NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-16-2021, 08:23 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
1. Since before the Flood.

2. Over 1,000 - Full Count days.

3. Now about 300.

4. Multi current examples from pre-war set: OJ to '41 Playball.

5. Best current cards are T3 Cobb, Turkey Red Cobb, '33 Goudy Ruth #53 &149, '33 and '34 Gehrig !60 and 37, respectively, and a '36 WWG Gehrig.

6. No complete sets at present.
Hey John, looks like you've got a really great collection of significant cards there. Awesome!!!
Old 06-16-2021, 09:01 PM
Ted Zanidakis

#1......My 1st pre-war card, which was acquired at the famous Willow Grove Show (Pennsylvania) in March 1981.

#2...... ?

#3......Approx. 3000 cards. Complete sets of N28, N29, N162, T209-1, 1933 and 1934 GOUDEY, 1935 DIA. STARS, 1939 - 1941 PLAY BALL.
And "complete" T206 sets...... PIEDMONT*, SOVEREIGN, SWEET CAPORAL Factory #30**. American Beauty 460 (73 of 74 cards) sub-set.

#4.....Too many to list here.

#5..... ?

Foot notes....
* ...... 520 card set. All - PIEDMONT set (missing Plank and Wagner)
** ....468 card set. All - SWEET CAPORAL set (missing only Wagner)

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 06-17-2021 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Added DIAMOND STARS set.
Old 06-17-2021, 01:04 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Great collection Jeff. And even though you may not think of it in the same way of what is normally thought of as a set, I think your collection of baseball cards of football players is actually a very specialized, and unique set. Heck, I even just put a bid in on an Earle Neale card I saw online just a couple days ago myself, talk about coincidences. LOL I imagine you have a complete list of everyone in that set somewhere? Might be cool to share it with everyone if you ever feel so inclined. I'll bet you'd see more interest in it from some other collectors than you might expect. And does that unique set go all the through up to today? And if so, did Tebow ever get a baseball card of himself issued? If he did, I imagine he must be the most recent addition to your list.

And just think, you might have now passed on the idea to someone else to maybe start collecting baseball cards of basketball players. Doesn't go as far back in time as it does for football players, but right off the top of my head I can immediately think of Dave DeBussure, Danny Ainge, and of course, Jordan. And I'm sure there are others I can't even think of.

And as for what significant cards you have, it isn't necessarily all just about the money. We've discussed that already in earlier posts of this thread.
Thanks for the feedback, Bob, and glad you like my 'set' of baseball cards of pro football players. So far I've only found a fraction of the cards I've identified but it is a fun run to work on. To answer your questions, I'm only focusing on pre-war so no Brian Jordan, Deion Sanders, or even Vic Janowicz in the set. I may expand to post-war later. For the most part I'm only looking for cards from the players playing days, so excluding coaching cards if they have them or modern tribute cards. The only exception is if a player doesn't have a card from their playing days ... then I'll look for a tribute card.

I'm always up for sharing! That's what the hobby is all about IMHO. I have this information in a table that shows the player's name, what pro football teams they played for in what years, what NL/AL teams they played for in what years, and what baseball cards I've been able to identify. I tried to upload this Word doc as an attachment to this message but it says 'invalid document type'. Maybe because it's a newer .docx format? The document is under the file size limit.

jeff
Old 06-17-2021, 04:14 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
#1......My 1st pre-war card, which was acquired at the famous Willow Grove Show (Pennsylvania) in March 1981.

#2...... ?

#3......Approx. 3000 cards. Complete sets of N28, N29, N162, T209-1, 1933 and 1934 GOUDEY, 1939 - 1941 PLAY BALL. PLUS......
complete T206 sets = PIEDMONT*, SOVEREIGN; SWEET CAPORAL Factory #30**, American Beauty 460 (73 of 74 cards) sub-set.

#4.....Too many to list here.

#5..... ?

Foot notes....
* ...... 520 card set. All - PIEDMONT set (missing Plank and Wagner)
** ....468 card set. All - SWEET CAPORAL set (missing only Wagner)

TED Z

T206 Reference
Ted,

Goes without saying you have an awesome collection. Everyone on here has heard your card knowledge and seen your posts of amazing cards you have, along with the stories of how you had started collecting as a kid from packs you bought yourself. What surprises me is hearing you didn't start collecting any pre-war cards till 1981. Always think of you as a pre-war T206 collector, now know better.

Last edited by BobC; 10-01-2021 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-17-2021, 04:20 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
Thanks for the feedback, Bob, and glad you like my 'set' of baseball cards of pro football players. So far I've only found a fraction of the cards I've identified but it is a fun run to work on. To answer your questions, I'm only focusing on pre-war so no Brian Jordan, Deion Sanders, or even Vic Janowicz in the set. I may expand to post-war later. For the most part I'm only looking for cards from the players playing days, so excluding coaching cards if they have them or modern tribute cards. The only exception is if a player doesn't have a card from their playing days ... then I'll look for a tribute card.

I'm always up for sharing! That's what the hobby is all about IMHO. I have this information in a table that shows the player's name, what pro football teams they played for in what years, what NL/AL teams they played for in what years, and what baseball cards I've been able to identify. I tried to upload this Word doc as an attachment to this message but it says 'invalid document type'. Maybe because it's a newer .docx format? The document is under the file size limit.

jeff
That is great Jeff. If someone is interested I'm sure they can try reaching out to out directlly and maybe have you email it to them.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:41 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Ted,

Goes without saying you have an awesome collection. Everyone on here has heard your card knowledge and seen your posts of amazing cards you have, along with the stories of how had started collecting as a kid from packs you bought yourself. What surprises me is hearing you didn't start collecting any pre-war cards till 1981. Always think of you as a pre-war T206 collector, now know better.
Hi Bob

My 2 teenage Daughters started collecting BB cards in the 1970's. I credit them for getting me to start collecting Sports cards in 1977. We went to my parent's house and found
in the attic a "treasure chest" of all the cards from my youth.
BOWMAN's, LEAF's, TOPPS's, etc. from 1947 - 1952. From 1977 to 1981, I concentrated on completing those sets. Then in 1981, I attended my first major Show at Willow Grove,
and a whole new world of collecting was opened to me....pre-war cards.

Thanks,

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 06-17-2021, 05:48 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Hi Bob

My 2 teenage Daughters started collecting BB cards in the 1970's. I credit them for getting me to start collecting Sports cards in 1977. We went to my parent's house and found
BOWMAN's, LEAF's, TOPPS's, etc. from 1947 - 1952. From 1977 to 1981, I concentrated on completing those sets. Then in 1981, I attended my first major Show at Willow Grove,

Thanks,

TED Z

T206 Reference
Fantastic story Ted! Can never tire from hearing it.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:41 AM
Rich

The stories and collections shared here are outstanding. Great idea for a thread, Bob.

Jeff, if you save your Word doc as a pdf, you may be able to attach.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:14 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Tim,

Great info, but have a follow-up question though. The W711 cards appear to have been issued as three distinct, separate sets with the first issued in 1938, second in 1939, and third in 1940, at least according to the old SCD catalogs. So were the W711 cards supposedly being distributed by the French Bauer dairy for all three years/types, or possibly only for one (or two) of those years/types? And if not for all three, can we tell for which year(s)/type(s) they were?

We know the French Bauer Dairy had some advertising interaction with the Reds team, or at least some of the Red's players, when they put some Red's players on their milk bottle caps, but that wasn't till 1963. If the dairy was actually responsible for producing and distributing any of these W711 cards, wouldn't it make sense for them to also have the French Bauer name at least somewhere on the cards to enhance their advertising worth? If French Bauer went to the trouble and expense to have the cards produced, adding their their name would be nominal cost, at worst. That said, is it possible that the Cincinnati team was the primary producer and issuer of these W711 cards after all, and that maybe the team then also made them available to local companies like the French Bauer Dairy to use and help distribute them? Maybe French Bauer was an advertiser with the Reds team back then, and so got permission to use these cards as an incentive to get people to sign up for their delivery service. And if true, there may have been other local Cincinnati businesses distributing these W711 cards also. Just speculating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Thanks for the info and posting the image of the article, and thanks to Mr. Bumpus for originally sharing it as well. Because of the scarcity of some players, it makes one think that these could have been issued on a weekly basis. All the previous info I remember indicated it was a box set available at the ballpark. But perhaps these could have also been distributed as mentioned through the dairy, and perhaps even individually or in a group as a giveaway at the park.

I have always liked the critters, no matter how they were distributed...they have great images of the players, and are just a cool group of cards.

Brian
The 1940 Reds b/w set (Harry Hartman set) can routinely be found in boxed set form, with box. I would agree this was likely sold at or near the stadium.

But I have never seen a box for the 1938 set. I have never seen a complete set. This leads me to believe it is not connected with the team, the dairy connection seems more likely. Although I don't know why there is no advertisement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 06-18-2021, 11:59 AM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

1. This is the toughest question for me to answer. I started collecting vintage cards in 1976-78, but took a hiatus off during the '80s and '90s, with the notable exceptions of buying a few Topps 1987 sets in '87 and a T206 Christy Mathewson card in 1990. I then resumed collecting vintage cards in 2003. So I guess it all amounts to about 20 years in total.

2. I've never owned too many - right about 200 is my max ever, but that number didn't last too long.

3. I currently have 142.

4. My most significant card is either my '33 Goudey Ruth or my T206 Cobb (Bat Off Shoulder).

5. My only prewar set is a 1934-36 Diamond Stars set of 96 (no repeated high-number prints)

Last edited by robw1959; 06-18-2021 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:45 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
The 1940 Reds b/w set (Harry Hartman set) can routinely be found in boxed set form, with box. I would agree this was likely sold at or near the stadium.

But I have never seen a box for the 1938 set. I have never seen a complete set. This leads me to believe it is not connected with the team, the dairy connection seems more likely. Although I don't know why there is no advertisement.

Interesting factor. Can also see how with the years of distribution for these three different sets/types being all together (1938, 1939 and 1940), along with their limited distribution area, only including Cincinnati Reds players, and relative scarcity overall, it makes it somewhat easy to believe that the definitively known manufacturer and distribution method for any one of those years would readily be considered the same for all three sets/types. Even if that isn't accurate.

Still, even without evidence of of a box ever being used to distribute the 1938 set/type in, the fact that the 1938 and 1939 cards are virtually the same would only support the thinking that they were produced by the same manufacturer, and therefore more likely to have been distributed in a like manner over both years. I don't know any of the distribution details myself, but you specifically mentioned not knowing of any boxes existing for just the 1938 Type 1 cards. So does that mean that there are known and existing boxes for the 1939 and 1940 sets? And if so, and never having seen one of these boxes myself, how can you tell for certain that a box used for the 1939 set could not have been used for the 1938 set? (The 1940 cards were a different size, so the box for that set clearly would not have also been used for the 1938 and 1939 sets.) And isn't it also possible that even if no box was ever used to sell a 1938 set in that for that initial year they could have used envelopes instead to sell the sets in? I know, then why are there no existing envelopes? But if they did use envelopes, they could have been unmarked and have no specific way to identify and tie them to the 1938 set then. Also, a box from back then would have a much better chance of surviving till today than a much more fragile envelope. And these cards are already scarce so the number of boxes or envelopes originally sold wouldn't have been that great to start with, further decreasing the odds of examples of either still surviving till today. Or maybe that first year they only sold the cards individually, or possibly just handed them out for a while as a free giveaway at the ballpark. All good questions I think.

Regardless, any of these theories seem a lot more plausible than the one having the French Bauer Dairy beginning production of these cards in 1938 and then distributing them, probably one at a time, with their weekly milk deliveries. And then in the following year (1939), having the Cincinnati Reds team take over the production of these cards and continue producing them using the exact same design and player images for the most part, but now selling them as a box set. Something doesn't add up. I know there is that article that you posted, that came from Chris Gamble, saying the 1938 cards were in fact made and distributed weekly by the French Bauer Dairy, but where did that item come from? I went back and reread what you had initially said about Chris' posting, and noted you originally referred to it as an "advertisement". So I immediately assumed it was likely something from a credible, contemporary source, like a local newspaper or magazine. But then looked again at the item Chris had posted, and it is most clearly not an advertisement talking about the French Bauer Dairy now giving out cards of Reds players to hopefully get more people to sign up for their weekly milk deliveries. It actually reads more like a card issue description you'd see in the SCD catalog, or an article written in some more modern card publication by a writer explaining what they thought the origins of this set were. Do you have any more info on where (and when) this article came from, and who the author is? That would certainly help to possibly add a lot more credibility and veracity to what is being said about the 1938 set in it. And since it also seems pretty obvious that article was written sometime long after 1938, why no mention in it of the 1939 set and if that shouldn't also be primarily attributed to the French Bauer Dairy as well?

The similarity of the 1938 and 1939 W711 sets definitely ties their production together, and coupled with no direct mention of French Bauer Dairy on the cards themselves or in any other contemporary advertising that anyone is currently aware of, it seems most likely the Reds team would have been the primary party responsible for their production and distribution. However, it is also still possible that some of those 1938 cards were given away by the French Bauer Dairy, perhaps in conjunction with some kind of agreement or advertising partnership they may have had with the Reds team. But again, with no other surviving examples of ads, articles or other evidence from aroung 1938 mentioning the Dairy's involvement in such a promotion, it seems less likely to have been the case that the French Bauer Dairy was the principal distributor of these 1938 W711 cards, let alone their original producer.

And lastly, there is the description given for the 1938 W711 set in the old SCD catalogs. The catalogs were (and still are) widely known and owned by serious collectors throughout the hobby, and generally regarded as one of, if not the most, accurate and comprehensive reference source for vintage cards and sets ever published. The fact that over all the years the SCD catalogs were published showing the 1938 W711 cards were from a team issued set, and no one apparently ever came forward with this alternative origin for these cards actually being produced by the French Bauer Dairy, is extremely telling in my opinion. For had this alternate origin for the 1938 cards been put forward by anyone to the SCD catalog staff, and sufficient evidence or proof of it being true provided, I feel fairly confident that SCD would have revised and corrected the set's description in their catalogs, or at least included a mention of it as a possible alternative. Bottom line is, I can't believe no one wouldn't have told this to Bob Lemke, or his successors, and doubt this would have only now been found out, after the SCD catalog stopped being published.

Last edited by BobC; 10-01-2021 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:58 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Do you have any more info on where (and when) this article came from, and who the author is? That would certainly help to possibly add a lot more credibility and veracity to what is being said about the 1938 set in it. And since it also seems pretty obvious that article was written sometime long after 1938, why no mention in it of the 1939 set and if that shouldn't also be primarily attributed to the French Bauer Dairy as well?
You missed a post of mine stating that the screenshot supposedly comes from the 1982 Reds Yearbook. I don't collect yearbooks, so I wouldn't know.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 06-18-2021, 05:32 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
1. This is the toughest question for me to answer. I started collecting vintage cards in 1976-78, but took a hiatus off during the '80s and '90s, with the notable exceptions of buying a few Topps 1987 sets in '87 and a T206 Christy Mathewson card in 1990. I then resumed collecting vintage cards in 2003. So I guess it all amounts to about 20 years in total.

2. I've never owned too many - right about 200 is my max ever, but that number didn't last too long.

3. I currently have 142.

4. My most significant card is either my '33 Goudey Ruth or my T206 Cobb (Bat Off Shoulder).

5. My only prewar set is a 1934-36 Diamond Stars set of 96 (no repeated high-number prints)
Rob,

Definitely still a great collection with some classic cards as your most significant. You can't deny the attraction to a Goudey Ruth, or a Cobb T206. And what do mean you don't have many pre-war cards? I think most people would feel having almost a couple hundred would be a pretty sizable collection. It can be the quality, and not just the quantity, that mekes up a great pre-war collection.

Heck, I've got a ton of pre-war cards and items, yet. I've never owned a Goudey Ruth or a T206 Cobb. I guess one of my collecting quirks is that I'm more attracted to the less popular and more obscure pre-war sets. Oh, I own some T206s and Goudeys, but just a handfull or so of each as type cards or examples. Seems like pretty much everyone here on Net54 collects and talks about T206s and Goudeys all the time. Probably a big reason I like a lot of the other non-mainstream sets a little more. Less competition for collecting them, and you have a chance to discover and learn things that not everybody knows. Plus, you've got to love some of the more diverse sets out there, like Rittenhouse Candy cards or Rinkydinky stamps, right. LOL

And your choice of the Diamond Stars set to be working on is a great one. Got to love their iconic art deco design and look. Love that set, and always thought it stood out from most others. Kind of like the '72 Topps set design, just one of a kind.

Last edited by BobC; 06-18-2021 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:44 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
The stories and collections shared here are outstanding. Great idea for a thread, Bob.

Thanks Ricky. I hope a lot of others are enjoying it as well, and will eventually chime in with their own stories and info. That is the nice thing about a thread like this, virtually everyone can contribute to it, and there are no wrong answers. LOL Take care.

Last edited by BobC; 06-19-2021 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-19-2021, 04:59 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post

Good thought! But pdf file size is too big to upload on Net54 as well. I put it in Google Docs for anyone who wants to view / download it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1geZ...ew?usp=sharing

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 06-19-2021 at 05:02 AM.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:39 AM
Rich

Very cool, Jeff!
Old 06-19-2021, 11:13 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Good thought! But pdf file size is too big to upload on Net54 as well. I put it in Google Docs for anyone who wants to view / download it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1geZ...ew?usp=sharing

jeff
Jeff,

Great list and info, and some really obscure names on there. That must have taken some real detective work and time to put together. Do have a question for you though, why isn't Earle "Greasy" Neale also on the list? Played in eight seasons with the Reds from 1916 to 1924 (plus 22 games with the Phillies in 1921), and pro football with the Canton Bulldogs in 1917 (alongside Jim Thorpe), the Dayton Triangles in 1918 (and was also their coach), and finally with the Massilon Tigers in 1919?

At first I thought maybe it was because he only played on some pre-NFL teams so you didn't count that. Then I noticed your list also included Ed Abbaticchio whose football playing days ended in 1900, so I ifigured that wasn't it. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that he may have been playing pro football under an assumed name because of amatuer rules that existed back then, and wondered if that may have something to do with it. Have to believe that if you do add him on to your list that he'd end up having more baseball cards than anyone else on it. Curious to find out why he's missing.

Last edited by BobC; 10-01-2021 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-19-2021, 12:29 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Yy

Jeff,

Great list and info, and some really obscure names on there. That must have taken some real detective work and time to put together. Do have a question for you though, why isn't Earle "Greasy" Neale also on the list? Played in eight seasons with the Reds from 1916 to 1924 (plus 22 games with the Phillies in 1921), and pro football with the Canton Bulldogs in 1917 (alongside Jim Thorpe), the Dayton Triangles in 1918 (and was also their coach), and finally with the Massilon Tigers in 1919?

At first I thought maybe it was because he only played on some pre-NFL teams so you didn't count that. Then I noticed your list also included Ed Abbaticchio whose football playing days ended in 1900, so I ifigured that wasn't it. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that he may have been playing pro football under an assumed name because of amatuer rules that existed back then, and wondered if that may have something to do with it. Have to believe that if you do add him on to your list that he'd end up having more baseball cards than anyone else on it. Curious to find out why he's missing.
None of those things. I was reformating my list and it was a cut and paste error! Itshould be fixed now. Thank you for noticing that.

Can't leave Greasy Neale off the list as he is one of my favorite pre-NFL pros. Here are the cards I have of him so far.

Also this great basketball image of him from a composite team item I have from his college days.

jeff
Old 06-19-2021, 02:59 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
None of those things. I was reformating my list and it was a cut and paste error! Itshould be fixed now. Thank you for noticing that.

Can't leave Greasy Neale off the list as he is one of my favorite pre-NFL pros. Here are the cards I have of him so far.

Also this great basketball image of him from a composite team item I have from his college days.

jeff
Now that makes sense. LOL Couldn't believe you didn't have him on there as he's the only HOFer on there besides Halas and Thorpe.

Nice cards by the way. Believe there are a lot more with him out there.

Last edited by BobC; 06-19-2021 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-19-2021, 06:33 PM
Rich

Testing....

Last edited by Ricky; 06-19-2021 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:06 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky View Post
testing....
1 - 2 - 3
Old 06-20-2021, 05:54 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Now that makes sense. LOL Couldn't believe you didn't have him on there as he's the only HOFer on there besides Halas and Thorpe.

Nice cards by the way. Believe there are a lot more with him out there.
Yes, there are many others for Neale. I've missed on a few at auction over the yeras. I put the ones I know about in the checklist but am sure there are more.

Cal Hubbard is the only person in both the Pro Football HOF and Baseball HOF but he is in the Baseball HOF as an umpire. I have his 1955 Bowman umpire card but haven't included him in my list since he didn't play major league baseball.

jeff
Old 06-20-2021, 10:36 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Yes, there are many others for Neale. I've missed on a few at auction over the yeras. I put the ones I know about in the checklist but am sure there are more.

Cal Hubbard is the only person in both the Pro Football HOF and Baseball HOF but he is in the Baseball HOF as an umpire. I have his 1955 Bowman umpire card but haven't included him in my list since he didn't play major league baseball.

jeff

I forgot about that, but since you specifically mentioned players only, I wasn't thinking of him. Good stuff.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:10 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Quote:
Hi Bob

Thanks,

TED Z

T206 Reference
Hi Ted, It's interesting how some things are similar but also different because of a different generation. I collected cards in the early 1980's when I was 9 and stuck with the current issues. Then in 2008, I found Net54 (the original website) and just like you, a whole new world of collecting was opened to me....pre-war cards. I learned a lot about the T206 set while reading your posts from the previous years, all the way to current times. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. You are one of the reasons I got into the T206 set. Now I'm out there sharing knowledge to others.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 06-23-2021, 07:00 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
Hi Ted, It's interesting how some things are similar but also different because of a different generation. I collected cards in the early 1980's when I was 9 and stuck with the current issues. Then in 2008, I found Net54 (the original website) and just like you, a whole new world of collecting was opened to me....pre-war cards. I learned a lot about the T206 set while reading your posts from the previous years, all the way to current times. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. You are one of the reasons I got into the T206 set. Now I'm out there sharing knowledge to others.

Hi Ron

I really appreciate your kind words.

And, thank you for the reciprocal exchange which the both of us have had over the years regarding tobacco cards. Especially, when you confirmed my mutually-exclusive theory
regarding the the latter print runs of the 350/460 Series of the T206 set with your complete run of the 28 subjects of the SWEET CAPORAL 350-460 Factory #30 cards.
It's amazing how we can solve a lot of "mysteries" of these tobacco cards on this forum when we share with each other really meaningful information.

Take care, my friend.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 06-27-2021, 11:13 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
1 - 2 - 3
You speculated about the Reds set w-711. I asked the Reds HOF, and they had no information, only speculation as well. Here is their reply.

"Thanks for contacting the Hall of Fame. I must confess that I had forgotten about or missed completely the article in the 1982 Reds Yearbook that associated the W-711 series with a local dairy. After reading it (or re-reading it), I set about trying to find some period resource that might confirm or explain the reference in the article. The Reds’ archive do not contain internal company documents that go back that far and, Unfortunately, after searching through the Cincinnati Enquirer from 1938 and 1939, and reviewing all of the editions of “News of the Reds” published during those years, I could find no reference to the card set at all. There were many ads for French Bauer products in the newspapers but nothing related to the Reds. As far as the “News of the Reds” is concerned, I found multiple references to cut out schedule calendars that were available at no charge to fans at the ballpark as well as ads for Reds window decals that were offered at no charge at the park but nothing about the card set (sponsored or otherwise).

While I certainly acknowledge the possibility that I may have missed something, if we assume for a moment that I did not, I find it difficult to believe that a sponsored promotion related to the cards would not have been advertised in some way. The Enquirer was not the only paper in Cincinnati at the time but it was the preeminent morning paper and its Reds coverage was extensive. And if the cards were distributed as giveaways at the ballpark, I find it strange that there would have been no reference to the program in the Reds’ internally-produced newsletter. I have always understood the card set to be something that was sold at the souvenir stands at the ballpark and was never particularly bothered by the fact that no box or envelope associated with the set has surfaced. My thinking here has long been that anything they might have been housed in was likely devoid of any kind of marks or design and was therefore likely to have been discarded. There is much speculation here, of course, but I cannot find anything to support the assertion made in the yearbook article and it seems likely to me that I would have as I think such an association would have been promoted, especially since there is no sponsor or company name on the cards themselves. If I happen to find anything that sheds more light on this set and its production/distribution, I will certainly pass it along."

Old 06-28-2021, 01:44 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
You speculated about the Reds set w-711. I asked the Reds HOF, and they had no information, only speculation as well. Here is their reply.

"Thanks for contacting the Hall of Fame. I must confess that I had forgotten about or missed completely the article in the 1982 Reds Yearbook that associated the W-711 series with a local dairy. After reading it (or re-reading it), I set about trying to find some period resource that might confirm or explain the reference in the article. The Reds’ archive do not contain internal company documents that go back that far and, Unfortunately, after searching through the Cincinnati Enquirer from 1938 and 1939, and reviewing all of the editions of “News of the Reds” published during those years, I could find no reference to the card set at all. There were many ads for French Bauer products in the newspapers but nothing related to the Reds. As far as the “News of the Reds” is concerned, I found multiple references to cut out schedule calendars that were available at no charge to fans at the ballpark as well as ads for Reds window decals that were offered at no charge at the park but nothing about the card set (sponsored or otherwise).

While I certainly acknowledge the possibility that I may have missed something, if we assume for a moment that I did not, I find it difficult to believe that a sponsored promotion related to the cards would not have been advertised in some way. The Enquirer was not the only paper in Cincinnati at the time but it was the preeminent morning paper and its Reds coverage was extensive. And if the cards were distributed as giveaways at the ballpark, I find it strange that there would have been no reference to the program in the Reds’ internally-produced newsletter. I have always understood the card set to be something that was sold at the souvenir stands at the ballpark and was never particularly bothered by the fact that no box or envelope associated with the set has surfaced. My thinking here has long been that anything they might have been housed in was likely devoid of any kind of marks or design and was therefore likely to have been discarded. There is much speculation here, of course, but I cannot find anything to support the assertion made in the yearbook article and it seems likely to me that I would have as I think such an association would have been promoted, especially since there is no sponsor or company name on the cards themselves. If I happen to find anything that sheds more light on this set and its production/distribution, I will certainly pass it along."

Tim,

Thanks for checking this out with another reliable source, and a very interesting response you got back. I'm not surprised by the comments you got regarding the possibility that the French Bauer Dairy was not involved with the W-711 set. The fact that there were no references, markings, colloborative ads or articles that exist showing these cards were used by French Bauer for advertising purposes pretty much clinches it, at least for me, that the Dairy had nothing to do with this card issue. No company would put forth the time, effort, and money to create something like this with absolutely no mention of their name or product, or the existence of any supporting promotional ads or materials, being found anywhere.

What is very interesting though is that your source, the Reds HOF, goes on to also note that there is no evidence to definitively tie the 1938 W-711 cards to being issued by the team either. That is very surprising. The sources the Reds HOF referenced that did not confirm the 1938 and 1939 cards were associated with the Reds team are pretty compelling. I wonder if this lack of such evidence may help explain why the Reds' 1982 yearbook would have suggested these cards were associated with the French Bauer Dairy then. Is it possible whoever had written that yearbook article just assumed those cards were created and issued by an advertising company then, as they couldn't actually link them to the Reds team, and for whatever reason picked the French Bauer Dairy as that advertiser? That could have been an assumption based on other advertising promotions between the team and the Dairy that were known. Based on this information it makes you wonder if the W-711 issue was neither a Reds team or French Bauer Dairy issue at all.

Is it possible the cards were created by some unrelated company that profited by having them sold by vendors outside the Reds' ballpark? I can't imagine the team would have allowed such sales inside the ballpark, unless it was a team authorized issue or they were somehow getting a cut, in which case you would think there would have been some mention or other evidence of it in the team's records or files that the Reds HOF looked through. And the fact that these W-711 cards were apparently isued over two years (1938 and 1939) as two different types would also make you think the team was okay with them, even if created and sold by an unrelated company. Today if someone used a team's or player's image on something like this without the proper approval (and paying for it), they'd be immmediately shut down and sued in a heartbeat. I know things were much different back in the 1930's, but even so, would a team back then let someone do this for two years, with no action on their part or record of it at all?

At this point I feel fairly confident the French Bauer Dairy had nothing to do with creating the W-711 cards. Also confident the 1940 cards were an authorized and team created issue sold as sets. As to who actually was responsible for creating and distributing the 1938 and 1939 W-711 cards, that may still be up in the air after all. Even if the team wasn't directly responsible for creating and distributing them, I have to believe the Reds were somehow still involved or gave their permission in some way for someone else to create and distribute them. This could be one of those things that is never completely solved. If nothing else, a great topic for conversation and conjecture.

Last edited by BobC; 10-01-2021 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-01-2021, 07:22 PM
Bob C.

Friendly bump to see if others who originally missed getting in on this survey before would like to join in now. Survey questions/topics are back in post #1.
Old 10-03-2021, 02:23 AM
Gary

Wow, there are some fantastic cards in this thread. I love Bob's Exhibit vending machine.

I'm relatively new to Pre-War collecting. I've previously focused only on post-war. I initially dabbled without too much focus by I've begun concentrating on 3 sets (W554, T3 Turkey Red and 1916 Zeenut PCL).

1. How long have you been collecting pre-war cards?

18 months

2. What is the approximate largest number of pre-war cards/items you've
ever owned at any one time?

86 + 73 Pre War Pins (Sweet Caporal, Orbit Gum, Cracker Jack, etc)

3. Approximately how many pre-war cards/items do you currently still own?

4. What is/are the most significant card(s)/item(s) you currently own?
(Not what you may have owned at one time.)

1911 T3 John McGraw
1932 Bulgaria Cigarettes Babe Ruth

5. What complete sets or near complete sets (say 75% or more) do you
currently own? (Again, not counting sets you used to own, and only
counting the baseball cards in multi-subject sets in determining the
percentage complete. And not including as sets any issue with only 1 or
2 listed baseball cards/items in it.)

1930 W554 (61% Complete)
Old 10-03-2021, 08:29 AM
Eugene
Eug,ene St.ump

I purchased a T206 Addie Joss when I was a kid. I started again around 2008.

75 to 80

My favorite obtainable card of all time is my 1921 E121 “Babe” Ruth series of 80. My next three significant cards are my 54 Topps Aaron, 55 Topps Clemente and (gulp) 2000 Bowman Tom Brady. I have always enjoyed Poor condition cards because they allow me to own a piece of history that I normally wouldn’t have been able to afford.

None. The oldest set I ever owned was a 1956 Topps set that I built and once I completed it I no longer enjoyed it and sold it soon after. That was it for me with set collecting. The hunt was more fun than owning it. I did once have about 40 or 50 1933 Goudey’s including three Ruth’s and a Gehrig but I lost interest. I do have a 1975 Topps set in poor to fair condition, lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 43EBFAE5-F2AD-4DC3-8DF3-04E7899D02A9.jpg (11.5 KB, 158 views)
Old 10-03-2021, 10:29 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
Wow, there are some fantastic cards in this thread. I love Bob's Exhibit vending machine.

I'm relatively new to Pre-War collecting. I've previously focused only on post-war. I initially dabbled without too much focus by I've begun concentrating on 3 sets (W554, T3 Turkey Red and 1916 Zeenut PCL).

18 months

1911 T3 John McGraw
1932 Bulgaria Cigarettes Babe Ruth

1930 W554 (61% Complete)
Great items Gary. Good luck on the remainder of that W554 set, its a nice set.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:33 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25801wv View Post

I purchased a T206 Addie Joss when I was a kid. I started again around 2008.

75 to 80

My favorite obtainable card of all time is my 1921 E121 “Babe” Ruth series of 80. My next three significant cards are my 54 Topps Aaron, 55 Topps Clemente and (gulp) 2000 Bowman Tom Brady. I have always enjoyed Poor condition cards because they allow me to own a piece of history that I normally wouldn’t have been able to afford.

None. The oldest set I ever owned was a 1956 Topps set that I built and once I completed it I no longer enjoyed it and sold it soon after. That was it for me with set collecting. The hunt was more fun than owning it. I did once have about 40 or 50 1933 Goudey’s including three Ruth’s and a Gehrig but I lost interest. I do have a 1975 Topps set in poor to fair condition, lol.
Great items Eugene, and nothing wrong with the modern Tom Brady card in there. The 1956 Topps set is a fantastic set, and was the first set I ever completed. Good stuff. And need to get more pre-war cards so you can turn the frown upside down.

Last edited by BobC; 10-03-2021 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-03-2021, 02:37 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

WOW

This is a Great Thread and lots of great stories and Great Cards

10 Years started because I was trying to Recapture my youth and get my Son into my interests (DID NOT WORK. Loves the Game but not so much the history or the collecting)

Approx 60 although I have narrowed it down to focus on Some Key players and on the quality over the quantity.

Currently 17 and slowly climbing

For me the most significant card is the 1914 CJ Joe Jackson because of both my interest in Joe Jackson but also because of my father's time with me when I was a kid collecting cards and his love of the Crack Jack Cards.

None At this time

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-03-2021, 02:57 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
WOW

This is a Great Thread and lots of great stories and Great Cards

10 Years started because I was trying to Recapture my youth and get my Son into my interests (DID NOT WORK. Loves the Game but not so much the history or the collecting)

Approx 60 although I have narrowed it down to focus on Some Key players and on the quality over the quantity.

Currently 17 and slowly climbing

For me the most significant card is the 1914 CJ Joe Jackson because of both my interest in Joe Jackson but also because of my father's time with me when I was a kid collecting cards and his love of the Crack Jack Cards.

None At this time
Thanks Jeff. Doesn't matter if you collect sets, type, HOFers, teams, whatever your niche, there is no wrong way to collect. I know you go for quality as opposed to quantity and have some great cards. Here's hoping your collection grows even more in the future.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:24 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Thanks Jeff. Doesn't matter if you collect sets, type, HOFers, teams, whatever your niche, there is no wrong way to collect. I know you go for quality as opposed to quantity and have some great cards. Here's hoping your collection grows even more in the future.
Thanks Bob.

This is before card collecting really became organized and such a big business.

Actually what is funny is that my father told me to collect individual cards vs sets because individual cards are cheaper, will not be worth anything, and it is just for the fun.

Not sure but I think he might be a little off on his prediction

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-03-2021, 03:57 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Thanks Bob.

This is before card collecting really became organized and such a big business.

Actually what is funny is that my father told me to collect individual cards vs sets because individual cards are cheaper, will not be worth anything, and it is just for the fun.

Not sure but I think he might be a little off on his prediction
Aren't you glad you listened to your Dad and focused on the bigger name players though? Sounds like he knew something after all.
Old 03-18-2024, 05:28 PM
Tom

Quote:
Member Bumpus Jones (Chris Gamble) is the person who shared this picture of the description with me. He shared it on our Facebook group. I'm not sure what book he has that he dug it out of.
I think I read that this was in the 1982 Reds Yearbook. I have to wonder about how accurate the writer of that blurb was - Livengood played for the 1939 Reds, not the 1938 team - and how in the world would they get the information that only 5 Livengood cards are in collections, especially in the pre-internet says of the early '80s? Seems quite the reach.

I've heard the rumor of a dairy distributor too, but so far I've not seen evidence of that. I've tried searching the Cincy newspapers for 1938 & 1939 and seen no mention of cards being distributed, wither by the team or an entity like a dairy; of course that proves nothing.

You'd think that the dairy (maybe the French Bauer dairy in Cincy) would have some kind of advertisement on the cards somewhere.
Also - if the dairy distributed the cards weekly, how so? By mail-in requests? With delivery of dairy products?

Trying to figure out the distribution of the W711-1 sets is quite a puzzle!

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the 1938 & 1939 distribution. Some cards issue in both years have statistical/biographical changes on the back (Berger, Derringer, Frey, Goodman, Gamble, Lombardi, McKechnie, Myers, Riggs, Walters) - and Vandy has two different fronts - yet there are several that were supposedly issued in both years, yet I've seen absolutely no difference on the backs (Craft, Davis, Gowdy, Hershberger, McCormick, Weaver and maybe Grissom).

Did the distributor just have a bunch of extras around for these guys and thus didn't re-print them? Or were they really only issued in one year and not the next?

As you can tell I've become more than slightly obsessed about this set!

Tom

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club. www.oldbaseball.com
Old 03-18-2024, 07:59 PM

There are 12 cards that are featured in both the 1938 and 1939 W711-1 Reds sets that contain differences in their writeups on the back. Here are those cards and the differences between the two years (In most cases I have provided little snippets from the respective bios to identify them below):

Wally Berger:

1938 - "in a trade...in June"
1939 - "in a trade...in June, 1938"

Paul Derringer:

1938 - "Won 22 games...this season"
1939 - "Won 21 games...last year"

Linus Frey:

1938 - "only 25 now"
1939 - "only 26 now"

Lee Gamble:

1938 - "Syracuse last year"
1939 - "Syracuse in 1937"

Ival Goodman:

1938 - No mention of 30 homers
1939 - Mentions hitting 30 homers

Lee Grissom:

1938 - No mention of 1938
1939 - Mentions 1938

Ernie Lombardi:

1938 - No mention of 1938 MVP
1939 - Mentions 1938 MVP

Bill McKechnie:

1938 - "Last year he led..."
1939 - "In 1937 he led..."

Lloyd "Whitey" Moore:

1938 - "Last year with Syracuse"
1939 - "In 1937 with Syracuse"

Billly Myers:

1938 - "In his fourth year"
1939 - "In his fifth year"

Lee Riggs:

1938 - "In his fourth season"
1939 - "In his fifth season"

Wm. "Bucky" Walters:

1938 - "Won 14 games"
1939 - "Won 15 games"

And the following 6 are featured in both sets but have no differences in the writeups between the years:

Harry Craft
Ray "Peaches" Davis
Harry "Hank" Gowdy
Williard Hershberger
Frank McCormick
Jim Weaver

Still not sure about distribution of the set...this still remains quite the mystery.

Brian
Old 03-19-2024, 08:16 PM
Er1k Greeń.w00d

Bob C.

Very late to the game:

My dad got me my first pre-war in 1982 - T-206 Oscar Stanage.

ever owned at any one time? ~About 800 baseball and 1,400 non-sports

~ about the same as #2

W517 Gehrig, Ruths (35G and Sanella) and Stanages for sentimental value

T200 (missing 2)
35 Goudey 4 in 1
34-36 Diamond Stars
T218
Several non-sports - N3, T29, T52, T59, T60, T69, T70, T77, T99, T113
Several non-sport partials (>75%) - N21, N31, T6, T28, T51, T57, T108

Erik
Old 03-19-2024, 10:04 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Where the hell did Bob C run off to? Especially during tax season.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 03-19-2024, 10:16 PM
Ed McCollum

Even later to the game:

1989. Found a red background T206 Cobb at an antique store, and it became the first pre-war card I over-paid for.

2. What is the approximate largest number of pre-war cards you've ever owned at any one time?

3. Approximately how many pre-war cards do you currently still own?

4. What is/are the most significant card(s) you currently own?
Several significant HoFers, and a couple tough-Hindu backs

5. What complete sets or near complete sets (say 75% or more) do you currently own?
408 T206s, all with Howe McCormick's stamp on the back (barely qualifies ... the collection sits at 78% of a complete set (522 cards as the McCormick-Howe Mercantile didn't sell Polar Bear, so a complete set is short two guys.))

Ed

Last edited by Howe’s Hunter; 03-19-2024 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-20-2024, 10:34 AM
Matt G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howe’s Hunter View Post
Even later to the game:

5. What complete sets or near complete sets (say 75% or more) do you currently own?
408 T206s, all with Howe McCormick's stamp on the back (barely qualifies ... the collection sits at 78% of a complete set (522 cards as the McCormick-Howe Mercantile didn't sell Polar Bear, so a complete set is short two guys.))

Ed
I’ve admired and enjoyed watching you progress on the Howe’s journey from afar.

Very cool way to collect T206. I’ll be rooting for success on your journey.

Matt Galvin

M@tt G@lvin (formerly LarsHoneyToast)

T206 HOF'ers: 10/76

1956 Topps HOF’ers: 8/36