NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 01-12-2021, 05:55 PM
D@le Irv*n

Default Any Mario Lemieux OPC RC experts here?

While on a vintage hockey card site on face book, someone posted a RC of Mario that was quickly thought/proven to be fake so I posted and asked about mine as it is raw and was purchased raw.

I posted pics of the card, front and back, as well as a zoomed in scan of the Penguin but according the person who was offering help, he said the zoomed in pic wasn't good enough?

I've read a few articles and "I think" mine is good but I'd really like to know for sure if anyone here can tell me that, if possible? In all honesty, when I purchased this card, naively, Mario's weren't very expensive so I didn't think anyone had faked any. Dumb, I know.

My eyes aren't as good as they once were, even with glasses on but I do need to acquire a loupe, no doubt about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mario Lemieux RC OPC 85.jpg (73.4 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg Mario RC OPC back.jpg (74.4 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg Mario Penguin.jpg (11.7 KB, 168 views)
Old 01-12-2021, 07:39 PM
J0hn H@rper

If you don't get a loupe soon, I'm going to send a carrier pigeon to Canada with one (and instructions for him to peck you mercilessly)
Old 01-12-2021, 10:47 PM
Anson

I would need higher res scans to tell for sure. But I think it's good.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:34 PM
Jeff

Looks good Dale, I wouldn't be concerned!

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 01-13-2021, 12:51 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
If you don't get a loupe soon, I'm going to send a carrier pigeon to Canada with one (and instructions for him to peck you mercilessly)
LoL I hear ya, John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
I would need higher res scans to tell for sure. But I think it's good.
Thanks. I appreciate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post
Looks good Dale, I wouldn't be concerned!
Thanks Jeff.

Good to hear!
Old 01-13-2021, 07:21 PM
Eric Perry

Looks good, from what I can see.

If you have a high-res scan, PM me and I'll give you my email address. I can take a close look at the fine details for you.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 01-14-2021, 10:44 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Looks good, from what I can see.

If you have a high-res scan, PM me and I'll give you my email address. I can take a close look at the fine details for you.
Thanks for the offer, Eric. I just finished rescanning the penguin and card at 600 and 1200 DPI so these scans should be much better?

I'm not trying to influence your opinion, but after looking at these new scans, and comparing to what I seen in an article yesterday, I am 99.9% sure my Mario is good.
https://forums.collectors.com/discus...ux-rookie-pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mario 600 Penguin.jpg (58.6 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg Mario 1200 Penguin.jpg (76.6 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg Mario 600.jpg (76.3 KB, 125 views)
Old 01-14-2021, 01:31 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Thanks for the offer, Eric. I just finished rescanning the penguin and card at 600 and 1200 DPI so these scans should be much better?

I'm not trying to influence your opinion, but after looking at these new scans, and comparing to what I seen in an article yesterday, I am 99.9% sure my Mario is good.
https://forums.collectors.com/discus...ux-rookie-pics
Positively Perfect Penguin!

Looks good, sir.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 01-14-2021, 04:56 PM
Anson

Yep, you're looking at the right stuff. Le Magnifique!
Old 01-14-2021, 05:35 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Positively Perfect Penguin!

Looks good, sir.
Quote:
Yep, you're looking at the right stuff. Le Magnifique!
Thanks guys!

Good to know.
Old 01-15-2021, 04:38 PM

I'm no expert, but I was thinking it looked good myself.
Looks to be in nice shape too. I would get it graded with the way the prices have been going.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:05 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohman99 View Post
I'm no expert, but I was thinking it looked good myself.
Looks to be in nice shape too. I would get it graded with the way the prices have been going.
Thanks.

Condition wise, it is in great shape but the tilt/OC part of it would definitely hurt it when it came to a solid high grade.

Guessing, I'd put it in the 6-7 range but I may be overrating it?
A slightly better scan which shows the tilt/OC better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mario Lemieux 85 OPC RC.jpg (77.1 KB, 108 views)
Old 01-15-2021, 06:57 PM
Anson

I would put it at Ex-Mt with the centering and cut. It could do better if youre willing to accept qualifiers
Old 01-17-2021, 09:36 PM

Are you guys watching the PWCC Lemieux OPC PSA 10? Over $50K already with a little over a week to go. Man do I regret not buying when these were cheap. Great for the hobby.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:00 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
Are you guys watching the PWCC Lemieux OPC PSA 10? Over $50K already with a little over a week to go. Man do I regret not buying when these were cheap. Great for the hobby.
I came across it last night and decided to check it out when it was sitting at $40k. After looking at, I clicked back and seen it had already jumped to $45k in the 30 seconds I took checking it out!

Real interested to see where this one ends.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:32 AM
Patrick N.

Default Great Card

Great card, looks good. Seems to be a 7, and you should grade it from a financial standpoint
Old 01-21-2021, 10:40 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
Great card, looks good. Seems to be a 7, and you should grade it from a financial standpoint
Thank you!

I agree, I should get it graded, and just might, but I believe, instead of sending it to SGC, PSA or Beckett stateside, I may use a newer company up here called MNT grading?
They are not far from me and it would be much cheaper. CDN dollar with no exchange rate, cheaper CDN shipping fees and no cross border mailing risks. I've been doing some research and looking at some of their slabbed cards and so far, I like what I see.
If and when this covid thing ends, I may just delivery my cards to them in person rather than risk any type of shipping problems? I could also pick them up when they were finished which would also make me feel a lot better too.
Currently, I likely have around 30+ cards I'd like to get graded so it just makes sense to me. Their popularity is also gaining traction so that is a plus as well.
https://mntgrading.com/
Old 01-22-2021, 12:06 PM
Anson

Stay away from graders other than PSA, SGC, or BGS. Unless all you care about is getting it slabbed. Its worth spending a few extra bucks and waiting for an OPC Lemieux rookie. Mint graded cards have been pretty inconsistent and will never sell for a fraction of the big 3.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:15 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Stay away from graders other than PSA, SGC, or BGS. Unless all you care about is getting it slabbed. Its worth spending a few extra bucks and waiting for an OPC Lemieux rookie. Mint graded cards have been pretty inconsistent and will never sell for a fraction of the big 3.
I know there is a very slim chance that MNT will ever be highly regarded as the big 3, but, from what I have seen so far, I think they are a pretty legit company.
I've read some reviews on a couple other forums and the majority is fairly positive with quite a few also saying they are going to try/use them soon.

What stories have you read/heard about them being inconsistent?
Old 01-23-2021, 12:19 PM
Anson

Quote:
I know there is a very slim chance that MNT will ever be highly regarded as the big 3, but, from what I have seen so far, I think they are a pretty legit company.
I've read some reviews on a couple other forums and the majority is fairly positive with quite a few also saying they are going to try/use them soon.

What stories have you read/heard about them being inconsistent?
Outside of the grading being a little soft for the grade, the perception is they aren't very knowledgeable in the vintage space. Most of their submissions are modern. Keep in mind, if you aren't planning on keeping the cards forever, you're better off only grading them once. MNT may take off at some point. But. I would hate to have to crack a card out and resubmit to another TPG just so I can get fair value for my stuff. It also risks damaging the card to do so

The big three certainly have their own challenges. But I would stick with them if it were my Lemieux. I would be more inclined to try them on modern stuff I was planning to keep.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:58 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Thank you!

I agree, I should get it graded, and just might, but I believe, instead of sending it to SGC, PSA or Beckett stateside, I may use a newer company up here called MNT grading?
They are not far from me and it would be much cheaper. CDN dollar with no exchange rate, cheaper CDN shipping fees and no cross border mailing risks. I've been doing some research and looking at some of their slabbed cards and so far, I like what I see.
If and when this covid thing ends, I may just delivery my cards to them in person rather than risk any type of shipping problems? I could also pick them up when they were finished which would also make me feel a lot better too.
Currently, I likely have around 30+ cards I'd like to get graded so it just makes sense to me. Their popularity is also gaining traction so that is a plus as well.
https://mntgrading.com/
Isn't KSA a solid option? (asking, not telling)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 01-24-2021, 08:52 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Outside of the grading being a little soft for the grade, the perception is they aren't very knowledgeable in the vintage space. Most of their submissions are modern. Keep in mind, if you aren't planning on keeping the cards forever, you're better off only grading them once. MNT may take off at some point. But. I would hate to have to crack a card out and resubmit to another TPG just so I can get fair value for my stuff. It also risks damaging the card to do so

The big three certainly have their own challenges. But I would stick with them if it were my Lemieux. I would be more inclined to try them on modern stuff I was planning to keep.
I hear ya but being up here in Canada, I am at a disadvantage due to the exchange rate and shipping across the border. Shipping is something that has always concerned me, especially with some of my 52 Topps cards. Not that I am necessarily going to have MNT grade my 52's, but it is a possibility? My thoughts were to get some of my modern hockey graded to see how they do then go from there. I've been kicking around this idea about getting my cards graded for 5 yrs now, so don't take it to the bank that I necessarily will.

Quote:
Isn't KSA a solid option? (asking, not telling)
There are so many stories, both good and bad, about KSA it is hard to make up my mind. I have heard the new guy, Nate, is real good, but with their previous rep, I am not sure if that rep will ever be erased? MNT is closer to me as well, and like I mentioned above about dropping my cards off directly, MNT just makes the most sense to me at this point.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:43 PM

PWCC Lemieux at $80K right now. Wow.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:48 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
PWCC Lemieux at $80K right now. Wow.
Is it going to crack a $100k? I'm not betting against it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-O-Pee-...A/402648369679