NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Scott S

Default Let's see some old handwritten letters!

I'll start off - this letter is written from Wally Schang to Jim McNulty, President of the Northern League in the 1930s. Apparently they were supposed to meet up at the winter meetings and missed each other in the crowded lobby - alas, if only there were cell phones at the time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50155.jpg (69.4 KB, 400 views)
Old 11-29-2011, 05:39 PM

Written in 1905 by original Yankee owner Frank farrell to his shortstop Kid Elberfeld:

"The Curveless Wonder," pitcher Al Orth:

Yankee scout Paul Kritchell:

Old 11-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Belltown Vintage

In keeping with my 'non-MLer' leanings, here's a letter written in 1904 to the baseball manager of a nearby town, by a regular guy who simply wanted to play ball as much as possible:

Old 11-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Wayne Walker

Judge Landis sure had some nasty handwriting!

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 12-04-2011, 08:57 AM

Guy Bush, Babe's chief tormentor in that "called Shot game" in the 1932 World Series. In the very next game in that 1932 World Series, Bush was the starting pitcher and hit Babe on the arm in his very first at bat, no accident. Now they meet again 3 years later, 1935. Bush remembers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guy Bushsmall.jpg (74.7 KB, 275 views)
Old 12-04-2011, 09:02 AM

Tom Zachary, not so kind to The Bam on that number 60 in 1927. Tom said he made a mistake. Join the club Tom, I wonder how many other pitchers thought they made a mistake pitching to the Sultan.

In the very next year 1928 Tom joins the Yankees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tom Zachary small.jpg (85.8 KB, 274 views)
Old 12-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Richard Simon

I have shown this one before but I always love to show it off.
Hank Greenberg writing, to a young boy, as an Army officer during WWII.
Envelope included with 2 sigs. of Hank on the envelope.
Truly one of my favorite pieces.
Read the letter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greenberg-als.jpg (67.6 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg greenberg-envel.jpg (59.1 KB, 265 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 12-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Joe M.

This is a letter to H. G Salsinger's widow at his death from Ty Cobb. Cobb was good friends with him, his bio is below just above the lettter.

Harry George "H.G." Salsinger (April 10, 1885[1] - November 1958) was sports editor of The Detroit News for 49 years.

Salsinger was born in Ohio in 1885. In 1907, he started writing for The Cincinnati Post.[2]

In 1909, Salsinger began working at The Detroit News as sports editor, a position he held until his death in 1958.[3] He covered 50 World Series, two Olympic Games, and many other sports including football, golf, tennis, and boxing.[3] Salsinger was also a president of both the Baseball Writers Association of America,[4] and the Football Writers Association of America.[5] Salsinger retired in January 1958 and died 10 months later at Henry Ford Hospital following a long illness.[6][7]

Salsinger was married to Gladys E. Salsinger. They had a son, Harry G. Salsinger, Jr., born in approximately 1920. At the time of the 1920 United States Census, Salsinger lived with his wife and son at 244 Pingree Avenue in Detroit.[8]

In 1968, the Baseball Writers Association of American posthumously awarded Salsinger the J. G. Taylor Spink Award for his baseball writing.[9] He was inducted into the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame in 2002.[10][11]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2634.jpg (71.2 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2635.jpg (70.9 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2636.jpg (72.1 KB, 244 views)

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13

Last edited by jcmtiger; 12-04-2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-04-2011, 05:42 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Do you know anything about Danahy?

"The Curveless Wonder," pitcher Al Orth:

Hey David. I have a photo belonging to Peggy's father, Walter. Seems he was a collector and maybe she was, too! Do you know anything about the family or at least the history of your letter??? Thanks. Matt
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
This is a letter to H. G Salsinger's widow at his death from Ty Cobb. Cobb was good friends with him, his bio is below just above the lettter.

Harry George "H.G." Salsinger (April 10, 1885[1] - November 1958) was sports editor of The Detroit News for 49 years.

Salsinger was born in Ohio in 1885. In 1907, he started writing for The Cincinnati Post.[2]

In 1909, Salsinger began working at The Detroit News as sports editor, a position he held until his death in 1958.[3] He covered 50 World Series, two Olympic Games, and many other sports including football, golf, tennis, and boxing.[3] Salsinger was also a president of both the Baseball Writers Association of America,[4] and the Football Writers Association of America.[5] Salsinger retired in January 1958 and died 10 months later at Henry Ford Hospital following a long illness.[6][7]

Salsinger was married to Gladys E. Salsinger. They had a son, Harry G. Salsinger, Jr., born in approximately 1920. At the time of the 1920 United States Census, Salsinger lived with his wife and son at 244 Pingree Avenue in Detroit.[8]

In 1968, the Baseball Writers Association of American posthumously awarded Salsinger the J. G. Taylor Spink Award for his baseball writing.[9] He was inducted into the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame in 2002.[10][11]
That's really a nice Cobb letter! Thanks for sharing that.

Am I the only one that has been intigued by the paradox or contrast in reading personal letters written by Cobb vs. the lasting image of him provided by biographers such as Al Stump?

I'm always interested in reading Cobb letters because they are so well written....
Old 12-04-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
Hey David. I have a photo belonging to Peggy's father, Walter. Seems he was a collector and maybe she was, too! Do you know anything about the family or at least the history of your letter??? Thanks. Matt
Hi, Matt. I bought the letter years ago from I think, Jim Stinson. I don't know anything about Peggy or her father. Sorry.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post

Am I the only one that has been intigued by the paradox or contrast in reading personal letters written by Cobb vs. the lasting image of him provided by biographers such as Al Stump?

I'm always interested in reading Cobb letters because they are so well written....
Al Stump should be referred to as biographer/forger.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 12-05-2011, 12:11 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Al Stump should be referred to as biographer/forger.
Really? I thought forgery only pertained to documents. Did he actually forge Cobb's signature?
Old 12-05-2011, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runscott View Post
really? I thought forgery only pertained to documents. Did he actually forge cobb's signature?
yes!!
Old 12-05-2011, 06:03 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
I'm with ya Scott. The Cobb in written letters really doesn't seem to match that of Stump's writing or how he's remembered for his demeanor as a player. Thowing out Stump's garbage, I think you're left with a complex character that could be mean and cantankerious one time, and generous and considerate another time. In other words, human.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:08 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Really? I thought forgery only pertained to documents. Did he actually forge Cobb's signature?
Stump was a noted forger, primarily forging handwritten letters which he did sign "Ty Cobb."
If you meant did he sign an index card, baseball card, etc. to create a fake autograph, I am not aware of that happening.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 12-05-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Stump was a noted forger, primarily forging handwritten letters which he did sign "Ty Cobb."
If you meant did he sign an index card, baseball card, etc. to create a fake autograph, I am not aware of that happening.
That's incredible. I was aware that he had sold items saying they belonged to Cobb, but didn't know that he actually forged documents. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:12 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
That's incredible. I was aware that he had sold items saying they belonged to Cobb, but didn't know that he actually forged documents. Thanks.
The story is widely known in the hobby.
A well known former dealer was the one who bought them initially from Stump and circulated them through the hobby.
They still turn up occasionally.
Many of them have great content. But Stump was a writer so I guess making up great letters was second nature for him.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 12-05-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:56 AM

Default the furtre of letters?

Looking through this thread I could not help but think that while other areas of the hobby seem to continue on with minor changes (autographs and game used items) and some with drastic changes (cards and photographs). It seems to me like this area, hand written letters, is probably all but dead.
I cannot imagine Jeter or Pujols writing anything by hand.

Perhaps future collectors will have a tread showing off emails from players?
Old 12-05-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Felix View Post
Looking through this thread I could not help but think that while other areas of the hobby seem to continue on with minor changes (autographs and game used items) and some with drastic changes (cards and photographs). It seems to me like this area, hand written letters, is probably all but dead.

Tweets on Twitter...
Old 12-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Belltown Vintage

pardon me.

Last edited by Runscott; 12-05-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Belltown Vintage

Pardon me, Scott

Last edited by Runscott; 12-05-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Scott S

To keep it going with letters, this from Clyde Engle, also written to Jim McNulty, president of the Northern League. It was written two weeks before Engle's death, with good content about Engle's coaching Toronto in the International League...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engle letter 1.JPG (74.1 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg engle letter 2.JPG (75.8 KB, 213 views)
Old 01-20-2012, 02:40 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post

Scott, here's another. I really like this one because, like the one Rob posted, it shows a lot of empathy for the recipient:

Old 01-20-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Scott, here's another. I really like this one because, like the one Rob posted, it shows a lot of empathy for the recipient:

Awesome letter Scott! Nice content!
Thanks for sharing this...
Old 01-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

When he was a boy my father received this from his older brother's father-in-law, with a note saying that he'd met Sid Luckman at the Columbia Club in NYC and would bring my father in and introduce him some time [didn't happen, though]:

This one is from my cousin:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-21-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Kenny

Default Zach Wheat letter

Here is a letter about Zach attending Cooperstown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheat letter.jpg (75.7 KB, 114 views)
Old 01-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Kenny

Default Giles note to Zach Wheat

Here is a note from Warren Giles to Zach Wheat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheat giles letter.jpg (69.2 KB, 114 views)
Old 01-23-2012, 12:17 PM
J@RR0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Felix View Post

I received an email from Harmon Killebrew a few months before he passed. I had sent his foundation a question about a donation and he responded personally.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default ted williams

Outside of my Type 1 photo collecting, I also enjoy rookie signatures(dated). Below is a 3 page letter written by Teddy Ballgame before he was Teddy Ballgame. It is also signed at the bottom. It was written on May 28, 1938 while he played for the Minneapolis Millers.

It has great baseball content:

“Hit a homer the first day in KC but yesterday I didn’t even hit a loud foul. Today I’m going to try to hit another one out. I’ve got 11 already” “Sure is hot here it was 83 the first day here. Next time we hit town it will probably be 100”. “saw the picture Robin Hood, it sure was a good one. I’m telling all the guys about your shooting.”

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 01-23-2012 at 03:41 PM.