NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-17-2020, 08:53 AM
James M.

Default Does The National Still Happen This Year?

I remember back in May the National getting rescheduled to mid December. I understand that we are roughly 5 months away at this point, but with Cases rising in many states, I have a feeling that it might be unlikely. It would be very difficult to maintain social distancing for all those people. Unless of course a Vaccine appears sometime between now and then, and even if that happens, I'd imagine at a minimum we'd be mandated to wear a mask if we go. What does everyone think?
Old 07-17-2020, 08:59 AM
Howard Chasser

Default If I were betting on it.....

I don't think its happening.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:40 AM
Scott Russell

My opinion hasn't changed since they announced the re-schedule. Not a snowball's chance in hell it's happening. Remember that they rescheduled to the middle of flu season. If we can't get our act together enough to cut the numbers while we have environmental advantages we are screwed when we are all forced indoors.

Signed,

Your friendly neighborhood predictor of doom.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-17-2020, 10:51 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

It's one thing to permit a gathering of 25 or 50 or 100 people in a public place . . . quite another to allow 4 or 5 thousand people to mill about the same enclosed convention space.

And how many retired players would want to hop a flight and risk a potential exposure?

Not happening.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:57 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Nope. I've asked the same question of a group of collectors and dealers recently and no one said they would attend. For that matter, no one is even willing to commit to the 2021 show unless there is a vaccine or effective treatment. Face it, most of us are fat, middle-aged men with pre-existing conditions, so we are at high risk. Only an @$$hole dies for baseball cards.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-17-2020 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:07 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Seems like the health risks posed by outside events are far lower. I'd certainly consider some kind of a show that was held in a giant open field kind of set up. And required masks.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-17-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:14 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Does The National Still Happen This Year?

Dealers have until August 1st to commit to the 2020 show or defer until 2021. I was still hoping to attend, but I'm beginning to get a little skeptical.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:21 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Face it, most of us are fat, middle-aged men with pre-existing conditions, so we are at high risk. Only an @$$hole dies for baseball cards.
Hey, I resemble that remark!

Dealers I'd say are probably past the middle age point on average.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 07-17-2020, 11:44 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Hey, I resemble that remark!

Dealers I'd say are probably past the middle age point on average.
And many are also past the point of just "fat"
I tease all our Net54 dealers.... now lower those prices!
Old 07-17-2020, 12:00 PM
Brock

I doubt it happens.. In the world that it does happen, I think attendance would be very bad.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:08 PM
Mike Dugan

Just received word yesterday from a Hall of Famer scheduled to do an event in August that he is not flying due to Covid and feels uncomfortable doing autographs at close range so he is staying home the remainder of the year.

Can't blame him, many of these gentlemen are over 70 now.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:11 PM
Al@n Kle!nberger

Quote:
Face it, most of us are fat, middle-aged men with pre-existing conditions, so we are at high risk. Only an @$$hole dies for baseball cards.
That's a deeply hurtful remark. Because it's true...
Old 07-17-2020, 12:32 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Seems like the health risks posed by outside events are far lower. I'd certainly consider some kind of a show that was held in a giant open field kind of set up. And required masks.
If it's in 95 degree heat with an approaching tropical storm, I know who the title sponsor would be...
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:59 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Its going to be virtual like the Deans card museum listings
Old 07-17-2020, 01:08 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

yes, should go on... mask for entry, tables set apart, social distancing not an issue in the cavernous hall... also if they can have all these protests and such without masks, national should be able to go on...now whether any one shows????
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:47 PM
Rob Sl@+kin

Dealers should sanitize their card holders after every single time they are touched. Is that really gonna happen? Sad to say, no way on National.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:50 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

I think people are forgetting it’s currently scheduled to run Saturday to Wed...two weeks before Xmas.

Who would attend a show with this format on a Tuesday or Wednesday?

No chance it happens.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:16 PM
Bruce Mattioli

I really can't see any mass gatherings inside for at least one full year from now. It sucks but until there is a vaccine nobody is going to chance promoting or doing a show..
Old 07-17-2020, 05:32 PM

The last Dallas regional show in June was highly attended and buying and selling was very brisk, masks and all. There were people with dollars burning a hole in their pocket. I think the attendance at the National if held would surprise you. Not saying it will happen, just that if it does, business will go on as usual, perhaps even better. Most people have more money now than they did before the crisis and have not spent it, pent up frenzy, just like the card prices seen recently.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:37 PM
mark sanders

Default "Only an @$$hole dies for baseball cards"

Adam...
I am chagrined to report that my @nu$ has passed away!
BAT ON: Old Mill, SC 350/25
BAT OFF: Cycle, Lenox, Piedmont 460/42, Uzit
& Piedmont 350
Old 07-17-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
the last dallas regional show in june was highly attended and buying and selling was very brisk, masks and all. There were people with dollars burning a hole in their pocket. I think the attendance at the national if held would surprise you. Not saying it will happen, just that if it does, business will go on as usual, perhaps even better. Most people have more money now than they did before the crisis and have not spent it, pent up frenzy, just like the card prices seen recently.

+1000

Last edited by bigfish; 07-17-2020 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:42 PM

Default National

Quote:
The last Dallas regional show in June was highly attended and buying and selling was very brisk, masks and all. There were people with dollars burning a hole in their pocket. I think the attendance at the National if held would surprise you. Not saying it will happen, just that if it does, business will go on as usual, perhaps even better. Most people have more money now than they did before the crisis and have not spent it, pent up frenzy, just like the card prices seen recently.
+1000 & I raise you!!!!

Last edited by Vintageclout; 07-17-2020 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:10 PM
Howard Chasser

Default LOL - I got it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
If it's in 95 degree heat with an approaching tropical storm, I know who the title sponsor would be...
Only if there was an open roof!
Old 07-17-2020, 07:00 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Quote:
Well I stand corrected.. Here in CT and I would imagine the East Coast any shows have been cancelled or postponed.. It sucks..
Old 07-17-2020, 08:39 PM
MîçhćŁ ßöwŁßĄ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
Well I stand corrected.. Here in CT and I would imagine the East Coast any shows have been cancelled or postponed.. It sucks..
Bruce,

They just cancelled Papermania at the XL Center which was scheduled for August 22. I am hoping the one scheduled for January 9-10 still goes on as it has been a few years since I have attended one. For those that do not know, Papermania in Hartford is one of the best paper collectibles shows in the country with Allentown, PA running a close second. Mostly paper dealers from the northeast carrying a spectrum of items. When I was going mostly looking for Civil War related signatures and ephemera I would always run across the signature of Baseball HOFer and former CT governor Morgan Bulkeley. I would see them for $20-$30 a pop. Having a large number of instate dealers it was always inevitable.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 07-17-2020, 09:15 PM
Robert Klevens

We already got our refund for our 2020 booth. I wonder what kind of financial shape the National is in. Without revenue this year will they actually be able to continue in the future or could this be the end?
Old 07-17-2020, 11:30 PM
Andy

Quote:
Not sure highlighting the willingness of people to attend large events that took place in Texas (and many other states) in June is a harbinger of things to come. Last month was a magical era where pent-up folks felt like the worst was behind them and were comfortable going out. Most can see what that has led to. Have to imagine the optimism (and extra money) will be diminished moving forward.
Old 07-18-2020, 03:00 AM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
There were multiple
Shows in Pennsylvania last weekend. They were not cancelled.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:54 AM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
There were multiple
Shows in Pennsylvania last weekend. They were not cancelled.
Where? The ones I’ve heard of in Pittsburgh and Greencastle have been cancelled.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:59 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahumes13 View Post
Not sure highlighting the willingness of people to attend large events that took place in Texas (and many other states) in June is a harbinger of things to come. Last month was a magical era where pent-up folks felt like the worst was behind them and were comfortable going out. Most can see what that has led to. Have to imagine the optimism (and extra money) will be diminished moving forward.
And, if you have seen photos of that show, a preponderance of the people attending did not wear masks either while walking around or behind the tables.

And yes it was pent-up energy.

As a note, we have postponed our synagogue show until November and I'm 50/50 right now that will occur as scheduled.

Rich
Old 07-18-2020, 11:33 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Everyone who thinks that the show will take place is forgetting the most important thing : AC in December. Blech!

Or not...
Old 07-18-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigecollectibles View Post
We already got our refund for our 2020 booth. I wonder what kind of financial shape the National is in. Without revenue this year will they actually be able to continue in the future or could this be the end?
Perhaps the virus will cause a re-thinking of the National and the manner in which it has evolved. If it can't continue financially, maybe a new group with new methods can build upon the strong base built by the original National officers and a National, more devoted to the collector than the corporate sponsor, could prove to be a positive outcome.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:16 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocjack View Post
Perhaps the virus will cause a re-thinking of the National and the manner in which it has evolved. If it can't continue financially, maybe a new group with new methods can build upon the strong base built by the original National officers and a National, more devoted to the collector than the corporate sponsor, could prove to be a positive outcome.
I was thinking the same. Would LOVE to see a new group emerge from this, who can make the Show more collector-friendly (as it was in its early days).

And more equitable geographically... with a Show west of the Mississippi to occur once every 3 years or so.
Old 07-18-2020, 03:04 PM
Scott Russell

I nominate Joe Drelich
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-18-2020, 03:37 PM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfast View Post
Where? The ones I’ve heard of in Pittsburgh and Greencastle have been cancelled.
Lancaster at the farm
Show and there was one in Harrisburg area. There is one in delegate somewhere tomorrow I believe it’s at a fire company.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:01 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I was thinking the same. Would LOVE to see a new group emerge from this, who can make the Show more collector-friendly (as it was in its early days).

And more equitable geographically... with a Show west of the Mississippi to occur once every 3 years or so.
Good luck getting the DEALERS to attend far west shows. Many of the dealers are located in either the east coast or the mid-west and they would rather go east than west as there is a higher population of collectors there than in the west.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:12 PM

I expect the National to be cancelled for 2020 and to resume in 2021 in Chicago, 2022 in Cleveland, etc,...
Old 07-18-2020, 08:23 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
I expect the National to be cancelled for 2020 and to resume in 2021 in Chicago, 2022 in Cleveland, etc,...
+1
Old 07-21-2020, 08:55 AM
B.ob L.amb

There is a 50 table show scheduled just south of Baltimore for this Saturday. It will be the first show here since February.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:41 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

With people dying across the country, with schooling being made virtual, with teams playing to empty stadiums, if at all, how can anyone be thinking about a baseball card show? If there is a vaccine by then,then that changes my thinking, but otherwise I hope the National is cancelled, if for nothing else than to save the idiots who might attend from themselves.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:06 AM

Default Where ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by basesareempty View Post
There is a 50 table show scheduled just south of Baltimore for this Saturday. It will be the first show here since February.
Which city and can we get there whilst avoiding Baltimore and D.C. ?

Old 07-21-2020, 10:11 AM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by basesareempty View Post
Arthur Slade?

Hope you’re talking about something different because that show is extremely lacking normally.
Old 07-21-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfast View Post
Arthur Slade?

Hope you’re talking about something different because that show is extremely lacking normally.
If there is a show (which I doubt whether it will be approved by local and state), as an exhibitor, I would attend ONLY if everyone would be required to wear masks. If that would be mandatory, then I would set up in December in AC.

While many will NOT attend, I suspect that the attendees will see more of the items that would normally have sold on day 1 or during the setup day. More of the sales would be spread out during the week. Historically, I make most of my sales on setup day, day 1, 2 and 3. By day 4 and 5, I could literally be ready to break down, but sometimes I do okay on those days, waiting for the end of the show to drive my SUV in on Sunday.

Either way, whether there is a show or not, whether you will attend or not, STAY SAFE and wear a mask.

Steve
Old 07-22-2020, 07:48 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
With people dying across the country, with schooling being made virtual, with teams playing to empty stadiums, if at all, how can anyone be thinking about a baseball card show? If there is a vaccine by then,then that changes my thinking, but otherwise I hope the National is cancelled, if for nothing else than to save the idiots who might attend from themselves.
This.

Or not...
Old 07-22-2020, 07:51 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
Which city and can we get there whilst avoiding Baltimore and D.C. ?

Baltimore was a great show. I loved that I could walk, indoors, from the hotel to the show, had lots of close restaurants and bars, and could watch semi-pro baseball (it is the Orioles after all) from the deck in the hotel. Seriously, Camden Yards was a really pleasant park to sit in and watch a game, though i wasn't wild about Old Bay on my hot dog, and it was literallu across the street from everything. It was also a super-easy and very pleasant train ride down from NYC with a short cab ride from the station to the convention/hotel complex. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to that venue for a National, assuming of course that the plague is over.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-22-2020 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:56 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Good luck getting the DEALERS to attend far west shows. Many of the dealers are located in either the east coast or the mid-west and they would rather go east than west as there is a higher population of collectors there than in the west.
Then what happened? Historically, Anaheim has hosted many of the largest-attended shows ever on record. I bet San Diego, Las Vegas or a hub like Denver would do even better.

The existing ownership group has not given it their best effort. Survey the people here, and you'll probably have less than 15% say that Atlantic City is an accessible (or even acceptable) venue.

Once every 3 or 4 years West of the Mississippi is not asking a lot.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Baltimore was a great show. I loved that I could walk, indoors, from the hotel to the show, had lots of close restaurants and bars, and could watch semi-pro baseball (it is the Orioles after all) from the deck in the hotel. Seriously, Camden Yards was a really pleasant park to sit in and watch a game, though i wasn't wild about Old Bay on my hot dog, and it was literallu across the street from everything. It was also a super-easy and very pleasant train ride down from NYC with a short cab ride from the station to the convention/hotel complex. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to that venue for a National, assuming of course that the plague is over.
The Baltimore convention center executives want to be able to tell the National committee in May or June that they want the show in their facility that summer. But the National committee needs a few years in advance for planning purposes. So, the National will never go back to Baltimore.

Last edited by Jewish-collector; 07-22-2020 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:33 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

It's entirely possible that, after the elections in November, the virus will magically just "disappear"...
Although it will be too late for a National, perhaps some larger regional shows will be well attended shortly thereafter? Let's keep hoping. I'm so eager to attend a big event. I miss it.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:38 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil68 View Post
It's entirely possible that, after the elections in November, the virus will magically just "disappear"...
Although it will be too late for a National, perhaps some larger regional shows will be well attended shortly thereafter? Let's keep hoping. I'm so eager to attend a big event. I miss it.
That's great news. I bet all the folks dying in Brazil will be surprised as hell to find out it was all just a political scam in another country.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-23-2020 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:46 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
That's great news. I bet all the folks dying in Brazil will be surprised as hell to find out it was all just a political scam in another country.
uhh.. anyone who has already died cannot be surprised about anything...