NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-09-2023, 05:23 PM
GasHouseGang's Avatar
GasHouseGang GasHouseGang is offline
David M.
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S. California
Posts: 2,860
Default Some People Will Collect Anything

I'm going to walk out on this limb and I'll see if it gets sawed off. I collect CDs. There I said it. I sometimes feel like the only one that still wants them, but I'm starting to see some people on YouTube that are also admitting to collecting them.

I wish I could be one of those cool and hip people that collect records. I do have records, maybe 50, but I more actively collect CDs. I just wish that someone would write a definitive guide and maybe include prices for the rarer CDs. There have been some collecting books written on CDs in the past. I know, because I've bought several of them, and they have been very helpful. They are good for general information about the CDs history and so on. But what I'd really like to see is much more information about the rare pressings, what rare numbering around the inner ring to look for, that sort of thing. You know, the kind of information they've been printing about records for years.

When they started selling CDs at the thrift stores for a dollar or two, it made CDs seem like an incredible bargain. My kids had paid $1 for a single song to put on their portables or computer, only to lose them all when the computer or portable quit working. I wanted something I owned that I wouldn't keep getting charged for, and that I could listen to when I wanted. Did you know that there's no legal “right” to copy the copyrighted music on a CD onto another media? You legally must own the physical CD.

So I collect something that most people seem to think is stupid, but I remember when I started collecting baseball cards and got the same reaction.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-09-2023, 07:42 PM
JollyElm's Avatar
JollyElm JollyElm is offline
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7,374
Default

Old school, love it! What are your more rarer/valuable(?) CDs?
__________________
All the cool kids love my YouTube Channel:
Elm's Adventures in Cardboard Land

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-09-2023, 09:18 PM
Casey2296's Avatar
Casey2296 Casey2296 is online now
Is Mudville so bad?
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: West Coast
Posts: 4,695
Default

I like the P-Vine records Japanese imports. A lot of good music on that label.
__________________
Phil Lewis


https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-09-2023, 11:11 PM
sthoemke sthoemke is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 374
Default

I always looks over the CD selections at thrift stores/flea markets, etc. Prices are usially $1 or sometimes $2. Tough to find the bands I am looking for. ebay is good for buying lots. Record stores seem to price about 3X as high what you migh find online (no shipping costs, of course).

Someday, I hope to own complete CD runs of Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Scorpions, Red Hot Chili Peppers, AC/DC, and ZZ Top.

Last edited by sthoemke; 09-09-2023 at 11:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-09-2023, 11:41 PM
NiceDocter NiceDocter is offline
Rocky Rockwell
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jacksonville , Florida
Posts: 1,120
Default My Best One

My best CD is a 3 year at 5.85 %. non callable.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-10-2023, 12:57 AM
GasHouseGang's Avatar
GasHouseGang GasHouseGang is offline
David M.
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S. California
Posts: 2,860
Default

The Japanese imports seem to bring the most money. I have some Japanese box sets for Thin Lizzy for example, and Aerosmith that contain every album in their catalog. These are very rare and expensive (around $1K).

Of course you aren't likely to find these at thrift stores. I bought the ones I have at a music auction of someone's estate that had collected hundreds of CD sets from Japan. The most desirable CDs you're likely to find "in the wild" are early pressings made in Japan or West Germany. This is where the first CD pressing plants were located. The first US pressings weren't until around 1984.

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 09-12-2023 at 11:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-07-2023, 12:45 PM
gawaintheknight gawaintheknight is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
My best CD is a 3 year at 5.85 %. non callable.
+1
__________________
My website: https://edwardwclayton.wixsite.com/my-site
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-18-2023, 04:19 PM
GasHouseGang's Avatar
GasHouseGang GasHouseGang is offline
David M.
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S. California
Posts: 2,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Old school, love it! What are your more rarer/valuable(?) CDs?
As I mentioned before, typically the most valuable CD's are the first pressings made in Japan or West Germany (where the first CD plants were located). All of the early CD's sold in the US were from one of these plants. The first album to be released on CD was Billy Joel's 52nd Street, that reached the market alongside Sony's CD player CDP-101 on October 1, 1982 in Japan. Early the following year on March 2, 1983 CD players and discs (16 titles from CBS Records) were released in the United States and other markets.

The very earliest discs were either "black face" or "red face" disks. As the names imply, the entire front of the disc was either black or red and the words were where the color wasn't printed. Shortly after that many of the first "target" discs began to hit the market. Target discs get their name from the cross hairs painted on the rim every 90 degrees. I've attached a picture of some examples of the target discs. These were made from around 1982-1985. There are often different colors of the same disc available, so some people try to collect as many varieties as possible of their favorite groups.

Early on the record companies weren't sure what to do with CDs. For vinyl records they use the RIAA curve. It is an equalization filter applied to vinyl records and then corrected in record player amplifiers in such a way that the listener is never aware that any change has occurred. On the record itself, songs are engraved so that low frequencies are cut in volume while high frequencies are boosted. Should they use the equalization they used for records on CDs?

It was decided by most companies that since the CD was supposed to be nearly perfect from 20Hz-20KHz, that they would just go straight from the master tapes and put that onto the CD without any changes. That has made the early CDs the most desirable version to many collectors because you're getting a copy of the master tape (the way the band wanted the record to sound).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ebay Lot 9-17-2023 for 140 delivered.jpg (176.6 KB, 438 views)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-18-2023, 05:59 PM
gonefishin gonefishin is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 644
Default

Collect what you enjoy, if it's CDs - that's ok.

I recently transferred all my VHS tapes to digital. I'm glad I did, because I can now share videos easily that were made back in the 80s - 90s. I canned the tapes after I made sure I had captured all the movies. Good move, it cleared very valuable storage space!

I personally have only a couple of records, most belonged to my mother so I just keep them as a memory. Attached are a couple of photos, the Hank Williams was hers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0761.jpg (194.4 KB, 429 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0763.jpg (194.8 KB, 428 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0631.jpg (187.7 KB, 434 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0431.jpg (194.4 KB, 432 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0433.jpg (195.6 KB, 433 views)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-18-2023, 08:14 PM
GasHouseGang's Avatar
GasHouseGang GasHouseGang is offline
David M.
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S. California
Posts: 2,860
Default

Great seeing that original Sun record, and I'm a fan of Chet Atkins. I don't collect them, but would certainly keep them if they came from my family.

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 09-18-2023 at 10:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-19-2023, 12:37 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 34,293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
Great seeing that original Sun record, and I'm a fan of Chet Atkins. I don't collect them, but would certainly keep them if they came from my family.
I really like Hank Williams Sr's music a lot. My mom and dad listened to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoO6XVCKDc8

I have a lot of old vinyl. I need to go through them sometime. I have no clue what is there.....
.
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-21-2023, 06:30 PM
nwobhm's Avatar
nwobhm nwobhm is offline
Chris Eberhart
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
I'm going to walk out on this limb and I'll see if it gets sawed off. I collect CDs. There I said it. I sometimes feel like the only one that still wants them, but I'm starting to see some people on YouTube that are also admitting to collecting them.

I wish I could be one of those cool and hip people that collect records. I do have records, maybe 50, but I more actively collect CDs. I just wish that someone would write a definitive guide and maybe include prices for the rarer CDs. There have been some collecting books written on CDs in the past. I know, because I've bought several of them, and they have been very helpful. They are good for general information about the CDs history and so on. But what I'd really like to see is much more information about the rare pressings, what rare numbering around the inner ring to look for, that sort of thing. You know, the kind of information they've been printing about records for years.

When they started selling CDs at the thrift stores for a dollar or two, it made CDs seem like an incredible bargain. My kids had paid $1 for a single song to put on their portables or computer, only to lose them all when the computer or portable quit working. I wanted something I owned that I wouldn't keep getting charged for, and that I could listen to when I wanted. Did you know that there's no legal “right” to copy the copyrighted music on a CD onto another media? You legally must own the physical CD.

So I collect something that most people seem to think is stupid, but I remember when I started collecting baseball cards and got the same reaction.

Are you aware that many of the early CDs are of lesser quality and have been deteriorating for years? Much of what came out of W Germany in the 80’s is substandard in quality. Many came new loaded with pin holes and substandard lamination.

The Japan stuff brings a premium because it was made properly and much of it has lower production. Keep in mind most came with an obi strip too. The Japan promos were pretty scarce back then too, most were waaaaaaay under 100 copies.

The old original MFSL gold discs were some of the better discs and coupled with the gold have a better life expectancy.

I currently collect old TV shows on DVD/BR. They also have issues, off center hubs, lamination errors etc.

Last edited by nwobhm; 09-21-2023 at 07:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-22-2023, 10:05 AM
GasHouseGang's Avatar
GasHouseGang GasHouseGang is offline
David M.
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S. California
Posts: 2,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwobhm View Post
Are you aware that many of the early CDs are of lesser quality and have been deteriorating for years? Much of what came out of W Germany in the 80’s is substandard in quality. Many came new loaded with pin holes and substandard lamination.

The Japan stuff brings a premium because it was made properly and much of it has lower production. Keep in mind most came with an obi strip too. The Japan promos were pretty scarce back then too, most were waaaaaaay under 100 copies.

The old original MFSL gold discs were some of the better discs and coupled with the gold have a better life expectancy.

I currently collect old TV shows on DVD/BR. They also have issues, off center hubs, lamination errors etc.
While I have read about these "deteriorating" discs, but I've never experienced it myself. There an interesting series of posts talking about the quality of the earlier discs that might be of interest:
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...uality.101806/

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 09-22-2023 at 11:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-22-2023, 07:21 PM
nwobhm's Avatar
nwobhm nwobhm is offline
Chris Eberhart
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
While I have read about these "deteriorating" discs, but I've never experienced it myself. There an interesting series of posts talking about the quality of the earlier discs that might be of interest:
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...uality.101806/
The modern higher end players compensate for the defects but at a certain point they will no longer work. I had a few 20yrs ago that failed. They were from W Germany and Australia. Take any silver or clear coated topped CD made in Germany during the 80’s and hold it up to the sun. The number of pin holes will surprise you.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-24-2023, 06:18 PM
Eric72's Avatar
Eric72 Eric72 is offline
Eric Perry
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 3,421
Default

I have a few albums…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AD425710-4782-44C8-8EFD-9CAAB3CB4A04.jpg (205.5 KB, 322 views)
__________________
Eric Perry

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-25-2023, 11:21 AM
GasHouseGang's Avatar
GasHouseGang GasHouseGang is offline
David M.
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S. California
Posts: 2,860
Default

I forgot to mention, some of the most collected CDs are the unopened ones still in the long boxes used at retail. Remember those? When CDs first came out, the retailers were trying to put them in the same bins used for records. So they created the "long box". Prices are all over the place for these. Some go for several hundred, while others are only around $20. I don't collect these, so I can't really say what drives the price higher for some titles. Some people just collect the boxes themselves, and don't care if the CD is in the box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CD Longbox Example.jpg (81.8 KB, 306 views)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-25-2023, 11:35 AM
AustinMike's Avatar
AustinMike AustinMike is offline
Michael
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I have a few albums…
Eric,

Where did you get the shelves from? I've been looking for something like that for my records which are mostly in particle board cubes from 40 years ago. Have you had them very long? Any concern with sagging shelves?

Nice collection, by the way.
__________________
M.!.c.h.@.3.L. . H.v.n.T
_____________________________
Don't believe everything you think
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-25-2023, 06:48 PM
Eric72's Avatar
Eric72 Eric72 is offline
Eric Perry
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 3,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post
Eric,

Where did you get the shelves from? I've been looking for something like that for my records which are mostly in particle board cubes from 40 years ago. Have you had them very long? Any concern with sagging shelves?

Nice collection, by the way.
Ikea; they're 16 cube (4x4) shelving units. I've had them for nearly 20 years. Zero issues with sagging.
__________________
Eric Perry

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-26-2023, 02:28 PM
AustinMike's Avatar
AustinMike AustinMike is offline
Michael
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Ikea; they're 16 cube (4x4) shelving units. I've had them for nearly 20 years. Zero issues with sagging.
Thanks Eric. Unfortunately, they don't make those anymore. I had looked into them a year or two ago and they have a new version out now. I'm hesitant to get them because the shelf just doesn't look strong enough to me. Although, since yours have lasted for nearly 20 years, I might have to reconsider.
__________________
M.!.c.h.@.3.L. . H.v.n.T
_____________________________
Don't believe everything you think
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-26-2023, 03:51 PM
GasHouseGang's Avatar
GasHouseGang GasHouseGang is offline
David M.
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S. California
Posts: 2,860
Default

They have it on Amazon:
https://tinyurl.com/5ydkkxje
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-01-2023, 01:55 PM
BobbyStrawberry's Avatar
BobbyStrawberry BobbyStrawberry is offline
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: USA
Posts: 2,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I have a few albums…
Just a few, eh?
__________________
_
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why do you collect what you collect? (+ Introduction) nat Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 12 04-14-2016 01:52 PM
Why don't more people collect Baseball Hall of Fame Rookie Cards? bcbgcbrcb Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 100 03-10-2013 12:11 PM
Do U.K. people collect American baseball cards? zljones Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 22 03-28-2012 07:20 AM
Seriously, People . . . vargha Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 13 09-06-2011 05:01 PM
WHY DO PEOPLE COLLECT 19th CENTURY? Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 23 12-11-2003 05:32 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:13 PM.


ebay GSB