NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 02-05-2015, 01:57 PM
pariah1107

I had a lot of jobs in Alaska, I started out as a cannery worker on the "slime line" (don't ask), then went to bait sales/longshoreman, was a deckhand on a few boats, and finally as a diver for shipyards and pier construction companies. The worst pain of my life was without question, January 2003.

I was working on a crab boat during Opilio season. This was one of the last seasons of the Alaska crab "derby" fishery, which were only days, at most two weeks windows to catch what you can. Now, as shown on Deadliest Catch the boats have IFQ's, and months to drop pots in the water. It's much safer.

On the second day of Opi season I was hit by a swinging crab pot, imagine a Volkswagen being thrown at your chest. I later found out I had broken my collarbone, cracked a rib, but the worst and most obvious pain was a bruised coccyx when I was knocked on my a$$ to the deck.

We're on Bristol Bay, Alaska, at best, two days back to port or even a few lost hours to medevac me during the derby cost everyone money. Tough it out. In a calm January on the Bay waves average 8-12 feet. Ever ride a horse with a bruised tailbone for 24 hours let alone 10-14 days? Standing was uncomfortable, sitting was not an option, and laying down hurt everywhere.

It was the longest two weeks of my life, but we killed that season. The owner gave me a double share, and wrote a glowing letter of recommendation that got me into diving school. Not likely to ever forget that.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:09 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post
I had a lot of jobs in Alaska, I started out as a cannery worker on the "slime line" (don't ask), then went to bait sales/longshoreman, was a deckhand on a few boats, and finally as a diver for shipyards and pier construction companies. The worst pain of my life was without question, January 2003.

I was working on a crab boat during Opilio season. This was one of the last seasons of the Alaska crab "derby" fishery, which were only days, at most two weeks windows to catch what you can. Now, as shown on Deadliest Catch the boats have IFQ's, and months to drop pots in the water. It's much safer.

On the second day of Opi season I was hit by a swinging crab pot, imagine a Volkswagen being thrown at your chest. I later found out I had broken my collarbone, cracked a rib, but the worst and most obvious pain was a bruised coccyx when I was knocked on my a$$ to the deck.

We're on Bristol Bay, Alaska, at best, two days back to port or even a few lost hours to medevac me during the derby cost everyone money. Tough it out. In a calm January on the Bay waves average 8-12 feet. Ever ride a horse with a bruised tailbone for 24 hours let alone 10-14 days? Standing was uncomfortable, sitting was not an option, and laying down hurt everywhere.

It was the longest two weeks of my life, but we killed that season. The owner gave me a double share, and wrote a glowing letter of recommendation that got me into diving school. Not likely to ever forget that.

Nice story. "Deadliest Catch" is one of my favorite shows ever. I always missed that first seasons drama, when quotas weren't much of an issue and they would just pile up the crab on the deck if they couldn't fit it in the tanks anymore.

Wondered why they never did that again, and you kind of cleared it up for me.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:16 PM
Dave

Worst pain for me was probably a burn. Went to jump start one of our cars with cheap jumper cables and the process melted the rubber sheath right off the handles. I didn't notice and when I went to grab the handles to remove them I instantly seared my fingertips. It happened so fast I thought I got electrocuted at first.

I didn't even feel it at first, but when the feeling started coming back it was so intense it made me want to vomit. I was told by the paramedics that was actually a good sign I was getting pain.......meant I didn't kill the nerves off and it would most likely heal, which it did.

I've had worse injuries, but that was the worst pain.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:22 PM
pariah1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Nice story. "Deadliest Catch" is one of my favorite shows ever. I always missed that first seasons drama, when quotas weren't much of an issue and they would just pile up the crab on the deck if they couldn't fit it in the tanks anymore.

Ugh, tough to say this but the crab that was piled on boat decks was what fishermen call "dead loss". Crab cannot live without circulated seawater tanks, and must be delivered live to the processing facility. Dead loss is piled on boat decks during off-loading by the beach gang. This happens frequently, but has probably been censored by producers of the show

To avoid controversy: Since the IFQ system has been implemented fishermen lives have been saved or at less risk, and the amount of "wasted fishery" has diminished. There is always room for improvement.

Very sorry Pete, don't mean to derail the thread.

Last edited by pariah1107; 02-05-2015 at 05:40 PM. Reason: disclaimer
Old 02-08-2015, 03:55 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post

I am also a "Deadliest Catch" fan. Over Christmas and New Year's, I read Scott Campbell Jr.'s book "Giving the Finger: Risking it All to Fish the World's Deadliest Sea." The book is a quick read at around 250 pages, but he really gets into what it is like to work on a crab boat as a greenhorn or a full-share deckhand.

Campbell also talks about the "Derby" style fishing of the old days and how dangerous it made the fishing because captains never wanted their crew to sleep because any time spent sleeping was time that other boats were catching crab. Now that each boat has a fixed quota of how much crab they can catch, captains are more willing to allow the crew to get at least some sleep.

Campbell talked hauling/setting gear for 36 hours straight, sleeping four hours, then hauling/setting gear for another 36 hours straight in the days of "Derby" fishing.

http://www.amazon.com/Giving-Finger-...tt+campbell+jr

Last edited by Bored5000; 02-08-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:15 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post

Agreed...good story...you are a gamer...I can only imagine how that'd been?
Old 02-05-2015, 03:35 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Rectal surgery. Three days out, taking the maximum dose of vikes, I couldn't sit up for more than a few minutes. And using the toilet...looked like when Captain Kirk gets hit with the brain ray on Star Trek.

Honorable Mention: when the novocaine wore off during a vasectomy.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-05-2015, 03:41 PM
Jason Albregts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Don't tell me that, I'm due for that surgery this year.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:40 PM
Dave

I have a bad history of small bowel obstructions. Ten times in the past 7 years. Three surgeries. Grown men do cry. The last time I spent 6 weeks after the surgery waiting and hoping my bowels would start working. Pain meds were good !
Old 02-05-2015, 05:49 PM
De@n Fl!ck

This thread is like an auto accident. I could not help but slow down and look.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:51 PM
John Hanssen

Last year I was told I have 5 kidney stones, I've only have 4 more to go now. YA for me something to look forward to.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:53 PM

When the Seahawks screwed up at the one yard line because I would have won the Net54 Playoff Pool if they had scored. Seriously, I would have to go with the day before I had my appendix removed.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:11 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

No PAIN
No GAIN
(for me)

I feel like I'm eavesdropping on my patients reading this thread.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:35 AM
Roy W.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Rectal surgery. Three days out, taking the maximum dose of vikes, I couldn't sit up for more than a few minutes. And using the toilet...looked like when Captain Kirk gets hit with the brain ray on Star Trek.

Jesus Christ, you've been violated in both front and rear

And I thought having my shoulder pop out and reset multiple times was bad...