NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 02-28-2020, 03:34 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Default Will this stock market madness affect cards?

We're been on a mighty run. To the point where I am not longer buying like I used to because things that "feel" like good buys are far in between. Those of us who have been here a while have seen it happen before, but what are your thoughts short and long term?
Old 02-28-2020, 03:37 PM

A little hard to notice the stock market effect with all the lawsuits flying around.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:03 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

For the sake of humanity I hope nothing bad comes of the recent events.

We know if this market slide continues for more than a few months it'll trigger some bear market sentiments. Causing people to hold tight on spending.
It's just human nature right?

If we don't see a bounce back in the market i'm guessing a consistent yet flat trend in card prices. Probably some buying opportunities in between.

Luxury items and non essentials will see impacts first. So card prices should react +/- fairly quickly.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:51 PM

Yes. This stock market madness will affect the value of cards. If the stock market continues to struggle, the cost/value of (most) cards will go down. But just as the stock market will eventually go up, so will the value of (certain) cards. I believe if you buy the right cards and are “long” in them, you will do fine (maybe even well) over the longterm.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:54 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Put all of your slabbed cards into coronavirus surgical masks, and all will be fine eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:59 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Does this work?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg antivirus.jpg (13.1 KB, 1834 views)
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 03-26-2020, 07:42 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Mickey thinks this thread needs a card.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2020, 07:35 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Mickey thinks this thread needs a card.

At a card show last year with 4 of my grandsons. We went to a show in early February of this year and I am hopeful that we will be able to get to a couple more later this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018042195105245.jpg (68.0 KB, 329 views)

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:56 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
At a card show last year with 4 of my grandsons. We went to a show in early February of this year and I am hopeful that we will be able to get to a couple more later this year.
Thank you for posting that! Collecting at its purest. The next generation of collectors, which is exactly what is needed.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:38 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Who cares? We need to stop being afraid of what "could" happen? No one will say it, but I will. It's cold, but at some point, we have to not live in fear. .
So Shoeless Moe, when are you going to stop living in fear?

Quote:
Approximately 7,452 die every day in the United States due to natural deaths, multiple diseases, accidents, murders, viruses, etc...….and we are going to let the Economy tank, retirement funds disappear, money for kids colleges gone, mass amounts of people potentially jobless, no paychecks, no income for some. You also run the risk of suicides, riots, looting (anybody remember the LA Riots, don't think that can't happen again) if this goes too long.
May I suggest you stop YOUR fearmongering.

Quote:
We can't save everyone people. Sorry.
No, we can’t, but we CAN try to save as many as possible, despite your fearmongering about the economy.

Quote:
Every American needs to do something. You can't stay inside and shield yourself from the world for 6 months, a year, however long. Everyone does that WE fail.
More fearmongering based on what?
Quote:
The healthy MUST return to work soon, real soon. You are fighting for your 401K, you are fighting for your retirement, your kids college funds, you are fighting for the small businesses and for the workers who need jobs and have families, so you are fighting for the children of America.
Yet more fearmongering.

You do realize that the economy will bounce back, right?

Do you also realize that the people you want to so callously sacrifice include the ones who fought WWII? What, now they are to sacrifice their life so you don’t have to sacrifice anything? They may be the greatest generation, I may be the baby boomer generation, but you are the heartless, soulless, greedy generation.

My dad will be 90 in a few weeks. He served in the Air Force for 26 years. I don’t think he needs to be sacrificed for YOUR or anyone else’s financial benefit. My wife and I are 65+. She has asthma. I don’t think either of us should be sacrificed for YOUR or anyone else’s financial benefit. I don’t think anyone should be sacrificed for YOUR financial benefit.

So, from me, my wife, my dad, and everyone else you want to sacrifice for YOUR financial benefit let me say to you and to everyone who thinks like you, in the immortal words of the great Mickey Mantle,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zitem_31105_1.jpg (48.3 KB, 313 views)
Old 03-27-2020, 09:27 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Some thoughts and observations

1) I am an Ebay seller. Had been ramping up my listings since early December. I offer items in a wide price range ($10-$4000). While I only have in the neighborhood of 300 listings, I have only made a single sale ($6) in the last week. I was selling multiple items per week prior. Looking at the microcosm of my sales, would indicate less people are buying.

2) As I understand my sales for a multitude of variables may not be an indicator of the larger marketplace I did an Ebay "sold items" lookup for the Word Clemente - It was general enough to include over 100 sales per day and a range of price points. I looked at the period from March 5th to March 25th. Week 1 - 1080 items sold. Week 2 - 1069 and Week 3 - 1121. Probably would be relevant to go back a bit further, but from those numbers it appears little has changed.

3) My "common sense" brain thinks that people with smaller card/collectible budgets will likely be more economically affected by the current events and would logically be spending less on collectibles. Where those with larger collecting budgets not so much (exceptions to both understood). Though as pointed out (possibly earlier in this thread) people have A LOT less choices of things to spend money on for entertainment and possibly have diverted some of that spending to their hobby.

4) I have tracked a number of lots in both Ebay and some off Ebay auctions - Almost all the items I tracked seemed to land at pre corona virus fair market value.

5) Regarding the sensitive risk/benefit analysis question - I am glad I am not a leader needing to make some of the difficult decisions that need to be made. Many prescription drugs kill a very small percentage of the people that use them while helping a large majority. The flu and many other illnesses kill a number of people afflicted with them. There are chemical inputs in foods, drugs and cosmetics that contribute to the deaths of a percentage of people who ingest them. When we go to war it is a foregone conclusion people will die (THANK YOU to all the veterans who have served to protect my freedoms). The longer the economy is stalled, the greater the risk of death becomes as a result. In each of those cases it is the "few" sacrificing their lives for the "many". "Risk/benefit" decisions have been made for years where lives are knowingly sacrificed for what is understood by the decision makers as "the greater good". If the economic shutdown was necessary to save 1 life - should it be done? What if that life were yours? A loved one? 10 lives? 100, 1000, 10000? I'm still struggling to find my answer to this question - for me - for today - it shouldn't happen for 1 life (even if it were mine or a loved one), but I don't know where I draw the line. This is the question our leaders need to grapple with and answer now. Godspeed that they make some good decisions.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:27 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

++++1000
Old 03-27-2020, 02:01 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post

So, from me, my wife, my dad, and everyone else you want to sacrifice for YOUR financial benefit let me say to you and to everyone who thinks like you, in the immortal words of the great Mickey Mantle,
That took of time & thinking on your part, I'll give you that, we all have some extra time, me too. You like to make assumptions, well maybe I should as well. You are probably retired, have a decent savings and enjoying your retirement. Must be nice.

And how you spin it, very creative. Like I said I WANT some to die. Not even close. I said LIKE WAR some will die, it's inevitable. Maybe pay more attention to what I said rather then working on your little witty comebacks. If you can prevent deaths let's here your idea? Shut America down for what 6 months? a year? 2 years? That will solve everything and cause no other problems right?

How many deaths will that create from suicides, drinking & drug problems, domestic abuse rising, rise in crime, rioting and looting which will come if people arn't at work, and unemployed for months. Not to mention countless lives ruined. So while I may not be on the popular "hey lets pat this guy on the back he said everything politically correct" side. I'm in the real world Pal.

Yet you spin it as MY financial game, such an idiot. And a small closed minded one at that, and those minions who blindly applaud you. Too dense to think about the larger picture that could be.

Probably all criticizing Trump, yet no solutions given. You can't have healthy people out of work for too long bottom line. You have your nest egg I'm sure and are probably retired and can wait this out until the end of time, but the vast majority can not, which shows I care more about people then you. 20-30% unemployed. You are good with that? You need to think about that.

Everyone needs to get back to work sooner then later..............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (19.0 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 03-27-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:02 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post

You do realize that the economy will bounce back, right?

and Mikey don't be so sure on this if America shuts down for 6, 12 months. You made your comments after a few good days of the Market.

Now everyone is like phew, at least the economy while taking a hit won't fall apart completely.

WRONG!!! It could very well continue to sink lower and lower if we choose the shut it down for too long.

This is a WAR. War on the virus and in wars you lose lives, now I can say the politically correct thing and say every life matters, if we lose just one its too many. Everyone says yay, pats on the back, Sorry folks how many wars do you lose 1 life?

We are gonna lose a shit ton.

The President has a tremendously (even insanely) tough job balancing this. And all you f-cks who criticize him on this, let's hear your plan?

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 03-27-2020 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:53 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Yes the burden too high now, and yes making more on unemployment than going to work is an issue. Why go back to work, where is the incentive? How can the working class possibly pay back all the "advances" they have been given.

Maybe make people work to get their government cheese in the future? A required job to get a check.

Make people further their education?

I dont have the answer, but it doesn't mean I cant see a problem.

I agree "a person's a person, no matter how small."

Thanks, Love Horton

Anyhow, let's not derail the subject. People tossing their extra 600 into the stock market and cards, no need to save for a rainy day! Onwards and upward (mobility) what a community And country should be about.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-10-2020, 08:01 AM

The point I'm trying to make is that a lot of people tend to point fingers without realizing they're benefitting from the same system. I predict you'll have a lot of people in different circumstances 3 or 4 months from now who will forget all the help they got when they needed it.

Last edited by packs; 06-10-2020 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:04 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

And I'm saying, is the finger pointers are (can be) rightly so, since they are (mostly) the ones who will pay it back.

Old 06-10-2020, 08:12 AM

If you're worried about your tax dollars going toward helping people eat you should see some of the other things you're paying for.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:18 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
If you're worried about your tax dollars going toward helping people eat you should see some of the other things you're paying for.
Typical spin. Go to the lowest common denominator. That's exactly what I'm worried about.

I'll go one step lower down the ladder you have just established.

Maybe if they are eating fast food, and selling food stamps and baby formula for crack, I'm concerned. How about the hummers and range rovers littering the parking lot of NYCHA housing complexes. Gold chains and 1k sunglasses, while kids purposely go fatherless on paper to collect that cheese amd a place to live.

They ain't stupid, just poor!

I'd add you to my ignore list , but your posts are too amusing.

Old 06-10-2020, 08:22 AM
Robert Williams

I don't understand why people who can't afford to feed themselves have no urgency about their situation. And then they are having kids when they can't afford to feed themselves. Is it because they know someone will take care of them? Are they rewarded for having kids? This is a problem.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I don't understand why people who can't afford to feed themselves have no urgency about their situation. And then they are having kids when they can't afford to feed themselves. Is it because they know someone will take care of them? Are they rewarded for having kids? This is a problem.
This is literally the exact situation many people are in right now. People who had jobs and then lost them through circumstances beyond their control. This pandemic should be a wake up call to everyone who doesn't understand how someone finds themselves financially insecure, food insecure, and home insecure without means to change their circumstances.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:41 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I have a feeling The own decisions In their lives factor in the the circumstances to not be able to live within their means. At one point do they take responsibility? Some people need assistance, others manipulate it. How can the system be fixed? Give hands out to everyone? Who pays for that

Old 06-12-2020, 01:07 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Still the 10th most dangerous city, with a reduction in population and doubling of force. That's progress? Guess it couldnt get worse than #1

I've been there, and to Paterson NJ, Another really rough spot.

This is why when people from their arm chair posting articles to places theyve never been, showing how great theyve done, really isnt helping the probelm. It's easy to point fingers.

Old 06-12-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Still the 10th most dangerous city, with a reduction in population and doubling of force. That's progress? Guess it couldnt get worse than #1

I've been there, and to Paterson NJ, Another really rough spot.

This is why when people from their arm chair posting articles to places theyve never been, showing how great theyve done, really isnt helping the probelm. It's easy to point fingers.

What's wrong with that, though? Isn't it good if you drop 9 places?

Last edited by packs; 06-12-2020 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:04 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Considering only 2k people under 44 years of age died of covid 19, I dont think they are too worried about it.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:15 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

I dont understand why Wendy's got burnt down when they are the one's that supplied the video that showed the chase and provided a unique angle that was very helpful and for that the building was burned down.

If you owned a business that had a recording of an alleged wrongful police killing, would you want to share that knowing your business would be at risk of being burned down.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:16 AM

You're assuming the people destroying the property were BLM supporters. They recently arrested one of the guys who burned down the Minneapolis police station and he sure doesn't seem like one to me.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-mn/pr/s...precinct-arson
Old 06-16-2020, 11:45 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

I would imagine if there is anything the far-right and the BLM potesters could agree on, it's that the looters losers out just to create mayhem have pretty much ruined any chance at intelligent conversation.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:44 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
I would imagine if there is anything the far-right and the BLM potesters could agree on, it's that the looters losers out just to create mayhem have pretty much ruined any chance at intelligent conversation.
Then both of those sides would rage over what constitutes "intelligent conversation". Always has to be something
Old 06-16-2020, 02:36 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawaintheknight View Post
You're assuming the people destroying the property were BLM supporters. They recently arrested one of the guys who burned down the Minneapolis police station and he sure doesn't seem like one to me.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-mn/pr/s...precinct-arson
well probably a ton a of witnesses, like a lot of crimes , if want true partnership with police i hope the community shares the information.

i also hope all the money thats being collected in gofundme campaign gets shared to all of the minority peoples families that have died or perhaps to a college fund to poor families in the community

It would serve as good example of re-allocation as BLM wants to change how police are funded. There were many people allegedly represented by BLM killed in the community the past week. Why would two families get 20 million who are also going to have civil suits while the rest of the community gets nothing. It would serve the community to re-allocate the funds. The others that have died in the community are no less equal that the 2 noteworthy victims...