NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Default Looking for suggestions...What set should I build?

Posted By: Richard

Evening Folks,

This year I have decided to put together my first pre-war set. To help fill the time between pick-ups I am also considering casually putting together a "newer" set -- say 1940's-1950's. About 6-7 years ago I completed or nearly completed (and sold/traded) a couple of sets from the 1940's-1950's, so to start, the following are off of the list:

1947 Smith's Clothing
1948 Bowman
1951 Berk Ross (baseball)
1951 Topps RB
1954 Red Heart
1959 Fleer Ted Williams

Basically what I'm looking for is something that will be moderately challenging and won't break the bank (ie. 1952 Topps is out). On any given day, my opinion changes. I love the artwork of 1952 Bowman, and like the idea of a set like 1956 Topps or 1947-66 Exhibits because of the breadth of stars covered. At the same time, I appreciate some of those smaller regional sets (Remar Bread, Red Man Tobacco, etc). Ideally the set has a good cross-section of the HoFers, stars and "commons" of the era, but doesn't require me to drop a thousand bucks to secure a Mantle.

Is there any chance of that happening?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Richard.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JDRUM

early 60's Bazookas, sans the 1959 set they are challenging but possible on a budget and beautiful cards. I would stay away from the 1963 set because there is a rash of fakes out there.
[linked image]

Old 03-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JohnnyH

I put together the 59 Fleer set and love it, right now the prices are way down and lots have been available. If I was you I would work on the 48 Bowman and 59 Fleer at the same time, or slowly work on all the sets you have listed and pick them up as you find them. I was working on three sets at the same time and finished them all within 6 months after 10 years of starting- here is the breakdown-

1958 Topps- 10 years on the nuts

1959 fleer- 10 years and 4 months

1934 goudey- 10 years and 5 months

1976 Topps- one transaction of 120.00 and several upgrades and PSA 8 pickups of hof to go with it.

Good luck !!!!

Old 03-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug

I think the 1957 Topps set would be a solid choice. It's a fairly large set with a classic design and the cards don't cost a fortune. Best of luck to you in whatever you select!

Old 03-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the feedback so far, guys.

I am completely unfamiliar with those Bazooka issues, so I'll add them to the list of sets to research.

Oddly, I stopped considering Topps sets at 1956, really, for no reason at all. I was checking out a gallery of 1957 Topps (on your suggestion) and it's a decent looking set alright.

As for 're-collecting' 1948 Bowman, I had thought about that. I also considered taking another run at 1954 Red Heart. For the time being, though, I want to look at something that I haven't collected at all yet.

Thanks again for the feedback...please keep it coming!

Regards,

Richard.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

Richard,

Ixnay on the 1957 Topps! At least until I'm done!

In fact, I'll get you a complete list of everything I'm "working" on!

happy.gif

Old 03-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JohnnyH

I misread your post, I thought those were the sets you had it narrowed down to starting. 55 or 56 Topps sure would be sweet. I think that the 1956 set is the peak of the fabulous fifties, although personally 1958 is my all time favorite Topps set, it is so classic and truly the last set to capture the 50's. Ted Williams last card, classic Mick, and first ever all-star cards, and the yellow variation if you want to drive yourself crazy trying to get them. The 57 is cool but not very colorful with that 50's POP, but if you are into photo shots it can't be beat. My personal rankings of the Topps sets from the 50's-

1. 1958
2. 1954
3. 1956
4. 1955
5. 1953
6. 1952
7. 1957
8. 1951
9. 1959

Old 03-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony N.

What about a master set of Red Man's?
Just one card of each player from the entire '52-55 run. If you're concerned with budget you can collect them without tabs.
Ron Goldberg's site is a good resource
http://www.redmancards.com/

Old 03-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Mt. Joy

The 1947-66 exhibit set as mentioned is a nice set, loaded with superstars. I mean what set has Satchel Paige, Jackie Robinson, Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Clemente, Maris, Ford, Drysdale and more. Most of the cards, even stars can be purchased for less than $5 and you can still get 30+ card lots at a nice price. It does have a couple of expensive cards- Mantle Port, Yaz, Richardson, Ford Port and if condition is not a big issue then all but the Mantle Port can be found under $200.

If you dont like black and white cards and/or postcard sized cards then pick another set.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Been kinda busy lately, so I haven't had much chance to continue to research this idea. I still want to check out those Bazooka's listed above.

As for a master set of Red Man, it's definitely a contender. Actually, back when I was collecting 40's and 50's stuff, the plan was to complete a Red Man set after my '48 Bowman and '54 Red Hearts were wrapped up. I've been by Ron's site a number of times. The fact that it's 4 separate sets leaves plenty of room for milestones to keep me motivated, too. I'd be curious to know what the price difference (in percentage) would be between a no-tab and comparably graded tabbed set.

As noted, the 47-66 exhibits are on the (short) list. I had a half-dozen or so Dodgers at one point, and really like the photography. As you said, Scott, the Exhibit set has plenty of affordable star power too. I don't know of any other set that has Paige, Robinson, Mantle and Aaron, let alone Clemente, Musial, Berra, Reese, etc. If Williams was in the 47-66 set and not the 39-46 set, it might be a done deal. I do wish that the set was a bit smaller, though.

Choices, choices. I hate being indecisive...I think wink.gif

Regards,

Richard.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick McQuillan

Hi Richard,
I have been working on the 55 Bowman set. It is an interesting set with a few error cards, most of the stars of the era, interesting design and it isn't difficult to find cards in decent condition for well under Standard Catalog prices.

It is a fun set and you can find Mantle is VG or VG/EX for a decent price.

Rick