NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default oy vey..... nice card.....

Need I really say anything? For those not in the know this is a W572 with a fake stamp on the back to defraud collectors, according the the 2011 Krause Big Book.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/1923-NEILSONS-CH...-/200581302078

edited to add that I am NOT saying the seller had anything to do with this card besides selling it.

Last edited by Leon; 03-07-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

There are a few of the graded PSA examples floating around, Ive seen them maybe 5-7 times, but not sure if its the same card or not.

I always wondered how they knew for sure it wasnt a vintage stamp. ???
From what I understand the cards are authentic but the stamp in modern to the 70's with only about 50 known.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

The thing thats curious is this Canadian seller sells alot of Canadian cards....... and Neilsons was a Canadian Candy Co.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkw View Post

There are a few of the graded PSA examples floating around, Ive seen them maybe 5-7 times, but not sure if its the same card or not.

I always wondered how they knew for sure it wasnt a vintage stamp. ???
From what I understand the cards are authentic but the stamp in modern to the 70's with only about 50 known.
My guess is they put 2 and 2 together to know they are modern stamps. Also, the fact that Neilsons never made any cards that resembled this, from everything we know, probably aided in the assessment. Maybe the ink fluoresced too ....btw, this W572 doesn't look so great either but maybe it's just the scan? I have to guess the card is real.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

The back of these and the V61-2 cards say "120" cards and would match the W572 set.

If you look at the example picture of the back in the SCD you will see the stamp in offline, but really the card was miscut after being stamped, because the stamp can be seen on the opposite side.

My question would be why would someone stamp an uncut strip of W572's then cut it up??? In 1996 these were said to be first reported (SCD).

Most collectors would keep it uncut IMO, they are not too common.

Last edited by fkw; 03-07-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:45 PM

Are there other scans of similar cards W572/Nielson backs available? nothing about the back appears to be a stamp, but a normally printed back. I have not handled one in person, but the back certainly looks printed. Nielson's could have had some of the W572 sheets printed with their ad for distribution, various w cards have been found with either stamped or printed ad backs.

Just because SCD put's it in a book doesn't mean a thing.

Last edited by sb1; 03-07-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

On a related note...

Ive had this strange W572 Bibb Falk card with low quality image and different card stock.
Ive had it for about 10 years and when I first got it I also had a red tint one and a blue tint one (I call this one sepia tint).
(the Rixey below it is an authentic one with normal contrast and stock)

Old 03-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Jesse Rosen

The frosted slab, and the offcenter mylar sleeve isn't helping his case either.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Bob Lemke

Default Alan Hager . . . need I say more

When these first surfaced they were being sold by Alan Hager. That was clue #1.

I personally examined a few of the cards that a collector had purchased. Upon microexamination it was evident that back printing had been applied after the cards had been well-circulated.

Oh, yeah . . . sb1, go chase yourself.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 03-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Ke.n K0hen

Default Oy Vey

"oy vey"

Leon -

In Philly next month, I want to hear how that's pronounced with a Texas accent.

PS - Received my B&L winnings today. WooHoo!

Ken
Old 03-07-2011, 03:41 PM

So in other words these were deemed bad by being associated with Alan Hager.

While he has certainly had a colorful past in the hobby, he did bring quite a few unknown items to the hobby which were legit and he frequented Canada and Canadian shows quite a bit early on. There is more evidence that these could likely be good rather than bad.

I will reserve final judgement until I can actually examine one myself.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:36 AM

jesse,

the slab and sleeve are actually fine. that card was graded by PSA some time ago and there are a bunch of them running around. just a really bad mistake by PSA that was never corrected.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:39 AM
Steve Birmingham

That's an odd one. In the scans the stock actually looks like the same stuff. Maybe a very slightly different texture, but it's pretty rough/cheap cardboard so that's no surprise.

Steve B

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkw View Post
On a related note...

Ive had this strange W572 Bibb Falk card with low quality image and different card stock.
Ive had it for about 10 years and when I first got it I also had a red tint one and a blue tint one (I call this one sepia tint).
(the Rixey below it is an authentic one with normal contrast and stock)

Old 03-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Jesse Rosen

Then why does it look so frosty? It is on a black background, but you cant see any of the "clear" sections thats are normally located next to the little "tamper evidence bars".

If thats not a frosted case, can someone plese post a picture of one that is?

Thanks,
Jesse