NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 06-17-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Sorry to hear that. I'm not a numismatist, the only coins I have are my junk silver and some ASEs. Aren't there tests you can do on the coins? I test my silver bullion and scrap sterling that I pick up here and there.
yes, but I've seen "circulated" fake Morgans that weigh right on and have the same thickness. They are coated in real silver, but are some sort of alloy underneath.

They are used to "cut" junk lots, like drug dealers add say lawn clippings to their marijuana.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:17 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvor View Post
yes, but I've seen "circulated" fake Morgans that weigh right on and have the same thickness. They are coated in real silver, but are some sort of alloy underneath.

They are used to "cut" junk lots, like drug dealers add say lawn clippings to their marijuana.
There are a lot of educational videos on Youtube that show how to spot a fake Morgan. Here is one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJrLM7BYYtE

There are other great videos too.

I'm not a numismatist nor a metallurgist, but the easiest way to spot a fake Morgan is by the size/weight. That just absolutely, positively can not be faked. No way.

Silver doesn't weigh the same as copper, zinc or whatever. So, if you weigh a real Morgan and a fake Morgan and they both weigh the same, then one of them has to be different in size/thickness. Likewise, if you have a real Morgan and a fake Morgan and they're the same size/thickness, they would have to have a different weight.

If I were buying a junk lot and there were Morgans mixed in, I would at least test a few right then and there before completing the purchase. If you're making an online purchase, then stick with one of the reputable dealers - Modern Coin Mart, APMEX, SilverTowne, etc. These guys have built a great reputation and aren't going to ruin that with a few fake junk silver Morgans.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:51 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Here is a great video how to spot fake silver bullion...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rjJmGGkNPU

These aren't baseball cards that can be altered in many different ways - trimmed, re-colored, rebuilt corners, soaked in chemicals, etc.

We're taking silver bullion and coins. They're either silver or they're not.

If you're interested in an acid test kit, here's a good one for starters.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Test...72.m2749.l2649
Old 06-17-2019, 08:20 AM
Ben North

I do have a few questions.

Why would anyone save silver for when the economy completely collapses?

Seriously why would silver have any value, because some people hoarded it?

If silver is being mined at 9 times the rate of gold what is it being used for? There is already so much gold that has been mined that if any small country was to sell all their gold. It would make it almost worthless world wide.

Is the market only hanging on now because the hoarders are supporting it?
Old 06-17-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post

Because that's what the guys on a message board say.
Of course they don't mention if the refineries will produce fuel for silver or be taken over by the feds, cartels or whatever.

Quote:

If silver is being mined at 9 times the rate of gold what is it being used for? There is already so much gold that has been mined that if any small country was to sell all their gold. It would make it almost worthless world wide.

No, the federal government is holding the price of silver down so we think "money" is currency and we keep our fiat bills. This keeps the lower and middle classes in check and they can simply print more and more paper currency. HOUSE OF CARDS WILL FALL!!!

Geeze, inform yourself already.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:48 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvor View Post
Because that's what the guys on a message board say.
Of course they don't mention if the refineries will produce fuel for silver or be taken over by the feds, cartels or whatever.

No, the federal government is holding the price of silver down so we think "money" is currency and we keep our fiat bills. This keeps the lower and middle classes in check and they can simply print more and more paper currency. HOUSE OF CARDS WILL FALL!!!

Geeze, inform yourself already.
Geeezzz ….

Shiny side out! SHINY. SIDE. OUT.

Last edited by steve B; 06-18-2019 at 07:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-17-2019, 09:05 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:

Good questions, Ben. I can answer a few, but only speculate on others.

Quote:
Probably a question better addressed by a prepper, but my guess is that people would still have to buy things and silver would be a way to barter if the dollar became useless and nobody wanted it. Many years ago, other countries wanted the American dollar. Now days, they're trying to get rid of it. Why? Silver and gold have been currencies for thousands of years. In fact, in 15 different languages the word silver and money are the same word. Again, why?

Quote:
Same answer as above but, if that were the case, I'm sure other precious metals would have the same kind of purchasing power.

Quote:
There are many industrial uses for silver. Here is an article that describes some.

https://www.learcapital.com/news-blo...es-for-silver/

Quote:
No. Only a small amount of silver is made available to the public. I read the numbers once, but I don't remember off hand. I want to say it was like 10-20%, but I may be off on that. I'll try and look it up though. But most of it is used for industrial purposes.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:23 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
I found this article online. I only skimmed over it, but it looks like 28% of the annual silver supply is used for investment.

https://www.jmbullion.com/investing-...bullion-today/

Keep in mind though, that some of that isn't held by stackers. The IRS will let you have a self-directed IRA backed by precious metals. The tax laws are complicated for that and I don't participate, but I do know that one of the requirements is that you cannot physically hold the metals. It has to be held by private 3rd party storage companies.

For me, I want silver that I can actually hold, that I possess, not in some vault (unless it's a bank safe deposit box). I don't want a certificate, a silver EFT or anything else that shows I own it on paper. I want it in my possession.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:00 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Today's history lesson

In 1933, just one month after his inauguration, FDR signed Executive Order 6102 which required Americans to surrender their gold to the US Government. Most did, some didn't. Many people refer to this as gold confiscation, but really they compensated folks at $20.67 per troy ounce. Immediately after the EO 6102 The Gold Confiscation Act, err, I mean the surrender period, came the Gold Reserve Act of 1934 where the government raised the price of gold to $35 per troy ounce, basically screwing everybody out of $14.33 per troy ounce. That isn't much today, but it was a lot back then right after the Great Depression. Ever wonder where the gold in Fort Knox came from? That's it. It also made it illegal for citizens to own gold (other than jewelry). Wow! Don't believe me, look it up for yourself. Gold ownership remained illegal until 1974 when Gerald Ford signed legislation to repeal HO 6102.

If the government confiscated private citizen's gold once and made gold ownership illegal, what's to say they couldn't do it again? Or silver too, or any other precious metal? If anybody thinks that couldn't happen in our country today, they are sadly disillusioned. That's another reason I stack silver.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:34 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Very interesting video for industrial uses...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4tCOb24fuiE
Old 06-17-2019, 11:28 AM
Al Wright

I'm strictly gold, bullion value only, no numismatics. While I keep about 100 ozs of silver, again strictly US Eagles for bullion purposes, the storage demands of silver as compared to gold are enormous. If any reading this thread want to pick up some info on the topic I would recommend a site: 321gold.com. They have a trove of good articles to read from many different perspectives. Just my personal opinion, buy anyone with the ability to acquire some metal should seriously consider it. It is and has always been a safe haven in times of economic and social uncertainty. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:15 PM
Barry Sloate

David- I like the idea of having precious metals- I'm probably more of a gold bug than a silver one- but I'm surprised that they've been trading in such a very narrow range for so long. Remember when silver would shoot up to $40-50 an ounce? Now I can't recall when it has traded outside $13-15 an ounce. There doesn't seem a whole lot of interest in gold or silver these days.

I've thought about putting away some precious metals but I don't know if there is any money to be made. I recently started collecting currency, and I have some nice gold and silver certificates, but they are of course only symbolic. You can't get silver or gold on demand any more.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:19 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58pinson View Post
I'm strictly gold, bullion value only, no numismatics. While I keep about 100 ozs of silver, again strictly US Eagles for bullion purposes, the storage demands of silver as compared to gold are enormous. If any reading this thread want to pick up some info on the topic I would recommend a site: 321gold.com. They have a trove of good articles to read from many different perspectives. Just my personal opinion, buy anyone with the ability to acquire some metal should seriously consider it. It is and has always been a safe haven in times of economic and social uncertainty. Just my 2 cents.
Very cool. We don't have to limit the discussion to just silver. We can talk gold too (or any other metal). I would love to hear what you stack and your reason(s) for stacking?