWING 1952 topps

G TO VG-EX

(TONS TO TRADE, HIGHS LOWS, VARIATIONS, ERRORS)


322 RANDY JACKSON
329 IVAN DELOCK
343 DICK GERNERT
347 JOE ADCOCK
351 AL DARK
354 FRED HATFIELD
357 SMOKY BURGESS
360 GEORGE CROWE
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 07-06-2020, 12:31 PM
wilkiebaby11 wilkiebaby11 is offline
$téve VV1lk
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 1,547
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Yep, I win the green cobb psa 4. Never got a dime back

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I missed the first auction, which had many lots not reach a reserve (why he had a reserve on a scam, who knows) But in that second auction I won and paid for:
T206 Mathewson Portrait SGC 7
T206 Johnson Portrait PSA 7
(2) 33 Ruth SGC 5's

I was ecstatic. It was the fourth auction (your Green Cobb) where I caught him auctioning a card I possessed with pics from Heritage. He banned me from bidding in that and his 5th auction. Somewhere on my computer I have all the pics of the card in hand against the computer screen of the lot.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 07-06-2020, 12:35 PM
sycks22's Avatar
sycks22 sycks22 is offline
Pete Sycks
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkiebaby11 View Post
Since you are here and people were questioning it, why'd your T204 Johnson SGC 2 disappear right after the auction closed?
Great question that I don't have the answer to.
__________________
My website with current cards

http://syckscards.weebly.com


Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 07-07-2020, 09:38 AM
wilsonjc08 wilsonjc08 is offline
Justin Wilson
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 85
Default

I got 2 shipping confirmations with 2 different tracking numbers. Hmmmmmm.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 07-07-2020, 09:55 AM
ThomasL ThomasL is offline
Tho.mas L Sau.nders
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonjc08 View Post
I got 2 shipping confirmations with 2 different tracking numbers. Hmmmmmm.
Did your invoice on their website get updated? If so does it also show multiple tracking #s at the top right corner?

Last edited by ThomasL; 07-07-2020 at 09:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 07-07-2020, 10:52 AM
ruth-gehrig ruth-gehrig is offline
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,681
Default

Aaron was on the board an hour ago. Did he clear anything up?
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 07-07-2020, 08:22 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 29,207
Default

Sort of testing our system right now...but I did get a tracking number a few days ago....
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 07-08-2020, 02:38 PM
Pat R's Avatar
Pat R Pat R is offline
P@trick R.omolo
member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,497
Default

Won one card it took five days to get an invoice.
Paid the invoice and six days later it still shows that I owe for the card.
$12 shipping on a $48 card.
I was charged 8.75% sales tax should be 8%.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 07-08-2020, 08:16 PM
MCyganik MCyganik is offline
M@++ Cyganik
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Boston
Posts: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
Won one card it took five days to get an invoice.
Paid the invoice and six days later it still shows that I owe for the card.
$12 shipping on a $48 card.
I was charged 8.75% sales tax should be 8%.
My email invoice via PayPal says paid, but it doesn’t show up on my account on their website. I emailed them to clarify a confirmation and a confirmation of the shipping address but I haven’t gotten a response.

I won one card for $25, which was $30.25 after buyers premium. I got charged $14 shipping for the one card so it came to $44.25. I don’t dabble in many auction houses, especially upstart ones, so I’ve come to expect costly fees etc from them and don’t expect to get my items quickly because I’m small potatoes.

But reading all of this makes me wonder if I ever will see this card, or if it will eventually end up as a refund. Definitely interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 07-08-2020, 08:35 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 29,207
Default

FWIW this came in the mail yesterday...from them
__________________
Leon Luckey

Last edited by Leon; 07-08-2020 at 08:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 07-08-2020, 08:35 PM
wilkiebaby11 wilkiebaby11 is offline
$téve VV1lk
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 1,547
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCyganik View Post
My email invoice via PayPal says paid, but it doesn’t show up on my account on their website. I emailed them to clarify a confirmation and a confirmation of the shipping address but I haven’t gotten a response.

I won one card for $25, which was $30.25 after buyers premium. I got charged $14 shipping for the one card so it came to $44.25. I don’t dabble in many auction houses, especially upstart ones, so I’ve come to expect costly fees etc from them and don’t expect to get my items quickly because I’m small potatoes.

But reading all of this makes me wonder if I ever will see this card, or if it will eventually end up as a refund. Definitely interesting.
Ive bid with them in all their auctions. They are certainly slow to ship, but I've always got my items.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 07-08-2020, 09:09 PM
wilsonjc08 wilsonjc08 is offline
Justin Wilson
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasL View Post
Did your invoice on their website get updated? If so does it also show multiple tracking #s at the top right corner?
No it has not. I did, however, receive a 3rd shipping confirmation email today with yet another tracking number.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 07-08-2020, 09:37 PM
Kidnapped18 Kidnapped18 is offline
Ton.y Be.ll
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Alabama
Posts: 18
Default

CJDave

I know a few of the cards you are talking about! I was extremely surprised that the Frank Smith card only went for $300!!
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 07-09-2020, 02:02 AM
brianp-beme's Avatar
brianp-beme brianp-beme is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
FWIW this came in the mail yesterday...from them
I love the pose, but E106 players quite often applied their lipstick during earthquakes.

Brian
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 07-09-2020, 08:49 AM
CJDave CJDave is offline
Dave
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 390
Default

That pales in comparison to some of the incorrect pricing !!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 07-09-2020, 12:30 PM
CJDave CJDave is offline
Dave
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 390
Default Crazy Unc

OK GUYS........GLOVES ARE OFF!!!!!

AARON JUST CALLED ME AND THREATENED TO SUE ME FOR SLANDER IF I SAY ANYTHING ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED IN THE LAST AUCTION TO YOU FOLKS ON NET54.

AARON - I HOPE YOU ARE READING THIS.............GO FOR IT !!! YOU MENTIONED THE ATTORNEY GENERAL WAS A PERSONAL FRIEND......LET'S SEE !!!

And your statement that you have a legal background and mentioned that you are completely diverse in slander laws is comical to say the least since even a first year law student knows Libel is a defamatory statement that is written. Slander is a defamatory statement that is oral. But I am sure you knew that......didn't you???
Furthermore, a person who wishes to successfully sue you for libel must generally prove the statement is false. Everything I have on you is factual !!!!!

WOULD ANYONE HERE LIKE TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED IN THIS PAST AUCTION AND HOW AARON COMPLETELY SCREWED ME???????? I CAN DETAIL NUMEROUS SCREWUPS!!!! AND HOW IT COST ME HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN A SCREW UP!!!

And what could he have done so wrong that would cause him to send me this email: That said, we should handle this privately. In regard to your satisfaction as a customer, we blew it... I truly am sorry, I didn't want to have our relationship end after this auction and never on a bad note.

See Aaron.....that's a copy/paste from an email. Makes it's factual......can't be libel (or as you call it slander) if it's true !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 07-09-2020, 12:36 PM
bobbyw8469's Avatar
bobbyw8469 bobbyw8469 is offline
Robert Williams
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJDave View Post
OK GUYS........GLOVES ARE OFF!!!!!

AARON JUST CALLED ME AND THREATENED TO SUE ME FOR SLANDER IF I SAY ANYTHING ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED IN THE LAST AUCTION TO YOU FOLKS ON NET54.

AARON - I HOPE YOU ARE READING THIS.............GO FOR IT !!! YOU MENTIONED THE ATTORNEY GENERAL WAS A PERSONAL FRIEND......LET'S SEE !!!

And your statement that you have a legal background and mentioned that you are completely diverse in slander laws is comical to say the least since even a first year law student knows Libel is a defamatory statement that is written. Slander is a defamatory statement that is oral. But I am sure you knew that......didn't you???
Furthermore, a person who wishes to successfully sue you for libel must generally prove the statement is false. Everything I have on you is factual !!!!!

WOULD ANYONE HERE LIKE TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED IN THIS PAST AUCTION AND HOW AARON COMPLETELY SCREWED ME???????? I CAN DETAIL NUMEROUS SCREWUPS!!!! AND HOW IT COST ME HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN A SCREW UP!!!

And what could he have done so wrong that would cause him to send me this email: That said, we should handle this privately. In regard to your satisfaction as a customer, we blew it... I truly am sorry, I didn't want to have our relationship end after this auction and never on a bad note.

See Aaron.....that's a copy/paste from an email. Makes it's factual......can't be libel (or as you call it slander) if it's true !!!!
I'll bite....I am curious as to what transpired.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 07-09-2020, 12:50 PM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is offline
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 6,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I'll bite....I am curious as to what transpired.
+1 I would also like to hear.

Would also like to know what happened to the T204 Johnson SGC2.
__________________
NEED: 1959 Fleer Ted Williams #45 & #65 to finish my lower end ungraded set.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 07-09-2020, 12:52 PM
Aquarian Sports Cards Aquarian Sports Cards is offline
Scott Russell
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJDave View Post
OK GUYS........GLOVES ARE OFF!!!!!

AARON JUST CALLED ME AND THREATENED TO SUE ME FOR SLANDER IF I SAY ANYTHING ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED IN THE LAST AUCTION TO YOU FOLKS ON NET54.

AARON - I HOPE YOU ARE READING THIS.............GO FOR IT !!! YOU MENTIONED THE ATTORNEY GENERAL WAS A PERSONAL FRIEND......LET'S SEE !!!

And your statement that you have a legal background and mentioned that you are completely diverse in slander laws is comical to say the least since even a first year law student knows Libel is a defamatory statement that is written. Slander is a defamatory statement that is oral. But I am sure you knew that......didn't you???
Furthermore, a person who wishes to successfully sue you for libel must generally prove the statement is false. Everything I have on you is factual !!!!!

WOULD ANYONE HERE LIKE TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED IN THIS PAST AUCTION AND HOW AARON COMPLETELY SCREWED ME???????? I CAN DETAIL NUMEROUS SCREWUPS!!!! AND HOW IT COST ME HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN A SCREW UP!!!

And what could he have done so wrong that would cause him to send me this email: That said, we should handle this privately. In regard to your satisfaction as a customer, we blew it... I truly am sorry, I didn't want to have our relationship end after this auction and never on a bad note.

See Aaron.....that's a copy/paste from an email. Makes it's factual......can't be libel (or as you call it slander) if it's true !!!!
maybe he's conversant in the law, but I doubt he's diverse in it...
__________________
Check out http://www.birminghamauctioneers.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 07-09-2020, 01:06 PM
x2drich2000 x2drich2000 is offline
(DJ) Rich.ard.s
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJDave View Post
OK GUYS........GLOVES ARE OFF!!!!!

AARON JUST CALLED ME AND THREATENED TO SUE ME FOR SLANDER IF I SAY ANYTHING ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED IN THE LAST AUCTION TO YOU FOLKS ON NET54.

AARON - I HOPE YOU ARE READING THIS.............GO FOR IT !!! YOU MENTIONED THE ATTORNEY GENERAL WAS A PERSONAL FRIEND......LET'S SEE !!!

And your statement that you have a legal background and mentioned that you are completely diverse in slander laws is comical to say the least since even a first year law student knows Libel is a defamatory statement that is written. Slander is a defamatory statement that is oral. But I am sure you knew that......didn't you???
Furthermore, a person who wishes to successfully sue you for libel must generally prove the statement is false. Everything I have on you is factual !!!!!

WOULD ANYONE HERE LIKE TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED IN THIS PAST AUCTION AND HOW AARON COMPLETELY SCREWED ME???????? I CAN DETAIL NUMEROUS SCREWUPS!!!! AND HOW IT COST ME HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN A SCREW UP!!!

And what could he have done so wrong that would cause him to send me this email: That said, we should handle this privately. In regard to your satisfaction as a customer, we blew it... I truly am sorry, I didn't want to have our relationship end after this auction and never on a bad note.

See Aaron.....that's a copy/paste from an email. Makes it's factual......can't be libel (or as you call it slander) if it's true !!!!

I've been hesitant the last couple days to mention my conversation with Aaron on 7/7 as I really don't want to waste any more of my energy on it, But I will just simply add that our conversation also included what I perceived as a threat for slander/libel. I would also state, in my opinion, he doesn't care what the board thinks of his business or the impact . Furthermore, based on what he told me about the T204 Johnson when I asked about it and why it was not on the site any longer, I don't feel comfortable bidding in any more of his auctions.

Also, just to amuse myself, I tried locating the LLC on the NY Division of Corporation website and couldn't find it. For comparison, LOTG and Clean Sweep I found in seconds.
__________________
Current Wantlist:
E93 - Cobb
E92 Nadja - Bescher, Bridwell, Cobb, Crawford, Donovan, Doolan, Doyle (with bat), Evers, Kleinow, Lobert, Mathewson, Tinker, Wagner (throwing), Zimmerman
W554 - Anyone with any red backstamp, Fonseca, Klein, Rommel
E/T Young Backrun - Need E90-1, E92 black Crofts Candy, E92 Dockman, E101, T216 (all versions)
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 07-09-2020, 01:19 PM
Aquarian Sports Cards Aquarian Sports Cards is offline
Scott Russell
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,155
Default

It is depressing when a new operation gets those amazing items, which is a massive leg up in this business, and then blows it. Anyone who feels they got screwed consigning to CU please give me a buzz and I will do something special if you give me a chance to show you how a new(ish) small auction can be run well.
__________________
Check out http://www.birminghamauctioneers.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 07-09-2020, 02:10 PM
CJDave CJDave is offline
Dave
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 390
Default Crazy Unc

I'm glad you asked. And for the record, everything here is factual, no opinions and assumptions are being made.

Let me preface this by apologizing for being so long winded in my summary.

I put items in Crazy Uncle's first auction a number of months ago. Gave Aaron anywhere from $500K - $750K worth of items. Each item was detailed with a description and the reserve price I wish to be placed. Auction results didn't go so well but you never know. Many of the items failed to meet the reserve and thus did not sell. Some of the items unfortunately slipped through the cracks and sold even though there was a reserve on it. Aaron claims that was a computer glitch, apologized and said he would make it up to me on the next auction. That glitch cost me well over $10K which Aaron claims I said was only $3K or so. The figure was in fact $10K. And on a side note, I just finally got fully paid about two weeks ago from that auction that ended in March.

On to the next auction - I decided to give Aaron another chance. He still had quite a load left from the first auction, and I will estimate I gave him an additional $500K or so of sports memorabilia, historical memorabilia, coins, etc. He stopped by my office to pick the items up at which time I again gave him lists with descriptions of each item and my reserve price. He assured me there would be no more glitches and I would be fully protected. Generally the reserve does not show up until 24 hours prior to close of auction. Aaron was to call me the day before the auction close (Friday) to review the reserves and ensure none of my reserves were too high and if I would be willing to lower any. Come Friday Aaron contacted me that he would call me at the end of the afternoon to review the reserves. That call never occurred. On Saturday I checked the auction and saw there were no reserves showing. I called Aaron numerous times and no response. Finally he picked up and told me it was too voluminous to put reserves on 600 lots so we decided to not put them in. I am showing $250K in sales on items worth an estimated $750K. Everyone got the deal of a lifetime. Aaron now claims that he thought that list was the price I paid for the item......why I would I give him my prices??? His statement is BS as he knows those were my reserves, he knows he was to call me 24 hours in advance to review the reserves, he knows he had a glitch on the first auction and was told to be extra careful. This is just Aaron's feeble attempt to cover his ass......just come clean. You already admitted to me in writing that you blew this whole thing......why deny it now???

I emailed Aaron on 5 occasions instructing him not to release any item as he failed to honor my reserve price and protect my financial interest. I told him if he releases any item without my written authorization dated after the auction, he and his company will be held financially liable to compensate me for my FULL reserve price. He chose to send the items anyway against my objection.

Additionally, on the coins, there were complete sets (i.e. Indian Pennies, Franklin Halves, Commemoratives, etc.) that Aaron was given specific instructions to sell as complete sets and not split out. He chose to ignore my instructions and now claims he spoke to me about splitting the sets up.......this conversation never occurred as I would NEVER split out complete coin sets like that !!! Now individual coins were sold from sets leaving the complete sets 2/3 or whatever complete.....basically much less desirable.

Now here's the best...........while I am at work today I see on my home cameras that all the "unsold" items from the auction were dumped in front of my house.....about 30 feet from the street in plain view for anyone to see. I would estimate over $500K worth of collectibles were just put in front of my house, some in boxes, many just out in the open and easily distinguishable as to what the item was. While I cancelled all my meetings today and dashed home for an hour drive as fast as possible so that I could get these items inside and not stolen, I called Aaron repeatedly until he picked up. I asked if he was kidding me (I might have added one or two words in that sentence) and his response.......you said you don't want to do business with me anymore so here's your sh*t back. I told him those items were stored and locked away......not to be placed in front of my home in 95 degree heat. These are one of a kind historical documents signed by our founding fathers (Washington, Adams, Jefferson, etc.) and signed by Lincoln, Kennedy, every President and Vice President. Valuable coins that tarnish in this heat. 1777 priceless Ben Franklin Terracottas, 1914 and 1915 Cracker Jacks, Blacksox items, babe Ruth autographs, the list goes on and on. Had I not had cameras of my home on my computer, those items would be sitting out for anyone to steal and to be destroyed in this heat until I got home about 10 hours later. His response.......not my problem anymore.

What I have detailed above is factual and in no means libel. If this were falsities I am spewing, why would Aaron email me: That said, we should handle this privately. In regard to your satisfaction as a customer, we blew it... I truly am sorry, I didn't want to have our relationship end after this auction and never on a bad note.

Or why would he email me: I would like to work this out in private and would appreciate if you did not post again on the board about this - we can find a path forward not in the public eye. You would think if he did nothing wrong, why keep it private???

Now Aaron threatens to sue me for slander (which as I mentioned for a person who claims to have a legal background should know that slander is oral and libel is written). It's not libel if it's true !!! And from his legal background, he claims that my repeated emails to not release any items that he failed to protect me on with my reserves will not hold up in court and he is personal friends with the District Attorney so any attempt I make to pursue this legally will fail miserably. I didn't know Aaron had that much power as to make the DA bend to his will.

There are many people of this forum that have done business with me and know I am a standup person and I don't screw people over. I welcome any comments and I can elaborate further if anyone has any questions.

Thank you everyone for listening to this novel I just wrote.

Dave.

Last edited by CJDave; 07-09-2020 at 07:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 07-09-2020, 02:23 PM
bobbyw8469's Avatar
bobbyw8469 bobbyw8469 is offline
Robert Williams
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,454
Default

Wow!! Just wow!!! I don't have a dog in the race, but I am still dumbfounded as to why you would consign almost a 7 figure collection with a brand new auction house. Just the name "Crazy Uncle" alone would deter me from doing business with them. There are just wayyyyyy too many well established auction houses that would have loved to have consignments that large.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 07-09-2020 at 02:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 07-09-2020, 02:34 PM
CJDave CJDave is offline
Dave
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 390
Default Crazy Unc

Truth be told, I did also do a considerable consignment with REA and LOTG. Part of me wanted to give to the bigger auction houses, but part of me wanted to help out a starving new company.......I was there once and can respect someone trying. So I shared the wealth amongst three of them.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 07-09-2020, 02:38 PM
ThomasL ThomasL is offline
Tho.mas L Sau.nders
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJDave View Post
I'm glad you asked. And for the record, everything here is factual, no opinions and assumptions are being made.

Let me preface this by apologizing for being so long winded in my summary.

I put items in Crazy Uncle's first auction a number of months ago. Gave Aaron anywhere from $500K - $750K worth of items. Each item was detailed with a description and the reserve price I wish to be placed. Auction results didn't go so well but you never know. Many of the items failed to meet the reserve and thus did not sell. Some of the items unfortunately slipped through the cracks and sold even though there was a reserve on it. Aaron claims that was a computer glitch, apologized and said he would make it up to me on the next auction. That glitch cost me well over $10K which Aaron claims I said was only $3K or so. The figure was in fact $10K. And on a side note, I just finally got fully paid about two weeks ago from that auction that ended in March.

On to the next auction - I decided to give Aaron another chance. He still had quite a load left from the first auction, and I will estimate I gave him an additional $500K or so of sports memorabilia, historical memorabilia, coins, etc. He stopped by my office to pick the items up at which time I again gave him lists with descriptions of each item and my reserve price. He assured me there would be no more glitches and I would be fully protected. Generally the reserve does not show up until 24 hours prior to close of auction. Aaron was to call me the day before the auction close (Friday) to review the reserves and ensure none of my reserves were too high and if I would be willing to lower any. Come Friday Aaron contacted me that he would call me at the end of the afternoon to review the reserves. That call never occurred. On Saturday I checked the auction and saw there were no reserves showing. I called Aaron numerous times and no response. Finally he picked up and told me it was too voluminous to put reserves on 600 lots so we decided to not put them in. I am showing $250K in sales on items worth an estimated $750K. Everyone got the deal of a lifetime. Aaron now claims that he thought that list was the price I paid for the item......why I would I give him my prices??? His statement is BS as he knows those were my reserves, he knows he was to call me 24 hours in advance to review the reserves, he knows he had a glitch on the first auction and was told to be extra careful. This is just Aaron's feeble attempt to cover his ass......just come clean. You already admitted to me in writing that you blew this whole thing......why deny it now???

I emailed Aaron on 5 occasions instructing him not to release any item as he failed to honor my reserve price and protect my financial interest. I told him if he releases any item without my written authorization dated after the auction, he and his company will be held financially liable to compensate me for my FULL reserve price. He chose to send the items anyway against my objection.

Additionally, on the coins, there were complete sets (i.e. Indian Pennies, Franklin Halves, Commemoratives, etc.) that Aaron was given specific instructions to sell as complete sets and not split out. He chose to ignore my instructions and now claims he spoke to me about splitting the sets up.......this conversation never occurred as I would NEVER split out complete coin sets like that !!! Now individual coins were sold from sets leaving the complete sets 2/3 or whatever complete.....basically much less desirable.

Now here's the best...........while I am at work today I see on my home cameras that all the "unsold" items from the auction were dumped in front of my house.....about 30 feet from the street in plain view for anyone to see. I would estimate over $500K worth of collectibles were just put in front of my house, some in boxes, many just out in the open and easily distinguishable as to what the item was. While I cancelled all my meetings today and dashed home for an hour drive as fast as possible so that I could get these items inside and not stolen, I called Aaron repeatedly until he picked up. I asked if he was kidding me (I might have added one or two words in that sentence) and his response.......you said you don't want to do business with me anymore so here's your sh*t back. I told him those items were stored and locked away......not to be placed in front of my home. His response.......not my problem anymore.

What I have detailed above is factual and in no means libel. If this were falsities I am spewing, why would Aaron email me: That said, we should handle this privately. In regard to your satisfaction as a customer, we blew it... I truly am sorry, I didn't want to have our relationship end after this auction and never on a bad note.

Or why would he email me: I would like to work this out in private and would appreciate if you did not post again on the board about this - we can find a path forward not in the public eye. You would think if he did nothing wrong, why keep it private???

Now Aaron threatens to sue me for slander (which as I mentioned for a person who claims to have a legal background should know that slander is oral and libel is written). It's not libel if it's true !!! And from his legal background, he claims that my repeated emails to not release any items that he failed to protect me on with my reserves will not hold up in court and he is personal friends with the District Attorney so any attempt I make to pursue this legally will fail miserably. I didn't know Aaron had that much power as to make the DA bend to his will.

There are many people of this forum that have done business with me and know I am a standup person and I don't screw people over. I welcome any comments and I can elaborate further if anyone has any questions.

Thank you everyone for listening to this novel I just wrote.

Dave.
that's some serious dough
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 07-09-2020, 02:39 PM
CJDave CJDave is offline
Dave
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 390
Default Crazy Unc

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
I've been hesitant the last couple days to mention my conversation with Aaron on 7/7 as I really don't want to waste any more of my energy on it, But I will just simply add that our conversation also included what I perceived as a threat for slander/libel. I would also state, in my opinion, he doesn't care what the board thinks of his business or the impact . Furthermore, based on what he told me about the T204 Johnson when I asked about it and why it was not on the site any longer, I don't feel comfortable bidding in any more of his auctions.

Also, just to amuse myself, I tried locating the LLC on the NY Division of Corporation website and couldn't find it. For comparison, LOTG and Clean Sweep I found in seconds.


Seems like Aaron has a pattern of throwing out the slander/legal threat !!!
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 07-09-2020, 02:50 PM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is offline
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 6,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJDave View Post
Seems like Aaron has a pattern of throwing out the slander/legal threat !!!
He is far from the only one.

and thanks for telling your side of what happened.
__________________
NEED: 1959 Fleer Ted Williams #45 & #65 to finish my lower end ungraded set.

Last edited by bnorth; 07-09-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 07-09-2020, 02:59 PM
bobbyw8469's Avatar
bobbyw8469 bobbyw8469 is offline
Robert Williams
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,454
Default

So Aaron sold $750k worth of your stuff for only $250k? Do you think you will see the $250k at least?
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 07-09-2020, 03:02 PM
BRoberts BRoberts is offline
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 8
Default

I’m sorry this is happening to you.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 07-09-2020, 03:05 PM
ajg ajg is online now
Al G algae
alan go.uld
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: where it is warm
Posts: 78
Default

Dave, I hate to hear stuff like this. If I may ask what was your commission deal with Crazy Uncle? -10%? Just looking for the reason why someone would give 1m +/- worth of items to a new auction company.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 07-09-2020, 03:08 PM
CJDave CJDave is offline
Dave
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
So Aaron sold $750k worth of your stuff for only $250k? Do you think you will see the $250k at least?
Hopefully........but it took him until 2 weeks ago to fully pay me on the auction that closed on March 15th.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 07-09-2020, 03:10 PM
CJDave CJDave is offline
Dave
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajg View Post
Dave, I hate to hear stuff like this. If I may ask what was your commission deal with Crazy Uncle? -10%? Just looking for the reason why someone would give 1m +/- worth of items to a new auction company.

It was 5%. But with the guarantee that I would be protected with reserves, I thought that there would be no losses. I guess his greed and incompetence when it comes to business got in the way. And that's not libel either.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 07-09-2020, 04:06 PM
marzoumanian marzoumanian is offline
Mark Arzoumanian
member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 60
Default Listen to This Podcast, Dave

First, Dave, I want to say I am very sorry you went through this.
If it is any comfort, remember these four words: This too shall pass. Don't let this affect your physical OR mental health. Life is too precious.
Now to the point. Every week I listen to PSA's Great American Collectibles Show. The June 17, 2020 show (Podcast 189) featured none other than Aaron from Crazy Uncles. It is hard to pinpoint but I heard something in his voice, perhaps it was the hesitancy in it, the slight pauses, that signaled to me that I'll stick with who I currently use. There was also a bit of hype in his talk, but that's understandable; he's pumping up his June 15-27 auction.
Bottom line, you be the judge. I'm 64 so maybe my age also has something to do with planning to stick with the REAs of the auction world.
Somewhat ironically (if that's the right word!) I just wrote on my website, www.markearzoumanian.com, a two part blog (under "Love of the Hobby") on having a plan when selling your cards and sets and choosing the best auction house. I know this sounds like I'm trying to hype the website. Sorry. But if you can cull a nugget or two from what I wrote, it might be worth a few minutes of your time.
Enough said. When things go wrong for me, I always ask myself: What lesson did I learn from this?
Peace and stay healthy.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 07-09-2020, 04:37 PM
CJDave CJDave is offline
Dave
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzoumanian View Post
First, Dave, I want to say I am very sorry you went through this.
If it is any comfort, remember these four words: This too shall pass. Don't let this affect your physical OR mental health. Life is too precious.
Now to the point. Every week I listen to PSA's Great American Collectibles Show. The June 17, 2020 show (Podcast 189) featured none other than Aaron from Crazy Uncles. It is hard to pinpoint but I heard something in his voice, perhaps it was the hesitancy in it, the slight pauses, that signaled to me that I'll stick with who I currently use. There was also a bit of hype in his talk, but that's understandable; he's pumping up his June 15-27 auction.
Bottom line, you be the judge. I'm 64 so maybe my age also has something to do with planning to stick with the REAs of the auction world.
Somewhat ironically (if that's the right word!) I just wrote on my website, www.markearzoumanian.com, a two part blog (under "Love of the Hobby") on having a plan when selling your cards and sets and choosing the best auction house. I know this sounds like I'm trying to hype the website. Sorry. But if you can cull a nugget or two from what I wrote, it might be worth a few minutes of your time.
Enough said. When things go wrong for me, I always ask myself: What lesson did I learn from this?
Peace and stay healthy.

Thank you Mark for the words and the insight. Very expensive lesson learned. I just hope others read my post and decide for themselves if this is a company to work with. Not saying they should or shouldn't before Aaron threatens to sue me again........just saying weigh all your options and decide for yourselves !!!
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 07-09-2020, 06:06 PM
Bicem's Avatar
Bicem Bicem is online now
Jeff 'Prize-ner'
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,592
Default

Do you have the written/signed contract detailing the reserves/details?

Sorry this happened to you, unreal.
__________________
Please donate & help save a life...
https://www.humanesociety.org/
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 07-09-2020, 06:20 PM
bigfish bigfish is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,169
Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJDave View Post
Thank you Mark for the words and the insight. Very expensive lesson learned. I just hope others read my post and decide for themselves if this is a company to work with. Not saying they should or shouldn't before Aaron threatens to sue me again........just saying weigh all your options and decide for yourselves !!!

Dave, sorry you had to deal with this disaster. I have bought several nice cards from you and remember you’re meticulous spreadsheets and pricing.

Thank you for sharing this on the board. It will help us make informed decisions moving forward.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 07-09-2020, 06:26 PM
Arazi4442 Arazi4442 is offline
$cott Cl1nt0n
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 249
Default

Sorry this happened to you Dave. It's a genuine shame how some people conduct business in this hobby.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 07-09-2020, 06:31 PM
CJDave CJDave is offline
Dave
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arazi4442 View Post
Sorry this happened to you Dave. It's a genuine shame how some people conduct business in this hobby.


Amen
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 07-09-2020, 06:32 PM
CJDave CJDave is offline
Dave
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
Dave, sorry you had to deal with this disaster. I have bought several nice cards from you and remember you’re meticulous spreadsheets and pricing.

Thank you for sharing this on the board. It will help us make informed decisions moving forward.

Many thanks. I am honest with people, just hoping people would give me the same courtesy.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 07-09-2020, 06:58 PM
MikeKam MikeKam is offline
Mike Kaminski
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJDave View Post
Many thanks. I am honest with people, just hoping people would give me the same courtesy.
Did you consign the Al Capone piece to this auction?
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 07-09-2020, 07:00 PM
bobbyw8469's Avatar
bobbyw8469 bobbyw8469 is offline
Robert Williams
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzoumanian View Post
First, Dave, I want to say I am very sorry you went through this.
If it is any comfort, remember these four words: This too shall pass. Don't let this affect your physical OR mental health. Life is too precious.
Now to the point. Every week I listen to PSA's Great American Collectibles Show. The June 17, 2020 show (Podcast 189) featured none other than Aaron from Crazy Uncles. It is hard to pinpoint but I heard something in his voice, perhaps it was the hesitancy in it, the slight pauses, that signaled to me that I'll stick with who I currently use. There was also a bit of hype in his talk, but that's understandable; he's pumping up his June 15-27 auction.
Bottom line, you be the judge. I'm 64 so maybe my age also has something to do with planning to stick with the REAs of the auction world.
Somewhat ironically (if that's the right word!) I just wrote on my website, www.markearzoumanian.com, a two part blog (under "Love of the Hobby") on having a plan when selling your cards and sets and choosing the best auction house. I know this sounds like I'm trying to hype the website. Sorry. But if you can cull a nugget or two from what I wrote, it might be worth a few minutes of your time.
Enough said. When things go wrong for me, I always ask myself: What lesson did I learn from this?
Peace and stay healthy.
Mark...I ready your blog about what Dean at REA did for your 1968 Set!!! That is awesome!!! Most sellers wouldn't even go to that much trouble and would just sell the set as is. The fact that he was skilled enough to know what to look for speaks volumes.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 07-09-2020, 07:53 PM
marzoumanian marzoumanian is offline
Mark Arzoumanian
member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 60
Default Thank You, Robert

Glad you enjoyed the piece.

Dean is the man.

You know, none of us choose our parents. I will always be thankful that my late mom and dad provided me with a moral code to live by, NOT by the words they spoke to me BUT in their actions day in and day out, year in and year out.

Glad to see that Dean's parents provided him with a solid moral code, which I am sure he is passing on to HIS children.

It was a pleasure to tell the story.

Peace and stay healthy!

Last edited by marzoumanian; 07-11-2020 at 07:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 07-09-2020, 08:36 PM
hcv123 hcv123 is offline
Howard Chasser
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 1,985
Default Thank you for sharing

Really sorry you are going through this. I hope it is speedily resolved at least somewhat to your satisfaction. I have a couple of questions.

1) There is supposed to be a consignment contract when you consign material to an auction house - Reserves if any are written in as part of the contract (the sheets you reference attached and referenced would I believe have a similar binding effect). Do you have this paperwork? If so, I believe you would have significant grounds for a lawsuit. If not, why not?

2) I totally understand (and support) your desire to help out a new business - That accounts for the first auction experience. I am perplexed after the details of your first experience with them why there was a 2nd?
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It's CRAZY out there! clydepepper Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) 3 05-20-2020 06:31 PM
Would I be crazy if ..... scottglevy Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 8 10-21-2010 04:30 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:31 PM.


ebay GSB